PDA

View Full Version : Presta valves coming out in their entirety: likely cause?

J-P Stacey
November 9th 10, 08:25 PM
About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims.
Although my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was
Presta, so I didn't think this was worth thinking about.

However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes
to the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if
it were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the
bike shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought
Schwalbe were generally OK.)

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can
think of:

1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle?
I thought Presta were rated to around twice that.

2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,
J-P

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 9th 10, 08:58 PM
On Nov 9, 8:25*pm, J-P Stacey > wrote:
> About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims.
> Although my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was
> Presta, so I didn't think this was worth thinking about.
>
> However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes
> to the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if
> it were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
> sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
> bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the
> bike shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought
> Schwalbe were generally OK.)
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can
> think of:
>
> *1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
> Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle?
> I thought Presta were rated to around twice that.
>
> *2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
> of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> J-P

I pulled one clean off the tube other night using a push on pump on my
spare inner tube at 11pm on my commute home.
I have since bought a pump with a flexible hose that means I don't
have to rive at the valve seat while pumping it up in a frenzy.

--
Simon Mason

Mrcheerful[_2_]
November 9th 10, 10:38 PM
J-P Stacey wrote:
> About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims.
> Although my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was
> Presta, so I didn't think this was worth thinking about.
>
> However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes
> to the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if
> it were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
> sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
> bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the
> bike shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought
> Schwalbe were generally OK.)
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can
> think of:
>
> 1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
> Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle?
> I thought Presta were rated to around twice that.
>
> 2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
> of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> J-P

a lot of people have had trouble with these, they used to be ok, but
something altered a while ago. The trick is either to drill out the rim and
use a normal schrader valve tube, or get a presta to schrader adapter to
blow them up.

Rob Morley
November 9th 10, 11:24 PM
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:25:44 -0800 (PST)
J-P Stacey > wrote:

> 2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
> of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?

I'm not a fan of pump heads that lock onto Presta valves, and I'm
particularly dubious of the Topeak Smarthead that supposedly copes with
both Presta and Schrader valves.

thirty-six
November 9th 10, 11:31 PM
On Nov 9, 8:25*pm, J-P Stacey > wrote:
> About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims.
> Although my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was
> Presta, so I didn't think this was worth thinking about.
>
> However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes
> to the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if
> it were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
> sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
> bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the
> bike shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought
> Schwalbe were generally OK.)
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can
> think of:
>
> *1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
> Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle?
> I thought Presta were rated to around twice that.
>
> *2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
> of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> J-P

I don't use schwalbe tubes, but I suspect they are not true presta
valves, and they have screw-in valve cores, They are presta-type
valves. Vittoria I believe were first with this. There will be two
flats on the threaded part for the cap so you can tighten them up
before using. They should not have been supplied loose. If you can
get hold of them, buy Vredestein tubes in the future, seamless, clean,
non-smelling, good wall thickness, takes patching well and a valve
that doesn't fail.

The Medway Handyman[_3_]
November 10th 10, 12:13 AM

Yes. Push bikes are for *******. Get yourself a car & grow up.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

thirty-six
November 10th 10, 12:42 AM
On Nov 9, 8:25*pm, J-P Stacey > wrote:
> About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims.
> Although my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was
> Presta, so I didn't think this was worth thinking about.
>
> However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes
> to the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if
> it were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
> sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
> bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the
> bike shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought
> Schwalbe were generally OK.)
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can
> think of:
>
> *1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
> Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle?
> I thought Presta were rated to around twice that.
>
> *2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
> of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> J-P

forgot to add in before, track racing tyres, of which the presta valve
was originally designed now are used at over 180psi in certain
circumstances. Presta valves are routinely used on the road at
between 70psi and 120psi.

Peter Keller
November 10th 10, 01:53 AM
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:13:07 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Yes. Push bikes are for *******. <snip>

Now there is another accolade. We are really going up in the world.
Let us work towards the next honour of incredibly dehydrated rock-hard
stupid!

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

chris French
November 10th 10, 02:01 AM
In message <20101109232421.6139e590@bluemoon>, Rob Morley
> writes
>On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:25:44 -0800 (PST)
>J-P Stacey > wrote:
>
>> 2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
>> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
>> of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
>> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
>> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>>
>> Anyone any thoughts?
>
>I'm not a fan of pump heads that lock onto Presta valves, and I'm
>particularly dubious of the Topeak Smarthead that supposedly copes with
>both Presta and Schrader valves.

I've had one that I fitted to my trackpump some years ago, it's always
worked faultlessly. I love it.
--
Chris French

J-P Stacey
November 10th 10, 03:42 PM
> a lot of people have had trouble with these, they used to be ok, but
> something altered a while ago. *

That might explain why the online world is divided into people who say
"hey, yeah, that keeps happening to me" and people who say "I've never
had a problem with them. Your wrist action is clearly all wrong."

I do have a Presta to Schrader adapter somewhere. It never occurred to
me to use it on a smart-head pump, partly because it doesn't actually
work with e.g. my cheap Halfords Schrader-only footpump, so I just
assumed etc. etc. but that's definitely an option for me. Cheers!

J-P

J-P Stacey
November 10th 10, 03:44 PM
> I don't use schwalbe tubes, but I suspect they are not true presta
> valves, and they have screw-in valve cores, They are presta-type
> valves. Vittoria I believe were first with this. *There will be two
> flats on the threaded part for the cap so you can tighten them up
> before using.

I'm pretty sure the threaded part for the cap remained in place - it
was all the gubbins inside it that came out, hence looking a bit like
a spark plug, and leaving behind a rather sad-looking, entirely
valveless threaded metal pipe.

But it never occurred to me that a non-Woods valve would come loose
"by design", so I'll check that out on all future tubes. Or buy
Vredelstein. Thanks muchly.

J-P

JMS
November 10th 10, 04:00 PM
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:58:22 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
> wrote:

<snip>

>I pulled one clean off the tube other night using a push on pump on my
>spare inner tube at 11pm on my commute home.
>I have since bought a pump with a flexible hose that means I don't
>have to rive at the valve seat while pumping it up in a frenzy.

And now you realise why most cyclists do not actually want to depend
on the cycle as a means of transport.

--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Doug[_11_]
November 11th 10, 02:49 PM
While freewheeling on Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:25:44 -0800, J-P Stacey wrote :

> About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims. Although
> my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was Presta, so I
> didn't think this was worth thinking about.
>
> However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes to
> the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if it
> were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
> sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
> bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the bike
> shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought Schwalbe
> were generally OK.)
>
> Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can think
> of:
>
> 1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
> Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle? I
> thought Presta were rated to around twice that.
>
> 2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
> suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions of
> people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
> causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
> but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.
>
> Anyone any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> J-P

Solid rubber tyres are the way to go.