PDA

View Full Version : Kwinana Freeway cycle path a mess (Perth)

Travis
May 20th 11, 10:24 AM
I don't know how many of you rode along the Freeway bike path today
given the storms, but I was one of the nutters who did.

Evidently the river must have risen during the day with waves lapping
over the path because there is river sand all over the path. There are
limestone rocks from a few cm to fist sized pieces strewn along the
path all the way from UWA to Mt Henry Bridge, great heaps of fallen
leaves and branches etc. There are places where you may have to
dismount and walk if you're on a road bike.

The path under Canning Bridge is still under water and the sand on the
path there seems to be about 20cm deep. (!!)

Question: how quick are "they" at clearing up the path? Is it likely
to still be like that on Monday or, weather permitting, are cleanup
crews likely to be dispatched to remove the bulk of the mess over the
weekend?

If it's still going to be like that next week I guess I'll be putting
wide tyres on the MTB and riding that instead of the roadie.

Travis

Travis
May 20th 11, 10:54 AM
Here's a news story on it:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/riverside-drive-kwinana-freeway-under-water/comments-e6frg13u-1226059830824

Geoff Lock[_2_]
May 20th 11, 08:16 PM
On 20/05/2011 7:54 PM, Travis wrote:
> Here's a news story on it:
> http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/riverside-drive-kwinana-freeway-under-water/comments-e6frg13u-1226059830824

Sounds like wild weather, eh?

"Long delays", too - from what I read in that article. Were you terribly
inconvenienced by those "long delays"? :)

Travis
May 21st 11, 02:24 PM
I intend to ride to uni again on Monday. I've gotten my mountain bike
set up with wide tyres that should be able to handle the sand quite
well. I'll report back, if anyone's interested, on the state of the
path then.

Travis

Geoff Lock[_2_]
May 22nd 11, 07:46 AM
On 21/05/2011 11:24 PM, Travis wrote:
> I intend to ride to uni again on Monday. I've gotten my mountain bike
> set up with wide tyres that should be able to handle the sand quite
> well. I'll report back, if anyone's interested, on the state of the
> path then.

Mate, nothing better than hearing what other riders have to say about
the tracks they ride on :)

Travis
May 23rd 11, 11:51 PM
On May 22, 2:46*pm, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> On 21/05/2011 11:24 PM, Travis wrote:
>
> > I intend to ride to uni again on Monday. I've gotten my mountain bike
> > set up with wide tyres that should be able to handle the sand quite
> > well. I'll report back, if anyone's interested, on the state of the
> > path then.
>
> Mate, nothing better than hearing what other riders have to say about
> the tracks they ride on :)

Yesterday it was mostly cleared away. It's still a sandpit under
Canning Bridge and there was a wash of sand near the Fiona Stanley
site, but otherwise good.

Travis

Geoff Lock[_2_]
May 24th 11, 05:08 AM
On 24/05/2011 8:51 AM, Travis wrote:
> On May 22, 2:46 pm, Geoff Lock<glock@home> wrote:
>> On 21/05/2011 11:24 PM, Travis wrote:

>> Mate, nothing better than hearing what other riders have to say about
>> the tracks they ride on :)
>
> Yesterday it was mostly cleared away. It's still a sandpit under
> Canning Bridge and there was a wash of sand near the Fiona Stanley
> site, but otherwise good.

Sounds like some council's doing a good job looking after the track :)

Travis
May 24th 11, 12:17 PM
On May 24, 12:08*pm, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> On 24/05/2011 8:51 AM, Travis wrote:
>
> > On May 22, 2:46 pm, Geoff Lock<glock@home> *wrote:
> >> On 21/05/2011 11:24 PM, Travis wrote:
> >> Mate, nothing better than hearing what other riders have to say about
> >> the tracks they ride on :)
>
> > Yesterday it was mostly cleared away. It's still a sandpit under
> > Canning Bridge and there was a wash of sand near the Fiona Stanley
> > site, but otherwise good.
>
> Sounds like some council's doing a good job looking after the track :)

Yep, and they finished the job at Canning Bridge today too. All swept
clean!

I've now put my narrow tyres on the MTB... ;)

Travis

Geoff Lock[_2_]
May 24th 11, 07:21 PM
On 24/05/2011 9:17 PM, Travis wrote:
> On May 24, 12:08 pm, Geoff Lock<glock@home> wrote:

> Yep, and they finished the job at Canning Bridge today too. All swept
> clean!
>
> I've now put my narrow tyres on the MTB... ;)

700x23?

Travis
May 25th 11, 09:55 AM
On May 25, 2:21*am, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> On 24/05/2011 9:17 PM, Travis wrote:

> > Yep, and they finished the job at Canning Bridge today too. All swept
> > clean!
>
> > I've now put my narrow tyres on the MTB... ;)
>
> 700x23?

26" x 1.25" MTB tyres with a semi-slick tread.. Still wider than
roadie tyres...

Travis

Travis
May 25th 11, 10:19 AM
On May 25, 2:21*am, Geoff Lock <glock@home> wrote:
> On 24/05/2011 9:17 PM, Travis wrote:

> > Yep, and they finished the job at Canning Bridge today too. All swept
> > clean!
>
> > I've now put my narrow tyres on the MTB... ;)
>
> 700x23?

26" x 1.25" MTB tyres with a semi-slick tread.. Still wider than
roadie tyres...

Travis

Geoff Lock[_2_]
May 25th 11, 03:15 PM
On 25/05/2011 6:55 PM, Travis wrote:
> On May 25, 2:21 am, Geoff Lock<glock@home> wrote:

>>> I've now put my narrow tyres on the MTB... ;)
>>
>> 700x23?
>
> 26" x 1.25" MTB tyres with a semi-slick tread.. Still wider than
> roadie tyres...

Ah, it's a MTB, of cos. My apologies - for some obscure reason I was
thinking 700x23.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home