PDA

View Full Version : Was I caught by an electric bike?

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 4th 11, 06:27 PM
Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.

I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html

Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
hopelessly outclassed :)

I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

Alan Erskine[_3_]
March 4th 11, 08:48 PM
On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>
> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html
>

> Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
> hopelessly outclassed :)
>
> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
> from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.

The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 5th 11, 05:05 AM
On 5/03/2011 7:48 AM, Alan Erskine wrote:
> On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>
>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html
>>

>> Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
>> hopelessly outclassed :)
>>
>> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
>> from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
>> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
>> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
>
> The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
> Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)

No, that was the other chick at Regent Street, Redfern :) That one was
riding a road bike and and I simply could not keep up - not that I
wasn't trying despite the obvious advantages of "falling behind" :) I
give no quarter when I am riding my bike.

God's truth, she beat me fair and square - tight shorts AND in rubber
thongs!!!! Yes, I know some smart arse will ask, she did have a top on :)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 5th 11, 05:07 AM
On 5/03/2011 2:10 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of Alan > on Sat,
> 05 Mar 2011 07:48:37 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
>>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>>
>>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html
>>>

>>> Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
>>> hopelessly outclassed :)
>>>
>>> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
>>> from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
>>> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
>>> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
>>
>> The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
>> Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)
>
> To give Geoff the benefit of the doubt , it was probably a windy day and
> the dust was swirling around making visibility almost impossible. ;-)

No, mate, the one in Mascot was just dressed normally and there was
virtually no wind :)

I still reckon she had an electric bike with some snazzy minuscule motor
hidden in he rear hub. :)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 5th 11, 05:55 AM
On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>
>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html

>> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
>>from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
>> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
>> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
>
> My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had the motor on the
> front wheel which presented as an axle slightly larger than normal.

A front wheel motor, eh?

The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
for them.

> The battery was about an inch thick, underneath the basket and the same
> length and width as the basket.

Can't rightly remember where the battery was for the postie bike. I
think it was under the seat. Much like the tool bag on your new trike, I
think.

> A disadvantage with that trike was it only had 3 gears when I needed to
> peddle it.
>
> My current trike has much the same arrangement with the motor on the
> front wheel. The battery presents as if it could be a tool bag under the
> seat. An advantage is this trike has 6 gears when I need to peddle it.

How big is that battery? How long does it last under "normal" use? Any
specs - voltage, amps? Have you tried the maximum speed your trike is
capable of? And oh, no need for precise details as you could always just
point me to some website - I am just after info which you have handy -
if you don't have them handy, don't worry too much :)

Have you tried pedaling that trike? Must be a ******* to pedal cos it
must weigh a bit.

Rob
March 5th 11, 08:08 PM
On 5/03/2011 4:55 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
> On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
>> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
>> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>>
>>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>>
>>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html
>>>

>>> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
>>> from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
>>> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
>>> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
>>
>> My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had the motor on the
>> front wheel which presented as an axle slightly larger than normal.
>
> A front wheel motor, eh?
>
> The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
> was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
> which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
> pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
> for them.

Ah! back peddle brakes?

>> The battery was about an inch thick, underneath the basket and the same
>> length and width as the basket.
>
> Can't rightly remember where the battery was for the postie bike. I
> think it was under the seat. Much like the tool bag on your new trike, I
> think.
>

>> A disadvantage with that trike was it only had 3 gears when I needed to
>> peddle it.
>>
>> My current trike has much the same arrangement with the motor on the
>> front wheel. The battery presents as if it could be a tool bag under the
>> seat. An advantage is this trike has 6 gears when I need to peddle it.
>
> How big is that battery? How long does it last under "normal" use? Any
> specs - voltage, amps? Have you tried the maximum speed your trike is
> capable of? And oh, no need for precise details as you could always just
> point me to some website - I am just after info which you have handy -
> if you don't have them handy, don't worry too much :)
>
> Have you tried pedaling that trike? Must be a ******* to pedal cos it
> must weigh a bit.

Rob
March 5th 11, 08:11 PM
On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>
>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html
>>
>> Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
>> hopelessly outclassed :)
>>
>> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
>>from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
>> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
>> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
>
> My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had the motor on the
> front wheel which presented as an axle slightly larger than normal.
>
> The battery was about an inch thick, underneath the basket and the same
> length and width as the basket.
>
> A disadvantage with that trike was it only had 3 gears when I needed to
> peddle it.
>
> My current trike has much the same arrangement with the motor on the
> front wheel. The battery presents as if it could be a tool bag under the
> seat. An advantage is this trike has 6 gears when I need to peddle it.

The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 03:23 AM
On 6/03/2011 7:08 AM, Rob wrote:
> On 5/03/2011 4:55 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
>> On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
>>> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
>>> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

>> The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
>> was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
>> which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
>> pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
>> for them.

> Ah! back peddle brakes?

Yeah? You having me on, aren't you? :)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 03:31 AM
On 6/03/2011 12:21 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
> 16:55:01 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
>>> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
>>> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

>>> My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had the motor on the
>>> front wheel which presented as an axle slightly larger than normal.
>>
>> A front wheel motor, eh?
>
> Being a trike a front wheel motor is the only choice. If you wanted a
> rear motor you would need to fit motors to both back wheels otherwise
> the trike would probably go around in circles. :-)

Heheheh! I guess if you drove only one rear wheel of the trike, that
would happen, eh? :)

>> Have you tried the maximum speed your trike is
>> capable of? And oh, no need for precise details as you could always just
>> point me to some website - I am just after info which you have handy -
>> if you don't have them handy, don't worry too much :)
>
> My first trike from The Electric Bicycle Company had a speedo and I was
> never able to exceed 20kph. My current trike also does 20kph which is
> the maximum speed an unregistered electric trike is able to travel at.

Ah! It's not a registered vehicle. I see.

>> Have you tried pedaling that trike? Must be a ******* to pedal cos it
>> must weigh a bit.
>
> Yes I have, with a very very full basket of groceries I was able to
> pedal home, I used 1st 2nd& 3rd but there was no chance of me obtaining
> a higher gear. ;-)

Heheheh! You need to find a downhill section, eh? :)

But being able to use the first 3 gears with a fully laden trike
suggests that the gear ratios are not too bad.

You have one of these?

http://www.electricbicycle.com.au/electrictricycle.html

Theo Bekkers[_2_]
March 6th 11, 03:34 AM
"Geoff Lock" <glock@home> wrote
> On 6/03/2011 7:08 AM, Rob wrote:
>> On 5/03/2011 4:55 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:

>>> The postie bike I saw in Canterbury had the motor in the rear hub. It
>>> was hardly noticeable and at first I thought it was one of those hubs
>>> which had the brakes built into it - you know the ones I mean, where you
>>> pedal backwards and the brakes kick in - dunno what the correct name is
>>> for them.
>
>> Ah! back peddle brakes?
>
> Yeah? You having me on, aren't you? :)

Except for the spelling, no. Back pedal brakes, also known as coaster brakes
were pretty much standard on most bikes when I was a kid.

Theo

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 03:40 AM
On 6/03/2011 7:11 AM, Rob wrote:
> On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
>> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
>> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>>
>>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>>
>>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html

> The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
> something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.

Max for ANY motor is 200W - more than that and you need to register the
vehicle.

Uner the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999

ROAD RULES 2008

"bicycle" means a vehicle with 2 or more wheels that is built to be
propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not
it has an auxiliary motor), and:

(a) includes a pedicab, penny-farthing and tricycle, but

(b) does not include a wheelchair, wheeled recreational device,
wheeled toy, or any vehicle with an auxiliary motor capable of
generating a power output over 200 watts (whether or not the motor is
operating).

The SMH article above talks of moves to take it to 250W to bring us into
line with the Europeans so that we can import more models.

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 03:44 AM
On 6/03/2011 12:52 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of > on Sun, 06 Mar 2011
> 07:11:19 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
>> something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.
>
> That is correct and there is the further restriction of not being
> allowed to exceed 20kph.

Dunno about the 20kph restriction in NSW - maybe that is for anything
which do not fall within the legislation. I am no legal expert - what do
I know :)

> Although there is a movement pressing to allow for unregistered electric
> bicycles in excess of 200w.
>
> I'm a licensed driver but stopped driving and sold my car because of
> medications I take that restricted my ability to control a car.
>
> If they introduce unregistered 250w or 300w electric bicycles I will
> still probably stick with what I've got because I still feel in control.

Yeah, always good to be in control of your bike. Falling off is painful :)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 03:49 AM
On 6/03/2011 2:34 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "Geoff Lock"<glock@home> wrote

>>> Ah! back peddle brakes?
>>
>> Yeah? You having me on, aren't you? :)
>
> Except for the spelling, no. Back pedal brakes, also known as coaster brakes
> were pretty much standard on most bikes when I was a kid.

Well, I tend to ignore spelling mistakes. It's usually easy enough to
figure out what is meant. :)

So, back pedal brakes or coaster brakes, eh? Well, there you go - I
learn something every day. Problem is, sometimes, it is the same thing I
forgot from yesterday :)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 04:39 AM
On 6/03/2011 3:17 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sun, 06 Mar 2011
> 14:31:31 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> On 6/03/2011 12:21 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
>>> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
>>> 16:55:01 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

>>> Yes I have, with a very very full basket of groceries I was able to
>>> pedal home, I used 1st 2nd& 3rd but there was no chance of me obtaining
>>> a higher gear. ;-)
>>
>> Heheheh! You need to find a downhill section, eh? :)
>
> There is no respite on downhill sections, if I don't use the electric
> motor or pedal, the stinking thing will stop.

Why is that? Some kinda safety braking system coming into play?

>> You have one of these?
>
>> http://www.electricbicycle.com.au/electrictricycle.html
>
> Yes I think that looks awfully like my first trike from The Electric
> Bicycle Company. Twin mirrors, front headlights and rear tail lights
> plus a horn to beep motorists which I never ever dared to use.

I don't even have a bell on my road bike and yes, it does make my road
bike unroadworthy but I find that B-doubles tend to ignore me when I
ring my bell :)

> Currently: http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/indi-rambler-tricycle.html
>
> A Gomier for which an electric kit is available from any bicycle shop is
> my current trike.

Hey, that bike looks flash :) Wanna race? :)

Theo Bekkers[_2_]
March 6th 11, 05:00 AM
"Geoff Lock" <glock@home> wrote
> On 6/03/2011 2:34 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> Except for the spelling, no. Back pedal brakes, also known as coaster
>> brakes
>> were pretty much standard on most bikes when I was a kid.
>
> Well, I tend to ignore spelling mistakes. It's usually easy enough to
> figure out what is meant. :)
>
> So, back pedal brakes or coaster brakes, eh? Well, there you go - I learn
> something every day. Problem is, sometimes, it is the same thing I forgot
> from yesterday :)

You're joking or much younger than I thought. What are you? 15? 17?
In the fifties, sixties and seventies, most bikes were single-speed,
back-pedal brake machines. There's still a plethora of them for sale in most
bike shops, though mostly fitted on children's bikes now.

Theo

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 6th 11, 06:06 AM
On 6/03/2011 4:00 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "Geoff Lock"<glock@home> wrote
>> On 6/03/2011 2:34 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>

>> So, back pedal brakes or coaster brakes, eh? Well, there you go - I learn
>> something every day. Problem is, sometimes, it is the same thing I forgot
>> from yesterday :)
>
> You're joking or much younger than I thought. What are you? 15? 17?
> In the fifties, sixties and seventies, most bikes were single-speed,
> back-pedal brake machines. There's still a plethora of them for sale in most
> bike shops, though mostly fitted on children's bikes now.

No, not joking. I come from a very poor background as a kid and as the
saying goes, "If I didn't have an erection in the morning, I'd have
nothing to play with all day".

Bicycles, as toys, were a luxury item. The only bikes I knew had normal
lever brakes and those were for adult use. I learnt to ride on an adult
sized bike as a kid but that is another story.

I think the first bike I encountered which had coaster brakes was when I
was in my late teens and I kinda remembered what a great idea until I
tried riding one :) Not that easy when one is not used to them as I
would back-pedal way too hard and get all tangled up. I did get the hang
of it after a few minutes though and I have never ridden another since.

Actually, I think I may have worked on one such bike a coupla years ago
for a neighbour's kid - he had a puncture and his dad wasn't brave
enough to take the rear wheel off to fix it so I got the job :)

Even though I only asked for the cost of the inner tube, $5-6 from KMart
(I rode 5kms to pick it up), I got paid top dollar by his dad too - $25
for supply and fit inner tube!! I, subsequently, invested the profits
wisely in a 6pack of beer!!! :)

F Murtz[_2_]
March 6th 11, 06:10 AM
Geoff Lock wrote:
> On 6/03/2011 12:52 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
>> I caught a glimpse of > on Sun, 06 Mar 2011
>> 07:11:19 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>>
>>> The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
>>> something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.
>>
>> That is correct and there is the further restriction of not being
>> allowed to exceed 20kph.
>
> Dunno about the 20kph restriction in NSW - maybe that is for anything
> which do not fall within the legislation. I am no legal expert - what do
> I know :)
>
>> Although there is a movement pressing to allow for unregistered electric
>> bicycles in excess of 200w.
>>
>> I'm a licensed driver but stopped driving and sold my car because of
>> medications I take that restricted my ability to control a car.
>>
>> If they introduce unregistered 250w or 300w electric bicycles I will
>> still probably stick with what I've got because I still feel in control.
>
> Yeah, always good to be in control of your bike. Falling off is painful :)

http://www.zbox.com.au/legal.htm

Alan Erskine[_3_]
March 6th 11, 12:52 PM
On 5/03/2011 4:05 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
> On 5/03/2011 7:48 AM, Alan Erskine wrote:
>> On 5/03/2011 5:27 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
>>> Well, a coupla days ago, I was saying how I was caught at the lights by
>>> a female on a girly bike with a basket up front.
>>>
>>> I just read this in the Sydney Morning Herald.
>>>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/we-want-lances-legs-city-cyclists-embrace-ebikes-20110304-1bi1d.html
>>>

>>> Maybe that was how she caught up to me but then again maybe I was just
>>> hopelessly outclassed :)
>>>
>>> I could have sworn I didn't see any batteries anywhere on that bike but
>>> from what little I know about motors and batteries on electric bikes,
>>> they can be pretty small and can blend in very nicely to being almost
>>> invisible, eg the electric bikes used by some Australia Post posties.
>>
>> The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
>> Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)
>
> No, that was the other chick at Regent Street, Redfern :) That one was
> riding a road bike and and I simply could not keep up - not that I
> wasn't trying despite the obvious advantages of "falling behind" :) I
> give no quarter when I am riding my bike.
>
> God's truth, she beat me fair and square - tight shorts AND in rubber
> thongs!!!! Yes, I know some smart arse will ask, she did have a top on :)

I remember seeing a woman at Chadstone (Melbourne) Shopping Centre one
day - she was wearing a beehive wig and the tightest shorts and high
heels - and riding a bike!

She even had a helmet on - not that it fitted over the hairdo! 8-)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
March 7th 11, 01:45 AM
On 6/03/2011 11:52 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:
> On 5/03/2011 4:05 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:

>>> The fact that she was wearing tight shorts, ala Delvene Delany from The
>>> Paul Hogan Show, might have 'clouded your view'? ;-)

>> God's truth, she beat me fair and square - tight shorts AND in rubber
>> thongs!!!! Yes, I know some smart arse will ask, she did have a top on :)
>
> I remember seeing a woman at Chadstone (Melbourne) Shopping Centre one
> day - she was wearing a beehive wig and the tightest shorts and high
> heels - and riding a bike!
>
> She even had a helmet on - not that it fitted over the hairdo! 8-)

Hey, I get to be the smart arse this time :) Did she have a top on? :)

Alan Erskine[_3_]
March 7th 11, 09:54 AM
On 7/03/2011 12:45 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
> On 6/03/2011 11:52 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

>> She even had a helmet on - not that it fitted over the hairdo! 8-)
>
> Hey, I get to be the smart arse this time :) Did she have a top on? :)

With everything else, I just didn't notice.....

Fast Freddy
March 8th 11, 02:42 AM
On 06/03/11 12:52, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> I caught a glimpse of > on Sun, 06 Mar 2011
> 07:11:19 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:
>
>> The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
>> something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.
>
> That is correct and there is the further restriction of not being
> allowed to exceed 20kph.

25km/h I think, plus the motor cuts out at speeds over that or is
supposed to, so if you are cycling along the flat at 30km/h the motor is
not assisting.

> Although there is a movement pressing to allow for unregistered electric
> bicycles in excess of 200w.

well hopefully they will up the power to 250W, wait and see

thefathippy
March 8th 11, 04:07 AM
On Mar 6, 2:34*pm, "Theo Bekkers" > wrote:
> "Geoff Lock" <glock@home> wrote

> >> Ah! back peddle brakes?
>
> > Yeah? You having me on, aren't you? :)
>
> Except for the spelling, no. Back pedal brakes, also known as coaster brakes
> were pretty much standard on most bikes when I was a kid.
>
> Theo

Aah, those were the days....

Tony F

person[_2_]
March 25th 11, 06:20 AM
On Mar 6, 1:40*pm, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> On 6/03/2011 7:11 AM, Rob wrote:
>
> > On 5/03/2011 2:03 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
> >> I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock<glock@home> on Sat, 05 Mar 2011
> >> 05:27:17 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

> > The RTA have some restrictions on the motor capacity which I think
> > something like over 200W??? motors have to be registered.
>
> Max for ANY motor is 200W - more than that and you need to register the
> vehicle.
>
> Uner the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999
>
> ROAD RULES 2008
>
> "bicycle" means a vehicle with 2 or more wheels that is built to be
> propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not
> it has an auxiliary motor), and:
>
> * * *(a) includes a pedicab, penny-farthing and tricycle, but
>
> * * *(b) does not include a wheelchair, wheeled recreational device,
> wheeled toy, or any vehicle with an auxiliary motor capable of
> generating a power output over 200 watts (whether or not the motor is
> operating).
>
> The SMH article above talks of moves to take it to 250W to bring us into
> line with the Europeans so that we can import more models.

Yeah, but the police enforce the Act, not the standard, which only
applies to importers and sellers of new bikes.
So the 200W limit stays.

> That is correct and there is the further restriction of not being
> allowed to exceed 20kph.

Where ? There is no such law in the SA Motor Vehicles Act.
It's impossible to enforce anyway as bikes are not required to have
speedometers.

Zebee Johnstone
March 25th 11, 07:04 AM
In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
person > wrote:
> On Mar 6, 1:40Â*pm, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
>> On 6/03/2011 7:11 AM, Rob wrote:
>> The SMH article above talks of moves to take it to 250W to bring us into
>> line with the Europeans so that we can import more models.
>
> Yeah, but the police enforce the Act, not the standard, which only
> applies to importers and sellers of new bikes.
> So the 200W limit stays.

The rumour is that the NSW legislation will change, but the bods I've
talked to say it's a year away minimum.

>> That is correct and there is the further restriction of not being
>> allowed to exceed 20kph.
>
> Where ? There is no such law in the SA Motor Vehicles Act.
> It's impossible to enforce anyway as bikes are not required to have
> speedometers.

Doesn't matter. Like all speed restrictions you are responsible for
not breaking the law. No speedo or no working speedo is irrelevant.

Zebee
- who owns a legal motorcycle with no speedo. And has had no
speeding tickets on it, but knows lack of a speedo won't nullify
the ticket.

person[_2_]
April 5th 11, 05:53 AM
On Mar 25, 4:04*pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
>
> person > wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 1:40*pm, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> >> On 6/03/2011 7:11 AM, Rob wrote:
> >> The SMH article above talks of moves to take it to 250W to bring us into
> >> line with the Europeans so that we can import more models.
>
> > Yeah, but the police enforce the Act, not the standard, which only
> > applies to importers and sellers of new bikes.
> > So the 200W limit stays.
>
> The rumour is that the NSW legislation will change, but the bods I've
> talked to say it's a year away minimum.
>

> >> That is correct and there is the further restriction of not being
> >> allowed to exceed 20kph.
>
> > Where ? *There is no such law in the SA Motor Vehicles Act.
> > It's impossible to enforce anyway as bikes are not required to have
> > speedometers.
>
> Doesn't matter. *Like all speed restrictions you are responsible for
> not breaking the law. *No speedo or no working speedo is irrelevant.
>
> Zebee
> *- who owns a legal motorcycle with no speedo. *And has had no
> * *speeding tickets on it, but knows lack of a speedo won't nullify
> the ticket.

Can't find anywhere in SA Motor Vehicles Act referring to speed limits
for bicycles.

The speed fine legislation only refers to "motor vehicles".
You can still get busted for "failure to be in control of a vehicle"
or "reckless driving" though.

Motorcycles not fitted with speedometers are NOT legal on public roads.

F Murtz[_2_]
April 5th 11, 12:30 PM
person wrote:
> On Mar 25, 4:04 pm, Zebee > wrote:
>> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, but the police enforce the Act, not the standard, which only
>>> applies to importers and sellers of new bikes.
>>> So the 200W limit stays.
>>
>> The rumour is that the NSW legislation will change, but the bods I've
>> talked to say it's a year away minimum.

>>> Where ? There is no such law in the SA Motor Vehicles Act.
>>> It's impossible to enforce anyway as bikes are not required to have
>>> speedometers.
>>
>> Doesn't matter. Like all speed restrictions you are responsible for
>> not breaking the law. No speedo or no working speedo is irrelevant.
>>
>> Zebee
>> - who owns a legal motorcycle with no speedo. And has had no
>> speeding tickets on it, but knows lack of a speedo won't nullify
>> the ticket.
>
> Can't find anywhere in SA Motor Vehicles Act referring to speed limits
> for bicycles.
>
> The speed fine legislation only refers to "motor vehicles".
> You can still get busted for "failure to be in control of a vehicle"
> or "reckless driving" though.
>
> Motorcycles not fitted with speedometers are NOT legal on public roads.

I would not be so sure with that statement and I am certain you are wrong

John Henderson
April 5th 11, 09:45 PM
person wrote:

> Can't find anywhere in SA Motor Vehicles Act referring to speed limits
> for bicycles.

At least at one time, "no speed limits in the ACT apply to
cyclists on or off the road." - see archived article from
http://web.archive.org/web/20040421082523/http:/www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm

However, in recent times I have seen speed limit signs up on
certain shared paths in the ACT. And in Brisbane. The safe
assumption is that these are enforcable. But maybe they're a
bluff, like the "Pedestrians beware of trucks crossing" signs
on some footpaths.

I do wonder about the applicability of general traffic speed
limits to bicycles in individual states. In my experience, it's
no use asking the police because they don't know (although
doubtless some are prepared to assume they do).

John

Rob
April 5th 11, 11:01 PM
On 6/04/2011 6:45 AM, John Henderson wrote:
> person wrote:
>
>> Can't find anywhere in SA Motor Vehicles Act referring to speed limits
>> for bicycles.
>
> At least at one time, "no speed limits in the ACT apply to
> cyclists on or off the road." - see archived article from
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040421082523/http:/www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm
>
> However, in recent times I have seen speed limit signs up on
> certain shared paths in the ACT. And in Brisbane. The safe
> assumption is that these are enforcable. But maybe they're a
> bluff, like the "Pedestrians beware of trucks crossing" signs
> on some footpaths.
>
> I do wonder about the applicability of general traffic speed
> limits to bicycles in individual states. In my experience, it's
> no use asking the police because they don't know (although
> doubtless some are prepared to assume they do).
>
> John

Like to see what your local politician can come up with, if you wrote to
them. That would give them something to do.

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 6th 11, 07:23 AM
On 6/04/2011 6:45 AM, John Henderson wrote:
> person wrote:
>
>> Can't find anywhere in SA Motor Vehicles Act referring to speed limits
>> for bicycles.
>
> At least at one time, "no speed limits in the ACT apply to
> cyclists on or off the road." - see archived article from
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040421082523/http:/www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm
>
> However, in recent times I have seen speed limit signs up on
> certain shared paths in the ACT. And in Brisbane. The safe
> assumption is that these are enforcable. But maybe they're a
> bluff, like the "Pedestrians beware of trucks crossing" signs
> on some footpaths.

In NSW, if it is a speed limit sign, it must be obeyed.

From Road Rules 2008, Regulation 21

"Speed limit where a speed limit sign applies

21 Speed limit where a speed limit sign applies

(1) The speed limit applying to a driver for a length of road to
which a speed limit sign applies is the number of kilometres per hour
indicated by the number on the sign.

....."

> I do wonder about the applicability of general traffic speed
> limits to bicycles in individual states. In my experience, it's
> no use asking the police because they don't know (although
> doubtless some are prepared to assume they do).

From my reading of the Road Rules 2008, it would appear that in NSW, a
cyclist is simply just a driver of a vehicle and is subject to whatever
the Road Rules dictates in regards to speed limits.

RidetoWork
April 6th 11, 09:55 AM
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:23:09 +1000, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:

>On 6/04/2011 6:45 AM, John Henderson wrote:
>> person wrote:
>>
>>> Can't find anywhere in SA Motor Vehicles Act referring to speed limits
>>> for bicycles.
>>
>> At least at one time, "no speed limits in the ACT apply to
>> cyclists on or off the road." - see archived article from
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20040421082523/http:/www.pedalpower.org.au/about/law.htm
>>
>> However, in recent times I have seen speed limit signs up on
>> certain shared paths in the ACT. And in Brisbane. The safe
>> assumption is that these are enforcable. But maybe they're a
>> bluff, like the "Pedestrians beware of trucks crossing" signs
>> on some footpaths.
>
>In NSW, if it is a speed limit sign, it must be obeyed.
>
> From Road Rules 2008, Regulation 21
>
>"Speed limit where a speed limit sign applies
>
>21 Speed limit where a speed limit sign applies
>
> (1) The speed limit applying to a driver for a length of road to
>which a speed limit sign applies is the number of kilometres per hour
>indicated by the number on the sign.
>
>...."
>

>> I do wonder about the applicability of general traffic speed
>> limits to bicycles in individual states. In my experience, it's
>> no use asking the police because they don't know (although
>> doubtless some are prepared to assume they do).
>
> From my reading of the Road Rules 2008, it would appear that in NSW, a
>cyclist is simply just a driver of a vehicle and is subject to whatever
>the Road Rules dictates in regards to speed limits.

In NSW a bicycle is considered a "vehicle" and the general road rules
apply unless a "bicycle" is specifically identified, ie give way, stop
red lights....same rule apply as to cars and truckes.
Ride like your life depended on it !

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 6th 11, 08:17 PM
On 6/04/2011 6:55 PM, ridetowork wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:23:09 +1000, Geoff Lock<glock@home> wrote:
>
>> On 6/04/2011 6:45 AM, John Henderson wrote:
>>> person wrote:

>> From my reading of the Road Rules 2008, it would appear that in NSW, a
>> cyclist is simply just a driver of a vehicle and is subject to whatever
>> the Road Rules dictates in regards to speed limits.
>
> In NSW a bicycle is considered a "vehicle" and the general road rules
> apply unless a "bicycle" is specifically identified, ie give way, stop
> red lights....same rule apply as to cars and truckes.
> Ride like your life depended on it !

You betcha :)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home