PDA

View Full Version : Re: switching back from a touring derailleur to road...

Sheldon Brown
July 21st 04, 03:35 AM
Michael Leduc wrote:

> Just recently picked up a Lemond Wayzata with the intention of using
> it mainly as a round-the-city ride and a once-every-couple-of-years
> touring bike. In anticipation for this upcoming trip I ponied up for
> some stronger wheels and wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
> to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
> from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
> my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
> cassette.
>
> Just looking for opinions on whether there is any good reason for me
> to go back to the Tiagra derailleur as well. I understand that it is a
> lower end item and the Deore LX is probably of higher quality, but if
> there are other issues I'd love to hear them.

The only thing the Tiagra has going for it over the LX is that it is a
wee bit lighter.

Sheldon "Don't Bother" Brown
| Happy Moon Landing Day to all! None of us should |
| be working today--we should all be celebrating the |
| most important event of the last millennium! |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown
July 21st 04, 03:35 AM
Michael Leduc wrote:

> Just recently picked up a Lemond Wayzata with the intention of using
> it mainly as a round-the-city ride and a once-every-couple-of-years
> touring bike. In anticipation for this upcoming trip I ponied up for
> some stronger wheels and wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
> to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
> from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
> my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
> cassette.
>
> Just looking for opinions on whether there is any good reason for me
> to go back to the Tiagra derailleur as well. I understand that it is a
> lower end item and the Deore LX is probably of higher quality, but if
> there are other issues I'd love to hear them.

The only thing the Tiagra has going for it over the LX is that it is a
wee bit lighter.

Sheldon "Don't Bother" Brown
| Happy Moon Landing Day to all! None of us should |
| be working today--we should all be celebrating the |
| most important event of the last millennium! |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 21st 04, 02:52 PM
mleduc-<< wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
cassette. >><BR><BR>

just leave the longer cage rear der on. To make any future use of the big
cassette possible w/o changing the rear der. they will work the same but the LX
gives you more flexibility.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo
July 21st 04, 02:52 PM
mleduc-<< wider tires and changed from a 12-25 cassette
to a 12-32. In doing that I also neccesarily changed the derailleur
from the stock "Tiagra" to a Deore LX. When I get back from this trip
my intention is to go back to the "racing" wheels and the tighter
cassette. >><BR><BR>

just leave the longer cage rear der on. To make any future use of the big
cassette possible w/o changing the rear der. they will work the same but the LX
gives you more flexibility.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.