PDA

View Full Version : "Barriers built on trails to hurt mountain bikers?"

Mike Vandeman[_4_]
August 18th 11, 05:03 PM
Mountain biker Geoff Huber admits that most mountain bikers ride too
fast for the conditions, thus breaking the (general speed) law. Nature
is unpredictable, and often creates hazards.

Mike

http://www.kval.com/news/local/127957213.html

Barriers built on trails to hurt mountain bikers?

By Crystal Price KVAL NewsPublished: Aug 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM PDT

Hundreds of miles of singletrack trails open to mountain bikes lace
the Cascades around Oakridge

»Play Video

OAKRIDGE, Ore. - More than rocks are popping up on trails popular with
mountain bikers between Eugene and Oakridge.

Dangerous barriers made of branches and shrubs have been found on
steep sections of the trails within the last couple of weeks.

Geoff Huber, a mountain bike rider from Eugene, first encountered
these barriers on Hardesty Mountain Trail three weeks ago.

"The first barrier that I encountered was handlebar-height," Huber
said. "They were anywhere from 2 to 8 inches in diameter."

Huber was riding with someone who was not familiar with the trail and
was riding below normal speed. He said anyone riding at normal speed
could have had a serious crash.

The barriers have been located in very dangerous spots for riders to
get hurt.

"If you were in these areas and you were to go off the trail, if no
one knew you were there, you would be there a long time by yourself,"
Huber said.

Huber believes the piles were put there on purpose by someone against
mountain biking.

"Someone took time to do this," Huber said. "It's been talked about
that they want to make it a into a wilderness area."

The incident is particularly disturbing to folks in Oakridge and
Westfir, where mountain biking advocates are working to promote the
towns as the mountain bike capital of the Northwest.

Benjamin Beamer, chairman for the Greater Oakridge Area Trail
Stewards, said volunteers spend thousands of hours and dollars taking
care of the trails in hopes of keeping them safe for future bikers.

"I think Oakridge has changed a lot, and people do come here
specifically for their mountain biking," Beamer said. "I'm hoping that
this will be an isolated incident, something that someone has only
done once."

Mountain bikers are advised to be extra cautious when riding down the
trails.

Authorities are still searching for the person or people responsible
for putting up the barriers. If you have any information, please
contact the Middle Fork Ranger District at (541) 782-2283.

Edward Dolan
August 18th 11, 06:44 PM
"Mike Vandeman" > wrote in message
> Mountain biker Geoff Huber admits that most mountain bikers ride too
fast for the conditions, thus breaking the (general speed) law. Nature
is unpredictable, and often creates hazards.

> Mike

> http://www.kval.com/news/local/127957213.html

> Barriers built on trails to hurt mountain bikers?
[...]

Hikers do not need to build barriers in order to kill mountain bikers. They
will do that just fine all by themselves with no help from hikers. I only
wish they would kill themselves faster and in greater numbers.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

T°m Sherm@n
August 19th 11, 05:40 AM
On 8/18/2011 12:44 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Mike > wrote in message
>> Mountain biker Geoff Huber admits that most mountain bikers ride too
> fast for the conditions, thus breaking the (general speed) law. Nature
> is unpredictable, and often creates hazards.
>
>> Mike
>
>> http://www.kval.com/news/local/127957213.html
>
>> Barriers built on trails to hurt mountain bikers?
> [...]
>
> Hikers do not need to build barriers in order to kill mountain bikers. They
> will do that just fine all by themselves with no help from hikers. I only
> wish they would kill themselves faster and in greater numbers.

Why limit this desire to just mountain bikers?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Edward Dolan
August 20th 11, 10:41 AM
""T°m Sherm@n"" "> wrote in message
> On 8/18/2011 12:44 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
>> Hikers do not need to build barriers in order to kill mountain bikers.
>> They
>> will do that just fine all by themselves with no help from hikers. I only
>> wish they would kill themselves faster and in greater numbers.
>>
> Why limit this desire to just mountain bikers?

There are tens of thousands of miles of roads of all description which
mountain bikers can ride to their heart's content. They need to stay the
hell off of hiking trails.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

T°m Sherm@n
August 20th 11, 06:13 PM
On 8/20/2011 4:41 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> ""T�m "> wrote in message
>> On 8/18/2011 12:44 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> [...]
>>> Hikers do not need to build barriers in order to kill mountain bikers.
>>> They
>>> will do that just fine all by themselves with no help from hikers. I only
>>> wish they would kill themselves faster and in greater numbers.
>>>
>> Why limit this desire to just mountain bikers?
>
> There are tens of thousands of miles of roads of all description which
> mountain bikers can ride to their heart's content. They need to stay the
> hell off of hiking trails.

Death to the humans!

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Kayak 44
August 21st 11, 10:03 PM
On Aug 18, 12:03*pm, Mike Vandeman > wrote:
> Mountain biker Geoff Huber admits that most mountain bikers ride too
> fast for the conditions, thus breaking the (general speed) law. Nature
> is unpredictable, and often creates hazards.

Did you lose your virginity in jail, Michael Vandeman?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home