PDA

View Full Version : A long shot - opening up a Smart Polaris light?

Tom Anderson
November 14th 10, 12:08 PM
Hi all,

I have an aged Smart Polaris 5-LED headlamp:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/ii-5-led-32399

The switch is broken; the light is currently off, and i can't switch it
on. The switch has been getting gammy for a few months, having trouble
changing mode when i pressed it, but at least when it was stuck in the on
position, i could switch the thing off and on by removing and replacing
the batteries, so it was still useful. Not so much now.

I've already ordered a replacement, but i'd love to have a go at fixing
this one, or at least seeing if i can see what the problem is. However, i
can't figure out how to get the thing open to get at the worky bits. I can
screw the lamp unit off the battery case (that's how you change the
batteries, after all), but i can't see how to get the lamp open. Has
anyone ever done this? Or does anyone have any bright ideas of what i
should try?

My best best to far is to jam a screwdriver in one of the cracks between
different mouldings and lever away. I might break it, but given that it's
already broken ...

tom

--
Ten years on, and there is still nothing like this bizarre tale of
biomechanical space madness.

Rob Morley
November 14th 10, 03:06 PM
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:08:47 +0000
Tom Anderson > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an aged Smart Polaris 5-LED headlamp:
>
> http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/ii-5-led-32399
>
> The switch is broken; the light is currently off, and i can't switch
> it on. The switch has been getting gammy for a few months, having
> trouble changing mode when i pressed it, but at least when it was
> stuck in the on position, i could switch the thing off and on by
> removing and replacing the batteries, so it was still useful. Not so
> much now.

It might be worth trying to remove the rubber switch cover before you
have ago at cracking the case, which is quite likely to be very
thoroughly glued. If you can get the rubber off easily then just
exercising the switch, maybe flushing it with switch cleaner, lighter
fluid or similar, could be enough to restore it.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home