PDA

View Full Version : Lance free weekend starts at 12:01 GMT and ends 48 hours later

Anton Berlin
January 28th 11, 02:15 PM
Go here if you're confused

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
responded to and flamed as

"King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.

Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
Lance free.

ilan[_2_]
January 28th 11, 03:04 PM
On Jan 28, 3:15*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> Go here if you're confused
>
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> responded to and flamed as
>
> "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> Lance free.

In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.

-ilan

Beloved Fred No. 1
January 28th 11, 03:09 PM
ilan wrote:
> In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.

Pedant.

Choppy Warburton
January 28th 11, 04:24 PM
On Jan 28, 9:04*am, ilan > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 3:15*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > Go here if you're confused
>
> >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > responded to and flamed as
>
> > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > Lance free.
>
> In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> -ilan

King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards there is no
such thing as 12:00 AM or PM. That's why he used 12:01

Phil H
January 28th 11, 05:00 PM
On Jan 28, 8:04*am, ilan > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 3:15*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > Go here if you're confused
>
> >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > responded to and flamed as
>
> > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > Lance free.
>
> In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> -ilan

I'm sure you understand that it's the time interval capturing most of
your local Saturday and Sunday. I hope this isn't going to lead into a
discussion on Poincare's clocks :)
Phil H

ilan[_2_]
January 28th 11, 06:36 PM
On Jan 28, 5:24*pm, Choppy Warburton >
wrote:
> On Jan 28, 9:04*am, ilan > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 28, 3:15*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > > Go here if you're confused
>
> > >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> > > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > > responded to and flamed as
>
> > > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> > > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > > Lance free.
>
> > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> > -ilan
>
> King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards there is no
> such thing as 12:00 AM or PM. *That's why he used 12:01

I'm going to report you to an admin for this promiscuous usage of
profanity. Oh wait, this forum is unmoderated, also explaining why I
haven't been banned from it. Never mind.

-ilan

Fredmaster of Brainerd
January 28th 11, 08:27 PM
On Jan 28, 8:04*am, ilan > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 3:15*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > Go here if you're confused
>
> >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > responded to and flamed as
>
> > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > Lance free.
>
> In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> -ilan

Dumbass,

You are incorrect. This is not a mathematical
question. It is a measurement standards question.
The standard is defined such that a day begins
at 00:00:00.

For example,

"UTC was officially initiated at the start of 1961 (but
the name Coordinated Universal Time was not adopted
by the International Astronomical Union until 1967).[16][17]
The TAI instant 1 January 1961 00:00:01.422818 exactly
was identified as UTC instant 1 January 1961 00:00:00.000000
exactly ... [there follows a discussion of leap second issues]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
in the "History" section. (TAI = atomic clock time,
UTC = time standard which corrects for variations in
the rotation of the Earth.)

It's Hammer time,
Fredmaster Ben

BLafferty[_3_]
January 28th 11, 08:39 PM
On 1/28/2011 9:15 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
> Go here if you're confused
>
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> responded to and flamed as
>
> "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> Lance free.

The only exception to this will be a perp walk or word of an indictment.
Agreed?

Fred Flintstein
January 28th 11, 08:53 PM
On 1/28/2011 2:39 PM, BLafferty wrote:
> On 1/28/2011 9:15 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
>> Go here if you're confused
>>
>> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>>
>> Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
>> responded to and flamed as
>>
>> "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
>> equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>>
>> Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
>> Lance free.
>
> The only exception to this will be a perp walk or word of an indictment.
> Agreed?

Jesus ****ing Christ since when is Tuesday on a weekend?

Fred Flintstein

Jimmy July[_2_]
January 28th 11, 08:58 PM
On 01/28/2011 12:39 PM, BLafferty wrote:
> On 1/28/2011 9:15 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
>> Go here if you're confused
>>
>> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>>
>> Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
>> responded to and flamed as
>>
>> "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
>> equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>>
>> Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
>> Lance free.
>
> The only exception to this will be a perp walk or word of an indictment.
> Agreed?

Or if it's revealed or speculated that Lance is an alien.

dave a
January 28th 11, 09:04 PM
On 1/28/2011 12:39 PM, BLafferty wrote:
> On 1/28/2011 9:15 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
>> Go here if you're confused
>>
>> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>>
>> Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
>> responded to and flamed as
>>
>> "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
>> equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>>
>> Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
>> Lance free.
>
> The only exception to this will be a perp walk or word of an indictment.
> Agreed?

only if you are the perp

Frederick the Great
January 28th 11, 10:34 PM
In article
Anton Berlin > wrote:

> Go here if you're confused
>
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

GMT is a purely local usage.
It has been replaced for international use by UTC.
Please try to keep up.

--
Old Fritz

Frederick the Great
January 28th 11, 10:48 PM
In article
Choppy Warburton > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 9:04Â*am, ilan > wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 3:15Â*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> >
> > > Go here if you're confused
> >
> > >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
> >
> > > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > > responded to and flamed as
> >
> > > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
> >
> > > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > > Lance free.
> >
> > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
> >
> > -ilan
>
> King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards there is no
> such thing as 12:00 AM or PM. That's why he used 12:01

So, genus, what are the proper designations?
11:59 am is followed one minute later by 12:00 __
11:59 pm is followed one minute later by 12:00 __

His problem is your problem. Neither of you
know how to designate those hours, so you
cover up with rbr's go-to defense mechanism: bluster.

LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
[...]

January 28th 11, 10:49 PM
On Jan 28, 4:34*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > Go here if you're confused
>
> >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> GMT is a purely local usage.
> It has been replaced for international use by UTC.
> Please try to keep up.
>
> --
> Old ****zz (aka the postman at Cheers) - please post the most accurate link you can find that converts GMT to UTC as we would hate to make an error and use the wrong one.

Clearly no woman finds you tolerable with this kind of insipid
banter.

Frederick the Great
January 28th 11, 10:51 PM
In article
ilan > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 5:24Â*pm, Choppy Warburton >
> wrote:

> > > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> > > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
> >
> > > -ilan
> >
> > King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards there is no
> > such thing as 12:00 AM or PM. Â*That's why he used 12:01
>
> I'm going to report you to an admin for this promiscuous usage of
> profanity. Oh wait, this forum is unmoderated, also explaining why I
> haven't been banned from it. Never mind.

Good to hear from you.
Which moderator do I thank?

--
Old Fritz

Michael Press
January 28th 11, 10:57 PM
In article
Phil H > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 8:04Â*am, ilan > wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 3:15Â*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> >
> > > Go here if you're confused
> >
> > >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
> >
> > > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > > responded to and flamed as
> >
> > > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
> >
> > > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > > Lance free.
> >
> > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> I'm sure you understand that it's the time interval capturing most of
> your local Saturday and Sunday. I hope this isn't going to lead into a
> discussion on Poincare's clocks :)

Are you confusing Poincaré maps and Einstein clocks?

--
Michael Press

Michael Press
January 28th 11, 11:02 PM
In article
Anton Berlin > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 4:34Â*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > Â*Anton Berlin > wrote:
> >
> > > Go here if you're confused
> >
> > >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
> >
> > GMT is a purely local usage.
> > It has been replaced for international use by UTC.
> > Please try to keep up.
> >
> > --
> > Old ****zz (aka the postman at Cheers) - please post the most accurate link you can find that converts GMT to UTC as we would hate to make an error and use the wrong one.
>
> Clearly no woman finds you tolerable with this kind of insipid
> banter.

I rely upon you for the gay banter around here.

--
Michael Press

Fred Fredburger[_12_]
January 28th 11, 11:32 PM
On 1/28/2011 6:15 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
> Go here if you're confused
>
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> responded to and flamed as
>
> "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> Lance free.

If I refer to "He Who Must Not Be Named", you'll all know who I'm
talking about, right?

RicodJour
January 28th 11, 11:37 PM
On Jan 28, 6:32*pm, Fred Fredburger
> wrote:
>
> If I refer to "He Who Must Not Be Named", you'll all know who I'm
> talking about, right?

SWMBO's husband?

Solicitor & Powdered Wig Purveyor, Old Bailey

Anton Berlin
January 28th 11, 11:54 PM
On Jan 28, 4:48*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Choppy Warburton > wrote:

> > > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention..
> > > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> > > -ilan
>
> > King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards there is no
> > such thing as 12:00 AM or PM. *That's why he used 12:01
>
> So, genus, what are the proper designations?
> 11:59 am is followed one minute later by 12:00 __
> 11:59 pm is followed one minute later by 12:00 __
>
> His problem is your problem. Neither of you
> know how to designate those hours, so you
> cover up with rbr's go-to defense mechanism: bluster.
>
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
>
> --
> Old Fritz

Dumbass - after 11:59 AM comes noon and after 11:59 PM comes
midnight.

Anton Berlin
January 28th 11, 11:57 PM
On Jan 28, 2:39*pm, BLafferty > wrote:
> On 1/28/2011 9:15 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > Go here if you're confused
>
> >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
>
> > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > responded to and flamed as
>
> > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
>
> > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > Lance free.
>
> The only exception to this will be a perp walk or word of an indictment.
> Agreed?

I think not - even then you have to wait until Sunday evening. If you
waited ten years you can surely wait a few hours more.

We must have a civilized society here. Otherwise RBR will turn into
unmoderated anarchy ! And whose know what some filthy **** might
write in here?

Phil H
January 29th 11, 05:42 AM
On Jan 28, 3:57*pm, Michael Press > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Phil H > wrote:

> > > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention..
> > > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> > I'm sure you understand that it's the time interval capturing most of
> > your local Saturday and Sunday. I hope this isn't going to lead into a
> > discussion on Poincare's clocks :)
>
> Are you confusing Poincaré maps and Einstein clocks?
>
> --
> Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

Good catch. If you read the book, Poincare was interested in relative
time at different locations to avoid train accidents. I thought that
was a more appropriate reference, besides ilan and his French
connection.
Phil H

Michael Press
January 29th 11, 06:08 AM
In article
Phil H > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 3:57Â*pm, Michael Press > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > Â*Phil H > wrote:

> > > I'm sure you understand that it's the time interval capturing most of
> > > your local Saturday and Sunday. I hope this isn't going to lead into a
> > > discussion on Poincare's clocks :)
> >
> > Are you confusing Poincaré maps and Einstein clocks?

> Good catch. If you read the book, Poincare was interested in relative
> time at different locations to avoid train accidents.

I do not know about that. To me a Poincaré map is the
mapping of a manifold transverse to a flow generated
by a non-linear vector field.

Tell me about the trains.

--
Michael Press

Frederick the Great
January 29th 11, 06:14 AM
In article
Anton Berlin > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 4:48Â*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > Â*Choppy Warburton > wrote:

> > > King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards there is no
> > > such thing as 12:00 AM or PM. Â*That's why he used 12:01
> >
> > So, genus, what are the proper designations?
> > 11:59 am is followed one minute later by 12:00 __
> > 11:59 pm is followed one minute later by 12:00 __
> >
> > His problem is your problem. Neither of you
> > know how to designate those hours, so you
> > cover up with rbr's go-to defense mechanism: bluster.
> >
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
> > LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE LANCE
>
> Dumbass - after 11:59 AM comes noon and after 11:59 PM comes
> midnight.

That is not it. There are designations that go with am and pm.

--
Old Fritz

Anton Berlin
January 29th 11, 06:20 AM
> That is not it. There are designations that go with am and pm.
>
> --
> Old Fritz

oh do tell us more mr science... we're all mesmerized

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Clavin

Frederick the Great
January 29th 11, 06:21 AM
In article
Fredmaster of Brainerd > wrote:

> On Jan 28, 8:04Â*am, ilan > wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 3:15Â*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> >
> > > Go here if you're confused
> >
> > >http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
> >
> > > Anyone that includes a Lance post or reference should only be
> > > responded to and flamed as
> >
> > > "King of the mother****ing **** face dick wit ****tards" or something
> > > equally accurate but nothing as lofty and admirable as dumbass.
> >
> > > Please bump this friendly reminder to keep the Lance free weekend
> > > Lance free.
> >
> > In fact, it is not clear whether a day begins at 00:00. In other
> > words, 00:00 could belong to one of two days, depending on convention.
> > On the other hand, any value greater than 00:00 belongs to the
> > following day, so days do not being at the :01 minute as you imply.
>
> Dumbass,
>
> You are incorrect. This is not a mathematical
> question. It is a measurement standards question.
> The standard is defined such that a day begins
> at 00:00:00.
>
> For example,
>
> "UTC was officially initiated at the start of 1961 (but
> the name Coordinated Universal Time was not adopted
> by the International Astronomical Union until 1967).[16][17]
> The TAI instant 1 January 1961 00:00:01.422818 exactly
> was identified as UTC instant 1 January 1961 00:00:00.000000
> exactly ... [there follows a discussion of leap second issues]"
>
> from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
> in the "History" section. (TAI = atomic clock time,
> UTC = time standard which corrects for variations in
> the rotation of the Earth.)

We're supposed to trust a lot of gobbledygook (spell checker
passed on that one) from a rogue band of "scientists"
who redefined the day to start at noon so they can
sleep off the excesses of the night before? You guys
make LiveDrunk look like choir boys.

--
Old Fritz

Simply Fred
January 29th 11, 09:33 AM
Frederick the Great wrote:
> Which moderator do I thank?

The fat one.

Simply Fred
January 29th 11, 09:36 AM
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Using wikipeadia for a reference ? Chung is going to make red herring
stew out of you.

Frederick the Great
January 29th 11, 08:34 PM
In article
Anton Berlin > wrote:

> > That is not it. There are designations that go with am and pm.
>
> oh do tell us more mr science... we're all mesmerized

It's for you to find out. I already told you something
you did not know before; and it does no please you, so ...
my work here is done.

--
Old Fritz

Phil H
January 29th 11, 09:22 PM
On Jan 28, 11:08*pm, Michael Press > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Phil H > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 28, 3:57*pm, Michael Press > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Are you confusing Poincaré maps and Einstein clocks?
>
> > Good catch. If you read the book, Poincare was interested in relative
> > time at different locations to avoid train accidents.
>
> I do not know about that. To me a Poincaré map is the
> mapping of a manifold transverse to a flow generated
> by a non-linear vector field.
>
> Tell me about the trains.
>
> > I thought that
> > was a more appropriate reference, besides ilan and his French
> > connection.
>
> --
> Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

Well that kind of map had nothing to do with lines of longitude,
something that Henri was responsible for. I take it you haven't read
the book. Besides defining lines of longitude and time zones, he was
also working on safety aspects in developing train timetables. With
time being a somewhat local concept, a few nasty train accidents due
to trains not being in the right place at the right time led to his
work on sharing common times and from that, being the mathematician he
was, further led to his work on relativity being beaten to the punch
by Albert. I think he had come to the same conclusions about
relativity but Albert got published first.
Phil H

Anton Berlin
January 29th 11, 09:30 PM
On Jan 29, 2:34*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > > That is not it. There are designations that go with am and pm.
>
> > oh do tell us more mr science... we're all mesmerized
>
> It's for you to find out. I already told you something
> you did not know before; and it does no please you, so ...
> my work here is done.
>
> --
> Old Fritz

Dumbass - there is a huge difference between something someone knows
and something someone cares to know.

(this is also a clue to the reason why people walk away from you while
you're in mid sentence )

Michael Press
February 1st 11, 10:33 PM
In article
Phil H > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 11:08Â*pm, Michael Press > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> Â*Phil H > wrote:

[...]

>>> Good catch. If you read the book, Poincare was interested in relative
>>> time at different locations to avoid train accidents.
>>
>> I do not know about that. To me a Poincaré map is the
>> mapping of a manifold transverse to a flow generated
>> by a non-linear vector field.
>>
>> Tell me about the trains.
>>
>>> I thought that
>>> was a more appropriate reference, besides ilan and his French
>>> connection.
>
> Well that kind of map had nothing to do with lines of longitude,
> something that Henri was responsible for. I take it you haven't read
> the book. Besides defining lines of longitude and time zones, he was
> also working on safety aspects in developing train timetables. With
> time being a somewhat local concept, a few nasty train accidents due
> to trains not being in the right place at the right time led to his
> work on sharing common times and from that, being the mathematician he
> was, further led to his work on relativity being beaten to the punch
> by Albert. I think he had come to the same conclusions about
> relativity but Albert got published first.

I am reading the book now. The Poincaré maps in the title
are what I described. Page 70, figure 2.3, and accompanying text.

Unless you already know about homoclinic orbits,
figure 2.4 and the accompanying text is well worth study.

While I'm at it, the book _Splitting_the_Second_ by Tony Jones
is excellent---short, dense, clear, informative, good
humoured. The book is a history of time keeping in the
twentieth century. The flow chart for how time is officially
kept is a boon. UTC UT, UT1 UT0, UT2, TAI, EAL, ET; what does
it all mean? I want to quote the section 'The strange fate of
GMT' but it would not be fair to the author or to prospective
readers.

--Hey, Yogi, what time is it?
--You mean now?

-----

Fascinating that Louis Essen, inventor of the cæsium
frequency standard, was critical of Einstein's theories, and
doubted that relativistic time dilation was a good idea, and
denies the twin clock paradox. It might even qualify as irony.
I absolutely cannot resist quoting the concluding sentence in
one of his articles. "One important conclusion he [R. L.
Vallee] reaches is that space contains an unlimited amount of
high frequency energy which could possibly be extracted and
used with safety and efficiency."

<http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/8/24/2063601/physics/WW1978-Oct-p44-45.pdf>

--
Michael Press