PDA

View Full Version : Good news for central London.

Simon Mason
November 5th 10, 12:10 PM
A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.

http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Derek C
November 5th 10, 12:15 PM
On Nov 5, 12:10*pm, "Simon Mason" >
wrote:
> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>
> http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london
>
> --
> Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

So how will you get goods and services to central London shops and
businesses? Electric milk floats? Even if electric vehicles are
available, they will still need to be regularly charged up (causes air
pollution somewhere else) and goods will have to be transferred from
conventional lorries at great extra cost.

Derek C

JNugent[_7_]
November 5th 10, 12:34 PM
On 05/11/2010 12:10, Simon Mason wrote:

> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>
> http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london

QUOTE:
The Evening Standard reports that Boris Johnson told attendees at a People’s
Question Time session that his plan would see heavy vehicles leaving goods at
locations around the edges of central London before smaller, less polluting
vehicles transfer the goods to their final destination.
The mayor said that if implemented, his plan would male a “real difference.”
ENDQUOTE

The operative word certainly is "if".

Where are these places around the edges of Central London? Who would pay for
the scheme, including these C. London depots, marshalling, cargo-handling and
bulk-breaking? The cost would be astronomical.

And what of goods which cannot be transported by smaller vehicles?

Is this an end to building and maintenance in Central London and longer term,
an end to London as the pre-eminent city in the UK?

Simon Mason
November 5th 10, 12:54 PM
"JNugent" > wrote in message

> Is this an end to building and maintenance in Central London and longer
> term, an end to London as the pre-eminent city in the UK?

Or is it the start of a less polluted, more pleasant and safer capital city?

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

JNugent[_7_]
November 5th 10, 01:13 PM
On 05/11/2010 12:54, Simon Mason wrote:

> "JNugent" > wrote:

>> Is this an end to building and maintenance in Central London and longer
>> term, an end to London as the pre-eminent city in the UK?

> Or is it the start of a less polluted, more pleasant and safer capital city?

Don't get me wrong. It sounds great in some ways.

Just imagine all that work being transferred to the northern cities that
really need it. They should have done it fifty years ago.

But we both know it won't (because it can't) happen, don't we?

NM
November 5th 10, 05:23 PM
On Nov 5, 12:54*pm, "Simon Mason" >
wrote:
> "JNugent" > wrote in message

> > Is this an end to building and maintenance in Central London and longer
> > term, an end to London as the pre-eminent city in the UK?
>
> Or is it the start of a less polluted, more pleasant and safer capital city?
>
> --
> Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Probably yes but on a strictly temporary basis, long term it will
speed urban decay and the emigration of the population elsewhere.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 5th 10, 05:28 PM
Derek C wrote:
> On Nov 5, 12:10 pm, "Simon Mason" >
> wrote:
>> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>>
>> http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london
>>
>> --
>> Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
>
> So how will you get goods and services to central London shops and
> businesses? Electric milk floats? Even if electric vehicles are
> available, they will still need to be regularly charged up (causes air
> pollution somewhere else) and goods will have to be transferred from
> conventional lorries at great extra cost.

Derek. Simple Simon has thought this through and come up with the answer.

A 20' container lorry can carry 22,000 kg. A cyclist can carry say 20kg of
goods. All you need is 1,100 cyclists to replace each lorry.

Simples

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 5th 10, 05:30 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> "JNugent" > wrote in message
>>
>> Is this an end to building and maintenance in Central London and
>> longer term, an end to London as the pre-eminent city in the UK?
>
> Or is it the start of a less polluted, more pleasant and safer
> capital city?

Or 'dead' city as it would become idiot.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Simon Mason
November 5th 10, 06:18 PM
"The Medway Handyman" > wrote in message
news:79XAo.46755 Simple Simon has thought this through and come up with the
answer.

> A 20' container lorry can carry 22,000 kg. A cyclist can carry say 20kg
> of goods. All you need is 1,100 cyclists to replace each lorry.
>
> Simples

Anyone who think "simples" is still funny wants shooting.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Paul - xxx[_2_]
November 6th 10, 08:57 AM
Simon Mason wrote:

> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>
> http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london

It's interesting that the picture in the article shows a concrete mixer
.... I wonder what would happen to all the building sites in the centre
when (more likely if) this happens?

I wonder if anyone's done a check as to how many vehicles are carrying
goods that can actually be transported by smaller vehicles, or whether
there will be some classes, like concrete mixers, tipper trucks, bin
wagons, etc that would be exempt?

Not all lorries carry food and dink or small items!

--
Paul - xxx mobile ....

JMS
November 6th 10, 09:36 PM
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:10:06 -0000, "Simon Mason"
> wrote:

>A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>
>http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london

I see that parts of London are too hilly for the bike scheme:

At the Question Time meeting Boris Johnson was also challenged as to
why the Barclays cycle hire scheme has not been fully rolled out in
the borough of Camden. His reply has caused a degree of consternation
among residents as the Mayor effctively told them that the area is too
hilly.

"We are trying to do a deal with a bank so that we can go considerably
west. But parts of north London do get quite hilly. There are
practical problems that start to impose themselves. There are natural
limits to where we can go.
--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Adam Lea[_3_]
November 6th 10, 09:53 PM
On 05/11/10 18:18, Simon Mason wrote:

> "The Medway Handyman" > wrote in
> message news:79XAo.46755 Simple Simon has thought this through and come
> up with the answer.
>>
>> A 20' container lorry can carry 22,000 kg. A cyclist can carry say
>> 20kg of goods. All you need is 1,100 cyclists to replace each lorry.
>>
>> Simples
>>

> Anyone who think "simples" is still funny wants shooting.

Form an orderly queue behind the gunsight.

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 6th 10, 11:07 PM
JNugent > wrote:

> Don't get me wrong. It sounds great in some ways.
>
> Just imagine all that work being transferred to the northern cities
> that really need it. They should have done it fifty years ago.
>
> But we both know it won't (because it can't) happen, don't we?

It's already happened in Dublin with none of the dire consequences
predicted here. If you have a specific need in Dublin you can get a
special permit for access.

Boris' proposal goes further than I was lobbying for which was a
training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which
would allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good
ones to continue.

--
Tony

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 7th 10, 12:23 AM
Tony Raven wrote:
> JNugent > wrote:
>
>> Don't get me wrong. It sounds great in some ways.
>>
>> Just imagine all that work being transferred to the northern cities
>> that really need it. They should have done it fifty years ago.
>>
>> But we both know it won't (because it can't) happen, don't we?
>
> It's already happened in Dublin with none of the dire consequences
> predicted here. If you have a specific need in Dublin you can get a
> special permit for access.
>
> Boris' proposal goes further than I was lobbying for which was a
> training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which
> would allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good
> ones to continue.

Its probably escaped your limited intelligence & grasp of reality, but "
training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which would
allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good ones to
continue" already exists.

Its called "passing a driving test" and "endorsing the licence/banning of
law breakers".

Is your club in Pall Mall called the "thick as two short planks" club?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 7th 10, 12:25 AM
JMS wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:10:06 -0000, "Simon Mason"
> > wrote:
>
>> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>>
>> http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london
>

> I see that parts of London are too hilly for the bike scheme:

OMG! Shock horror!

Push bikes are crap at going up hills?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 7th 10, 12:37 AM
"The Medway Handyman" > wrote:

> Its probably escaped your limited intelligence & grasp of reality, but
> "
> training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which
> would
> allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good ones
> continue" already exists.
>
> Its called "passing a driving test" and "endorsing the licence/banning
> of
> law breakers".

Your "brain the size of a planet" has confused operators with drivers.

--
Tony

NM
November 7th 10, 07:45 AM
On Nov 5, 5:28*pm, "The Medway Handyman" <davidno-spam-
> wrote:
> Derek C wrote:
> > On Nov 5, 12:10 pm, "Simon Mason" >
> > wrote:
> >> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>
> >>http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london
>
> >> --
> >> Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
>
> > So how will you get goods and services to central London shops and
> > businesses? Electric milk floats? Even if electric vehicles are
> > available, they will still need to be regularly charged up (causes air
> > pollution somewhere else) and goods will have to be transferred from
> > conventional lorries at great extra cost.
>
> Derek. *Simple Simon has thought this through and come up with the answer.
>
> A 20' container lorry can carry 22,000 kg. *A cyclist can carry say 20kg of
> goods. *All you need is 1,100 cyclists to replace each lorry.
>
> Simples
>
> --
> Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
> a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

The lorry I drive occasionally contributes well over 200K per year to
the government, stop using lorries and the considerable shortfall in
taxation revenue is made up how? Taxing cycles maybe?

NM
November 7th 10, 07:48 AM
On Nov 7, 12:37*am, Tony Raven > wrote:
> "The Medway Handyman" > wrote:
>
> > Its probably escaped your limited intelligence & grasp of reality, but
> > "
> > training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which
> > would
> > allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good ones
> > continue" already exists.
>
> > Its called "passing a driving test" and "endorsing the licence/banning
> > of
> > law breakers".
>
> Your "brain the size of a planet" has confused operators with drivers.
>
> --
> Tony

This system was tried in Baghdad during Saadam's time. didn't work.
into the city by 0700 or go away and try again tomorrow.

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 7th 10, 08:37 AM
NM > wrote:

> This system was tried in Baghdad during Saadam's time. didn't work.
> into the city by 0700 or go away and try again tomorrow.

Seems to work in Dublin. 7 to 7 ban on HGVs in the city centre, permits
for loading and unloading are available but require the premises to be
registered with a plan to mitigate and reduce deliveries. They issue
about 200 permits a day.

--
Tony

Mrcheerful[_2_]
November 7th 10, 10:49 AM
NM wrote:
> On Nov 7, 12:37 am, Tony Raven > wrote:
>> "The Medway Handyman" > wrote:
>>
>>> Its probably escaped your limited intelligence & grasp of reality,
>>> but "
>>> training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which
>>> would
>>> allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good
>>> ones to
>>> continue" already exists.
>>
>>> Its called "passing a driving test" and "endorsing the
>>> licence/banning of
>>> law breakers".
>>
>> Your "brain the size of a planet" has confused operators with
>> drivers.
>>
>> --
>> Tony
>
> This system was tried in Baghdad during Saadam's time. didn't work.
> into the city by 0700 or go away and try again tomorrow.

there is already a restriction on lorries in london, It is called the
'London Lorry Ban' started in 1986, it actually prevents night time
deliveries, so it is quieter for residents.

The London Lorry Ban (LLB) was introduced in 1986 to reduce disturbance
caused to residents of the capital by HGVs at night or at weekends. Vehicles
over 18 tonnes GVW are prohibited from travelling along many routes through
Greater London at certain times unless the operator holds an exemption
permit.
London Councils (formerly the Association of London Government) maintains
the scheme and issues permits to operators with essential business in
London. If caught without a permit, drivers and hauliers face a Penalty
Charge Notice (PCN). The penalty is currently £550 for hauliers and £120 for
drivers. These charges are reduced by 50% if paid within 14 days. Websites
such as London Lorry Control encourage drivers and hauliers to plan their
routes before making a journey.
The FTA says the requirements of the ban are leading to long diversions for
HGV drivers which are resulting in a huge cost to the industry each year.
The trade association is therefore campaigning for a relaxation of the LLB
because night deliveries would alleviate congestion during the day and
technological advances have meant noise and emission levels from trucks have
been greatly reduced.

NM
November 7th 10, 11:21 AM
On Nov 7, 10:49*am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> NM wrote:

> >> Your "brain the size of a planet" has confused operators with
> >> drivers.
>
> >> --
> >> Tony
>
> > This system was tried in Baghdad during Saadam's time. didn't work.
> > into the city by 0700 or go away and try again tomorrow.
>
> there is already a restriction on lorries in london, It is called the
> 'London Lorry Ban' started in 1986, it actually prevents night time
> deliveries, so it is quieter for residents.
>
> The London Lorry Ban (LLB) was introduced in 1986 to reduce disturbance
> caused to residents of the capital by HGVs at night or at weekends. Vehicles
> over 18 tonnes GVW are prohibited from travelling along many routes through
> Greater London at certain times unless the operator holds an exemption
> permit.
> London Councils (formerly the Association of London Government) maintains
> the scheme and issues permits to operators with essential business in
> London. If caught without a permit, drivers and hauliers face a Penalty
> Charge Notice (PCN). The penalty is currently £550 for hauliers and £120 for
> drivers. These charges are reduced by 50% if paid within 14 days. Websites
> such as London Lorry Control encourage drivers and hauliers to plan their
> routes before making a journey.
> The FTA says the requirements of the ban are leading to long diversions for
> HGV drivers which are resulting in a huge cost to the industry each year.
> The trade association is therefore campaigning for a relaxation of the LLB
> because night deliveries would alleviate congestion during the day and
> technological advances have meant noise and emission levels from trucks have
> been greatly reduced.

Yeah but, You want a permit, just ask for it, sort of negates the ban,
looks good on paper though.

Mrcheerful[_2_]
November 7th 10, 11:48 AM
NM wrote:
> On Nov 7, 10:49 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>> NM wrote:

>>> This system was tried in Baghdad during Saadam's time. didn't work.
>>> into the city by 0700 or go away and try again tomorrow.
>>
>> there is already a restriction on lorries in london, It is called the
>> 'London Lorry Ban' started in 1986, it actually prevents night time
>> deliveries, so it is quieter for residents.
>>
>> The London Lorry Ban (LLB) was introduced in 1986 to reduce
>> disturbance caused to residents of the capital by HGVs at night or
>> at weekends. Vehicles over 18 tonnes GVW are prohibited from
>> travelling along many routes through Greater London at certain times
>> unless the operator holds an exemption permit.
>> London Councils (formerly the Association of London Government)
>> maintains the scheme and issues permits to operators with essential
>> business in London. If caught without a permit, drivers and hauliers
>> face a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). The penalty is currently £550
>> for hauliers and £120 for drivers. These charges are reduced by 50%
>> if paid within 14 days. Websites such as London Lorry Control
>> encourage drivers and hauliers to plan their routes before making a
>> journey.
>> The FTA says the requirements of the ban are leading to long
>> diversions for HGV drivers which are resulting in a huge cost to the
>> industry each year. The trade association is therefore campaigning
>> for a relaxation of the LLB because night deliveries would alleviate
>> congestion during the day and technological advances have meant
>> noise and emission levels from trucks have been greatly reduced.
>
> Yeah but, You want a permit, just ask for it, sort of negates the ban,
> looks good on paper though.

Havering council are just dropping out of the scheme, it will save them
15,000 pounds a year !!

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 7th 10, 11:53 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> "The Medway Handyman" > wrote:
>
>> Its probably escaped your limited intelligence & grasp of reality,
>> but "
>> training and permitting of operators to drive trucks in London which
>> would
>> allow you to remove the unsafe operators while allowing the good ones
>> continue" already exists.
>>
>> Its called "passing a driving test" and "endorsing the
>> licence/banning of
>> law breakers".
>>

> Your "brain the size of a planet" has confused operators with drivers.

Compared to you I do have the brain the size of a planet. Then again,
musn't boast. Compared to you a retarded gerbil looks bright.

There is a clue in your phrase "training and permitting of operators to
drive trucks". "To drive" is the relevant point. Got that? " To drive".

Lets look at the dictionary definition SFB's.
1.. One who operates a machine or device - like a truck.
2.. The owner or manager of a business or an industrial enterprise.
Now which one do you think is being referred to? The latter do not
necessarily operate or drive the trucks.

****ed up again haven't you?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Tony Dragon
November 8th 10, 06:50 AM
On 08/11/2010 03:03, Phil W Lee wrote:
> "Paul - > considered 6 Nov 2010
> 08:57:55 GMT the perfect time to write:
>
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>>> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>>>
>>> http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london
>>
>> It's interesting that the picture in the article shows a concrete mixer
>> ... I wonder what would happen to all the building sites in the centre
>> when (more likely if) this happens?
>>
>> I wonder if anyone's done a check as to how many vehicles are carrying
>> goods that can actually be transported by smaller vehicles, or whether
>> there will be some classes, like concrete mixers, tipper trucks, bin
>> wagons, etc that would be exempt?
>>
>> Not all lorries carry food and dink or small items!
>
> The concrete could be brought in as sand, gravel and cement and mixed
> on site.
> There is no need to bring the plant for mixing it in and out of town
> with every load - and even most of the weight of that load is water!

I wonder why the people who use that concrete have not thought of that.

--
Tony Dragon

NM
November 8th 10, 08:33 AM
On Nov 8, 3:03*am, Phil W Lee > wrote:
> "Paul - xxx" > considered 6 Nov 2010
> 08:57:55 GMT the perfect time to write:
>

> >Simon Mason wrote:
>
> >> A ban on HGVs is mooted which will save many lives.
>
> >>http://road.cc/content/news/26840-lorry-ban-horizon-central-london
>
> >It's interesting that the picture in the article shows a concrete mixer
> >... I wonder what would happen to all the building sites in the centre
> >when (more likely if) this happens?
>
> >I wonder if anyone's done a check as to how many vehicles are carrying
> >goods that can actually be transported by smaller vehicles, or whether
> >there will be some classes, like concrete mixers, tipper trucks, bin
> >wagons, etc that would be exempt?
>
> >Not all lorries carry food and dink or small items!
>
> The concrete could be brought in as sand, gravel and cement and mixed
> on site.
> There is no need to bring the plant for mixing it in and out of town
> with every load - and even most of the weight of that load is water!

Good job you are not a businessman.

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 8th 10, 12:24 PM
"The Medway Handyman" > wrote:

> Compared to you I do have the brain the size of a planet. Then again,
>
> musn't boast. Compared to you a retarded gerbil looks bright.

Sometimes Meds, you really crack me up & this is one of those times

--
Tony

Tom Crispin[_4_]
November 8th 10, 04:46 PM
On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:33:00 -0800 (PST), NM >
wrote:

>On Nov 8, 3:03*am, Phil W Lee > wrote:
>> "Paul - xxx" > considered 6 Nov 2010
>> 08:57:55 GMT the perfect time to write:

>> >It's interesting that the picture in the article shows a concrete mixer
>> >... I wonder what would happen to all the building sites in the centre
>> >when (more likely if) this happens?
>>
>> >I wonder if anyone's done a check as to how many vehicles are carrying
>> >goods that can actually be transported by smaller vehicles, or whether
>> >there will be some classes, like concrete mixers, tipper trucks, bin
>> >wagons, etc that would be exempt?
>>
>> >Not all lorries carry food and dink or small items!
>>
>> The concrete could be brought in as sand, gravel and cement and mixed
>> on site.
>> There is no need to bring the plant for mixing it in and out of town
>> with every load - and even most of the weight of that load is water!
>
>Good job you are not a businessman.

They built a temporary mixing plant at the Olympic Site - though I
think that they mix and sell concrete from there to supply the Shard.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 8th 10, 08:41 PM

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 9th 10, 12:52 AM
Just zis ****, you know? wrote:

> On 07/11/2010 23:53, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>> Compared to you I do have the brain the size of a planet. Then
>> again, musn't boast. Compared to you a retarded gerbil looks bright.
>
> Obviously your PhD is from a Russell group university, which one I
> wonder? - --

As you clearly demonstrate, a university education is no measure of
intelligence.

And what was your degree in? Being a pretentious ****?

Or being an immature schoolboy?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
November 9th 10, 10:36 PM

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 10th 10, 06:57 PM
Just zis ****, you know? wrote:

> On 09/11/2010 00:52, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>> Just zis ****, you know? wrote:

>>> Obviously your PhD is from a Russell group university, which one I
>>> wonder? - --
>
>> As you clearly demonstrate, a university education is no measure of
>> intelligence.
>
> Ah, from this we can infer that you have not yet graduated from
> kindergarten. Fair enough.

Oh very good. For an idiot.

One doesn't graduate from a kindergarden does one?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

NM
November 10th 10, 07:23 PM
On Nov 9, 10:39*pm, Phil W Lee > wrote:
> Tom Crispin > considered Mon, 08 Nov 2010
> 16:46:10 +0000 the perfect time to write:
>

> >On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:33:00 -0800 (PST), NM >
> >wrote:

> >>Good job you are not a businessman.
>
> >They built a temporary mixing plant at the Olympic Site - though I
> >think that they mix and sell concrete from there to supply the Shard.
>
> NM obviously thinks it is a good thing that business continues to put
> profit ahead of safety, if he thinks there is benefit in using a
> system that increases the weight and volume of heavy goods traffic
> just because it is less expensive.
> Of course, it would need to be regulated, a if any business is allowed
> to save money by taking risks, all others are forced to do so in order
> to avoid being undercut by those without a conscience.
>
> Just the same as drivers hours, MOT testing, weight limits, etc.

Don't have much of a grip business wise do you?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home