PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Mountain Biker Dies!

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
August 2nd 11, 05:01 AM
Evolution in action....

Mike

http://www.wyff4.com/news/28727766/detail.html

Mountain Biker Killed; Fellow Biker Stung 100 Times

Jeff Papenfus Killed In Fall On Trail

POSTED: 11:11 am EDT August 1, 2011
UPDATED: 10:16 pm EDT August 1, 2011

MCDOWELL COUNTY, N.C. -- A man well-known and beloved in the Upstate
mountain biking community was killed while riding over the weekend,
according to McDowell County EMS.

Jeff Papenfus, 44,Greenville entrepreneur, adventure racer and member
of the Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association, was riding near Old
Fort, N.C., in McDowell County when he fell into an embankment,
according to postings on adventure racing forums.

According to friends' postings, Papenfus had just finished a training
ride on Curtis Creek Road with two other riders just after noon on
Saturday. The bikers were descending through Star Gap back to their
vehicle. Derek Zimmerman had ridden ahead of Papenfus and Elizabeth
Morse, when Papenfus fell.

Zimmerman said he waited about 20 minutes for Papenfus and Morse to
get to the car.

"I was about ready to ride back up the hill and see where they were,
see if something happened, but that's when the sirens came and that's
when everyone showed up," he said.

While performing CPR and calling 911, Morse was stung by yellow
jackets dozens of times.

"They brought her out and she had been stung, like, 100 times,"
Zimmerman said.

EMS Director William Kehler said the EMS crew were called to Jarretts
Creek Access off of Curtis Creek Road.

McDowell County Search and Rescue, EMS and the McDowell County
Sheriff's Department all responded to the call for help.

"He had run into a hive and that he had been stung," Zimmerman said.
"They said it was, like, hundreds of times."

Papenfus died at the scene. Zimmerman said in an online posting that
Papenfus likely died of a neck injury, not from being stung, according
to EMS crew members he spoke to.

"He had run into a hive and he had been stung, and I guess they found
out later that he had actually slid off into the bushes," Zimmerman
said.

As of Monday afternoon, there was no official word on the cause of
Papenfus' death. The Department of Natural Resources is continuing to
investigate.

Morse was treated at the scene and was transported to a hospital.
Several postings said that her actions attempting to revive Papenfus
while being stung dozens of times were "heroic."

Papenfus described himself online as an "entrepreneur and adventurer."
He was a member of Team GLR Adventure Racing ( Go Long Racing).
Papenfus was co-founder of go-greenevents.com an online company
providing web infrastructure and maintenance to small businesses.

Papenfus leaves behind his wife, Lisa. Many online forum postings
encouraged support and prayers for his widow.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/28727766/detail.html#ixzz1TqAPuShu

Edward Dolan
August 2nd 11, 01:00 PM
"Mike Vandeman" > wrote in message
> Evolution in action....
>
> Mike
>

> http://www.wyff4.com/news/28727766/detail.html
>
> Mountain Biker Killed; Fellow Biker Stung 100 Times
>

> Jeff Papenfus Killed In Fall On Trail
[...]

Only the bees lend any interest to the story. Otherwise, it is just the same
old, old story ... mountain biker falls and kills himself. Adventurer
indeed! Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
August 10th 11, 05:50 AM
On Aug 2, 5:00*am, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Evolution in action....
>
> > Mike
>
> >http://www.wyff4.com/news/28727766/detail.html
>
> > Mountain Biker Killed; Fellow Biker Stung 100 Times
>
> > Jeff Papenfus Killed In Fall On Trail
>
> [...]
>
> Only the bees lend any interest to the story.

Indeed. I feel sorry for the bees, who may die as a result.

Otherwise, it is just the same
> old, old story ... mountain biker falls and kills himself. Adventurer
> indeed! Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.
>
> --
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home