PDA

View Full Version : A million rides in London.

Simon Mason
November 2nd 10, 06:21 PM
Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_into_record_books/

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Tom Crispin[_4_]
November 2nd 10, 06:50 PM
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:21:03 -0000, "Simon Mason"
> wrote:

>Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>
>http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_into_record_books/

Wow! 100,000 extra(?) bicycle trips per week in Central London is an
outrageous success. And this in an area of just 2 miles radius.

I only question the extra trips as a few might replace trips by
private bicycle.

FrengaX
November 2nd 10, 07:45 PM
On Nov 2, 6:21*pm, "Simon Mason" > wrote:
> Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>
> http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_int...

And what are my chances of getting a bike tomorrow with the tube
strike on? May well be a 2 mile walk instead.

congokid
November 2nd 10, 09:12 PM
In article
>,
FrengaX > writes
>On Nov 2, 6:21*pm, "Simon Mason" > wrote:
>> Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>>
>> http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_int...
>
>And what are my chances of getting a bike tomorrow with the tube
>strike on? May well be a 2 mile walk instead.

Use your own bike?
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Mr Pounder
November 2nd 10, 09:22 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>
> http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_into_record_books/
>
> --
> Simon Mason
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Using a bike to get to work in the ****ing down rain, in the wonderful
capital of the wonderful land fit for heroes.
Just about says it all.

Mr Pounder

FrengaX
November 2nd 10, 09:50 PM
On Nov 2, 9:12*pm, congokid > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> FrengaX > writes
>
> >On Nov 2, 6:21 pm, "Simon Mason" > wrote:
> >> Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>
> >>http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_int....
>
> >And what are my chances of getting a bike tomorrow with the tube
> >strike on? May well be a 2 mile walk instead.
>
> Use your own bike?

If only. With the demise of the old slam-door trains and their
spacious guards vans also went the ability to carry your bike on the
train during the rush hour.

OG
November 2nd 10, 10:28 PM
"FrengaX" > wrote in message
> On Nov 2, 9:12 pm, congokid > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> FrengaX > writes

>> >And what are my chances of getting a bike tomorrow with the tube
>> >strike on? May well be a 2 mile walk instead.
>>
>> Use your own bike?
>
> If only. With the demise of the old slam-door trains and their
> spacious guards vans also went the ability to carry your bike on the
> train during the rush hour.

A nice Brompton fills that gap.

Peter Keller
November 2nd 10, 10:55 PM
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:21:03 +0000, Simon Mason wrote:

> Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>
> http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/
news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_into_record_books/

One million rides in 10 weeks equals 100 000 rides a week for London for
the scheme.
70 rides a day for Melbourne's scheme equals 490 rides a week, for a city
1/3 the size of London.
Corrected for population, it would appear that Melbourne's scheme is
1,47% the success of London's.

http://snipurl.com/1ej2iu

Peter

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 3rd 10, 12:40 AM
Peter Keller wrote:

> Corrected for population, it would appear that Melbourne's scheme is
> 1,47% the success of London's.
>
> http://snipurl.com/1ej2iu

That's widely put down to the mandatory helmet law in Melbourne.

Tony

FrengaX
November 3rd 10, 08:25 PM
On Nov 2, 10:28*pm, "OG" > wrote:
> "FrengaX" > wrote in message

> > On Nov 2, 9:12 pm, congokid > wrote:
> >> In article
> >> FrengaX > writes

> >> Use your own bike?
>
> > If only. With the demise of the old slam-door trains and their
> > spacious guards vans also went the ability to carry your bike on the
> > train during the rush hour.
>
> A nice Brompton fills that gap.

I already have 2 bikes in the garage. I don't really want to fork out
however-many hundred quid for a folding bike I may need only on those
few occasions I travel to London and can't use the public transport
there.

BTW, managed to get a bike both ways today. My biggest problem was
when I popped out at lunchtime to go to Picadilly Circus (by bike) and
all the cycle stands were full, so I couldn't re-dock my bike until
someone came along and took one.

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 3rd 10, 08:38 PM
FrengaX > wrote:

> BTW, managed to get a bike both ways today. My biggest problem was
> when I popped out at lunchtime to go to Picadilly Circus (by bike) and
> all the cycle stands were full, so I couldn't re-dock my bike until
> someone came along and took one.

There are good apps and websites which tell you live how many bikes and
spaces there are at each location. In addition if the stand is full it
will tell you where the nearest spaces are and extend your free period
to allow you to get there.

--
Tony

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 5th 10, 12:15 AM

Probaly. There are only so many ****ing idiots in London.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 5th 10, 12:18 AM
Tony Raven wrote:
> Peter Keller wrote:
>>
>> Corrected for population, it would appear that Melbourne's scheme is
>> 1,47% the success of London's.
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/1ej2iu
>>

> That's widely put down to the mandatory helmet law in Melbourne.

By whom?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 6th 10, 11:20 AM

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 6th 10, 11:22 AM

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 6th 10, 12:31 PM

Tom Crispin[_4_]
November 6th 10, 12:43 PM
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:20:22 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>On 02/11/2010 18:50, Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:21:03 -0000, "Simon Mason"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Landmark reached in just 10 weeks bodes well for the scheme.
>>>
>>> http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8487531.Balham_biker_goes_into_record_books/
>>
>> Wow! 100,000 extra(?) bicycle trips per week in Central London is an
>> outrageous success. And this in an area of just 2 miles radius.
>>
>> I only question the extra trips as a few might replace trips by
>> private bicycle.
>
>According to Darth Stuart, not. Bike sales are stable and maybe even
>increasing. Most of these journeys are additional bike journeys that
>would otherwise have been made by tube or bus, it seems.
>
>The scheme is markedly more highly used than Velib. Although half the
>bikes I saw in Paris last week were Velib bikes, the total numbers were
>very low compared with London at present. I think London has an
>environment particularly favourable to cycling. Compared with the four
>other cities I've visited in the last month or so (NY, Amsterdam,
>Frankfurt, Paris) it has slower motor traffic and a higher proportion of
>pedestrian and cyclist traffic than all but Amsterdam, and is the second
>easiest place after Amsterdam for a cyclist to take their place as part
>of the normal flow of traffic.

I love cycling in London. Though I had one horrible trip: from
Victoria to Lewisham on the Tandem. I cycled to Victoria without
mishap to pick up Clare, but she didn't appriciate my riding style on
the way home, commanding me to ride in the gutter and not to overtake
on the outside.

Ho hum... On balance it's a happier experience being second in command
than being a bachelor, but I think that the tandem terms need to be
changed from "Captain" and "Stoker" to "Helmsman" and "Commander".

congokid
November 6th 10, 01:38 PM
In article >, "Just zis Guy, you
know?" > writes
>On 02/11/2010 18:50, Tom Crispin wrote:

>> I only question the extra trips as a few might replace trips by
>> private bicycle.
>
>According to Darth Stuart, not. Bike sales are stable and maybe even
>increasing. Most of these journeys are additional bike journeys that
>would otherwise have been made by tube or bus, it seems.

From what I've read on one bike hire scheme forum, some users who
haven't cycled regularly before are considering getting their own bikes
- Bromptons have been mentioned.

>The scheme is markedly more highly used than Velib. Although half the
>bikes I saw in Paris last week were Velib bikes, the total numbers were
>very low compared with London at present. I think London has an
>environment particularly favourable to cycling. Compared with the four
>other cities I've visited in the last month or so (NY, Amsterdam,
>Frankfurt, Paris) it has slower motor traffic and a higher proportion of
>pedestrian and cyclist traffic than all but Amsterdam, and is the second
>easiest place after Amsterdam for a cyclist to take their place as part
>of the normal flow of traffic.

I sometimes have a look at the usage of some of the similar bike hire
schemes around the world.
http://oobrien.com/vis/bikes/

I'm amazed by the huge uptake in Barcelona, whose scheme is about the
same scale as London's:
http://oobrien.com/vis/bikes/?city=barcelona

Yesterday almost a third of the bikes were in use at one point.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
http://congokid.com

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 6th 10, 01:44 PM
On Nov 6, 1:38*pm, congokid > wrote:

> >According to Darth Stuart, not. Bike sales are stable and maybe even
> >increasing. Most of these journeys are additional bike journeys that
> >would otherwise have been made by tube or bus, it seems.
>
> *From what I've read on one bike hire scheme forum, some users who
> haven't cycled regularly before are considering getting their own bikes
> - Bromptons have been mentioned.

Bob Crow's hand in this has been noted.

http://road.cc/content/news/26862-online-bike-auction-site-thanks-bob-crow-cycling-boost

--
Simon Mason

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 6th 10, 02:13 PM

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 6th 10, 03:40 PM
congokid > wrote:

> I'm amazed by the huge uptake in Barcelona, whose scheme is about the
> same scale as London's:
> http://oobrien.com/vis/bikes/?city=barcelona
>
> Yesterday almost a third of the bikes were in use at one point.

Even more so as in Barcelona use is restricted to Barcelona residents
only.

--
Tony

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 7th 10, 12:30 AM

Or in your case Cwispin - ****** & inflateable.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 7th 10, 12:37 AM
Just zis ****, you know?? wrote:
> If only there were some way of reducing the impact of inclement
> weather

There is SFB's. Its called a car.

They have all sorts of neat features, like a roof, windows, demisters, air
con etc.

Thats why they are a viable form of transport, unlike the push bike.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 7th 10, 11:07 AM

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 7th 10, 11:26 AM
On Nov 7, 11:07*am, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

> Good luck with that, last time they tried a wholesale road widening
> scheme in London was in 1667 and they failed then despite the support of
> the King and the City corporations.

Roads in 1667?
Medway contends there *were* no roads before 1900 when cars came
along, as there was no "road tax" to pay for them.
Roads were designed for cars, don'tcha know.

--
Simon Mason

Peter Keller
November 9th 10, 07:38 AM
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 00:37:05 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Just zis ****, you know?? wrote:

<snip>

That I think is a great compliment, showing you have no answer to his
arguments. Not liking his argument is no reason for it to be false.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Peter Keller
November 10th 10, 07:06 AM
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 00:37:05 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

<snip>

> Thats why they are a viable form of transport, unlike the push bike.

My unviable form of transport zips me through rush hour traffic whoopie!
Oh the fresh air! Oh the joy of not being held up by viable forms of
transport!
Push push push

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.