PDA

View Full Version : No discussion of RadioShack/Leopard-Trek merger rumor?

Mike Jacoubowsky
September 2nd 11, 05:33 AM
I would have thought this would have raised some eyebrows. Supposedly a
rumor, but doesn't it add up? What better DS than Johan Bruyneel to deal
with the Schlecks weaknesses at time trialing? What better way for Radio
Shack to gracefully bow out? I was told several weeks ago that Trek was
going to sponsor just one ProTour team for 2012 (Leopard-Trek), and it's
no secret that a TdF win is far more important than the combined 2nd &
3rd spots on the podium. Seriously, merging Radio Shack & Leopard-Trek
has got to be all about just one thing- Johan Bruyneel.

What say the mob?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

DirtRoadie
September 2nd 11, 06:24 AM
On Sep 1, 10:33*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" >
wrote:
> I would have thought this would have raised some eyebrows. Supposedly a
> rumor, but doesn't it add up? What better DS than Johan Bruyneel to deal
> with the Schlecks weaknesses at time trialing? What better way for Radio
> Shack to gracefully bow out? I was told several weeks ago that Trek was
> going to sponsor just one ProTour team for 2012 (Leopard-Trek), and it's
> no secret that a TdF win is far more important than the combined 2nd &
> 3rd spots on the podium. Seriously, merging Radio Shack & Leopard-Trek
> has got to be all about just one thing- Johan Bruyneel.
>
> What say the mob?

I'm waiting and watching but, as the saying goes, where there's smoke
there's fire. After this year's TdF fiasco for RS it would seem that
the team needs some rejuvenation. The promotional link to that LA guy
is likely wearing thin. And with the way BMC is buying up the talent,
another super squad almost seems necessary to maintain a balance of
power. One wonders how Kloden and Horner will be next year.

The Schlecks seem to be spending a bunch of time stateside which could
certainly hint at some US related connections other than just
appearance fees.

I also wonder whether AS will ever become a capable TT'er. If a
scrawny little guy Janez can do it, it should be within reach of Andy.
But hanging out with Fabian hasn't rubbed off on him.

Like I said - I'm waiting and watching
DR

Randall
September 4th 11, 04:29 AM
On Sep 1, 10:24*pm, DirtRoadie > wrote:
> On Sep 1, 10:33*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" >
> wrote:

Personally I don't think there is a great need for Leopard Trek to
merge with RS. But there is much greater for RS to merge. As for TT
skils there others they can learn from. Trek's sponsorship is helpful
to RS, not unreplacable.

Radishack crashes at this years TDF is due to agility.

> > I would have thought this would have raised some eyebrows. Supposedly a
> > rumor, but doesn't it add up? What better DS than Johan Bruyneel to deal
> > with the Schlecks weaknesses at time trialing? What better way for Radio
> > Shack to gracefully bow out? I was told several weeks ago that Trek was
> > going to sponsor just one ProTour team for 2012 (Leopard-Trek), and it's
> > no secret that a TdF win is far more important than the combined 2nd &
> > 3rd spots on the podium. Seriously, merging Radio Shack & Leopard-Trek
> > has got to be all about just one thing- Johan Bruyneel.
>
> > What say the mob?
>
> I'm waiting and watching but, as the saying goes, where there's smoke
> there's fire. After this year's TdF fiasco for RS it would seem that
> the team needs some rejuvenation. The promotional link to that LA guy
> is likely wearing thin. And with the way BMC is buying up the talent,
> another super squad almost seems necessary to maintain a balance of
> power. One wonders how Kloden and Horner will be next year.
>
> The Schlecks seem to be spending a bunch of time stateside which could
> certainly hint at some US related connections other than just
> appearance fees.
>
> I also wonder whether AS will ever become a capable TT'er. If a
> scrawny little guy Janez can do it, it should be within reach of Andy.
> But hanging out with Fabian hasn't rubbed off on him.
>
> Like I said - I'm waiting and watching
> DR

Mike Jacoubowsky
September 4th 11, 06:35 AM

========
Personally I don't think there is a great need for Leopard Trek to
merge with RS. But there is much greater for RS to merge. As for TT
skils there others they can learn from. Trek's sponsorship is helpful
to RS, not unreplacable.

Radishack crashes at this years TDF is due to agility.
========

Johan Bruyneel has carried over an extremely-capable team of managers to
RS; their lack of success is due primarily to their abundance of age.
The raw, untamed talent just doesn't exist over at RS (and where it has,
it's left for greener pastures, basically teams with a future). With
Lance not even doing the Tri gig he'd promised, what's in it for a
sponsor? Oh sure, you could have a ProTour team of experienced old hands
that comes over to the US now & then to beat up on the Continental &
Amateur teams...

Realistically, 2011 was the last shot at a magical ending for all the
old-timers at RS. I would love to believe Chris Horner could ride the
'Tour again and be a factor, but c'mon, that's way more absurd than
believing he could have been on the podium this past year (which was a
ridiculous longshot, but yeah, I was hoping). Leopard-Trek doesn't need
and can't use any RS riders, just management.

And getting back to Johan, c'mon, you really think he doesn't want
another shot? That he would love to have some talented riders that have
the genetics and age for the top spot on the podium? He's got to be
super-motivated, or ready to retire. I'm going for motivated.
Leopard-Trek could desperately use someone who would leave no stone
unturned in a quest to win the TdF, and Andy needs someone running
things whose credentials vastly exceed his own.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Randall
September 4th 11, 09:07 AM
> Personally I don't think there is a great need for Leopard Trek to
> merge with RS. But there is much greater for RS to merge. As for TT
> skills there others they can learn from. Trek's sponsorship is helpful
> to RS, not replaceable.
>
> Radioshack crashes at this years TDF is due to agility.
> ========
>

> Johan Bruyneel has carried over an extremely-capable team of managers to
> RS; their lack of success is due primarily to their abundance of age.
> The raw, untamed talent just doesn't exist over at RS (and where it has,
> it's left for greener pastures, basically teams with a future). With
> Lance not even doing the Tri gig he'd promised, what's in it for a
> sponsor? Oh sure, you could have a ProTour team of experienced old hands
> that comes over to the US now & then to beat up on the Continental &
> Amateur teams...
>
> Realistically, 2011 was the last shot at a magical ending for all the
> old-timers at RS. I would love to believe Chris Horner could ride the
> 'Tour again and be a factor, but c'mon, that's way more absurd than
> believing he could have been on the podium this past year (which was a
> ridiculous longshot, but yeah, I was hoping). Leopard-Trek doesn't need
> and can't use any RS riders, just management.
>
> And getting back to Johan, c'mon, you really think he doesn't want
> another shot? That he would love to have some talented riders that have
> the genetics and age for the top spot on the podium? He's got to be
> super-motivated, or ready to retire. I'm going for motivated.
> Leopard-Trek could desperately use someone who would leave no stone
> unturned in a quest to win the TdF, and Andy needs someone running
> things whose credentials vastly exceed his own.
>
> --Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles

Naturally RS will have to replace it's older riders in the near
future. This the reason why Bruyneel is working with the Livestrong
team as a development team. I don't think that a clean sweep of all
the older RS riders needs to be done immediately. Let's not forget
that RS has won several major tours this year. So question is how
quickly will the younger riders develop and what newer riders can be
signed.

Randall
September 5th 11, 08:58 PM
Leopard Trek merger announced
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-
radioshack )

On Sep 1, 9:33*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:
> I would have thought this would have raised some eyebrows. Supposedly a
> rumor, but doesn't it add up? What better DS than Johan Bruyneel to deal
> with the Schlecks weaknesses at time trialing? What better way for Radio
> Shack to gracefully bow out? I was told several weeks ago that Trek was
> going to sponsor just one ProTour team for 2012 (Leopard-Trek), and it's
> no secret that a TdF win is far more important than the combined 2nd &
> 3rd spots on the podium. Seriously, merging Radio Shack & Leopard-Trek
> has got to be all about just one thing- Johan Bruyneel.
>
> What say the mob?
>
> --Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

RicodJour[_2_]
September 5th 11, 09:11 PM
On Sep 5, 3:58*pm, Randall > wrote:

> Leopard Trek merger announced
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-radioshack

Stop top posting. It is unseemly.

No mention of Levi in that merger announcement. Hmmm....

DirtRoadie
September 5th 11, 09:34 PM
On Sep 5, 1:58*pm, Randall > wrote:
> Leopard Trek merger announced
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-
> radioshack )

I wonder what all that denial nonsense was about.

DR

DirtRoadie
September 6th 11, 05:03 AM
On Sep 5, 2:11*pm, RicodJour > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 3:58*pm, Randall > wrote:
>

> > Leopard Trek merger announced
> > *http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-rad...
>
> Stop top posting. *It is unseemly.
>
> No mention of Levi in that merger announcement. * Hmmm....

Hmmm... indeed.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/6933632/radioshack-leopard-trek-cycling-teams-merge-2012

"One notable absence from the list was RadioShack's Levi Leipheimer, a
past podium finisher in two three-week Grand Tours, the Tour de France
and Vuelta d'Espana and winner of this year's Tour of Switzerland, the
Tour of Utah and the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado.
Leipheimer has made no announcement about his 2012 plans. Leopard's
popular German support rider Jens Voigt, whose current contract
expires at the end of this year, also was not listed."

Scott
September 6th 11, 05:06 AM
On Sep 5, 2:11*pm, RicodJour > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 3:58*pm, Randall > wrote:
>

> > Leopard Trek merger announced
> > *http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-rad...
>
> Stop top posting. *It is unseemly.
>
> No mention of Levi in that merger announcement. * Hmmm....

The fact that he hasn't denied plans to move to another team leads me
to believe it's pretty much a done deal. He's moving, just hasn't
announced to where, yet.

Plano Dude
September 6th 11, 05:12 AM
On Sep 5, 11:06*pm, Scott > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2:11*pm, RicodJour > wrote:
>
> > On Sep 5, 3:58*pm, Randall > wrote:
>
> > > Leopard Trek merger announced
> > > *http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-rad...
>
> > Stop top posting. *It is unseemly.
>
> > No mention of Levi in that merger announcement. * Hmmm....

> The fact that he hasn't denied plans to move to another team leads me
> to believe it's pretty much a done deal. *He's moving, just hasn't
> announced to where, yet.

Re LL: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/more-rumours-around-leopard-trek-radioshack-merger

"RadioShack manager Bruyneel is also maintaining his silence, but is
apparently back at the Vuelta a España after a trip to Luxembourg last
week. While one of his team leaders, Levi Leipheimer, will be riding
for Belgian team Quick Step next year, Frenchman Geoffroy Lequatre and
Portuguese rider Sergio Paulinho - whose contracts run out at the end
of the season - will allegedly also have to leave."

Randall
September 6th 11, 08:02 AM
It will be very interesting to see who the remaining riders that are
signed up for the new team.

Davey Crockett[_5_]
September 6th 11, 08:39 AM
Plano Dude a écrit profondement:

| Re LL: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/more-rumours-around-leopard-trek-radioshack-merger

| "RadioShack manager Bruyneel is also maintaining his silence, but is
| apparently back at the Vuelta a España after a trip to Luxembourg last
| week. While one of his team leaders, Levi Leipheimer, will be riding
| for Belgian team Quick Step next year, Frenchman Geoffroy Lequatre and
| Portuguese rider Sergio Paulinho - whose contracts run out at the end
| of the season - will allegedly also have to leave."

I'm surprised they are even going to merge

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/t?s=RSH&lang=en-CA&region=CA&width=300&height=180

Keep your eye on ticker symbol RSH

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RSH

Julian Dean, though, on a personal basis ir rolling in Roubles

--
Davey Crockett
A northeastern Spain municipality with a 40-percent Muslim population

Scott
September 6th 11, 01:28 PM
On Sep 5, 10:03*pm, DirtRoadie > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2:11*pm, RicodJour > wrote:
>
> > On Sep 5, 3:58*pm, Randall > wrote:
>
> > > Leopard Trek merger announced
> > > *http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-confirms-merger-with-rad...
>
> > Stop top posting. *It is unseemly.
>
> > No mention of Levi in that merger announcement. * Hmmm....
>
> Hmmm... indeed.
>
> http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/6933632/radioshack-leo...
>
> "One notable absence from the list was RadioShack's Levi Leipheimer, a
> past podium finisher in two three-week Grand Tours, the Tour de France
> and Vuelta d'Espana and winner of this year's Tour of Switzerland, the
> Tour of Utah and the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado.
> Leipheimer has made no announcement about his 2012 plans. Leopard's
> popular German support rider Jens Voigt, whose current contract
> expires at the end of this year, also was not listed."

Levi has denied the QS connection.

Fred Flintstein
September 6th 11, 02:17 PM
On 9/6/2011 7:28 AM, Scott wrote:
> On Sep 5, 10:03 pm, > wrote:

>>> Stop top posting. It is unseemly.
>>
>>> No mention of Levi in that merger announcement. Hmmm....
>>
>> Hmmm... indeed.
>>
>> http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/6933632/radioshack-leo...
>>
>> "One notable absence from the list was RadioShack's Levi Leipheimer, a
>> past podium finisher in two three-week Grand Tours, the Tour de France
>> and Vuelta d'Espana and winner of this year's Tour of Switzerland, the
>> Tour of Utah and the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado.
>> Leipheimer has made no announcement about his 2012 plans. Leopard's
>> popular German support rider Jens Voigt, whose current contract
>> expires at the end of this year, also was not listed."
>
> Levi has denied the QS connection.

I suspect being 37 years old hurts him. And having a long career with
no big wins also hurts him.

I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
stage races is an asset for them.

Scott
September 6th 11, 02:38 PM
On Sep 6, 7:17*am, Fred Flintstein >
wrote:
> On 9/6/2011 7:28 AM, Scott wrote:

> >> Hmmm... indeed.
>
> >>http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/6933632/radioshack-leo....
>
> >> "One notable absence from the list was RadioShack's Levi Leipheimer, a
> >> past podium finisher in two three-week Grand Tours, the Tour de France
> >> and Vuelta d'Espana and winner of this year's Tour of Switzerland, the
> >> Tour of Utah and the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado.
> >> Leipheimer has made no announcement about his 2012 plans. Leopard's
> >> popular German support rider Jens Voigt, whose current contract
> >> expires at the end of this year, also was not listed."
>
> > Levi has denied the QS connection.
>
> I suspect being 37 years old hurts him. And having a long career with
> no big wins also hurts him.
>
> I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
> And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
> stage races is an asset for them.

Maybe he's going to QS as a DS?

Davey Crockett[_5_]
September 6th 11, 03:36 PM
Fred Flintstein a écrit profondement:

| I suspect being 37 years old hurts him. And having a long career with
| no big wins also hurts him.

| I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
| And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
| stage races is an asset for them.

Davey just can't fathom the logic there at all

Unless he knows enough about Manolo's Boy to guarantee him a ride as
long as he wants one.

--
Davey Crockett
Ruby Ridge - Never Forget, Never Forgive

Fred Flintstein
September 6th 11, 09:09 PM
On 9/6/2011 8:38 AM, Scott wrote:
> On Sep 6, 7:17 am, Fred >
> wrote:
>> On 9/6/2011 7:28 AM, Scott wrote:
>>> Levi has denied the QS connection.
>>
>> I suspect being 37 years old hurts him. And having a long career with
>> no big wins also hurts him.
>>
>> I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
>> And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
>> stage races is an asset for them.

> Maybe he's going to QS as a DS?

Even with the merger with Omega Pharma they are not going to care
about stage race GC. That isn't going to be the squad's focus.

If Levi has anything to add to them as a DS it's a mystery to me
what it could be.

I'm skeptical.

Scott
September 6th 11, 09:58 PM
On Sep 6, 2:09*pm, Fred Flintstein >
wrote:
> On 9/6/2011 8:38 AM, Scott wrote:
>
> > On Sep 6, 7:17 am, Fred >
> > wrote:
>
> >> I suspect being 37 years old hurts him. And having a long career with
> >> no big wins also hurts him.
>
> >> I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
> >> And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
> >> stage races is an asset for them.

> > Maybe he's going to QS as a DS?
>
> Even with the merger with Omega Pharma they are not going to care
> about stage race GC. That isn't going to be the squad's focus.
>
> If Levi has anything to add to them as a DS it's a mystery to me
> what it could be.
>
> I'm skeptical.

Wipe your glasses off, You're missing even the most obvious sarcasm...

Randall
September 6th 11, 10:32 PM
On Sep 6, 1:09*pm, Fred Flintstein >
wrote:
> On 9/6/2011 8:38 AM, Scott wrote:
>
> > On Sep 6, 7:17 am, Fred >
> > wrote:
>
> >> I suspect being 37 years old hurts him. And having a long career with
> >> no big wins also hurts him.
>
> >> I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
> >> And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
> >> stage races is an asset for them.

> > Maybe he's going to QS as a DS?
>
> Even with the merger with Omega Pharma they are not going to care
> about stage race GC. That isn't going to be the squad's focus.
>
> If Levi has anything to add to them as a DS it's a mystery to me
> what it could be.
>
> I'm skeptical.

Well perhaps Levi is trying to transition into management role. Levi
has a lot of experience he can pass on to other riders. As for team
focus that can always change.

Victor Kan
September 7th 11, 01:19 AM
> I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
> And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
> stage races is an asset for them.

Maybe they want Levi for his World Tour points.

Quickstep currently is near the bottom of the rankings, and although
Omega-Pharma-Lotto is near the top, most of their points leave with
Gilbert.

Remember all the machinations people talked about with Thor Hushovd
and his tour points when Garmin left him off the Vuelta squad?

Levi currently has more points than Thor does.

Randall
September 7th 11, 03:29 AM
On Sep 6, 5:19*pm, Victor Kan > wrote:
> > I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
> > And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
> > stage races is an asset for them.

They want Levi for the smaller tours & as a contender in the TDF.

> Maybe they want Levi for his World Tour points.
>
> Quickstep currently is near the bottom of the rankings, and although
> Omega-Pharma-Lotto is near the top, most of their points leave with
> Gilbert.
>
> Remember all the machinations people talked about with Thor Hushovd
> and his tour points when Garmin left him off the Vuelta squad?
>
> Levi currently has more points than Thor does.

Jimmy July[_3_]
September 8th 11, 04:35 AM
On 9/6/2011 7:29 PM, Randall wrote:

> They want Levi for the smaller tours& as a contender in the TDF.

Contender for what? I don't see him as the Lanterne Rouge type.

DirtRoadie
September 8th 11, 05:16 AM
On Sep 6, 8:29*pm, Randall > wrote:
> On Sep 6, 5:19*pm, Victor Kan > wrote:
>
> > > I'm suspicious of Quick Step. Their focus is not what he does well.
> > > And I don't see where beefing up their lineup for 'training race'
> > > stage races is an asset for them.
>
> They want Levi for the smaller tours & as a contender in the TDF.

Levi has capabilities. Tour of Utah. Tour of California. USA
Procycling Challenge. Tour de Suisse.

TdF contender? No, sorry. He's done with that, whether they or he
knows it or not .

DR

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home