PDA

View Full Version : Situation normal.

Simon Mason
November 12th 10, 10:51 AM
Last night I cycled home at 2230 into a 50mph headwind. Again, I used an off
road parallel cycle track which I am getting quite fond of now as I don't
have to keep checking behind me. I managed to ride at 10-12mph and my GPS
said that my ETA would be 2311. Totally unrealistic at these speeds I
thought. The only dodgy bit was going past some tower blocks which created
nasty vortices.

There was very little traffic on the roads, no doubt as car drivers had been
warned to keep indoors as it was not safe to drive to "difficult driving
conditions". Sadly, a woman was killed in the storms last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-11741085

I arrived home safely at 2321 and I did not wear a helmet, but a beanie. Not
for the warmth but to keep my earpieces from being blown out.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

bod
November 12th 10, 12:27 PM
On 12/11/2010 10:51, Simon Mason wrote:
> Last night I cycled home at 2230 into a 50mph headwind. Again, I used an
> off road parallel cycle track which I am getting quite fond of now as I
> don't have to keep checking behind me. I managed to ride at 10-12mph and
> my GPS said that my ETA would be 2311. Totally unrealistic at these
> speeds I thought. The only dodgy bit was going past some tower blocks
> which created nasty vortices.
>
> There was very little traffic on the roads, no doubt as car drivers had
> been warned to keep indoors as it was not safe to drive to "difficult
> driving conditions". Sadly, a woman was killed in the storms last night.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-11741085
>
> I arrived home safely at 2321 and I did not wear a helmet, but a beanie.
> Not for the warmth but to keep my earpieces from being blown out.

Bit dangerous! You can't hear any traffic behind you?

Bod

Simon Mason
November 12th 10, 12:29 PM
"bod" > wrote in message

>> I arrived home safely at 2321 and I did not wear a helmet, but a beanie.
>> Not for the warmth but to keep my earpieces from being blown out.
>>

> Bit dangerous! You can't hear any traffic behind you?
>
> Bod

Not with a 50 mph headwind, no!
It does tend to drown everything out.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

ian
November 12th 10, 01:34 PM
"bod" > wrote in message
> On 12/11/2010 10:51, Simon Mason wrote:
>> Last night I cycled home at 2230 into a 50mph headwind. Again, I
>> used an
>> off road parallel cycle track which I am getting quite fond of now
>> as I
>> don't have to keep checking behind me. I managed to ride at
>> 10-12mph and
>> my GPS said that my ETA would be 2311. Totally unrealistic at these
>> speeds I thought. The only dodgy bit was going past some tower
>> blocks
>> which created nasty vortices.
>>
>> There was very little traffic on the roads, no doubt as car drivers
>> had
>> been warned to keep indoors as it was not safe to drive to
>> "difficult
>> driving conditions". Sadly, a woman was killed in the storms last
>> night.
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-11741085
>>
>> I arrived home safely at 2321 and I did not wear a helmet, but a
>> beanie.
>> Not for the warmth but to keep my earpieces from being blown out.
>>

> Bit dangerous! You can't hear any traffic behind you?

It's the whistling sound of a defunct fridge being dropped from an
upper-storey flat's balcony that he really needs to keep an ear open
for....

NM
November 12th 10, 01:54 PM
On Nov 12, 10:51*am, "Simon Mason" >
wrote:
> Last night I cycled home at 2230 into a 50mph headwind. Again, I used an off
> road parallel cycle track which I am getting quite fond of now as I don't
> have to keep checking behind me. I managed to ride at 10-12mph and my GPS
> said that my ETA would be 2311. Totally unrealistic at these speeds I
> thought. The only dodgy bit was going past some tower blocks which created
> nasty vortices.
>
> There was very little traffic on the roads, no doubt as car drivers had been
> warned to keep indoors as it was not safe to drive to "difficult driving
> conditions". Sadly, a woman was killed in the storms last night.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-11741085
>
> I arrived home safely at 2321 and I did not wear a helmet, but a beanie. Not
> for the warmth but to keep my earpieces from being blown out.

Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.

Simon Mason
November 12th 10, 01:58 PM
"NM" > wrote in message news:a2e09a31-8acf-47c5-8bd2-

>Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
>comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
>thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.

Mrs M was going to ring me at work to see if I wanted a lift, but knew I
would laugh at the idea.
The steak and beer in my sauna does not taste as good after a boring drive
home, but is wonderful after a cold windy struggle.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

SW[_3_]
November 12th 10, 02:41 PM
On 12/11/2010 13:54, NM wrote:

> Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
> comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
> thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.

What a boring way to travel. No wonder so many drivers fall asleep at
the wheel.

SW

Simon Mason
November 12th 10, 05:45 PM
"SW" > wrote in message
> On 12/11/2010 13:54, NM wrote:
>>
>> Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
>> comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
>> thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.
>>

> What a boring way to travel. No wonder so many drivers fall asleep at the
> wheel.

Today I was not at work so I went to the supermarket in the car, taking some
glass bottles to recycle. At the recycling centre I slightly banged my head
on a skip. I was not wearing a helmet and it hurt for a while.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

NM
November 12th 10, 06:39 PM
On Nov 12, 5:45*pm, "Simon Mason" >
wrote:
> "SW" > wrote in message

> > On 12/11/2010 13:54, NM wrote:
>
> >> Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
> >> comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
> >> thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.
>
> > What a boring way to travel. *No wonder so many drivers fall asleep at the
> > wheel.
>
> Today I was not at work so I went to the supermarket in the car, taking some
> glass bottles to recycle. At the recycling centre I slightly banged my head
> on a skip. I was not wearing a helmet and it hurt for a while.
>
> --
> Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Then thats your fault for failing to follow 'elf 'n safetea advice.

Mr Pounder
November 12th 10, 06:42 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "bod" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I arrived home safely at 2321 and I did not wear a helmet, but a beanie.
>>> Not for the warmth but to keep my earpieces from being blown out.
>>>

>> Bit dangerous! You can't hear any traffic behind you?
>>
>> Bod
>
> Not with a 50 mph headwind, no!
> It does tend to drown everything out.
>
> --
> Simon Mason
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Car horns, sirens from emergency vehicle, people shouting "Watch out"!
Woops Mr Mason, foot in mouth yet again.

Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder
November 12th 10, 06:48 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message

> "NM" > wrote in message news:a2e09a31-8acf-47c5-8bd2-
>
>>Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
>>comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
>>thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.
>
> Mrs M was going to ring me at work to see if I wanted a lift, but knew I
> would laugh at the idea.
> The steak and beer in my sauna does not taste as good after a boring drive
> home, but is wonderful after a cold windy struggle.
>
> --
> Simon Mason
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Ha! The sauna has yet to be introduced to Hull.
As for steak - fish steak?
Hey!
No trap-do you know Steph Woods, aka Sexybitch?
She lives in Hull.

Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder
November 12th 10, 06:49 PM
"SW" > wrote in message
> On 12/11/2010 13:54, NM wrote:
>>
>> Whereas I got into my car, put the heater on and drove home in total
>> comfort, didn't get wet or need to change my clothing when I got in, a
>> thoroughly relaxing drive and no nasty vortices experienced.
>>

> What a boring way to travel. No wonder so many drivers fall asleep at the
> wheel.
>
> SW

How many drivers do fall asleep at the wheel?
I've done it.

Mr Pounder

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 12th 10, 06:53 PM
On Nov 12, 6:42*pm, "Mr Pounder" >
wrote:
> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
>
> . uk...

> >> Bit dangerous! *You can't hear any traffic behind you?
>
> >> Bod
>
> > Not with a 50 mph headwind, no!
> > It does tend to drown everything out.
>

> Car horns, sirens from emergency vehicle, people shouting "Watch out"!
> Woops Mr Mason, foot in mouth yet again.

All of which I can hear perfectly well, as I can in the car with my
radio on.
Although I did get caught out last winter when at 5am I was coming
down a flyover at 30 mph and heard bird song.
I thought that it was a bit early for the dawn chorus, but it turned
out to be part of the end of song called ironically "Winter Song".

--
Simon Mason

Mrcheerful[_2_]
November 12th 10, 07:03 PM
Mr Pounder wrote:
> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> . uk...

>>> Bit dangerous! You can't hear any traffic behind you?
>>>
>>> Bod
>>
>> Not with a 50 mph headwind, no!
>> It does tend to drown everything out.
>>
>> --
>> Simon Mason
>> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
>
> Car horns, sirens from emergency vehicle, people shouting "Watch out"!
> Woops Mr Mason, foot in mouth yet again.
>
> Mr Pounder

the term is 'ipod zombie', just like that girl that rode into the side of a
truck a while ago.

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 12th 10, 07:11 PM
On Nov 12, 7:03*pm, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> Mr Pounder wrote:
> > "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> . uk...

> >> Not with a 50 mph headwind, no!
> >> It does tend to drown everything out.
>
> >> --
> >> Simon Mason
> >>http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
>
> > Car horns, sirens from emergency vehicle, people shouting "Watch out"!
> > Woops Mr Mason, foot in mouth yet again.
>
> > Mr Pounder
>
> the term is 'ipod zombie', just like that girl that rode into the side of a
> truck a while ago.- Hide quoted text -

That why have never bought an i-pod.
They seem to have "killed" far too many people, so they must be unsafe
(and they don't have DAB radios in them).
Mind you, most people die in bed, so that must be the most dangerous
place of all.

--
Simon Mason

Mrcheerful[_2_]
November 12th 10, 07:17 PM
Simon Mason wrote:
> On Nov 12, 7:03 pm, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>> Mr Pounder wrote:
>>> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
>>> . uk...

>>> Car horns, sirens from emergency vehicle, people shouting "Watch
>>> out"! Woops Mr Mason, foot in mouth yet again.
>>
>>> Mr Pounder
>>
>> the term is 'ipod zombie', just like that girl that rode into the
>> side of a truck a while ago.- Hide quoted text -

> That why have never bought an i-pod.
> They seem to have "killed" far too many people, so they must be unsafe
> (and they don't have DAB radios in them).
> Mind you, most people die in bed, so that must be the most dangerous
> place of all.

so what are the earpieces for?

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 12th 10, 07:31 PM
On Nov 12, 7:17*pm, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:

> >> the term is 'ipod zombie', just like that girl that rode into the
> >> side of a truck a while ago.- Hide quoted text -

> > That why have never bought an i-pod.
> > They seem to have "killed" far too many people, so they must be unsafe
> > (and they don't have DAB radios in them).
> > Mind you, most people die in bed, so that must be the most dangerous
> > place of all.
>
> so what are the earpieces for?

This.

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/iriver-b30-pmp-with-t-dmb.jpg

Never heard of it killing anyone.

>Ha! The sauna has yet to be introduced to Hull.

There's even a cycle mag there to show it's mine.
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/bench.jpg

>As for steak - fish steak?

Fillet actually.
I don't cook fish on the hot stones, too smelly

>No trap-do you know Steph Woods, aka Sexybitch?
>She lives in Hull.

She may hang around those tower blocks I ride past, they are in the
red light district.
I don't though - I keep pedalling.
--
Simon Mason

Mrcheerful[_2_]
November 12th 10, 08:40 PM
Simon Mason wrote:

>>> That why have never bought an i-pod.
>>> They seem to have "killed" far too many people, so they must be
>>> unsafe (and they don't have DAB radios in them).
>>> Mind you, most people die in bed, so that must be the most dangerous
>>> place of all.
>>
>> so what are the earpieces for?
>
> This.
>
> http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/iriver-b30-pmp-with-t-dmb.jpg
>
> Never heard of it killing anyone.
>
>> Ha! The sauna has yet to be introduced to Hull.
>
> There's even a cycle mag there to show it's mine.
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/bench.jpg
>
>> As for steak - fish steak?
>
> Fillet actually.
> I don't cook fish on the hot stones, too smelly
>
>> No trap-do you know Steph Woods, aka Sexybitch?
>> She lives in Hull.
>
> She may hang around those tower blocks I ride past, they are in the
> red light district.
> I don't though - I keep pedalling.

so 'ipod zombie' then, the actual make doesn't matter

Simon Mason[_4_]
November 13th 10, 09:36 AM
On Nov 12, 8:40*pm, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:

> so 'ipod zombie' then, the actual make doesn't matter- Hide quoted text -

No offence being commited then.
As usual.
--
Simon Mason

Mr Pounder
November 15th 10, 06:44 PM

> >> the term is 'ipod zombie', just like that girl that rode into the
> >> side of a truck a while ago.- Hide quoted text -

> > That why have never bought an i-pod.
> > They seem to have "killed" far too many people, so they must be unsafe
> > (and they don't have DAB radios in them).
> > Mind you, most people die in bed, so that must be the most dangerous
> > place of all.
>
> so what are the earpieces for?

This.

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/iriver-b30-pmp-with-t-dmb.jpg

Never heard of it killing anyone.

>Ha! The sauna has yet to be introduced to Hull.

There's even a cycle mag there to show it's mine.
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/bench.jpg

>As for steak - fish steak?

Fillet actually.
I don't cook fish on the hot stones, too smelly

>No trap-do you know Steph Woods, aka Sexybitch?
>She lives in Hull.

She may hang around those tower blocks I ride past, they are in the
red light district.
I don't though - I keep pedalling.
--
Simon Mason

Just thought I'd ask.
She uses the same ISP as you, has to though.

Mr Pounder

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home