PDA

View Full Version : Why, cyclist, why?

Mrcheerful[_2_]
December 2nd 10, 08:59 AM
Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE WRONG
SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive / ride as
sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front of me , luckily
enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could avoid him, many drivers
would not have been able. Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.

Doug[_3_]
December 2nd 10, 09:04 AM
On Dec 2, 8:59*am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE WRONG
> SIDE of the road. *In these conditions everyone should drive / ride as
> sensibly as they possibly can. *This occurred just in front of me , luckily
> enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could avoid him, many drivers
> would not have been able.

Tell me about it!

>*Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.

Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Mrcheerful[_2_]
December 2nd 10, 09:58 AM
Doug wrote:
> On Dec 2, 8:59 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE
>> WRONG SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive /
>> ride as sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front
>> of me , luckily enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could
>> avoid him, many drivers would not have been able.
>>
> Tell me about it!
>>
>> Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
>> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.
>>
> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?

He came around a blind left hander that I was about to turn into, he was on
my side of the road.
I had no difficulty in avoiding him, but I know that many drivers would have
panicked and got him.

Tony Raven[_3_]
December 2nd 10, 10:13 AM
Mrcheerful wrote:
> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE WRONG
> SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive / ride as
> sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front of me , luckily
> enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could avoid him, many drivers
> would not have been able. Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.

If I went to uk.rec.driving and posted every bit of stupid driving I saw
in the snow, the group would be swamped. Like the Royal Mail truck that
passed everyone late last night at 70mph in a the outside lane of the
M27 which was 2" deep in snow at the time. Everyone else was doing
about 40mph on the thin strips of black left on the inside lane. The
difference is the truck could have wiped out several people by his
actions while your cyclist at worst would have hurt himself.

But as we've all been told here, the truck driver was a highly trained
and competent person sat in a nice warm cab so what was his excuse?

Tony

Squashme
December 2nd 10, 10:15 AM
On Dec 2, 9:58*am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 8:59 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> >> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE
> >> WRONG SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive /
> >> ride as sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front
> >> of me , luckily enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could
> >> avoid him, many drivers would not have been able.
>
> > Tell me about it!
>
> >> Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
> >> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.
>
> > Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
> > not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
> > distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>
> He came around a blind left hander that I was about to turn into, he was on
> my side of the road.
> I had no difficulty in avoiding him, but I know that many drivers would have
> panicked and got him.

May I just say Rule 6?

Tony Raven[_3_]
December 2nd 10, 10:21 AM
Mrcheerful wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>> On Dec 2, 8:59 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>>> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE
>>> WRONG SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive /
>>> ride as sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front
>>> of me , luckily enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could
>>> avoid him, many drivers would not have been able.
>>>
>> Tell me about it!
>>> Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
>>> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.
>>>
>> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
>> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
>> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>
> He came around a blind left hander that I was about to turn into, he was on
> my side of the road.
> I had no difficulty in avoiding him, but I know that many drivers would have
> panicked and got him.

So you are saying that if he had been a pedestrian* following the
Highway Code Rule 2 for pedestrians walking on the road he would have
been hit by many drivers? Do you not find that worrying?

Tony

* In a number of countries it is common practice for cyclists to ride on
the opposite side of the road as if they were a pedestrian.

Squashme
December 2nd 10, 10:28 AM
On Dec 2, 10:21*am, Tony Raven > wrote:
> Mrcheerful wrote:
> > Doug wrote:
>
> >> Tell me about it!
>
> >> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
> >> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
> >> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>
> > He came around a blind left hander that I was about to turn into, he was on
> > my side of the road.
> > I had no difficulty in avoiding him, but I know that many drivers would have
> > panicked and got him.
>
> So you are saying that if he had been a pedestrian* following the
> Highway Code Rule 2 for pedestrians walking on the road he would have
> been hit by many drivers? *Do you not find that worrying?
>
> Tony
>
> * In a number of countries it is common practice for cyclists to ride on
> the opposite side of the road as if they were a pedestrian.

Industrial estate. Cheap migrant labour?

Tony Dragon
December 2nd 10, 11:27 AM
On 02/12/2010 09:04, Doug wrote:
> On Dec 2, 8:59 am, > wrote:
>> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE WRONG
>> SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive / ride as
>> sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front of me , luckily
>> enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could avoid him, many drivers
>> would not have been able.
>>
> Tell me about it!
>>
>> Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
>> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.
>>
> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>
> -- .
> UK Radical Campaigns.
> http://www.zing.icom43.net
> A driving licence is a licence to kill.

He avoided him, that means he was driving in a correct manner, unlike
the cyclist.

--
Tony Dragon

Tony Dragon
December 2nd 10, 11:28 AM

He was a certified ****?

--
Tony Dragon

JNugent[_7_]
December 2nd 10, 11:47 AM
On 02/12/2010 10:13, Tony Raven wrote:
> Mrcheerful wrote:
>> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE WRONG
>> SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive / ride as
>> sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front of me , luckily
>> enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could avoid him, many
>> drivers would not have been able. Just what is going on in these cyclists
>> heads, he had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.
>>

> If I went to uk.rec.driving and posted every bit of stupid driving I saw in
> the snow, the group would be swamped. Like the Royal Mail truck that passed
> everyone late last night at 70mph in a the outside lane of the M27 which was
> 2" deep in snow at the time. Everyone else was doing about 40mph on the thin
> strips of black left on the inside lane. The difference is the truck could
> have wiped out several people by his actions while your cyclist at worst
> would have hurt himself.
>
> But as we've all been told here, the truck driver was a highly trained and
> competent person sat in a nice warm cab so what was his excuse?

Did you see the M27 crash?

Or just wish for it?

JNugent[_7_]
December 2nd 10, 11:49 AM
On 02/12/2010 10:21, Tony Raven wrote:

> * In a number of countries it is common practice for cyclists to ride on the
> opposite side of the road as if they were a pedestrian.

Is the United Kingdom one of them?

If not, of what value or relevance is your observation?

JMS
December 2nd 10, 04:45 PM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:13:57 +0000, Tony Raven >
wrote:

>If I went to uk.rec.driving and posted every bit of stupid driving I saw
>in the snow, the group would be swamped. Like the Royal Mail truck that
>passed everyone late last night at 70mph in a the outside lane of the
>M27 which was 2" deep in snow at the time. Everyone else was doing
>about 40mph on the thin strips of black left on the inside lane. The
>difference is the truck could have wiped out several people by his
>actions while your cyclist at worst would have hurt himself.
>
>But as we've all been told here, the truck driver was a highly trained
>and competent person sat in a nice warm cab so what was his excuse?

Why not post your comment in uk.rec.driving - it would at least be
relevant.

It does of course - like many of your posts - have no relevance here
whatsoever.

--

Pyscholist Rule Number 6a

If people are continually getting the better of you in arguments - fall back on the "But what about motorists, they are much worse ....".
Respond to a post - or start a new thread with some irrelevant item.
It does no good to the actual argument - but it shows you up as a real prat - and hence you are living up to the psycholist creed.

Mr. Benn[_8_]
December 2nd 10, 04:55 PM
"JMS" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:13:57 +0000, Tony Raven >
> wrote:
>

>>If I went to uk.rec.driving and posted every bit of stupid driving I saw
>>in the snow, the group would be swamped. Like the Royal Mail truck that
>>passed everyone late last night at 70mph in a the outside lane of the
>>M27 which was 2" deep in snow at the time. Everyone else was doing
>>about 40mph on the thin strips of black left on the inside lane. The
>>difference is the truck could have wiped out several people by his
>>actions while your cyclist at worst would have hurt himself.
>>
>>But as we've all been told here, the truck driver was a highly trained
>>and competent person sat in a nice warm cab so what was his excuse?

> Why not post your comment in uk.rec.driving - it would at least be
> relevant.
>
> It does of course - like many of your posts - have no relevance here
> whatsoever.

That's a good idea Tony, bring up the matter in uk.rec.driving. This is a
newsgroup about cycling.

Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]
December 2nd 10, 11:43 PM

PhilO
December 3rd 10, 12:57 AM
On Dec 2, 4:45*pm, JMS > wrote:
* * *

> Pyscholist

Judith, is that a real word or did you make it up?

>Rule Number 6a

There are no such rules, are there. You made them up, didn't you?

JMS Rule 6
Make something up, repeat it. Hey - it's a rule!

JMS
December 4th 10, 02:05 PM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:43:45 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>To wind you up. You, specifically. All cyclists know your name, your
>face, your car, we all pick on you, specifically and deliberately. We
>share information on a super secret locked-down Twitter feed. We'll be
>riding up and down the pavement outside your house from next week. You
>brought it on yourself, you can't complain.

I saw your comment in URCM regarding someone who had come off their
bike:

"I hope she takes less time to recover emotionally than I
seem to be taking."

Are you still not recovered emotionally?

Was it the bang to the head?

I think from your posts that you may not be yet fully recovered - if
at all.

--

"I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. I would challenge judith
to find the place where I said I encourage my children to wear helmets." Guy Chapman

Doug[_11_]
December 5th 10, 09:47 PM
While freewheeling on Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:58:52 +0000, Mrcheerful wrote :

> Doug wrote:
>> On Dec 2, 8:59 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>>> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE
>>> WRONG SIDE of the road. In these conditions everyone should drive /
>>> ride as sensibly as they possibly can. This occurred just in front of
>>> me , luckily enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could
>>> avoid him, many drivers would not have been able.
>>>
>> Tell me about it!
>>>
>>> Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he had a woolly hat on,
>>> so did not have brain freeze.
>>>
>> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
>> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough distance
>> under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>
> He came around a blind left hander that I was about to turn into, he was
> on my side of the road.
> I had no difficulty in avoiding him, but I know that many drivers would
> have panicked and got him.

Typical driver claptrap, you will have been driving recklessly and not
concentrating. It was your fault.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zoing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

--
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
One man's democracy is another man's oligarchy,
where rights are replaced by concessions.

Mrcheerful[_2_]
December 6th 10, 06:01 AM
Doug wrote:
> While freewheeling on Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:58:52 +0000, Mrcheerful
> wrote :
>
>> Doug wrote:
>>>>
>>> Tell me about it!

>>> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
>>> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
>>> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>>
>> He came around a blind left hander that I was about to turn into, he
>> was on my side of the road.
>> I had no difficulty in avoiding him, but I know that many drivers
>> would have panicked and got him.
>
> Typical driver claptrap, you will have been driving recklessly and not
> concentrating. It was your fault.
>

> -- .
> UK Radical Campaigns.
> http://www.zoing.icom43.net
> A driving licence is a licence to kill.

it was anecdotal.

Doug[_3_]
December 6th 10, 06:47 AM
On Dec 2, 11:27*am, Tony Dragon > wrote:
> On 02/12/2010 09:04, Doug wrote:
>

> > On Dec 2, 8:59 am, > *wrote:
> >> Did you ride out of an industrial estate from a blind corner ON THE WRONG
> >> SIDE of the road. *In these conditions everyone should drive / ride as
> >> sensibly as they possibly can. *This occurred just in front of me , luckily
> >> enough I was travelling sensibly enough that I could avoid him, many drivers
> >> would not have been able.
>
> > Tell me about it!
>
> >> * Just what is going on in these cyclists heads, he
> >> had a woolly hat on, so did not have brain freeze.
>
> > Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
> > not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
> > distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
> >
> He avoided him, that means he was driving in a correct manner, unlike
> the cyclist.

No it doesn't. All it means is that he fortuitously missed him,
possibly by swerving erratically instead of being able to stop in
time.

> > -- .
> > UK Radical Campaigns.
> > http://www.zing.icom43.net
> > A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Mrcheerful[_2_]
December 6th 10, 07:09 AM
Doug wrote:
> On Dec 2, 11:27 am, Tony Dragon > wrote:

>>> Tell me about it!

>>> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
>>> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
>>> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>>>
>> He avoided him, that means he was driving in a correct manner, unlike
>> the cyclist.
>>
> No it doesn't. All it means is that he fortuitously missed him,
> possibly by swerving erratically instead of being able to stop in
> time.

My driver training, inspection and licencing worked. Pity the cyclist had
none, if he had, then the situation would not have arisen.

Tony Raven[_3_]
December 6th 10, 08:17 AM
Mrcheerful wrote:

> My driver training, inspection and licencing worked. Pity the cyclist had
> none, if he had, then the situation would not have arisen.

How did you know he didn't hold a driving license? Remarkable powers of
perception you have there.

Tony

Tony Dragon
December 6th 10, 08:19 AM
On 06/12/2010 06:47, Doug wrote:
> On Dec 2, 11:27 am, Tony > wrote:

>>> Tell me about it!

>>> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
>>> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
>>> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>>>
>> He avoided him, that means he was driving in a correct manner, unlike
>> the cyclist.
>>
> No it doesn't. All it means is that he fortuitously missed him,
> possibly by swerving erratically instead of being able to stop in
> time.
>
>>> -- .
>>> UK Radical Campaigns.
>>> http://www.zing.icom43.net
>>> A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Is stopping the only way to avoid an accident?
He did not hit the cyclist, nowhere is it posted that he did not stop,
the post just says he avoided him.

I note that you did not comment about the cyclists riding, did you
forget to do that, or was it yet another example of your black & white
thinking?

--
Tony Dragon

Mrcheerful[_2_]
December 6th 10, 08:25 AM
Doug wrote:
> On Dec 2, 11:27 am, Tony Dragon > wrote:

>>> Tell me about it!

>>> Were you not paying proper attention to what was in front of you and
>>> not driving slowly enough to be able to stop in a short enough
>>> distance under the circumstances? What did you do instead, swerve?
>>>
>> He avoided him, that means he was driving in a correct manner, unlike
>> the cyclist.
>>
> No it doesn't. All it means is that he fortuitously missed him,
> possibly by swerving erratically instead of being able to stop in
> time.

I used the IPSGA method, and therefore did not need to brake hard nor swerve
erratically. If the cyclist used the same method, then he would not have
been there.

Peter Keller
December 9th 10, 09:19 AM
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 14:05:53 +0000, JMS wrote:

> I saw your comment in URCM regarding someone who had come off their
> bike:
>
> "I hope she takes less time to recover emotionally than I seem to be
> taking."
>
> Are you still not recovered emotionally?
>
> Was it the bang to the head?
>
> I think from your posts that you may not be yet fully recovered - if at
> all.

I should clarify for the sake of journalistic honesty that the matte
white bits surrounding the black slimy bit are actually the gloves of a
researcher, and only the black slimy bit is actually the hagfish. If you
would like to know what a whole hagfish looks like, mentally picture an
earthworm that has slime-secretion glands running along the length of its
body, magnify it by like twenty, and put on the creepy head evidenced in
the above images. Yum, hagfish. Actually there are some decidedly awesome
Fun Facts about hagfish, such as: they get their own slime up their
noses, and then they sneeze it out. No joke.

> --

<snip>

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Doug[_3_]
December 9th 10, 09:26 AM
On Dec 6, 7:09*am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> Doug wrote:

> >> He avoided him, that means he was driving in a correct manner, unlike
> >> the cyclist.
>
> > No it doesn't. All it means is that he fortuitously missed him,
> > possibly by swerving erratically instead of being able to stop in
> > time.
>
> My driver training, inspection and licencing worked. *Pity the cyclist had
> none, if he had, then the situation would not have arisen.

All of your alleged training doesn't alter the fact that you are in
charge of a lethal machine in a public place, where human error or
mechanical failure can happen. All the training can do is reduce the
probability that you would kill or injure the cyclist. Naturally it is
impossible for the cyclist to kill or injure you in your car.

So please! No more vulnerable victim blaming.

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Tony Dragon
December 9th 10, 01:56 PM
On 09/12/2010 09:26, Doug wrote:
> On Dec 6, 7:09 am, > wrote:
>> Doug wrote:

>>> No it doesn't. All it means is that he fortuitously missed him,
>>> possibly by swerving erratically instead of being able to stop in
>>> time.
>>
>> My driver training, inspection and licencing worked. Pity the cyclist had
>> none, if he had, then the situation would not have arisen.
>>
> All of your alleged training doesn't alter the fact that you are in
> charge of a lethal machine in a public place, where human error or
> mechanical failure can happen. All the training can do is reduce the
> probability that you would kill or injure the cyclist. Naturally it is
> impossible for the cyclist to kill or injure you in your car.
>
> So please! No more vulnerable victim blaming.
>
> -- .
> UK Radical Campaigns.
> http://www.zing.icom43.net
> A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Well you are right, he was in charge of a possibly lethal machine.
Was he in a public place? It would seem so.
Could human error happen? It could, but it didn't (not on his part).
Could mechanical failure happen? It could but it didn't.
Did his training reduce the possibility of killing or injuring the
cyclist? Well yes it would seem that it did.
Could the cyclist kill or injure him? Depending on the outcome of the
incident, well yes it could.
Did the cyclist put himself at risk by his actions? Yes he did.
Did the cyclist act in a stupid manner? Yes he did.
Did the cyclist act in an illegal manner? Yes he did.
If the cyclist had been hurt, would he have been the victim? Yes, but
maybe not the only one.
Would the cyclist have been to blame? Yes, his own actions caused the
accident.
Did the cyclist thank the motorist for saving him injury? What do you think?

--
Tony Dragon

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home