PDA

View Full Version : What the hell????

Steve O
June 28th 11, 11:38 PM
Listen guys, I hope you don't mind me saying this.
Well actually, if you do, that's tough, because I'm going to say it
anyway...

...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS NEWSGROUP?????

Let me explain... I'm 49 years old , and have recently discovered the
joys of mountain biking.
It's like a second childhood- I bought myself a lovely little new hard
tail, and right at the back of my house there's a whole load of
interesting trails.
I had one of the most pleasant experiences of my life last week simply
cycling along the Trans-Pennine Trail for a whole day.
I've pretty much got the bug now, and have spent a good few hours
upgrading and maintaining my bike.

So, I'm looking around the internet for more info on this wonderful
activity and decide to find a newwsgroup to learn someting about the
sport and maybe get in touch with a few other like- minded people.

But browsing through the history of back posts in this NG, what do I see?

A whole load of bitching and **** all about this wonderful new activity
I've discovered for myself.
I mean, have you guys lost the way or something?
All I can see from here are trolling articles about ongoing court
cases,biker fatalities, off topic anti- semitism and hikers bitching
about cyclists assaulting them with deadly weapons.

I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?

Thanks for listening.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
June 28th 11, 11:59 PM
On 6/28/2011 5:38 PM, Steve O Who? wrote:
> Listen guys, I hope you don't mind me saying this.

This is an non-moderated newsgroup - you are free to *write* what you
want within the limits of libel laws and/or political repression of free
speech at your location.

> Well actually, if you do, that's tough, because I'm going to say it
> anyway...

If people went away because someone told them off, Usenet would be even
less populated than it is now.

> ..WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS NEWSGROUP?????

Welcome to Usenet.

> Let me explain... I'm 49 years old , and have recently discovered the
> joys of mountain biking.
> It's like a second childhood- I bought myself a lovely little new hard
> tail, and right at the back of my house there's a whole load of
> interesting trails.
> I had one of the most pleasant experiences of my life last week simply
> cycling along the Trans-Pennine Trail for a whole day.
> I've pretty much got the bug now, and have spent a good few hours
> upgrading and maintaining my bike.
>
> So, I'm looking around the internet for more info on this wonderful
> activity and decide to find a newwsgroup to learn someting about the
> sport and maybe get in touch with a few other like- minded people.
>
> But browsing through the history of back posts in this NG, what do I see?
>
> A whole load of bitching and **** all about this wonderful new activity
> I've discovered for myself.
> I mean, have you guys lost the way or something?

Yes.

> All I can see from here are trolling articles about ongoing court
> cases,

Mikey V. had it coming.

biker fatalities,

Mikey V's obsession.

off topic anti- semitism

Mr. Ed does *not* like Semitic Arabs (or other Muslims for that matter).

and hikers bitching
> about cyclists assaulting them with deadly weapons.

No, the other way around.

> I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
> could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
> towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
> which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?

Not here anymore.

Most of the former regulars went here to escape Vandespamâ„¢:
<http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/index.php?act=idx>.

> Thanks for listening.

Reading, actually.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Steve O
June 29th 11, 12:16 AM
On 28/06/2011 23:59, Tºm Shermªn °_° > wrote:
> On 6/28/2011 5:38 PM, Steve O Who? wrote:
>> Listen guys, I hope you don't mind me saying this.
>
> This is an non-moderated newsgroup - you are free to *write* what you
> want within the limits of libel laws and/or political repression of free
> speech at your location.
>
>> Well actually, if you do, that's tough, because I'm going to say it
>> anyway...
>
> If people went away because someone told them off, Usenet would be even
> less populated than it is now.
>>
>> ..WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS NEWSGROUP?????
>
> Welcome to Usenet.
>>
>> Let me explain... I'm 49 years old , and have recently discovered the
>> joys of mountain biking.
>> It's like a second childhood- I bought myself a lovely little new hard
>> tail, and right at the back of my house there's a whole load of
>> interesting trails.
>> I had one of the most pleasant experiences of my life last week simply
>> cycling along the Trans-Pennine Trail for a whole day.
>> I've pretty much got the bug now, and have spent a good few hours
>> upgrading and maintaining my bike.
>>
>> So, I'm looking around the internet for more info on this wonderful
>> activity and decide to find a newwsgroup to learn someting about the
>> sport and maybe get in touch with a few other like- minded people.
>>
>> But browsing through the history of back posts in this NG, what do I see?
>>
>> A whole load of bitching and **** all about this wonderful new activity
>> I've discovered for myself.
>> I mean, have you guys lost the way or something?
>
> Yes.
>
>> All I can see from here are trolling articles about ongoing court
>> cases,
>
> Mikey V. had it coming.
>
> biker fatalities,
>
> Mikey V's obsession.
>
> off topic anti- semitism
>
> Mr. Ed does *not* like Semitic Arabs (or other Muslims for that matter).
>
> and hikers bitching
>> about cyclists assaulting them with deadly weapons.
>
> No, the other way around.
>>
>> I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
>> could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
>> towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
>> which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?
>
> Not here anymore.
>
> Most of the former regulars went here to escape Vandespamâ„¢:
> <http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/index.php?act=idx>.
>>
>> Thanks for listening.
>
> Reading, actually.

Thanks for the reference- I'll head over there.
I thought this NG kind of had an abandoned look about it- almost as if
all of the original posters interested in mountain biking had given up. ;-(

SMS
June 29th 11, 02:55 AM
On 6/28/2011 3:38 PM, Steve O wrote:

> I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
> could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
> towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
> which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?

This group can be moderately useful if you set up your filters properly.

One thing I try to do is to not only filter out the obvious problem
posters, but those that respond to them as well. This avoids the
temptation to prolong those ridiculous threads.

Remember, these people thrive on the attention they receive by being
obnoxious. Don't give it to them.

Trevor[_7_]
June 29th 11, 06:18 PM
I've had similar thoughts. I'm about 10 years younger than you, but
bought my first hardtail one year ago this week, and discovered that not
only is the Bonneville Shoreline Trail within a couple of blocks, but
there is a mountain bike park a few miles away, as well as a whole
canyon full of trails just up the road from me.

Having used newsgroups for my other hobbies over the last 15 years or
so, I came here to discover that Usenet has mostly died. In fact, I
tried to keep rec.bicycles.off-road from being deleted last year, in
hopes of resurrecting it and having a place where civil conversations
could take place, but I failed to arouse any interest. Apparently the
world has moved on to web-based forums. :(

- Trevor

On 6/28/2011 4:38 PM, Steve O wrote:
> Listen guys, I hope you don't mind me saying this.
> Well actually, if you do, that's tough, because I'm going to say it
> anyway...
>
> ..WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS NEWSGROUP?????
>
> Let me explain... I'm 49 years old , and have recently discovered the
> joys of mountain biking.
> It's like a second childhood- I bought myself a lovely little new hard
> tail, and right at the back of my house there's a whole load of
> interesting trails.
> I had one of the most pleasant experiences of my life last week simply
> cycling along the Trans-Pennine Trail for a whole day.
> I've pretty much got the bug now, and have spent a good few hours
> upgrading and maintaining my bike.
>
> So, I'm looking around the internet for more info on this wonderful
> activity and decide to find a newwsgroup to learn someting about the
> sport and maybe get in touch with a few other like- minded people.
>
> But browsing through the history of back posts in this NG, what do I see?
>
> A whole load of bitching and **** all about this wonderful new activity
> I've discovered for myself.
> I mean, have you guys lost the way or something?
> All I can see from here are trolling articles about ongoing court
> cases,biker fatalities, off topic anti- semitism and hikers bitching
> about cyclists assaulting them with deadly weapons.
>
> I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
> could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
> towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
> which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?
>
> Thanks for listening.

Steve O
June 30th 11, 12:26 AM
On 29/06/2011 02:55, SMS wrote:
> On 6/28/2011 3:38 PM, Steve O wrote:
>
>> I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
>> could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
>> towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
>> which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?
>
> This group can be moderately useful if you set up your filters properly.
>
> One thing I try to do is to not only filter out the obvious problem
> posters, but those that respond to them as well. This avoids the
> temptation to prolong those ridiculous threads.
>
> Remember, these people thrive on the attention they receive by being
> obnoxious. Don't give it to them.

Thanks , but I'm left wondering why a newsgroup which really all should
be about is the simple pleasure of getting out on a bike, has somehow
turned into a three ring bear baiting circus.
Guys, come on back!
Kick the idiots into the killfile and let's talk MOUNTAIN BIKE!

**** - I'm reclaiming this newsgroup, me.
;-)

Steve O
June 30th 11, 12:40 AM
On 29/06/2011 18:18, Trevor wrote:
> I've had similar thoughts. I'm about 10 years younger than you, but
> bought my first hardtail one year ago this week, and discovered that not
> only is the Bonneville Shoreline Trail within a couple of blocks, but
> there is a mountain bike park a few miles away, as well as a whole
> canyon full of trails just up the road from me.
>
> Having used newsgroups for my other hobbies over the last 15 years or
> so, I came here to discover that Usenet has mostly died. In fact, I
> tried to keep rec.bicycles.off-road from being deleted last year, in
> hopes of resurrecting it and having a place where civil conversations
> could take place, but I failed to arouse any interest. Apparently the
> world has moved on to web-based forums. :(
>
> - Trevor

No Trevor- usenet is still alive and kicking,so let's see if we can get
it going again here.
So,anyway,what are you riding?
I've just bought a level entry Trek 3900 D.
Nice little hardtail with disc brakes.
Heh- disc brakes... until a couple of months ago I didn't even know they
existed on a bike.
Having been away from bikes for years- one thing I've noticed- the
engineering on bikes these days is amazing.
As a kid, I used to ride through makeshift trails in the local park on
an old Raleigh Chopper, what I'm doing now with my little Trek is the
same thing but taken to extremes.
The performance of these bikes is really cool.
It has opened up a world of possibilities for me.
I have suddenly found work colleagues who are into bikes and we're
planning a great ride up in the Lake District.
Wanna hear something funny?
I've been riding for the last three weeks with my saddle at the wrong
angle- I was sitting at home with sore ******** for almost a month.
Now, it's all set up right, and... ahhh... so much more comfortable!

Tºm Shermªn °_°
June 30th 11, 02:04 AM
On 6/29/2011 6:40 PM, Steve O wrote:
> On 29/06/2011 18:18, Trevor wrote:
>> I've had similar thoughts. I'm about 10 years younger than you, but
>> bought my first hardtail one year ago this week, and discovered that not
>> only is the Bonneville Shoreline Trail within a couple of blocks, but
>> there is a mountain bike park a few miles away, as well as a whole
>> canyon full of trails just up the road from me.
>>
>> Having used newsgroups for my other hobbies over the last 15 years or
>> so, I came here to discover that Usenet has mostly died. In fact, I
>> tried to keep rec.bicycles.off-road from being deleted last year, in
>> hopes of resurrecting it and having a place where civil conversations
>> could take place, but I failed to arouse any interest. Apparently the
>> world has moved on to web-based forums. :(
>>
>> - Trevor
>
> No Trevor- usenet is still alive and kicking,so let's see if we can get
> it going again here.
> So,anyway,what are you riding?
> I've just bought a level entry Trek 3900 D.
> Nice little hardtail with disc brakes.
> Heh- disc brakes... until a couple of months ago I didn't even know they
> existed on a bike.

Mass production has brought the prices within reason, especially for
cable operated (as opposed to hydraulic) disc brakes.

Main benefit of disc brakes is the braking surface stays cleaner, and
rim sidewalls do not wear out from abrasion.

> Having been away from bikes for years- one thing I've noticed- the
> engineering on bikes these days is amazing.

As long as you stay away from the X-Mart junk. The best value for the
money tends to be one or two models up from the bottom of the "bike
store quality" range in a manufacturer's lineup.

> As a kid, I used to ride through makeshift trails in the local park on
> an old Raleigh Chopper, what I'm doing now with my little Trek is the
> same thing but taken to extremes.
> The performance of these bikes is really cool.
> It has opened up a world of possibilities for me.
> I have suddenly found work colleagues who are into bikes and we're
> planning a great ride up in the Lake District.

You can form an unofficial riding group with an email list.

Volunteering to maintenance on local trails will buy you a lot of good
will from park management/local government. As will common sense and
courtesy around other trail users, and *not* tearing things up.

Mr. White has good advice: <http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm>.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Trevor[_7_]
July 1st 11, 12:14 AM
On 6/29/2011 5:40 PM, Steve O wrote:

> No Trevor- usenet is still alive and kicking,so let's see if we can get
> it going again here.

That's what I thought until I was very discouraged on discovering that
there is a group of people actively shutting down any and all non-alt
groups that they deem to be dead. (See news.announce.newsgroups and
news.groups.proposals, which are currently being used for that purpose.)

> So,anyway,what are you riding?
> I've just bought a level entry Trek 3900 D.
> Nice little hardtail with disc brakes.

I got a Giant XTC1. It was on sale due to being a previous year model,
and so I figured I'd be getting the most bike I could for the money.

> Heh- disc brakes... until a couple of months ago I didn't even know they
> existed on a bike.

I hear you. The first bike store I walked into only confused me. Way too
many choices, and I had no idea what I wanted. I did a bunch of research
and finally decided I wanted disc brakes and lock-out suspension,
figuring if I didn't get them I'd end up wishing I had. I am a little
worried about the future maintenance costs on hydraulic disc brakes, though.

> Having been away from bikes for years- one thing I've noticed- the
> engineering on bikes these days is amazing.

Yeah, my old bike was from nearly 20 years ago. Things have come a very
long way. That was when front suspension (which my bike didn't have) was
still a novelty.

> As a kid, I used to ride through makeshift trails in the local park on
> an old Raleigh Chopper, what I'm doing now with my little Trek is the
> same thing but taken to extremes.

We used to have a big empty field behind my neighborhood that I rode
around in as a kid on a homemade BMX bike (little girls bike with BMX
tires, handlebars, and seat added).

> The performance of these bikes is really cool.
> It has opened up a world of possibilities for me.
> I have suddenly found work colleagues who are into bikes and we're
> planning a great ride up in the Lake District.

I've found that a whole bunch of guys in my neighborhood have mountain
bikes. I guess it makes sense, because we live in an ideal place for it.
But I've only ridden solo (except for a couple rides with my kids) so
far while I'm still getting the hang of it.

> Wanna hear something funny?
> I've been riding for the last three weeks with my saddle at the wrong
> angle- I was sitting at home with sore ******** for almost a month.
> Now, it's all set up right, and... ahhh... so much more comfortable!

It took me a while to get used to my seat (hopefully it's at the right
angle!), but the worst thing for me was my hands. I got some gloves, and
that helped. I also found that wearing the padded short liners is
helpful. Oh, and wearing shirts that are actually made to be sweated in,
rather than my old cotton t-shirts. :)

- Trevor

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 1st 11, 02:45 AM
On Jun 28, 4:16*pm, Steve O > wrote:
> On 28/06/2011 23:59, Tºm Shermªn °_° > wrote:
>

> > On 6/28/2011 5:38 PM, Steve O Who? wrote:
> >> Listen guys, I hope you don't mind me saying this.
>
> > This is an non-moderated newsgroup - you are free to *write* what you
> > want within the limits of libel laws and/or political repression of free
> > speech at your location.
>
> >> Well actually, if you do, that's tough, because I'm going to say it
> >> anyway...
>
> > If people went away because someone told them off, Usenet would be even
> > less populated than it is now.
>
> >> ..WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS NEWSGROUP?????
>
> > Welcome to Usenet.
>
> >> Let me explain... I'm 49 years old , and have recently discovered the
> >> joys of mountain biking.
> >> It's like a second childhood- I bought myself a lovely little new hard
> >> tail, and right at the back of my house there's a whole load of
> >> interesting trails.
> >> I had one of the most pleasant experiences of my life last week simply
> >> cycling along the Trans-Pennine Trail for a whole day.
> >> I've pretty much got the bug now, and have spent a good few hours
> >> upgrading and maintaining my bike.
>
> >> So, I'm looking around the internet for more info on this wonderful
> >> activity and decide to find a newwsgroup to learn someting about the
> >> sport and maybe get in touch with a few other like- minded people.
>
> >> But browsing through the history of back posts in this NG, what do I see?
>
> >> A whole load of bitching and **** all about this wonderful new activity
> >> I've discovered for myself.
> >> I mean, have you guys lost the way or something?
>
> > Yes.
>
> >> All I can see from here are trolling articles about ongoing court
> >> cases,
>
> > Mikey V. had it coming.
>
> > biker fatalities,
>
> > Mikey V's obsession.
>
> > off topic anti- semitism
>
> > Mr. Ed does *not* like Semitic Arabs (or other Muslims for that matter)..
>
> > and hikers bitching
> >> about cyclists assaulting them with deadly weapons.
>
> > No, the other way around.
>
> >> I mean, maybe I need to set my killfile filter right or something, but
> >> could someone please restore my faith in the human race and point me
> >> towards a decent place where I can find something about an activity
> >> which I have recently grown to love and enjoy immensely?
>
> > Not here anymore.
>
> > Most of the former regulars went here to escape Vandespam™:
> > <http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/index.php?act=idx>.
>
> >> Thanks for listening.
>
> > Reading, actually.
>
> Thanks for the reference- I'll head over there.
> I thought this NG kind of had an abandoned look about it- almost as if
> all of the original posters interested in mountain biking had given up. ;-(- Hide quoted text -

Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death & ended
up leaving that one, too.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 1st 11, 03:09 AM
On 6/30/2011 6:14 PM, Trevor wrote:
> [...]
> It took me a while to get used to my seat (hopefully it's at the right
> angle!), but the worst thing for me was my hands. I got some gloves, and
> that helped. I also found that wearing the padded short liners is
> helpful. Oh, and wearing shirts that are actually made to be sweated in,
> rather than my old cotton t-shirts. :)

Bar end extensions can help, since they put pressure on your hands
differently than the flat bar grips. However, they should only be used
when you will not need to brake suddenly, such as in climbing steep
hills or on non-challenging flat sections.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
July 1st 11, 03:42 PM
"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
> Mike Vandeman >
[...]

>>Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
>>destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
>>censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death & ended
>>up leaving that one, too.
>
> Maybe they had ethical concerns about consorting with a criminal.

The only criminals I know about are Assholes who ride their bikes on hiking
trails. I say ****'em!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 1st 11, 06:02 PM
"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
> "Edward Dolan" > considered Fri, 1 Jul 2011 09:42:21
> -0500 the perfect time to write:
>
>>"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
>>> Mike Vandeman >
>>[...]
>>>
>>> Maybe they had ethical concerns about consorting with a criminal.
>>
>>The only criminals I know about are Assholes who ride their bikes on
>>hiking
>>trails. I say ****'em!
>
> Isn't that a misdemeanour at most?
> Unlike assault.

Mountain bikers are committing assault on hikers whenever they are riding
their bikes on a hiking trail. I say double ****'em!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 1st 11, 06:22 PM
On Jun 29, 10:18*am, Trevor > wrote:
> I've had similar thoughts. I'm about 10 years younger than you, but
> bought my first hardtail one year ago this week, and discovered that not
> only is the Bonneville Shoreline Trail within a couple of blocks, but
> there is a mountain bike park a few miles away, as well as a whole
> canyon full of trails just up the road from me.
>
> Having used newsgroups for my other hobbies over the last 15 years or
> so, I came here to discover that Usenet has mostly died. In fact, I
> tried to keep rec.bicycles.off-road from being deleted last year, in
> hopes of resurrecting it and having a place where civil conversations
> could take place, but I failed to arouse any interest. Apparently the
> world has moved on to web-based forums. :(

Because mountain bikers HATE to have people telling the truth about
their selfish, destructive, disgusting sport. They don't want to hear
it.

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 1st 11, 10:55 PM
On Jul 1, 5:47*am, Phil W Lee > wrote:
> Mike Vandeman > considered Thu, 30 Jun 2011
> 18:45:18 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

> >> Thanks for the reference- I'll head over there.
> >> I thought this NG kind of had an abandoned look about it- almost as if
> >> all of the original posters interested in mountain biking had given up.. ;-(- Hide quoted text -

> >Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
> >destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
> >censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death & ended
> >up leaving that one, too.
>
> Maybe they had ethical concerns about consorting with a criminal.- Hide quoted text -

1. The only criminals are the mountain bikers, who have been scofflaws
from the beginning.
2. Mountain bikers are constitutionally incapable of having ethical
concerns, which is another definition of a criminal.

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 1st 11, 10:57 PM
On Jul 1, 8:42*am, Phil W Lee > wrote:
> "Edward Dolan" > considered Fri, 1 Jul 2011 09:42:21
> -0500 the perfect time to write:
>
> >"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
> >> Mike Vandeman >
> >[...]
>
> >> Maybe they had ethical concerns about consorting with a criminal.
>
> >The only criminals I know about are Assholes who ride their bikes on hiking
> >trails. I say ****'em!
>
> Isn't that a misdemeanour at most?
> Unlike assault.

1. WHAT assault?
2. A bike is a deadly weapon, so assault by bicycle can be a felony.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 2nd 11, 04:03 AM
On 7/1/2011 9:38 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
> Mike > considered Fri, 1 Jul 2011
> 14:55:07 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
>
> <some crap>
>
> Trying to get re-arrested are you?

Setting up the insanity defense.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
July 2nd 11, 11:52 AM
"Tºm Shermªn °_°" "> wrote in message
> On 7/1/2011 9:38 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
>> Mike > considered Fri, 1 Jul 2011
>> 14:55:07 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
>>
>> <some crap>
>>
>> Trying to get re-arrested are you?
>
> Setting up the insanity defense.

When Tom Sherman falls prey to our justice system he can always plead that
he is a crackpot and Ed Dolan the Great will back him up on that. He is a
conspiracy nut (an anti-Zionist loon) and that is most assuredly a form of
insanity. He also votes for Nader which is about as crazy as you can get!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 3rd 11, 07:27 AM
On Jul 1, 7:38*pm, Phil W Lee > wrote:
> Mike Vandeman > considered Fri, 1 Jul 2011
> 14:55:07 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
>
> <some crap>
>
> Trying to get re-arrested are you?

Just telling the truth -- something you wouldn't understand.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 3rd 11, 08:25 PM
On 7/2/2011 5:52 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "T�m Sherm�n "> wrote in message
>> On 7/1/2011 9:38 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
>>> Mike > considered Fri, 1 Jul 2011
>>> 14:55:07 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
>>>
>>> <some crap>
>>>
>>> Trying to get re-arrested are you?
>>
>> Setting up the insanity defense.
>
> When Tom Sherman falls prey to our justice system he can always plead that
> he is a crackpot and Ed Dolan the Great will back him up on that. He is a
> conspiracy nut (an anti-Zionist loon) and that is most assuredly a form of
> insanity. He also votes for Nader which is about as crazy as you can get!

Good to see that Ed is wrong, as usual. :)

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
July 3rd 11, 08:39 PM
"Tºm Shermªn °_°" "> wrote in message
> On 7/2/2011 5:52 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
>> When Tom Sherman falls prey to our justice system he can always plead
>> that
>> he is a crackpot and Ed Dolan the Great will back him up on that. He is a
>> conspiracy nut (an anti-Zionist loon) and that is most assuredly a form
>> of
>> insanity. He also votes for Nader which is about as crazy as you can get!
>>

> Good to see that Ed is wrong, as usual. :)

I keep a little black book on you recording every glint of personal
information that you let slip on Usenet. It would behoove you to be most
careful what you divulge about yourself as I will use it against you
wherever appropriate. I did not get to be a champion Ass Kicker by ignoring
details.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 3rd 11, 10:09 PM
On 7/3/2011 2:39 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "T�m Sherm�n "> wrote in message
>> On 7/2/2011 5:52 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> [...]
>>> When Tom Sherman falls prey to our justice system he can always plead
>>> that
>>> he is a crackpot and Ed Dolan the Great will back him up on that. He is a
>>> conspiracy nut (an anti-Zionist loon) and that is most assuredly a form
>>> of
>>> insanity. He also votes for Nader which is about as crazy as you can get!
>>>

>> Good to see that Ed is wrong, as usual. :)
>
> I keep a little black book on you recording every glint of personal
> information that you let slip on Usenet. It would behoove you to be most
> careful what you divulge about yourself as I will use it against you
> wherever appropriate. I did not get to be a champion Ass Kicker by ignoring
> details.

Really Ed? You cannot even keep your facts straight. :)

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
July 4th 11, 02:30 AM
"Tºm Shermªn °_°" "> wrote in message
> On 7/3/2011 2:39 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "T?m Sherm?n "> wrote in
>> message
>>> On 7/2/2011 5:52 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Good to see that Ed is wrong, as usual. :)
>>
>> I keep a little black book on you recording every glint of personal
>> information that you let slip on Usenet. It would behoove you to be most
>> careful what you divulge about yourself as I will use it against you
>> wherever appropriate. I did not get to be a champion Ass Kicker by
>> ignoring
>> details.
>>
> Really Ed? You cannot even keep your facts straight. :)

Your dumb ass needs kicking so badly that it does not matter about facts.
All that matters is general principals. And the chief general principal is
that you are a nut and a screwball. Hence, the need to have your dumb ass
kicked by yours truly. No need to thank me however. I do it out of the
kindness of my heart and the largeness of my soul. We Great Saints are like
that!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Steve O
July 4th 11, 02:21 PM
On 01/07/2011 02:45, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Jun 28, 4:16 pm, Steve > wrote:

>>> This is an non-moderated newsgroup - you are free to *write* what you
>>> want within the limits of libel laws and/or political repression of free
>>> speech at your location.

>>> If people went away because someone told them off, Usenet would be even
>>> less populated than it is now.

>>> Welcome to Usenet.

>>> Yes.

>>> Mikey V. had it coming.
>>
>>> biker fatalities,
>>
>>> Mikey V's obsession.
>>
>>> off topic anti- semitism
>>
>>> Mr. Ed does *not* like Semitic Arabs (or other Muslims for that matter).
>>
>>> and hikers bitching
>>
>>> No, the other way around.

>>> Not here anymore.
>>
>>> Most of the former regulars went here to escape Vandespam™:
>>> <http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/index.php?act=idx>.

>>> Reading, actually.
>>
>> Thanks for the reference- I'll head over there.
>> I thought this NG kind of had an abandoned look about it- almost as if
>> all of the original posters interested in mountain biking had given up. ;-(- Hide quoted text -

> Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
> destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
> censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death& ended
> up leaving that one, too.

Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
and I do like to keep myself informed)

What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
destructive and disgusting?
So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
users alike.

Opus[_2_]
July 4th 11, 04:06 PM
On Jul 4, 8:21*am, Steve O > wrote:
>snipity, snip, snip<
> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>
> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
> destructive and disgusting?
> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
> users alike.

NOOOOO! Don't INVITE Mikey to waste bandwidth. Or Ed either for that
matter. Actually we have an abundance of trolls around here, who have
eaten all the billy goats, or most of them, enough to bring civil
discourse on this channel to a standstill.

Edward Dolan
July 4th 11, 05:36 PM
"Steve O" > wrote in message
> On 01/07/2011 02:45, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]
>> Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
>> destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
>> censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death& ended
>> up leaving that one, too.
>

> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>
> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
> destructive and disgusting?
> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
> users alike.

Here is someone who was born yesterday!

I do not have the patience to bother to educate you, but maybe Mr. Michael
Vandeman does. He is a world class recognized expert on the subject. Suffice
it to say, from my humble point of view, enjoy your mountain bike to your
heart's content, but do not do it on hiking trails. There are thousands of
miles of gravel and dirt roads here in Minnesota and Iowa that are ideal for
bikes with fat knobby tires. And there is never any traffic on such roads
either.

Trails in natural areas are for hiking only. Even Tom Sherman, one of the
dumbest of all Asses, will tell you that much.

Go my son and sin no more! Now say 100 Our Fathers and 1000 Hail Marys for
your past transgressions.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 4th 11, 05:45 PM
"Opus" > wrote in message
On Jul 4, 8:21 am, Steve O > wrote:
>snipity, snip, snip<
> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>
> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
> destructive and disgusting?
> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
> users alike.

>> NOOOOO! Don't INVITE Mikey to waste bandwidth. Or Ed either for that
matter. Actually we have an abundance of trolls around here, who have
eaten all the billy goats, or most of them, enough to bring civil
discourse on this channel to a standstill.

Not to worry Opus, my foot is all worn out from kicking all the dumb asses
on these newsgroups. I will just stick to the present miscreants without
taking on any new ones.

Tom Sherman for instance should have a sore ass by now, but his dumb ass
must be thicker than my poor foot. I am thinking about suing him for making
me a cripple. My right foot is starting to hurt me so much from kicking his
dumb ass that I am starting to hobble.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 4th 11, 05:50 PM
On Jul 4, 6:21*am, Steve O > wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 02:45, Mike Vandeman wrote:

> >> Thanks for the reference- I'll head over there.
> >> I thought this NG kind of had an abandoned look about it- almost as if
> >> all of the original posters interested in mountain biking had given up.. ;-(- Hide quoted text -

> > Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
> > destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
> > censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death& *ended
> > up leaving that one, too.
>
> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>
> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,

Mountain biking drives wildlife & other trail users off the trails and
out of the parks, because it's no fun putting yourself in danger when
you only want to enjoy nature.

> destructive

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.htm

and disgusting?

Mountain bikers ALWAYS break the law, either riuding illegally or
building illegal trails.

> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
> users alike.

That's like saying "I've only met friendly, chatty bank robbers, so
bank robbing must be okay. Idiot.

Steve O
July 4th 11, 08:37 PM
On 04/07/2011 16:06, Opus wrote:
> On Jul 4, 8:21 am, Steve > wrote:
>> snipity, snip, snip<
>> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
>> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
>> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>>
>> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
>> destructive and disgusting?
>> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
>> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
>> users alike.
>
> NOOOOO! Don't INVITE Mikey to waste bandwidth. Or Ed either for that
> matter. Actually we have an abundance of trolls around here, who have
> eaten all the billy goats, or most of them, enough to bring civil
> discourse on this channel to a standstill.

It's a shame.
I've really caught the bug for mountain biking and it would be nice to
have somewhere to hang out and find out more about it.

Steve O
July 4th 11, 08:41 PM
On 04/07/2011 17:36, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Steve > wrote in message
>> On 01/07/2011 02:45, Mike Vandeman wrote:
> [...]
>>> Mountain bikers don't like to hear the truth about their selfish,
>>> destructive, disgusting sport. That's why they left. They tried
>>> censoring rec.bicycles.off-road, but bored themselves to death& ended
>>> up leaving that one, too.
>>

>> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
>> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
>> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>>
>> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
>> destructive and disgusting?
>> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
>> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
>> users alike.
>
> Here is someone who was born yesterday!

Nope, 49 years ago,actually!

> I do not have the patience to bother to educate you, but maybe Mr. Michael
> Vandeman does. He is a world class recognized expert on the subject. Suffice
> it to say, from my humble point of view, enjoy your mountain bike to your
> heart's content, but do not do it on hiking trails. There are thousands of
> miles of gravel and dirt roads here in Minnesota and Iowa that are ideal for
> bikes with fat knobby tires. And there is never any traffic on such roads
> either.
>
> Trails in natural areas are for hiking only. Even Tom Sherman, one of the
> dumbest of all Asses, will tell you that much.

You musn't have been paying much attention to my earlier post, where I
explained that I use the Trans- Pennine Trail nearby, which is
specifically intended for bicycles and is part of the National Cyle Route.

> Go my son and sin no more! Now say 100 Our Fathers and 1000 Hail Marys for
> your past transgressions.

OMG, you're one of those pervy Catholic Priests, aren't you?

Steve O
July 4th 11, 08:46 PM

> Mountain bikers ALWAYS break the law, either riuding illegally or
> building illegal trails.
>
>> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
>> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
>> users alike.
>
> That's like saying "I've only met friendly, chatty bank robbers, so
> bank robbing must be okay. Idiot.

Who the **** made you Lord of All Nature?
Who says that only YOU get to say who uses trails and how they use them?
Ah **** - look at that now, I've only been here five minutes and I've
ended up doing what I was complaining about to start with.
Tell you what, I'll save myself a lot of bother and drop you and that
other donkey Ed into the killfile so I can get on with talking to the
decent people around here.
Buh Bye!!!

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 4th 11, 11:35 PM
On Jul 4, 12:46*pm, Steve O > wrote:
> > Mountain bikers ALWAYS break the law, either riuding illegally or
> > building illegal trails.
>
> >> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
> >> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
> >> users alike.
>
> > That's like saying "I've only met friendly, chatty bank robbers, so
> > bank robbing must be okay. Idiot.
>
> Who the **** made you Lord of All Nature?
> Who says that only YOU get to say who uses trails and how they use them?

It's called the "First Amendment". Check it out. The community can ban
bikes from any trail, per federal court: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb10.
And it HAS. But mountain bikers (mountain breakers) don't recognize
any authority except themselves. No surprize there.

> Ah **** - look at that now, I've only been here five minutes and I've
> ended up doing what I was complaining about to start with.
> Tell you what, I'll save myself a lot of bother and drop you and that
> other donkey Ed into the killfile so I can get on with talking to the
> decent people around here.
> Buh Bye!!!

Good riddance. Ed and I are the only decent (honest) people here.

Edward Dolan
July 5th 11, 12:20 AM
"Steve O" > wrote in message
> On 04/07/2011 17:36, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
>> Go my son and sin no more! Now say 100 Our Fathers and 1000 Hail Marys
>> for
>> your past transgressions.
>
> OMG, you're one of those pervy Catholic Priests, aren't you?

It is clear from the above that the penance I prescribed for you is not
nearly enough. So instead, say 1000 Our Fathers and 10,000 Hail Marys.

The only pervs I know about are mountain bikers who ride their bikes on
hiking trails.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 5th 11, 12:37 AM
"Steve O" > wrote in message
[...]
> Who the **** made you Lord of All Nature?
> Who says that only YOU get to say who uses trails and how they use them?
> Ah **** - look at that now, I've only been here five minutes and I've
> ended up doing what I was complaining about to start with.
> Tell you what, I'll save myself a lot of bother and drop you and that
> other donkey Ed into the killfile so I can get on with talking to the
> decent people around here.
> Buh Bye!!!

**** you too Asshole! Unlike you, who has only been here for five minutes, I
have been here for well over five years and can instantly recognize an
Asshole when I see one.

I suggest you only talk to yourself since anyone with half a brain will not
bother with an idiot like you. We do not have time for juveniles who were
obviously born yesterday. Now get lost and do not bother the honorable
members of these noble newsgroups any further.

However, it is OK if you want to bother Tom Sherman since he is an Asshole
like you. He will appreciate you for what you are - a fellow Asshole!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 5th 11, 05:20 PM
"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
[...]
> Wow, an honest violent criminal thug.
> Who did you threaten, and with what, to get the posting made, since
> you clearly have too little intelligence to make it yourself.

No one knows what the hell you are blathering about. Do you not speak
English in the UK?

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 6th 11, 04:37 AM
"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
> "Edward Dolan" >
[...]
>>No one knows what the hell you are blathering about. Do you not speak
>>English in the UK?
>
> We speak English with correct pronunciation as well as write it with
> correct spelling.
> I'm not really all that bothered what others do to their language, if
> only they would stop describing it as English.

I am not impressed with how the English use their language. I suggest you
get with American English since the sun set on your empire some time ago.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 6th 11, 06:16 PM
"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
> "Edward Dolan" >
[...]

>>I am not impressed with how the English use their language. I suggest you
>>get with American English since the sun set on your empire some time ago.
>
> Look up "British Overseas Territory" and work out the times of sunrise
> and sunset. You'll find you are incorrect, although that's hardly
> surprising or unusual.
> Related nations make this far larger - if you look up "Commonwealth
> Realm" you will find that our monarch is head of state over what is
> still a considerable portion of the world - 18.8 million sq km (the
> total land area or the world is 148,940,000 sq km, so that's 12.6% of
> the world).
> If you take the entire Commonwealth of Nations (of which our monarch
> is head), it comprises fifty-four of the world's countries, across all
> six inhabited continents. The members have a combined population of
> 2.1 billion people, almost a third of the world population. The land
> area is about 31,5 million sq km, or about 21% of the total world land
> area.

Nope, Commonwealth status does not count. It is either rule or be
inconsequential. The loss of India meant the end of your empire. That is
what comes of engaging in European Civil Wars (WWI and WWII). Was Poland
worth it? Or ****ing France?

> It demonstrates considerable ignorance on your part that you make this
> assertion just as our future King is touring another part of his
> future realm just to your north.
> A part that is actually larger than the entire USA.

You mean Canada? Only Ontario feels any loyalty to its English heritage. The
rest of Canada would be more at home as part of the US although only ****ing
France would ever want to claim Quebec.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 7th 11, 07:24 AM
On 7/4/2011 2:41 PM, Steve O wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 17:36, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Steve > wrote in message
>>> On 01/07/2011 02:45, Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> [...]
>>>

>>> Thanks for identifying yourself as the troll around here.
>>> So anyway, I'll bite.(only because I haven't heard this viewpoint before
>>> and I do like to keep myself informed)
>>>
>>> What is it about mountain biking which makes you think it is selfish,
>>> destructive and disgusting?
>>> So far, the people I've met on the trails I've been using have been
>>> friendly, chatty and a pleasure to meet, bicycle users and non-bicycle
>>> users alike.
>>
>> Here is someone who was born yesterday!
>>

> Nope, 49 years ago,actually!
>
>> I do not have the patience to bother to educate you, but maybe Mr.
>> Michael
>> Vandeman does. He is a world class recognized expert on the subject.
>> Suffice
>> it to say, from my humble point of view, enjoy your mountain bike to your
>> heart's content, but do not do it on hiking trails. There are
>> thousands of
>> miles of gravel and dirt roads here in Minnesota and Iowa that are
>> ideal for
>> bikes with fat knobby tires. And there is never any traffic on such roads
>> either.
>>
>> Trails in natural areas are for hiking only. Even Tom Sherman, one of the
>> dumbest of all Asses, will tell you that much.
>

> You musn't have been paying much attention to my earlier post, where I
> explained that I use the Trans- Pennine Trail nearby, which is
> specifically intended for bicycles and is part of the National Cyle Route.
>

>> Go my son and sin no more! Now say 100 Our Fathers and 1000 Hail Marys
>> for
>> your past transgressions.
>
> OMG, you're one of those pervy Catholic Priests, aren't you?

Mr. Ed Dolan is Atheist-Catholic and 100% troll.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 7th 11, 07:26 AM

See <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Michael_Vandeman>.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 7th 11, 07:33 AM
On 7/6/2011 11:47 AM, Phil W Lee wrote:
> "Edward > considered Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:37:20
> -0500 the perfect time to write:
>
>> "Phil W > wrote in message
>>> "Edward >
>> [...]
>>>
>>> We speak English with correct pronunciation as well as write it with
>>> correct spelling.
>>> I'm not really all that bothered what others do to their language, if
>>> only they would stop describing it as English.
>>
>> I am not impressed with how the English use their language. I suggest you
>> get with American English since the sun set on your empire some time ago.
>
> Look up "British Overseas Territory" and work out the times of sunrise
> and sunset. You'll find you are incorrect, although that's hardly
> surprising or unusual.
> Related nations make this far larger - if you look up "Commonwealth
> Realm" you will find that our monarch is head of state over what is
> still a considerable portion of the world - 18.8 million sq km (the
> total land area or the world is 148,940,000 sq km, so that's 12.6% of
> the world).
> If you take the entire Commonwealth of Nations (of which our monarch
> is head), it comprises fifty-four of the world's countries, across all
> six inhabited continents. The members have a combined population of
> 2.1 billion people, almost a third of the world population. The land
> area is about 31,5 million sq km, or about 21% of the total world land
> area.
> It demonstrates considerable ignorance on your part that you make this
> assertion just as our future King is touring another part of his
> future realm just to your north.
> A part that is actually larger than the entire USA.

As a lower case republican, I recommend that the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
family members be sent out to earn their livings working the counter of
a fish and chips shop.

Much to like about Britain, but royalty and hereditary aristocracy are
not among them.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 7th 11, 07:37 AM
On 7/6/2011 12:16 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Phil W > wrote in message
>> "Edward >
> [...]
>
>>> I am not impressed with how the English use their language. I suggest you
>>> get with American English since the sun set on your empire some time ago.
>>
>> Look up "British Overseas Territory" and work out the times of sunrise
>> and sunset. You'll find you are incorrect, although that's hardly
>> surprising or unusual.
>> Related nations make this far larger - if you look up "Commonwealth
>> Realm" you will find that our monarch is head of state over what is
>> still a considerable portion of the world - 18.8 million sq km (the
>> total land area or the world is 148,940,000 sq km, so that's 12.6% of
>> the world).
>> If you take the entire Commonwealth of Nations (of which our monarch
>> is head), it comprises fifty-four of the world's countries, across all
>> six inhabited continents. The members have a combined population of
>> 2.1 billion people, almost a third of the world population. The land
>> area is about 31,5 million sq km, or about 21% of the total world land
>> area.
>
> Nope, Commonwealth status does not count. It is either rule or be
> inconsequential. The loss of India meant the end of your empire. That is
> what comes of engaging in European Civil Wars (WWI and WWII). Was Poland
> worth it? Or ****ing France?

Both WW1 and WW2 were started by a small group of international bankers,
who profited handsomely at the expense of 50 million plus deaths and
many times more ruined lives.

Actually, all wars are fought by the proletariat for the benefit of the
aristocracy (titled or defacto).

>> It demonstrates considerable ignorance on your part that you make this
>> assertion just as our future King is touring another part of his
>> future realm just to your north.
>> A part that is actually larger than the entire USA.
>
> You mean Canada? Only Ontario feels any loyalty to its English heritage. The
> rest of Canada would be more at home as part of the US although only ****ing
> France would ever want to claim Quebec.

The French being used to a moderate climate would freeze during the
first winter in Quebec.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 7th 11, 07:39 AM
On 7/4/2011 6:37 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Steve > wrote in message
> [...]
>> Who the **** made you Lord of All Nature?
>> Who says that only YOU get to say who uses trails and how they use them?
>> Ah **** - look at that now, I've only been here five minutes and I've
>> ended up doing what I was complaining about to start with.
>> Tell you what, I'll save myself a lot of bother and drop you and that
>> other donkey Ed into the killfile so I can get on with talking to the
>> decent people around here.
>> Buh Bye!!!
>
> **** you too Asshole! Unlike you, who has only been here for five minutes, I
> have been here for well over five years and can instantly recognize an
> Asshole when I see one.

Gee, I have been "here" for almost a dozen years.

> I suggest you only talk to yourself since anyone with half a brain will not
> bother with an idiot like you. We do not have time for juveniles who were
> obviously born yesterday. Now get lost and do not bother the honorable
> members of these noble newsgroups any further.
>
> However, it is OK if you want to bother Tom Sherman since he is an Asshole
> like you. He will appreciate you for what you are - a fellow Asshole!

Is that anyway to refer to your only friend?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Steve O
July 7th 11, 08:34 AM
On 07/07/2011 07:26, Tºm Shermªn °_° > wrote:
> On 7/4/2011 2:46 PM, Steve O wrote:
>>

>>> Mountain bikers ALWAYS break the law, either riuding illegally or
>>> building illegal trails.

>>> That's like saying "I've only met friendly, chatty bank robbers, so
>>> bank robbing must be okay. Idiot.
>>

>> Who the **** made you Lord of All Nature?
>> Who says that only YOU get to say who uses trails and how they use them?
>> Ah **** - look at that now, I've only been here five minutes and I've
>> ended up doing what I was complaining about to start with.
>> Tell you what, I'll save myself a lot of bother and drop you and that
>> other donkey Ed into the killfile so I can get on with talking to the
>> decent people around here.
>> Buh Bye!!!
>
> See <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Michael_Vandeman>.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'll stick around, but it looks like this loon has more or less
destroyed this newsgroup, which is a pity.
I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
if everyone else did the same.

--
Steve O
a.a.2240 BAAWA

Edward Dolan
July 7th 11, 03:32 PM
"Tºm Shermªn °_°" "> wrote in message
> On 7/4/2011 2:41 PM, Steve O wrote:
>> On 04/07/2011 17:36, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
>>> Go my son and sin no more! Now say 100 Our Fathers and 1000 Hail Marys
>>> for
>>> your past transgressions.
>>
>> OMG, you're one of those pervy Catholic Priests, aren't you?
>
> Mr. Ed Dolan is Atheist-Catholic and 100% troll.

Fallen away Catholics make the best atheists. Protestants are always
"protesting" everything too much and do not make good atheists.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 7th 11, 03:41 PM
"Tºm Shermªn °_°" "> wrote in message
> On 7/6/2011 12:16 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
>> Nope, Commonwealth status does not count. It is either rule or be
>> inconsequential. The loss of India meant the end of your empire. That is
>> what comes of engaging in European Civil Wars (WWI and WWII). Was Poland
>> worth it? Or ****ing France?
>
> Both WW1 and WW2 were started by a small group of international bankers,
> who profited handsomely at the expense of 50 million plus deaths and many
> times more ruined lives.
>
> Actually, all wars are fought by the proletariat for the benefit of the
> aristocracy (titled or defacto).

It makes sense to view the World Wars of the 20th century as European Civil
Wars. Maybe Britain should have stayed out of them altogether. She lost her
empire as a result of entering into those wars. Pat Buchanan wrote an
interesting book suggesting that if Britain (mainly Churchill) had not
wanted to come to the defense of Poland, WWII might have taken a far
different course.
[...]

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 7th 11, 03:46 PM
"Tºm Shermªn °_°" "> wrote in message
> On 7/4/2011 6:37 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
>> However, it is OK if you want to bother Tom Sherman since he is an
>> Asshole
>> like you. He will appreciate you for what you are - a fellow Asshole!
>
> Is that anyway to refer to your only friend?

We hermits do not have friends. At best, we only have causal acquaintances
with whom we can sometimes agree on very limited subjects.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 7th 11, 04:00 PM
"Steve O" > wrote in message
[...]
> Thanks for the heads up.
> I'll stick around, but it looks like this loon has more or less destroyed
> this newsgroup, which is a pity.
> I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where I
> live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
> I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little if
> everyone else did the same.

Here is a know-it-all who was born yesterday who presumes to lecture us
about our newsgroups! Where does such effrontery come from you may well ask?
It comes from ignorance, something that is never in short supply on Usenet.

Kill-filing never works because others will get in on a conversation and
before you know it the kill-filer will be reading about what a jerk he is
from their posts.

I still remember with pleasure the pain I gave to one Cletus Lee of Texas
many years ago on these newsgroups when he thought he had kill-filed me. He
soon had to leave for greener pastures elsewhere.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 7th 11, 07:40 PM
On Jul 6, 11:26*pm, Tºm Shermªn °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 7/4/2011 2:46 PM, Steve O wrote:
>

> >> Mountain bikers ALWAYS break the law, either riuding illegally or
> >> building illegal trails.

> >> That's like saying "I've only met friendly, chatty bank robbers, so
> >> bank robbing must be okay. Idiot.
>
> > Who the **** made you Lord of All Nature?
> > Who says that only YOU get to say who uses trails and how they use them?
> > Ah **** - look at that now, I've only been here five minutes and I've
> > ended up doing what I was complaining about to start with.
> > Tell you what, I'll save myself a lot of bother and drop you and that
> > other donkey Ed into the killfile so I can get on with talking to the
> > decent people around here.
> > Buh Bye!!!
>
> See <http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Michael_Vandeman>.

It's so VERY Tom Sherman to cite lies as evidence. You two deserve
each other.

Joy Beeson
July 8th 11, 04:07 AM
On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:34:53 +0100, Steve O >
wrote:

> I'll stick around, but it looks like this loon has more or less
> destroyed this newsgroup,

Loons can't destroy newsgroups. It's the idiots who stroke and pet
and encourage the loons -- the idiots who magnify the loon's
disturbance beyond all belief -- who destroy newsgroups.

Stolen from somewhere; provenance lost:

Starguard's Guaranteed Fire Extinguisher

A very wise Fidonet system operator once told me her "magic
formula" for putting out flamewars. I have since posted it
to two newsgroups and seen it praised by their
administrators. And it's so SIMPLE....

Take the premise that chronic flamers have an ego problem.
Consider what result they hope to achieve: to get people
"going", to get a reaction. So! What to do? Follow this
very simple plan:

Ignore them.

If you feel you absolutely MUST answer them, answer them
only ONCE, no matter what else they reply with. (I don't
care if you have to bite your lip, kick your desk, get up
and run around the room...sit on your hands. Deny them the
satisfaction!)

If you DO break down and answer them: refuse to stoop to
their level, no matter what the provocation. (Why should
you allow them to drag you down to their childish level?!)

(I might add that part of the genius of Starguard's Plan is
that answering ONLY ONCE forces you to make a careful,
well-reasoned rebuttal...try to hew to this part of the
formula. She got her inspiration from a rule West Point gave
up because it was TOO effective....)

But most of all: IGNORE them.
That's the worst torture of all to an egotist!

And it WORKS.

Suze Hammond

with thanks to "Starguard" SysOp of "the Overworked Dragon BBS",
Portland, OR

SMS
July 8th 11, 04:52 AM
On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:

> I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
> I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
> I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
> if everyone else did the same.

Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite
readable with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Tºm Shermªn °_°
July 8th 11, 05:17 AM
On 7/7/2011 10:52 PM, SMS wrote:
> On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:
>
>> I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
>> I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
>> I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
>> if everyone else did the same.
>
> Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite
> readable with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Scharf has killfiled himself then, so he does not have to read the
misinformation he posts?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
July 8th 11, 06:57 PM
"Joy Beeson" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:34:53 +0100, Steve O >
> wrote:
>
>> I'll stick around, but it looks like this loon has more or less
>> destroyed this newsgroup,
>
> Loons can't destroy newsgroups. It's the idiots who stroke and pet
> and encourage the loons -- the idiots who magnify the loon's
> disturbance beyond all belief -- who destroy newsgroups.
>
> Stolen from somewhere; provenance lost:
>

> Starguard's Guaranteed Fire Extinguisher
>
> A very wise Fidonet system operator once told me her "magic
> formula" for putting out flamewars. I have since posted it
> to two newsgroups and seen it praised by their
> administrators. And it's so SIMPLE....
>
> Take the premise that chronic flamers have an ego problem.
> Consider what result they hope to achieve: to get people
> "going", to get a reaction. So! What to do? Follow this
> very simple plan:
>
> Ignore them.
>
> If you feel you absolutely MUST answer them, answer them
> only ONCE, no matter what else they reply with. (I don't
> care if you have to bite your lip, kick your desk, get up
> and run around the room...sit on your hands. Deny them the
> satisfaction!)
>
> If you DO break down and answer them: refuse to stoop to
> their level, no matter what the provocation. (Why should
> you allow them to drag you down to their childish level?!)
>
> (I might add that part of the genius of Starguard's Plan is
> that answering ONLY ONCE forces you to make a careful,
> well-reasoned rebuttal...try to hew to this part of the
> formula. She got her inspiration from a rule West Point gave
> up because it was TOO effective....)
>
> But most of all: IGNORE them.
> That's the worst torture of all to an egotist!
>
> And it WORKS.

It only works if you have a RATIONAL troll. It does not work when you have a
screwball troll like TM. Such a retarded simpleton as TM is easily able to
destroy a small newsgroup by posting hundreds of nonsense messages nonstop.

TM never engages anyone. He is completely self-absorbed. Your formula of
ignoring such idiots does not work in a small newsgroup. It may work in
large newsgroups that have hundreds of everyday posters, but the quality of
even large groups will be negatively impacted.

The only solution to the problem of unmoderated newsgroups is to moderate
them. But such moderated groups are impossibly boring and only jerks and
dorks like you will ever bother with them.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 8th 11, 07:06 PM
"SMS" > wrote in message
> On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:
>
>> I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
>> I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
>> I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
>> if everyone else did the same.

Steve O wants a chat room where nothing ever goes on except the stroking of
egos.

> Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite readable
> with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Moderated groups are a terrific bore. Nothing ever gets said on them that is
worth reading. Every group needs a few members who know how to take on the
bores. Judicious filtering indeed!

The only sin on Usenet is to be boring. Either say something that others are
interested in or get lost!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan
July 8th 11, 07:43 PM
"Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
> "Edward Dolan" > considered Fri, 8 Jul 2011 13:06:26
> -0500 the perfect time to write:
>
>> Either say something that others are
>>interested in or get lost!
>
> Excellent advice.
> Why don't you take it?

I am slowly bringing Phil up to my high standards. Someday he may be a troll
worth reading.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Steve O
July 9th 11, 01:01 AM
On 08/07/2011 04:52, SMS wrote:
> On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:
>
>> I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
>> I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
>> I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
>> if everyone else did the same.
>
> Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite
> readable with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Yep- I've started to notice that- and it's getting better,and more
informative

Steve O
July 9th 11, 01:28 AM
On 08/07/2011 04:07, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:34:53 +0100, Steve >
> wrote:
>
>> I'll stick around, but it looks like this loon has more or less
>> destroyed this newsgroup,
>
> Loons can't destroy newsgroups. It's the idiots who stroke and pet
> and encourage the loons -- the idiots who magnify the loon's
> disturbance beyond all belief -- who destroy newsgroups.

Very true- the killfile is your friend

> Stolen from somewhere; provenance lost:
>

> Starguard's Guaranteed Fire Extinguisher
>
> A very wise Fidonet system operator once told me her "magic
> formula" for putting out flamewars. I have since posted it
> to two newsgroups and seen it praised by their
> administrators. And it's so SIMPLE....
>
> Take the premise that chronic flamers have an ego problem.
> Consider what result they hope to achieve: to get people
> "going", to get a reaction. So! What to do? Follow this
> very simple plan:
>
> Ignore them.
>
> If you feel you absolutely MUST answer them, answer them
> only ONCE, no matter what else they reply with. (I don't
> care if you have to bite your lip, kick your desk, get up
> and run around the room...sit on your hands. Deny them the
> satisfaction!)
>
> If you DO break down and answer them: refuse to stoop to
> their level, no matter what the provocation. (Why should
> you allow them to drag you down to their childish level?!)
>
> (I might add that part of the genius of Starguard's Plan is
> that answering ONLY ONCE forces you to make a careful,
> well-reasoned rebuttal...try to hew to this part of the
> formula. She got her inspiration from a rule West Point gave
> up because it was TOO effective....)
>
> But most of all: IGNORE them.
> That's the worst torture of all to an egotist!
>
> And it WORKS.

Of course.

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 9th 11, 08:56 AM
On Jul 7, 8:52*pm, SMS > wrote:
> On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:
>
> > I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
> > I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one..
> > I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
> > if everyone else did the same.
>
> Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite
> readable with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Problem posters, for mountain bikers, are anyone who actually tells
the truth,

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
July 10th 11, 03:32 PM

Do your homework: read my website.