PDA

View Full Version : time bonuses for the finish

yirgster
September 5th 11, 07:53 AM
I like them. Because it can make it more difficult for the leader or others to ride as defensively, and boringly, in the mountains as they otherwise would do.

In this year's vuelta Cobo's entire margin is 20 seconds, his time bonus from Sunday's stage 15. And, had there not been any, then Saturday's stage would probably have unfolded quite differently with De La Fuente competing for the stage win instead of being asked to sit up and wait for Cobo to allow him to finish 2nd.

Interestingly since Cobo didn't gain that much on Saturday (except there was that 12 second bonus for 2nd) one of the Universal Sports announcers said today that the Geox director had 2nd thoughts about asking De La Fuente to sit up. But as things turned out ...

Also, the bonus meant it was potentially important for Cobo's teammate Menchov to deprive the sky riders of 3rd place and its bonus.

Which means coasting in to the "same time" might not do it as now actual position can matter, which means again the possibility of more real racing.

RicodJour[_2_]
September 5th 11, 02:21 PM
On Sep 5, 2:53*am, yirgster > wrote:
> I like them. Because it can make it more difficult for the leader or others to ride as defensively, and boringly, in the mountains as they otherwise would do.
>
> In this year's vuelta Cobo's entire margin is 20 seconds, his time bonus from Sunday's stage 15. And, had there not been any, then Saturday's stage would probably have unfolded quite differently with De La Fuente competing for the stage win instead of being asked to sit up and wait for Cobo to allow him to finish 2nd.
>
> Interestingly since Cobo didn't gain that much on Saturday (except there was that 12 second bonus for 2nd) one of the Universal Sports announcers said today that the Geox director had 2nd thoughts about asking De La Fuente to sit up. But as things turned out ...
>
> Also, the bonus meant it was potentially important for Cobo's teammate Menchov to deprive the sky riders of 3rd place and its bonus.
>
> Which means coasting in to the "same time" might not do it as now actual position can matter, which means again the possibility of more real racing.

To paraphrase: adding a variable makes things more complex.
Yes...yes, I think I can accept that. ;)

BTW, Cobo Menchov would be a great name for a dinner entree.

R

Frederick the Great
September 5th 11, 08:46 PM
In article

>,
yirgster > wrote some very long lines:

> I like them. Because it can make it more difficult for the leader or others to ride as defensively, and boringly, in the mountains as they otherwise would do.
>
> In this year's vuelta Cobo's entire margin is 20 seconds, his time bonus from Sunday's stage 15. And, had there not been any, then Saturday's stage would probably have unfolded quite differently with De La Fuente competing for the stage win instead of being asked to sit up and wait for Cobo to allow him to finish 2nd.

This is an argument _for_ time bonuses?

--
Old Fritz

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home