PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather in Sydney

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 16th 11, 10:04 AM
OK, I have been debating with myself if I should really discuss this
topic as not everybody may really care about it.

Last night (or early this morning approx 0300) was the FIRST time, I
rode 14kms home in a bit of rain and my feet were DRY!!!! The ole
shopping bag trick actually worked. I think I just lucky this time
though. Maybe it was a combination of a coupla factors which I have not
previously tort of.

Meanwhile, I have identified another pain in the ass problem which is
starting to really really really annoy me. Actually, it is not a real
pain as such, but more of a problem with my seat getting wet (to put it
politely).

The rain tends to seep thru the seat of my wet weather pants when I am
riding :(

Any suggestions on long lasting lightweight 100% waterproof wet weather
pants? The same in tops would be nice as well.

My current wet weather gear of a mismatched collection of top jacket and
pants, appear to be made up of something similar to taffeta(?) and it
all rolls up into a tight cylindrical bundle of approx 5" high by 3"
diameter. It would be nice if I could find something similar which is
100% waterproof.

Shirley Nott
April 16th 11, 11:45 PM
"Geoff Lock" <glock@home> wrote in message ...
> OK, I have been debating with myself if I should really discuss this
> topic as not everybody may really care about it.
>
> Last night (or early this morning approx 0300) was the FIRST time, I
> rode 14kms home in a bit of rain and my feet were DRY!!!! The ole
> shopping bag trick actually worked. I think I just lucky this time
> though. Maybe it was a combination of a coupla factors which I have not
> previously tort of.
>
> Meanwhile, I have identified another pain in the ass problem which is
> starting to really really really annoy me. Actually, it is not a real
> pain as such, but more of a problem with my seat getting wet (to put it
> politely).

Remove the seat - but not the seat post.

Shirley Nott.

terryc
April 17th 11, 12:12 AM
Geoff Lock wrote:
> Actually, it is not a real
> pain as such, but more of a problem with my seat getting wet (to put it
> politely).

Shower cap.

Zebee Johnstone
April 17th 11, 12:49 AM
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:12:39 +1000
terryc > wrote:
> Geoff Lock wrote:
>> Actually, it is not a real
>> pain as such, but more of a problem with my seat getting wet (to put it
>> politely).
>
> Shower cap.

Hard plastic seat that doesn't absorb water.

(Not that I can talk, as the 'bent's seat is a definite sponge.
Haven't had the Brom out in rain much yet but doesn't look like its
seat absorbs water from the little I've seen)

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone
April 17th 11, 02:48 AM
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:04:36 +1000
Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> The rain tends to seep thru the seat of my wet weather pants when I am
> riding :(

one of Jock's Laws of Motorcycling is that all wet weather gear has a
duct straight to the crotch. I don't think cycling's much different.

Problem is that either you can't avoid pooling (the motorcycle
problem) or you flex the fabric a lot and have fabric against your
skin and moisture wicks through (the bicycle problem).

Us lycra/wool wearing types just change when we get where we are
going... Those who don't or can't might want to consider a cycling
cape:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/avenir-3m-scotchlite-item126969.html

I have pondered making one for the 'bent but now I am taking that on
longer rides and the Brom on the short ones I won't bother. If I find
I'm riding the Brom a lot in the wet and it's annoying me then I might
buy a cape and try it.

Or you could get a green garbage bag, fold it, and tuck it through a
belt and sit on it, presenting a rainproof plastic backside to the
world.

Zebee

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 17th 11, 04:34 AM
On 17/04/2011 8:45 AM, Shirley Nott wrote:

> "Geoff Lock" <glock@home> wrote in message

>> Meanwhile, I have identified another pain in the ass problem which is
>> starting to really really really annoy me. Actually, it is not a real
>> pain as such, but more of a problem with my seat getting wet (to put
>> it politely).
>
> Remove the seat - but not the seat post.

Nah, not that way inclined, thanks :)

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 17th 11, 04:53 AM
On 17/04/2011 11:48 AM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:04:36 +1000
> Geoff Lock<glock@home> wrote:
>> The rain tends to seep thru the seat of my wet weather pants when I am
>> riding :(
>

> one of Jock's Laws of Motorcycling is that all wet weather gear has a
> duct straight to the crotch. I don't think cycling's much different.

Strangely, in my case, the front is reasonably dry! But then it is
probably becos I have my safety vest over my wet weather top which is
over my wet weather pants making a triple-layered approach.

> Problem is that either you can't avoid pooling (the motorcycle
> problem) or you flex the fabric a lot and have fabric against your
> skin and moisture wicks through (the bicycle problem).

And doesn't that eternally bedamned wicking wick thru the flexed fabric :(

> Us lycra/wool wearing types just change when we get where we are
> going... Those who don't or can't might want to consider a cycling
> cape:
> http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/avenir-3m-scotchlite-item126969.html

I don't think a cape is the answer for me partly becos of my riding
style and the fact that the spray from the back wheel will most likely
be kicked up under the cape.

I guess I could fit a spray guard on the back wheel to mitigate the back
wheel spray problem but I think the cape will still affect my riding style.

> Or you could get a green garbage bag, fold it, and tuck it through a
> belt and sit on it, presenting a rainproof plastic backside to the
> world.

You know, sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to think of.
This is one of them :)

I can't believe that I did not think of a garbage bag. After all I do
carry one in the back pack to store my laptop to protect it for when it
rains.

Thks for that mate.

Moike
April 17th 11, 08:01 AM
On 17/04/2011 11:48 AM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> Those who don't or can't might want to consider a cycling
> cape:
> http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/avenir-3m-scotchlite-item126969.html

That brings back memories of riding to school in the '50s and '60s,
Black rubberised fabric cloak that stretched out over the handlebars and
protected the kit-bag full of school books. It worked. sort of.

I was reminded last week by an old school mate that his mum used to pour
hot water into his handlebars on those cold Wangaratta mornings to keep
his hands warm. A couple of corks kept it in on the turned-up racing
bars that were all the go in those days. We counted it as a cold day if
you could ride over the puddles without breaking the ice....

A couple of years back I found a nylon rain cape at a garage sale, and
took it on a Great Vic Bike Ride. The one wet day was windy, and I
discovered that a rain cape makes a great sail... especially riding into
the wind.

Moike

Shirley Nott
April 17th 11, 10:26 AM
Geoff Lock wrote:
> On 17/04/2011 8:45 AM, Shirley Nott wrote:
>>
>> "Geoff Lock" <glock@home> wrote in message
>
>>> Meanwhile, I have identified another pain in the ass problem which is
>>> starting to really really really annoy me. Actually, it is not a real
>>> pain as such, but more of a problem with my seat getting wet (to put
>>> it politely).
>>
>> Remove the seat - but not the seat post.
>
> Nah, not that way inclined, thanks :)

72 degrees?

Probably not. But which way are you inclined?

Shirley Nott.

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 17th 11, 01:28 PM

?

> Probably not. But which way are you inclined?

Eeeerr, you are new around these parts, right? :)

Gettamulla Tupya[_2_]
April 17th 11, 10:27 PM
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:04:36 +1000, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:

> The rain tends to seep thru the seat of my wet weather pants when I am
> riding :(

Are you sure the moisture is coming from outside?

Geoff Lock[_2_]
April 18th 11, 04:12 AM
On 18/04/2011 7:27 AM, Gettamulla Tupya wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:04:36 +1000, Geoff Lock<glock@home> wrote:
>
>> The rain tends to seep thru the seat of my wet weather pants when I am
>> riding :(
>
> Are you sure the moisture is coming from outside?

Hahahahah!! Know whatcha mean :)

Yeah, it does seeps in thru the wet weatherfabric as the fabric flexes
and moves. There is a pretty distinctively shaped wet patch on the seat
of my jeans when I look at it.

terryc
April 18th 11, 09:19 AM
Moike wrote:
> On 17/04/2011 11:48 AM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>> Those who don't or can't might want to consider a cycling
>> cape:
>> http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/avenir-3m-scotchlite-item126969.html
>

> That brings back memories of riding to school in the '50s and '60s,
> Black rubberised fabric cloak that stretched out over the handlebars and
> protected the kit-bag full of school books. It worked. sort of.

Defintely needs mud guards and flaps for best effect.
I made my own out of Superdux, a poly/canvas mix. not sure if it is
still around.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home