PDA

View Full Version : Re: bikes in Cambridge

JMS
October 27th 10, 07:57 PM
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:47:46 +0100, Phil W Lee >
wrote:

<snip>

>I keep the headlight that doesn't have a nice sharp cutoff as main
>beam, and position it so that the button is right next to my thumb, so
>I can switch it off when it would dazzle oncoming road users, leaving
>only the dipped beam equivalent light and the 5 led flashing marker at
>the front.
>The conical beam light also has a flexible mounting so I can aim it
>low and flick it and thus convey to passing large vehicles by flashing
>it when they have cleared me and can safely move back in, for which I
>get an alternate indicator flash of acknowledgement.
>The rear facing leds are mounted in the handlebar ends (2 flashing
>each side), a mixture of 5 and 3 led rear lights (one incorporating a
>full rear reflector on the back of the rack), and 4 flashing leds on
>each arm and ankle band (2 rear and 32 side on each),
>The head torch I generally keep on low, as it's handy to be able to
>see my computer and is available to deal with any mechanicals where
>the ability to use both hands is a benefit.
>
>I do have rear and pedal reflectors, and wheel reflectors on one bike.
>There is reflective material on rack pack, bar bag, and panniers, and
>on the rear mudguard.
>
>using rechargeable cells minimises the cost of all this - I use low
>self discharge NiMH cells with 800mA/Hr for the AAAs and 2100mA/Hr for
>the AAs.
>
>So my lights are not ridiculously bright, but at the rear, cover a
>large area to give a good idea of the size of my bike with me on it.

When the definition of a psycholist was written - the following was
very much tongue in cheek:

7) BSO : a bicycle shaped object. If someone's bicycle is not
top of the range, costing at least £500 with disc brakes, and at least
73 LEDs at the front and 67 when viewed from the rear, then it cannot
be called a bicycle. Anything bought from Halfrauds (sic) must be a
BSO.

I rest my case.

Clive George
October 27th 10, 08:21 PM
On 27/10/2010 19:57, JMS wrote:

> When the definition of a psycholist was written - the following was
> very much tongue in cheek:
>
> 7) BSO : a bicycle shaped object. If someone's bicycle is not
> top of the range, costing at least £500 with disc brakes, and at least
> 73 LEDs at the front and 67 when viewed from the rear, then it cannot
> be called a bicycle. Anything bought from Halfrauds (sic) must be a
> BSO.

So now you're complaining that people invest in lights? Would you rather
they go around unlit?

> I rest my case.

I very much doubt it.

mileburner
October 27th 10, 08:33 PM
"Clive George" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> On 27/10/2010 19:57, JMS wrote:
>
>> When the definition of a psycholist was written - the following was
>> very much tongue in cheek:
>>
>> 7) BSO : a bicycle shaped object. If someone's bicycle is not
>> top of the range, costing at least £500 with disc brakes, and at least
>> 73 LEDs at the front and 67 when viewed from the rear, then it cannot
>> be called a bicycle. Anything bought from Halfrauds (sic) must be a
>> BSO.
>
> So now you're complaining that people invest in lights? Would you rather
> they go around unlit?

Nah, it gives it something to bitch about.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
October 27th 10, 09:52 PM
JMS wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:47:46 +0100, Phil W Lee >
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> I keep the headlight that doesn't have a nice sharp cutoff as main
>> beam, and position it so that the button is right next to my thumb,
>> so I can switch it off when it would dazzle oncoming road users,
>> leaving only the dipped beam equivalent light and the 5 led flashing
>> marker at the front.
>> The conical beam light also has a flexible mounting so I can aim it
>> low and flick it and thus convey to passing large vehicles by
>> flashing it when they have cleared me and can safely move back in,
>> for which I get an alternate indicator flash of acknowledgement.
>> The rear facing leds are mounted in the handlebar ends (2 flashing
>> each side), a mixture of 5 and 3 led rear lights (one incorporating a
>> full rear reflector on the back of the rack), and 4 flashing leds on
>> each arm and ankle band (2 rear and 32 side on each),
>> The head torch I generally keep on low, as it's handy to be able to
>> see my computer and is available to deal with any mechanicals where
>> the ability to use both hands is a benefit.
>>
>> I do have rear and pedal reflectors, and wheel reflectors on one
>> bike. There is reflective material on rack pack, bar bag, and
>> panniers, and on the rear mudguard.
>>
>> using rechargeable cells minimises the cost of all this - I use low
>> self discharge NiMH cells with 800mA/Hr for the AAAs and 2100mA/Hr
>> for the AAs.
>>
>> So my lights are not ridiculously bright, but at the rear, cover a
>> large area to give a good idea of the size of my bike with me on it.
>

> When the definition of a psycholist was written - the following was
> very much tongue in cheek:
>
> 7) BSO : a bicycle shaped object. If someone's bicycle is not
> top of the range, costing at least £500 with disc brakes, and at least
> 73 LEDs at the front and 67 when viewed from the rear, then it cannot
> be called a bicycle. Anything bought from Halfrauds (sic) must be a
> BSO.
>

> I rest my case.

Toys for schoolboys who never grew up.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

JMS
October 27th 10, 11:20 PM
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:21:52 +0100, Clive George
> wrote:

>On 27/10/2010 19:57, JMS wrote:
>
>> When the definition of a psycholist was written - the following was
>> very much tongue in cheek:
>>
>> 7) BSO : a bicycle shaped object. If someone's bicycle is not
>> top of the range, costing at least £500 with disc brakes, and at least
>> 73 LEDs at the front and 67 when viewed from the rear, then it cannot
>> be called a bicycle. Anything bought from Halfrauds (sic) must be a
>> BSO.
>
>So now you're complaining that people invest in lights? Would you rather
>they go around unlit?
>
>> I rest my case.
>
>I very much doubt it.

Spot on.

That's the first time I have *ever* agreed with anything that you have
said.

For the record - of course I do not object to cyclists being well-lit.
I think that Anchor Lee's configuration is probably a trial run for a
Blackpool Illuminations competition. Still - he has never been
bothered about appearing to be unbalanced.

(I see you upset the uk.legal people with your typical snotty
aggression. Well done)

--

Per billion passenger kilometres

Car KSI 18
Cycle KSI 541
Pedestrian 358

(KSI : Killed or Seriously Injured)
Dft 2008 FIgures

Who says cycling is safer than walking?

Iain[_2_]
October 28th 10, 12:12 AM
wrote:

<snip>

>I keep the headlight that doesn't have a nice sharp cutoff as main
>beam, and position it so that the button is right next to my thumb, so
>I can switch it off when it would dazzle oncoming road users, leaving
>only the dipped beam equivalent light and the 5 led flashing marker at
>the front.
>The conical beam light also has a flexible mounting so I can aim it
>low and flick it and thus convey to passing large vehicles by flashing
>it when they have cleared me and can safely move back in, for which I
>get an alternate indicator flash of acknowledgement.
>The rear facing leds are mounted in the handlebar ends (2 flashing
>each side), a mixture of 5 and 3 led rear lights (one incorporating a
>full rear reflector on the back of the rack), and 4 flashing leds on
>each arm and ankle band (2 rear and 32 side on each),
>The head torch I generally keep on low, as it's handy to be able to
>see my computer and is available to deal with any mechanicals where
>the ability to use both hands is a benefit.
>
>I do have rear and pedal reflectors, and wheel reflectors on one bike.
>There is reflective material on rack pack, bar bag, and panniers, and
>on the rear mudguard.
>
>using rechargeable cells minimises the cost of all this - I use low
>self discharge NiMH cells with 800mA/Hr for the AAAs and 2100mA/Hr for
>the AAs.
>
>So my lights are not ridiculously bright, but at the rear, cover a
>large area to give a good idea of the size of my bike with me on it.

I can only comment that the more visible you are especially at night-time,
almost certainly the safer you are for both yourself and other road users.
And it is even more applicable for rural areas.
--
Iain

Mr. Benn[_7_]
October 30th 10, 04:30 AM
"JMS" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:47:46 +0100, Phil W Lee >
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>>I keep the headlight that doesn't have a nice sharp cutoff as main
>>beam, and position it so that the button is right next to my thumb, so
>>I can switch it off when it would dazzle oncoming road users, leaving
>>only the dipped beam equivalent light and the 5 led flashing marker at
>>the front.
>>The conical beam light also has a flexible mounting so I can aim it
>>low and flick it and thus convey to passing large vehicles by flashing
>>it when they have cleared me and can safely move back in, for which I
>>get an alternate indicator flash of acknowledgement.
>>The rear facing leds are mounted in the handlebar ends (2 flashing
>>each side), a mixture of 5 and 3 led rear lights (one incorporating a
>>full rear reflector on the back of the rack), and 4 flashing leds on
>>each arm and ankle band (2 rear and 32 side on each),
>>The head torch I generally keep on low, as it's handy to be able to
>>see my computer and is available to deal with any mechanicals where
>>the ability to use both hands is a benefit.
>>
>>I do have rear and pedal reflectors, and wheel reflectors on one bike.
>>There is reflective material on rack pack, bar bag, and panniers, and
>>on the rear mudguard.
>>
>>using rechargeable cells minimises the cost of all this - I use low
>>self discharge NiMH cells with 800mA/Hr for the AAAs and 2100mA/Hr for
>>the AAs.
>>
>>So my lights are not ridiculously bright, but at the rear, cover a
>>large area to give a good idea of the size of my bike with me on it.
>

> When the definition of a psycholist was written - the following was
> very much tongue in cheek:
>
> 7) BSO : a bicycle shaped object. If someone's bicycle is not
> top of the range, costing at least £500 with disc brakes, and at least
> 73 LEDs at the front and 67 when viewed from the rear, then it cannot
> be called a bicycle. Anything bought from Halfrauds (sic) must be a
> BSO.
>

> I rest my case.

At least he's making an effort to be well-lit at night which is more that a
lot of cyclists do.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home