PDA

View Full Version : The least consequential world championship road race ever - 2011

Anton Berlin
September 26th 11, 12:25 PM
In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
limit sign.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-top-10-world-road-races

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 12:49 PM
On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
a complete and utter tosser.

--

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 12:59 PM
On 26/09/2011 12:49, atriage wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>>
>> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
>> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>>

> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
> think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
> a complete and utter tosser.

BTW option 2 is the one I go for, if others disagree they are free to post about
it of course.

--

--D-y
September 26th 11, 04:45 PM
On Sep 26, 6:25*am, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
> limit sign.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-top-10-world-road-races

Careful, Anton, you're admiring Lance there. And IMS, you "don't like
Lance", either.

What was that expression you used IRT Cavendish's sprints-- handed
something on a platter, or something?

Not the case yesterday. A team ride that will be remembered in support
of Cavendish, and then he showed his sprinting abilities-- which
include being able to launch off the front of a very fast train, or
get close and make it happen by himself, from out of a scrum.

You don't have to admire the person, just the deeds.
--D-y

Uncle Dave
September 26th 11, 05:58 PM
On Sep 26, 12:25*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
> limit sign.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-top-10-world-road-races

The thing is, the riders have to deal with the course that's put
before them, and if you expected to see anything other than a bunch
sprint then you obviously don't know as much about bike racing as you
seem. The race was as lively as any I can remember, though as
predictable as most Worlds races tend to be, albeit with fewer likely
winners touted before the race.

Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
win and I include Tour de Farce in that. The sad irony is that most
people will never know he was a proper bike rider once...

UD

Uncle Dave
September 26th 11, 05:59 PM
On Sep 26, 12:49*pm, atriage > wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
> think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
> a complete and utter tosser.

Opinion is split on which. On the one hand there's Anton's opinion,
on the other everybody else's.

<boom boom i thenk yew i thenk yew>

UD

Uncle Dave
September 26th 11, 06:03 PM
On Sep 26, 4:45*pm, --D-y > wrote:
> On Sep 26, 6:25*am, Anton Berlin > wrote:
>
> > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> > No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
> > limit sign.
>
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-top-10-world-road-races
>
> Careful, Anton, you're admiring Lance there. And IMS, you "don't like
> Lance", either.
>
> What was that expression you used IRT Cavendish's sprints-- handed
> something on a platter, or something?
>
> Not the case yesterday. A team ride that will be remembered in support
> of Cavendish, and then he showed his sprinting abilities-- which
> include being able to launch off the front of a very fast train, or
> get close and make it happen by himself, from out of a scrum.
>
> You don't have to admire the person, just the deeds.

Despite his being a Brit, I'd always seen him as something of a Cipo -
all gas and nothing much else - but the way he got himself into
position after losing his train was very impressive. I might even
become a fan.

UD

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 06:50 PM
On 26/09/2011 17:58, Uncle Dave wrote:
> On Sep 26, 12:25 pm, Anton > wrote:
>> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>>
>> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
>> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>>
>> No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
>> limit sign.
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-top-10-world-road-races
>
> The thing is, the riders have to deal with the course that's put
> before them, and if you expected to see anything other than a bunch
> sprint then you obviously don't know as much about bike racing as you
> seem. The race was as lively as any I can remember, though as
> predictable as most Worlds races tend to be, albeit with fewer likely
> winners touted before the race.
>
> Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
> but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
> win and I include Tour de Farce in that.

Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display of
unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure. All the stuff
that came later...well it seems 'head in the sand syndrome' is pretty common in
sports administration whatever the sport...probably something to do with old men
being in charge of it all, although how they could have failed to see that the
incentive to dope in cycling is overwhelming (if you think you'll get away with
it) is beyond me.

--

Fred Flintstein
September 26th 11, 07:32 PM
On 9/26/2011 12:50 PM, atriage wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 17:58, Uncle Dave wrote:
>> Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
>> but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
>> win and I include Tour de Farce in that.
>
> Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
> of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.

LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.

And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...

(Oslo, 257.6 km)
1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.

A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.

Randall
September 26th 11, 08:01 PM
I was very disappointed by the race. The US had a very weak team. The
Italians only entered 2 or 3 riders. part of the problem``is that the
worlds course is always criterium. This takes away from the race.

Frederick the Great
September 26th 11, 08:27 PM
In article
Uncle Dave > wrote:

> On Sep 26, 4:45Â*pm, --D-y > wrote:
> > On Sep 26, 6:25Â*am, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> >
> > > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
> >
> > > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
> >
> > > No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
> > > limit sign.
> >
> > >http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-top-10-world-road-races
> >
> > Careful, Anton, you're admiring Lance there. And IMS, you "don't like
> > Lance", either.
> >
> > What was that expression you used IRT Cavendish's sprints-- handed
> > something on a platter, or something?
> >
> > Not the case yesterday. A team ride that will be remembered in support
> > of Cavendish, and then he showed his sprinting abilities-- which
> > include being able to launch off the front of a very fast train, or
> > get close and make it happen by himself, from out of a scrum.
> >
> > You don't have to admire the person, just the deeds.
>
> Despite his being a Brit, I'd always seen him as something of a Cipo -
> all gas and nothing much else - but the way he got himself into
> position after losing his train was very impressive. I might even
> become a fan.

Milan-San Remo 2009 was not a clue?
When he runs out of `gas', he will
remake himself. By the time his
career is well advanced, you will be
telling everybody "I knew him when ..."

--
Old Fritz

Simply Fred
September 26th 11, 08:47 PM
Anton Berlin wrote:
> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
> limit sign.

The sprint would have been a lot more fun for neutrals if Abdoujaparov
was still around.

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 09:17 PM
On 26/09/2011 20:01, Randall wrote:
> I was very disappointed by the race. The US had a very weak team. The
> Italians only entered 2 or 3 riders. part of the problem``is that the
> worlds course is always criterium. This takes away from the race.

I gotta hand it to you Randall, when it comes to talking complete **** you're
the king.

--

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 09:24 PM
On 26/09/2011 20:47, Simply Fred wrote:
> Anton Berlin wrote:
>> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>>
>> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
>> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>>
>> No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
>> limit sign.
>
> The sprint would have been a lot more fun for neutrals if Abdoujaparov was still
> around.

I always thought his 'talent' was overrated, I never saw him take out more than
ten riders in a single crash.

--

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 09:29 PM
On 26/09/2011 19:32, Fred Flintstein wrote:
> On 9/26/2011 12:50 PM, atriage wrote:
>> On 26/09/2011 17:58, Uncle Dave wrote:
>>> Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
>>> but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
>>> win and I include Tour de Farce in that.
>>
>> Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
>> of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.
>
> LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
> He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.
>
> And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...
>
> (Oslo, 257.6 km)
> 1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
> 2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
> 3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
> 4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
> 5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
> 6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
> 7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
> 8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
> 9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
> 10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.
>
> A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
> win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
> books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.

Yes and at this level 19 seconds is a lifetime, unbelievable that he could keep
that lot at bay (reads like a who's who of early nineties racing aristocracy).

--

Anton Berlin
September 26th 11, 09:35 PM
On Sep 26, 6:49*am, atriage > wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
> think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
> a complete and utter tosser.
>
> --

If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
****ing saunter you stupid ****. 45 kph ain't **** - there are
triathletes out there that can do that all alone.

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 09:40 PM
On 26/09/2011 21:35, Anton Berlin wrote:
> On Sep 26, 6:49 am, > wrote:
>> On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>>
>>> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>>
>>> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
>>> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>>
>> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
>> think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
>> a complete and utter tosser.
>>
>> --
>
> If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
> ****ing saunter you stupid ****. 45 kph ain't **** - there are
> triathletes out there that can do that all alone.

Hey you know Anton, further ^^^^ there I said that when it comes to talking ****
Randall is the king but I gotta admit I was wrong, that crown goes to you.

--

Anton Berlin
September 26th 11, 09:41 PM
wrote:
> On 9/26/2011 12:50 PM, atriage wrote:
>
> > On 26/09/2011 17:58, Uncle Dave wrote:
> >> Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
> >> but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
> >> win and I include Tour de Farce in that.
>
> > Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
> > of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.
>
> LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
> He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.
>
> And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...
>
> (Oslo, 257.6 km)
> 1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
> 2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
> 3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
> 4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
> 5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
> 6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
> 7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
> 8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
> 9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
> 10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.
>
> A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
> win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
> books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.

It wouldn't be the first time 9 contenders speculate disaster of
coming 2nd while a doubtful takes advantage. A lot of road races like
the LA one mentioned here would have a different outcome each time if
run 10 more times. The problem isn't Cavendish's win the problem is
that running the 2011 10 more times would probably result in the same
outcome every time. Cycling is getting god damn embarrassing.

Two world class goobers take gold in the tt and rr and 3 Pats podium
the women's road race.

RicodJour[_2_]
September 26th 11, 10:40 PM
On Sep 26, 4:35*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> On Sep 26, 6:49*am, atriage > wrote:
>
> > On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> > > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> > The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
> > think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
> > a complete and utter tosser.
>
> > --
>
> If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
> ****ing saunter you stupid ****. *45 kph ain't **** - there are
> triathletes out there that can do that all alone.

When was the last triathlon that had a 160 mile bike leg? The
difference between 100 and 160 is substantial...almost 60!

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 11:00 PM
On 26/09/2011 22:40, RicodJour wrote:
> On Sep 26, 4:35 pm, Anton > wrote:

>>> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
>>> think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
>>> a complete and utter tosser.
>>
>>> --
>>
>> If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
>> ****ing saunter you stupid ****. 45 kph ain't **** - there are
>> triathletes out there that can do that all alone.
>
> When was the last triathlon that had a 160 mile bike leg? The
> difference between 100 and 160 is substantial...almost 60!

It's not fair if you're gonna start baffling Anton with advanced rithmatic.

--

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 11:03 PM
On 26/09/2011 21:41, Anton Berlin wrote:
> On Sep 26, 1:32 pm, Fred >
> wrote:

>>> Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
>>> of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.
>>
>> LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
>> He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.
>>
>> And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...
>>
>> (Oslo, 257.6 km)
>> 1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
>> 2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
>> 3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
>> 4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
>> 5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
>> 6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
>> 7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
>> 8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
>> 9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
>> 10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.
>>
>> A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
>> win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
>> books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.
>>
> Cycling is getting god damn embarrassing.

Cav keeps winning and rendering your uninformed comments meaningless you mean.
Yes, I can see that would embarrass you.

--

A. Dumas[_2_]
September 26th 11, 11:10 PM
On 26/09/2011 13:49, atriage wrote:
> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If

Zolder 2002 was faster at 46.54 km/h (256 km in 5h 30' 03").

atriage[_6_]
September 26th 11, 11:31 PM
On 26/09/2011 23:10, A. Dumas wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 13:49, atriage wrote:
>> The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If
>
> Zolder 2002 was faster at 46.54 km/h (256 km in 5h 30' 03").

Yeah but Anton would have done it in three hours cos he's really special.

--

--D-y
September 27th 11, 03:03 AM
On Sep 26, 3:41*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> On Sep 26, 1:32*pm, Fred Flintstein >
> wrote:

> > > Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
> > > of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.
>
> > LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
> > He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.
>
> > And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...
>
> > (Oslo, 257.6 km)
> > 1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
> > 2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
> > 3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
> > 4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
> > 5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
> > 6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
> > 7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
> > 8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
> > 9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
> > 10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.
>
> > A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
> > win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
> > books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.

> It wouldn't be the first time 9 contenders speculate disaster of
> coming 2nd while a doubtful takes advantage. *A lot of road races like
> the LA one mentioned here would have a different outcome each time if
> run 10 more times.

Different people falling on the greasy road in Oslo, you mean <g>?

I don't pretend to "know" anything about what really happened but
reportage at the time was "we couldn't catch him" and that was from
Indurain himself.
Note, Indurain attended at least one Ride for the Roses in Austin.
What that might mean in reference to any relationship with LA is up
for grabs, of course.

> *The problem isn't Cavendish's win

Oh yes it is, Anton! Come on, 'fess up...
> the problem is
> that running the 2011 10 more times would probably result in the same
> outcome every time. *Cycling is getting god damn embarrassing.

Top dog sprinter wins a sprinter's Worlds-- what's wrong with that,
again?
As for bank-vault repeatability: it was close, at the end-- meaning,
Cavendish might well have got himself boxed in and finished 8th or so.
I'm repeating that partly to get you to admit that he can win big bad-
ass sprints without being delivered to the line by the (arguably) best
train in the bizness.

If M-SR is such a suck-ass dog**** sprinter's criterium race, why did
Merckx win it 7 times? He was far from the best bunch sprinter of his
day, and lots of other racers wanted that win, no doubt about it.
--D-y

September 27th 11, 03:07 AM
On Sep 26, 6:10*pm, "A. Dumas" > wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 13:49, atriage wrote:
>
> > The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If
>
> Zolder 2002 was faster at 46.54 km/h (256 km in 5h 30' 03").

And at the time people complained about that race being 'too easy'
also. As I recall ('cuz I was there) Moreau and another guy were off
for a good portion of the race, and the Italians essentially
controlled the gap and then delivered Cipo to the line. The last few
laps of that race still had a number of hard attacks that had chances,
but ultimately brought back with hard efforts. Just like yesterday it
was an impressive show of teamwork

Scott
September 27th 11, 03:29 AM
On Sep 26, 2:35*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> On Sep 26, 6:49*am, atriage > wrote:
>
> > On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> > > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> > The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
> > think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
> > a complete and utter tosser.
>
> > --
>
> If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
> ****ing saunter you stupid ****. *45 kph ain't **** - there are
> triathletes out there that can do that all alone.

Really, on regulation road bikes, and for how long?

Scott
September 27th 11, 03:31 AM
On Sep 26, 2:41*pm, Anton Berlin > wrote:
> On Sep 26, 1:32*pm, Fred Flintstein >
> wrote:

> > > Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
> > > of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.
>
> > LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
> > He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.
>
> > And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...
>
> > (Oslo, 257.6 km)
> > 1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
> > 2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
> > 3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
> > 4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
> > 5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
> > 6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
> > 7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
> > 8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
> > 9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
> > 10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.
>
> > A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
> > win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
> > books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.

> It wouldn't be the first time 9 contenders speculate disaster of
> coming 2nd while a doubtful takes advantage. *A lot of road races like
> the LA one mentioned here would have a different outcome each time if
> run 10 more times. *The problem isn't Cavendish's win the problem is
> that running the 2011 10 more times would probably result in the same
> outcome every time. *Cycling is getting god damn embarrassing.

They didn't even need radios to make it predictable, it was that
predictable.

Simply Fred
September 27th 11, 10:54 AM

atriage wrote:
> I always thought his 'talent' was overrated, I never saw him take out
> more than ten riders in a single crash.

That would have been sufficient to take out the entire British leadout
and some of the Aussies too.

Uncle Dave
September 27th 11, 11:59 AM
On Sep 27, 10:54*am, Simply Fred > wrote:
> Simply Fred wrote:
> >> The sprint would have been a lot more fun for neutrals if Abdoujaparov
> >> was still
> >> around.
> atriage wrote:
> > I always thought his 'talent' was overrated, I never saw him take out
> > more than ten riders in a single crash.
>
> That would have been sufficient to take out the entire British leadout
> and some of the Aussies too.

He was a class act though wasn't he? He never had a team built around
him - I don't even recall that he had a decent lead out man - but he
was always in at the death. Almost literally on occasion ;-)

UD

Uncle Dave
September 27th 11, 12:00 PM
On Sep 26, 9:17*pm, atriage > wrote:
> On 26/09/2011 20:01, Randall wrote:
>
> > I was very disappointed by the race. The US had a very weak team. The
> > Italians only entered 2 or 3 riders. part of the problem``is that the
> > worlds course is always criterium. This takes away from the race.
>
> I gotta hand it to you Randall, when it comes to talking complete **** you're
> the king.

I would have thought the US team was as strong as it's ever been,
particularly with that course. God knows where he gets the idea about
the 2 or 3 Italians from...

UD

Uncle Dave
September 27th 11, 12:02 PM
On Sep 26, 8:27*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Uncle Dave > wrote:

> > > Careful, Anton, you're admiring Lance there. And IMS, you "don't like
> > > Lance", either.
>
> > > What was that expression you used IRT Cavendish's sprints-- handed
> > > something on a platter, or something?
>
> > > Not the case yesterday. A team ride that will be remembered in support
> > > of Cavendish, and then he showed his sprinting abilities-- which
> > > include being able to launch off the front of a very fast train, or
> > > get close and make it happen by himself, from out of a scrum.
>
> > > You don't have to admire the person, just the deeds.
>
> > Despite his being a Brit, I'd always seen him as something of a Cipo -
> > all gas and nothing much else - but the way he got himself into
> > position after losing his train was very impressive. *I might even
> > become a fan.
>
> Milan-San Remo 2009 was not a clue?

I missed that. God knows why, I'm usually glued to the classics...

UD

atriage[_6_]
September 27th 11, 01:12 PM
On 27/09/2011 10:54, Simply Fred wrote:
> Simply Fred wrote:
>>> The sprint would have been a lot more fun for neutrals if Abdoujaparov
>>> was still
>>> around.
>
> atriage wrote:
>> I always thought his 'talent' was overrated, I never saw him take out
>> more than ten riders in a single crash.
>
> That would have been sufficient to take out the entire British leadout and some
> of the Aussies too.

Not to mention a German or two. :)

--

atriage[_6_]
September 27th 11, 01:16 PM
On 27/09/2011 11:59, Uncle Dave wrote:
>> atriage wrote:
>>> I always thought his 'talent' was overrated, I never saw him take out
>>> more than ten riders in a single crash.
>>
>> That would have been sufficient to take out the entire British leadout
>> and some of the Aussies too.
>
> He was a class act though wasn't he? He never had a team built around
> him - I don't even recall that he had a decent lead out man - but he
> was always in at the death. Almost literally on occasion ;-)

I certainly never heard anyone criticize him for lack of commitment, even when
he was bouncing along the ground after a big time stack he looked as if he was
still trying to get to the line first.

--

William R. Mattil
September 27th 11, 04:16 PM
On 9/26/2011 4:40 PM, RicodJour wrote:

> When was the last triathlon that had a 160 mile bike leg? The
> difference between 100 and 160 is substantial...almost 60!

Mathematically challenged there Sparky ?

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com

RicodJour[_2_]
September 27th 11, 05:01 PM
On Sep 27, 11:16*am, "William R. Mattil" >
wrote:
> On 9/26/2011 4:40 PM, RicodJour wrote:
>
> > When was the last triathlon that had a 160 mile bike leg? *The
> > difference between 100 and 160 is substantial...almost 60!
>
> Mathematically challenged there Sparky ?

I dunno, Bill - are you humor-impaired? :)~

As far as the math thing, the only reason that races are listed in
kilometers instead of miles is due to anti-Imperialist forces at work
in the UCI and other elitist anti-elitist organizations. It's a well
known fact. So when I list a race in miles, I am converting from the
metric (socialist math if there ever were one), and the rounding error
explains the 'almost'.

atriage[_6_]
September 27th 11, 05:39 PM
On 27/09/2011 03:03, --D-y wrote:

>> The problem isn't Cavendish's win
>
> Oh yes it is, Anton! Come on, 'fess up...

Come on Anton we're waiting, everyone knows what *your* problem is, fess up and
you'll feel much better.

Mike Jacoubowsky
September 27th 11, 06:12 PM

=======
If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
****ing saunter you stupid ****. 45 kph ain't **** - there are
triathletes out there that can do that all alone.
=======

Oh. Were you in there somewhere? I didn't notice. In the past, to be in
the Worlds, you had to be one of the few very best riders in your
country. In the past, the weakest climber/strongest sprinter would blow
any of us away on our local "HC" climb that we're so proud of. So to
blow riders off the back in the Worlds takes some doing. That was... in
the past.

When did it change?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

--D-y
September 28th 11, 03:04 AM
On Sep 27, 12:12*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" >
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" > wrote in message

> On Sep 26, 6:49 am, atriage > wrote:> On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > > In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>
> > > Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
> > > gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>
> > The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race.
> > If you
> > think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or
> > alternatively
> > a complete and utter tosser.
>
> > --
>
> =======
> If the course is so god damn easy they can all ride together - it's a
> ****ing saunter you stupid ****. *45 kph ain't **** - there are
> triathletes out there that can do that all alone.
> =======
>
> Oh. Were you in there somewhere? I didn't notice. In the past, to be in
> the Worlds, you had to be one of the few very best riders in your
> country. In the past, the weakest climber/strongest sprinter would blow
> any of us away on our local "HC" climb that we're so proud of. So to
> blow riders off the back in the Worlds takes some doing. That was... in
> the past.
>
> When did it change?

Right after Cavendish won?

Not to mention, I remember seeing the average speed for Worlds RR in
Colorado Springs, USA in 1986.
Not all that fast. That was a miserable cold wet day, where the day(s)
before had been bright and sunny.
The men didn't go that much faster than the women did (of course, the
men went further) but what was noteworthy was the combat occurring
among members of the bunch, which I saw from very close, on a climb on
the backside of the course. Sean Kelly fighting to keep his place is
the image I remember best, and fighting is not an exaggeration. "It's
not all about speed".
--D-y

Mike Jacoubowsky
September 28th 11, 05:16 AM
>> Oh. Were you in there somewhere? I didn't notice. In the past, to be
>> in
>> the Worlds, you had to be one of the few very best riders in your
>> country. In the past, the weakest climber/strongest sprinter would
>> blow
>> any of us away on our local "HC" climb that we're so proud of. So to
>> blow riders off the back in the Worlds takes some doing. That was...
>> in
>> the past.
>>
>> When did it change?
>
> Right after Cavendish won?
>
> Not to mention, I remember seeing the average speed for Worlds RR in
> Colorado Springs, USA in 1986.
> Not all that fast. That was a miserable cold wet day, where the day(s)
> before had been bright and sunny.
> The men didn't go that much faster than the women did (of course, the
> men went further) but what was noteworthy was the combat occurring
> among members of the bunch, which I saw from very close, on a climb on
> the backside of the course. Sean Kelly fighting to keep his place is
> the image I remember best, and fighting is not an exaggeration. "It's
> not all about speed".
> --D-y

You got a better view than I did! You're right about the weather, aside
from the daily 4pm thunderstorm that rolled in. I was at the velodrome
when everything got blown over & tossed. Was Eki really really really
young then, or really old now?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky
September 28th 11, 05:53 AM
Anton Berlin wrote:
> It wouldn't be the first time 9 contenders speculate disaster of
> coming 2nd while a doubtful takes advantage. A lot of road races like
> the LA one mentioned here would have a different outcome each time if
> run 10 more times. The problem isn't Cavendish's win the problem is
> that running the 2011 10 more times would probably result in the same
> outcome every time. Cycling is getting god damn embarrassing.

That's what team radio has done to the sport. Everybody knows that.

Oh. Right.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky
September 28th 11, 06:13 AM
Simply Fred wrote:
> Anton Berlin wrote:
>> In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.
>>
>> Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
>> gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.
>>
>> No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
>> limit sign.
>
> The sprint would have been a lot more fun for neutrals if Abdoujaparov
> was still around.

Or Graeme Brown.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

--D-y
September 28th 11, 02:42 PM
On Sep 27, 11:16*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" >
wrote:
> >> Oh. Were you in there somewhere? I didn't notice. In the past, to be
> >> in
> >> the Worlds, you had to be one of the few very best riders in your
> >> country. In the past, the weakest climber/strongest sprinter would
> >> blow
> >> any of us away on our local "HC" climb that we're so proud of. So to
> >> blow riders off the back in the Worlds takes some doing. That was...
> >> in
> >> the past.
>
> >> When did it change?
>
> > Right after Cavendish won?
>
> > Not to mention, I remember seeing the average speed for Worlds RR in
> > Colorado Springs, USA in 1986.
> > Not all that fast. That was a miserable cold wet day, where the day(s)
> > before had been bright and sunny.
> > The men didn't go that much faster than the women did (of course, the
> > men went further) but what was noteworthy was the combat occurring
> > among members of the bunch, which I saw from very close, on a climb on
> > the backside of the course. Sean Kelly fighting to keep his place is
> > the image I remember best, and fighting is not an exaggeration. "It's
> > not all about speed".
> > --D-y
>
> You got a better view than I did! You're right about the weather, aside
> from the daily 4pm thunderstorm that rolled in. I was at the velodrome
> when everything got blown over & tossed. Was Eki really really really
> young then, or really old now?

Lessee... 2011 minus 1986 = um, young then, old (in Cyclist Years) now
<g>.
I didn't understand what they were fighting over at the time. Duh,
maybe they were just trying to stay somewhere in the middle of the
pack, to try to stay warm?
Very glad I'd had Colorado living experience, although coming from
Texas, and brought my winter clothing, including heavy down jacket,
long johns, gloves, etc.
Many didn't. (Huddled masses, yearning to be warmer. And dry.)
One of the Mexican team helpers tried to get me to "loan" him my
gloves when we walked by the pits. Sorry, amigo, I only have the one
pair...

I got to see Laurent Fignon (RIP) fly through that corner at the top
of the hill where other, much slower riders were falling, pulling the
pack along in a vain attempt to get something going, and catch
Argentin and Motet. He took a very different line through there...
Pretty good for a guy with glasses and a ponytail (referring obliquely
to your "what happens when the big boys show up", earlier).
--D-y

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home