PDA

View Full Version : Freewheel Sprocket Removal

Alan[_7_]
March 18th 11, 08:36 AM
I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is to
big .
The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody know
where I can buy one?
I am in Perth WA
Thanks

Rob
March 18th 11, 12:14 PM
On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:
> I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is to
> big .
> The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody know
> where I can buy one?
> I am in Perth WA
> Thanks

Why not take the wheel into a cycle shop that does repairs and ask them
to remove the cluster. (most likely free)

Theo Bekkers[_2_]
March 18th 11, 12:34 PM
"Rob" > wrote in message
> On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:
>> I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is
>> big .
>> The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody
>> know
>> where I can buy one?
>> I am in Perth WA
>> Thanks
>>

> Why not take the wheel into a cycle shop that does repairs and ask them to
> remove the cluster. (most likely free)

That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.

Theo

Theo Bekkers[_2_]
March 18th 11, 01:00 PM
"Theo Bekkers" > wrote
>> On 18/03/2011 7:36 PM, Alan wrote:

>>> I need to get the sprocket off a 27" wheel and the spline tool I have is
>>> big .
>>> The sprocket is a 5 gear Shimano screw on type 1980's vintage, anybody
>>> know
>>> where I can buy one?
>>> I am in Perth WA

> That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.
>
> Theo

I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?

Theo

Rob
March 19th 11, 07:40 AM
On 19/03/2011 12:00 AM, Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.
>>
>> Theo
>
> I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?
>
> Theo

Near Sydney.

Have you looked up park tools? to find the correct tool? Looked up ebay
for the part you want?

http://www.parktool.com/category/freewheel-cassette

Alan[_7_]
March 19th 11, 11:50 AM
"Rob" > wrote in message
> On 19/03/2011 12:00 AM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>> "Theo > wrote

>>> That's one way. I have two Shimano cluster removal tools in the shed.
>>>
>>> Theo
>>
>> I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?
>>
>> Theo
>>

> Near Sydney.
>
> Have you looked up park tools? to find the correct tool? Looked up ebay
> for the part you want?
>
> http://www.parktool.com/category/freewheel-cassette

Thanks Rob, I did see that but I am not sure what size they are selling. I
already purchased one from the local bike shop but it is the wrong size and
they don't have any other size.
Alan

Rob
March 19th 11, 01:20 PM
On 19/03/2011 10:50 PM, Alan wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 19/03/2011 12:00 AM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>> "Theo > wrote

>>> I forgot to say, I am in Perth WA. Where are you?
>>>
>>> Theo
>>>

>> Near Sydney.
>>
>> Have you looked up park tools? to find the correct tool? Looked up ebay
>> for the part you want?
>>
>> http://www.parktool.com/category/freewheel-cassette
>
> Thanks Rob, I did see that but I am not sure what size they are selling. I
> already purchased one from the local bike shop but it is the wrong size and
> they don't have any other size.
> Alan

BTW You need a whip as well to hold the cluster. I made mine from a old
chain welded to a piece of metal.

John Henderson
March 19th 11, 07:15 PM
Alan wrote:

> Thanks Rob, I did see that but I am not sure what size they are selling. I
> already purchased one from the local bike shop but it is the wrong size and
> they don't have any other size.

Park Tool lists only one size for Shimano clusters, so that'll be
the newer larger size.

My new version measures about 22mm across the splines, whereas my
old version measures a little under 20mm. Both have 12 splines.

I'm in Canberra, so not much help to you.

Not even http://www.sjscycles.co.uk seems to list the old one, so
I suspect it's no longer available.

If you're not going to reuse the old cluster, you can remove it
without a tool, destroying it in the process. To quote Sheldon
Brown from http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html "to remove
and discard an old freewheel for which you have no tool, you
must disassemble the freewheel and clamp the core into a vise
-- left side of the wheel up -- then unscrew the wheel
counterclockwise"

John

John Henderson
March 19th 11, 07:21 PM
Rob wrote:

> BTW You need a whip as well to hold the cluster. I made mine from a old
> chain welded to a piece of metal.

You'd need the whip for a cassette, but not for a
freewheel/cluster.

John

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home