PDA

View Full Version : where did all these SEROTTAS come from???

H. Guy
July 10th 04, 09:04 PM
over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
there are treks!

have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
production, or is this just a case of washington politico
monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
on a serotta?

Dave Thompson
July 10th 04, 09:12 PM
"H. Guy" > wrote in message
> over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
> serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
> seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
> there are treks!
>
> have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
> production, or is this just a case of washington politico
> monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
> on a serotta?

Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of Serottas
out there. Their forum is very active: http://www.serotta.com/forum/

Dave Thompson
July 10th 04, 09:12 PM
"H. Guy" > wrote in message
> over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
> serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
> seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
> there are treks!
>
> have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
> production, or is this just a case of washington politico
> monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
> on a serotta?

Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of Serottas
out there. Their forum is very active: http://www.serotta.com/forum/

Kovie
July 11th 04, 06:14 AM
If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas for
some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given where
he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush ride
(when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior Republicans
are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul Begala
and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak
down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight to
see.)

--
Kovie

"Dave Thompson" > wrote in message

> "H. Guy" > wrote in message
> > over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> > virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> > serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
> > serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
> > seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
> > there are treks!
> >
> > have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
> > production, or is this just a case of washington politico
> > monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
> > on a serotta?
>
> Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
> their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
> started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of
Serottas
> out there. Their forum is very active: http://www.serotta.com/forum/

Kovie
July 11th 04, 06:14 AM
If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas for
some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given where
he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush ride
(when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior Republicans
are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul Begala
and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak
down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight to
see.)

--
Kovie

"Dave Thompson" > wrote in message

> "H. Guy" > wrote in message
> > over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> > virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> > serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
> > serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
> > seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
> > there are treks!
> >
> > have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
> > production, or is this just a case of washington politico
> > monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
> > on a serotta?
>
> Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
> their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
> started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of
Serottas
> out there. Their forum is very active: http://www.serotta.com/forum/

Dave Thompson
July 11th 04, 06:22 AM
"Kovie" > wrote in message
> If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas
for
> some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given where
> he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
> mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush ride
> (when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior
Republicans
> are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul Begala
> and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak
> down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight to
> see.)
>
> --
> Kovie

I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
bike.

Dave Thompson
July 11th 04, 06:22 AM
"Kovie" > wrote in message
> If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas
for
> some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given where
> he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
> mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush ride
> (when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior
Republicans
> are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul Begala
> and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob Novak
> down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight to
> see.)
>
> --
> Kovie

I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
bike.

Ryan Cousineau
July 11th 04, 07:00 AM
In article >,
"Dave Thompson" > wrote:

> I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
> brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
> increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
> has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
> Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
> bike.

Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!

Ducks, runs,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Ryan Cousineau
July 11th 04, 07:00 AM
In article >,
"Dave Thompson" > wrote:

> I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
> brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
> increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
> has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
> Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
> bike.

Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!

Ducks, runs,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Mark Hickey
July 11th 04, 04:10 PM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Dave Thompson" > wrote:
>
>> I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
>> brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
>> increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
>> has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
>> Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
>> bike.
>
>Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
>indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
>their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
>the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!
>
>Ducks, runs,

Heh.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey
July 11th 04, 04:10 PM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Dave Thompson" > wrote:
>
>> I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
>> brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
>> increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
>> has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
>> Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
>> bike.
>
>Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
>indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
>their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
>the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!
>
>Ducks, runs,

Heh.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Ryan Cousineau
July 11th 04, 05:58 PM
In article >,
Mark Hickey > wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Dave Thompson" > wrote:
> >
> >> I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
> >> brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
> >> increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
> >> has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
> >> Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
> >> bike.
> >
> >Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
> >indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
> >their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
> >the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!
> >
> >Ducks, runs,
>
> Heh.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

Oh right! Sorry I forgot, Mark:

Habaneros are also an acceptable budget alternative to Serottas.

--

Mark Hickey > wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Dave Thompson" > wrote:
> >
> >> I seriously doubt Kerry's rides on his Serotta has spurred sales of the
> >> brand. Serotta builds about 3000 frames a year, so there's been no huge
> >> increase in the Serotta population of late. In the last several years there
> >> has been much more awareness of the brand as a premium maker, and the
> >> Serotta forum is widely read as a source of good information about things
> >> bike.
> >
> >Serottas are a premium luxury product. The increased number on the road
> >indicate that a lot of cyclists have recently been able to upgrade to
> >their dream bike. I blame the Bush tax cut. Get those cyclists back on
> >the Jamises and Fujis they deserve!
> >
> >Ducks, runs,
>
> Heh.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

Oh right! Sorry I forgot, Mark:

Habaneros are also an acceptable budget alternative to Serottas.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

H. Guy
July 11th 04, 11:28 PM
In article >,
"Dave Thompson" > wrote:

> > over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> > virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> > serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
>
> Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
> their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
> started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of Serottas

possible, but i've always been aware of serottas, and that huge
pointy "S" on the head tube is one of the easier logos to spot.
this might be similar to the phenomenon where you buy a cadillac
sedan de ville (is there still such a thing?) and suddenly you're
spotting sedan de villes all over the place, but i've always been
a badge watcher and they *seem* to be more numerous. on weekends
at partlows general store/deli/hangout joint there seems to be a
serotta CONVENTION going on sometimes.

H. Guy
July 11th 04, 11:28 PM
In article >,
"Dave Thompson" > wrote:

> > over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> > virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> > serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
>
> Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life, and
> their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on one, you
> started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of Serottas

possible, but i've always been aware of serottas, and that huge
pointy "S" on the head tube is one of the easier logos to spot.
this might be similar to the phenomenon where you buy a cadillac
sedan de ville (is there still such a thing?) and suddenly you're
spotting sedan de villes all over the place, but i've always been
a badge watcher and they *seem* to be more numerous. on weekends
at partlows general store/deli/hangout joint there seems to be a
serotta CONVENTION going on sometimes.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 12th 04, 02:02 PM
Ryan-<< Habaneros are also an acceptable budget alternative to Serottas.
>><BR><BR>

But delete 'budget'. From my dealings with Ben and Serotta, Serotta would be a
distant choice for me, both as a ride and as a company I would want to do biz
with.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 12th 04, 02:02 PM
Ryan-<< Habaneros are also an acceptable budget alternative to Serottas.
>><BR><BR>

But delete 'budget'. From my dealings with Ben and Serotta, Serotta would be a
distant choice for me, both as a ride and as a company I would want to do biz
with.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Dave Stallard
July 12th 04, 04:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> From my dealings with Ben and Serotta, Serotta would be a
> distant choice for me, both as a ride and as a company I would want to do biz
> with.

Specifics?

Dave

Dave Stallard
July 12th 04, 04:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> From my dealings with Ben and Serotta, Serotta would be a
> distant choice for me, both as a ride and as a company I would want to do biz
> with.

Specifics?

Dave

homeyTclown
July 12th 04, 10:22 PM
Last year i took the plunge and INVESTED in a serotta legend ti to replace
my marin. even as a 'premium luxury product' i have never once regretted
the decision from any perspective, financial, quality, ride, support - you
name it.

yes it was more expensive than my very old fuji or my marin vicenza, but,
hell, riding is supposed to be something you enjoy - right??? I have to
assume that everyone here feels the same way and would rather save up for a
great bike than a john deere lawn tractor!

don't bunch all serotta owners as stuck up posers, i would say that 95% of
the owners i have met decided that that they wanted to ride something that
they would love for a long time - and, like me, i still haven't met one
that didn't love the ride!

btw - kerry obviously had nothing to do my decision - i was far more
influenced by the usps master's team!

chrism

[...]

July 13th 04, 10:11 PM
"Budget" is a relative term here. I built up a mostly Centaur-equipped
Habbie (Ultegra brakes & DA pedals) recently for around $2k. For most folks
that's a lot of money for a bike, but I guess that when compared to Serottas
& Merlins it's "budget". What do Serottas go for? I recently came across a
$7500 Merlin (which to me is insane unless you can easily afford it and/or
are REALLY serious about cycling). Does that make a Habbie low-end high-end?
High-end mid-range? Insanely expensive low-end? But I digress...

--
Kovie

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " > wrote in message
> Ryan-<< Habaneros are also an acceptable budget alternative to Serottas.
> >><BR><BR>
>

> But delete 'budget'. From my dealings with Ben and Serotta, Serotta would
be a
> distant choice for me, both as a ride and as a company I would want to do
biz
> with.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Kovie
July 13th 04, 10:11 PM
"Budget" is a relative term here. I built up a mostly Centaur-equipped
Habbie (Ultegra brakes & DA pedals) recently for around $2k. For most folks
that's a lot of money for a bike, but I guess that when compared to Serottas
& Merlins it's "budget". What do Serottas go for? I recently came across a
$7500 Merlin (which to me is insane unless you can easily afford it and/or
are REALLY serious about cycling). Does that make a Habbie low-end high-end?
High-end mid-range? Insanely expensive low-end? But I digress...

--
Kovie

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " > wrote in message
> Ryan-<< Habaneros are also an acceptable budget alternative to Serottas.
> >><BR><BR>
>

> But delete 'budget'. From my dealings with Ben and Serotta, Serotta would
be a
> distant choice for me, both as a ride and as a company I would want to do
biz
> with.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 14th 04, 01:46 PM
kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>

Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset. For
those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 14th 04, 01:46 PM
kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>

Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset. For
those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Bill Lloyd
July 14th 04, 05:45 PM
On 2004-07-14 05:46:36 -0700, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) said:

> kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>
>
> Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset. For
> those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.

Yeah, well their rack lugged steel 4 lb frames are like $2300. A fair
bit more than my custom Ti Moots frame. Hmmm... people definitely will
pay for a name ;-)

Bill Lloyd
July 14th 04, 05:45 PM
On 2004-07-14 05:46:36 -0700, (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) said:

> kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>
>
> Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset. For
> those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.

Yeah, well their rack lugged steel 4 lb frames are like $2300. A fair
bit more than my custom Ti Moots frame. Hmmm... people definitely will
pay for a name ;-)

Kovie
July 15th 04, 08:46 AM
Ouch. But if you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Just hope the SO
understands (or money just isn't an issue).

--
Kovie

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " > wrote in message
> kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>
>
> Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset. For
> those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Kovie
July 15th 04, 08:46 AM
Ouch. But if you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Just hope the SO
understands (or money just isn't an issue).

--
Kovie

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " > wrote in message
> kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>
>
> Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset. For
> those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Kovie
July 15th 04, 08:51 AM
And, I should have added, JFK certainly has the bucks, and I'm sure that
Teresa understands. (And they say he prefers all things French!)

--
Kovie

"Kovie" > wrote in message
> Ouch. But if you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Just hope the SO
> understands (or money just isn't an issue).
>
> --
> Kovie
>

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo " > wrote in message
> > kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset.
For
> > those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.
> >
> > Peter Chisholm
> > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> > 1833 Pearl St.
> > Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535
> > http://www.vecchios.com
> > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Kovie
July 15th 04, 09:02 AM

"Kovie" > wrote in message
> Ouch. But if you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Just hope the SO
> understands (or money just isn't an issue).
>
> --
> Kovie
>

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo " > wrote in message
> > kovie-<< What do Serottas go for? >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Legend Ti is $3000+(frameset only) and the ottrott is $5000, frameset.
For
> > those prices you could have MANY really nice complete bicycles.
> >
> > Peter Chisholm
> > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> > 1833 Pearl St.
> > Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535
> > http://www.vecchios.com
> > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

meb
July 25th 04, 08:18 AM
Kovie Wrote:
> If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas
> for
> some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given
> where
> he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
> mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush
> ride
> (when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior
> Republicans
> are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul
> Begala
> and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob
> Novak
> down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight
> see.)
>
> --
> Kovie
>

> "Dave Thompson" > wrote in message
> >
> > "H. Guy" > wrote in message
> > > over the past month in my rides through d.c. and northern
> > > virginia, i've noticed a HUGE increase over last year's
> > > serotta population. from my youthful days, i remember when
> > > serottas were a kind of bike geek guilty pleasure, and now
> > > seems like there are almost as many of them out there as
> > > there are treks!
> > >
> > > have they recently pushed into the massier end of mass
> > > production, or is this just a case of washington politico
> > > monkey-see-monkey-do after john kerry was photographed
> > > on a serotta?
> >
> > Serotta has been building bikes for 30 years. They have a long life,
> and
> > their riders are quite active. Perhaps after seeing John Kerry on
> one, you
> > started recognizing them and hence observed more. There are lots of
> Serottas
> > out there. Their forum is very active: http://www.serotta.com/forum/

I’d speculate that Kovie has astutely pinned the tail on the donkey.
Congressional staffers, campaign workers, and political appointees
include a significant contingent power mimics.

Don’t know precisely where you ride, but since you said DC first, I’d
speculate you ride more often on the other side of the Potomac than I
and may be riding closer to those in the political world. I haven’t
noticed any such change myself, but I’ll keep my eyes out.

Spokes is the only listed VA/DC/MD dealer in these bikes, you might
stop in one of their shops and see. On the chance the manufacturer’s
website is not current or that other shops are special ordering bikes
they don’t carry-you might stop at these upscale DC area shops & see if
they have started pushing Serottas and/or have a bunch in their
inventory or have been ordering some:

Revolution Cycles
Bicycle Pro Shop
Capital Hill Bikes
City Bikes
Big Wheel Bikes

You might also strike up a conversation with some of the riders and
find out how long he had his/her Serrotta, how they first became aware
of the brand, and see if there is a trend.

BTW
Our Pres fell off his Segway last summer in Kennibunckport
I frequently see Carville at stores here in Arlington-have yet to see
him on bike-though that might be amusing.

You know for years the Cola wars saw Pepsi vs. Coke available at the
White House premised upon whichever cola’s party won the presidential
election. Could be interesting to speculate on the politics of Trek
vs. Cannondale et al..

Now that Kerry has a large Secret Service contingent, I'd speculate his
Seratta movement would be rather impractical with any regularity around
here, so if he’s riding locally it must be on private land.

--
meb

meb
July 25th 04, 08:18 AM
Kovie Wrote:
> [...]

Big Wheel Bikes

You might also strike up a conversation with some of the riders and
find out how long he had his/her Serrotta, how they first became aware
of the brand, and see if there is a trend.

BTW
Our Pres fell off his Segway last summer in Kennibunckport
I frequently see Carville at stores here in Arlington-have yet to see
him on bike-though that might be amusing.

You know for years the Cola wars saw Pepsi vs. Coke available at the
White House premised upon whichever cola’s party won the presidential
election. Could be interesting to speculate on the politics of Trek
vs. Cannondale et al..

Now that Kerry has a large Secret Service contingent, I'd speculate his
Seratta movement would be rather impractical with any regularity around
here, so if he’s riding locally it must be on private land.

July 27th 04, 08:50 AM
Kovie Wrote:
> If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas
> for
> some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given
> where
> he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
> mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush
> ride
> (when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior
> Republicans
> are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul
> Begala
> and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob
> Novak
> down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight
> see.)
>
> --
> Kovie
>

> >[/color]

Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html

--
meb

meb
July 27th 04, 08:50 AM
Kovie Wrote:
> If you read the original post you'll see that he's known about Serottas
> for
> some time so I'm sure he would have recognized them last year. Given
> where
> he rides I'm going to assume that his guess isn't that off the
> mark--although I think it's more donkey-see-donkey-do. What does Bush
> ride
> (when he's not busy falling off it)? I'd bet that lots of junior
> Republicans
> are doing a similar elephant-see-elephant-do thing. What next, Paul
> Begala
> and James Carville going head to head against Tucker Carlson and Bob
> Novak
> down Pennsylvania Avenue? (Although Edwards vs. Cheney would be a sight
> see.)
>
> --
> Kovie
>

> >[/color]

Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html

--
meb

H. Guy
July 27th 04, 04:07 PM
In article >,
meb > wrote:

> Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
> start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.
>
> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html

my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".

i'll let you know if i spot any treks. ;)

H. Guy
July 27th 04, 04:07 PM
In article >,
meb > wrote:

> Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
> start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.
>
> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html

my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".

i'll let you know if i spot any treks. ;)

RonSonic
July 28th 04, 05:04 AM
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:01 GMT, "H. Guy" > wrote:

>In article >,
> meb > wrote:
>
>> Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
>> start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.
>>
>> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html
>
>my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
>fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".

Wassamatta, secret service won't let him take the reflectors off the wheels.
That's what I see wrong with that photo.

Ron
(hoping there's no reflector debate like that helmet thing that won't stop)

RonSonic
July 28th 04, 05:04 AM
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:01 GMT, "H. Guy" > wrote:

>In article >,
> meb > wrote:
>
>> Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
>> start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.
>>
>> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html
>
>my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
>fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".

Wassamatta, secret service won't let him take the reflectors off the wheels.
That's what I see wrong with that photo.

Ron
(hoping there's no reflector debate like that helmet thing that won't stop)

meb
July 28th 04, 11:37 PM
RonSonic Wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:01 GMT, "H. Guy" >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > meb > wrote:
> >
> >> Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
> >> start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.
> >>
> >> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html
> >
> >my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
> >fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".
>
> Wassamatta, secret service won't let him take the reflectors off the
> wheels.
> That's what I see wrong with that photo.
>
> Ron
> (hoping there's no reflector debate like that helmet thing that won't
> stop)

How about the toeclips.

--
meb

meb
July 28th 04, 11:37 PM
RonSonic Wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:01 GMT, "H. Guy" >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > meb > wrote:
> >
> >> Bush has a carbon fiber Trek Fuel 98 Mountain Bike. So, H guy can
> >> start looking for the elephant edition on that model too.
> >>
> >> http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~11676~2295827,00.html
> >
> >my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
> >fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".
>
> Wassamatta, secret service won't let him take the reflectors off the
> wheels.
> That's what I see wrong with that photo.
>
> Ron
> (hoping there's no reflector debate like that helmet thing that won't
> stop)

How about the toeclips.

--
meb

RonSonic
July 29th 04, 02:36 AM
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:37:34 +1000, meb
> wrote:

>RonSonic Wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:01 GMT, "H. Guy" >
>> wrote:

>> >my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
>> >fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".
>>
>> Wassamatta, secret service won't let him take the reflectors off the
>> wheels.
>> That's what I see wrong with that photo.
>>
>> Ron
>> (hoping there's no reflector debate like that helmet thing that won't
>> stop)
>
>How about the toeclips.

Them, I understand.

Ron

RonSonic
July 29th 04, 02:36 AM
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:37:34 +1000, meb
> wrote:

>RonSonic Wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:07:01 GMT, "H. Guy" >
>> wrote:

>> >my god does he look like a doof on that thing! let's hope he doesn't
>> >fall TOO much, or he'll probably add wisconsin to the "axis of evil".
>>
>> Wassamatta, secret service won't let him take the reflectors off the
>> wheels.
>> That's what I see wrong with that photo.
>>
>> Ron
>> (hoping there's no reflector debate like that helmet thing that won't
>> stop)
>
>How about the toeclips.

Them, I understand.

Ron