PDA

View Full Version : dunlop

F Murtz[_2_]
October 6th 11, 12:45 PM
wots a Dunlop expedition? I found one. Is it a piece of junk.?

Patrick
October 6th 11, 11:01 PM
On 6/10/2011 10:45 PM, F Murtz wrote:
> Dunlop expedition

Most recent one sold on Ebay which looked in pretty good condition went
for around $60.

It is a low end steel MTB, hardly worthy of the name MTB. OK for riding
to the shops if you don't go too hard.

F Murtz[_2_]
October 7th 11, 03:17 AM
Patrick wrote:
> On 6/10/2011 10:45 PM, F Murtz wrote:
>> Dunlop expedition
>
> Most recent one sold on Ebay which looked in pretty good condition went
> for around $60.
>
> It is a low end steel MTB, hardly worthy of the name MTB. OK for riding
> to the shops if you don't go too hard.
probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
for rusty chain.

Phil H[_2_]
October 9th 11, 08:03 AM
On Oct 7, 1:17*pm, F Murtz > wrote:

> probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
> for rusty chain.

It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
don't want them.

After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

-- Phil

tomasso
October 9th 11, 11:31 PM
Phil H wrote:
> On Oct 7, 1:17 pm, F Murtz > wrote:
>
>> probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
>> for rusty chain.
>
> It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
> the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
> Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
> they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
> don't want them.
>
> After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
> what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
> working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
> just be the council hauling them off to the tip.
>

> -- Phil

Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.

T.

terryc
October 9th 11, 11:52 PM
Phil H wrote:
> Than again, it could
> just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

Around here it is scrap metal collectors.

F Murtz[_2_]
October 10th 11, 01:46 AM
Phil H wrote:
> On Oct 7, 1:17 pm, F > wrote:
>
>> probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
>> for rusty chain.
>
> It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
> the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
> Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
> they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
> don't want them.
>
> After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
> what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
> working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
> just be the council hauling them off to the tip.
>

> -- Phil
This was at the tip (dumped just before I arrived)I asked tip operator
if I could take it.

Phil H[_2_]
October 10th 11, 05:33 AM
On Oct 10, 9:31*am, "tomasso" > wrote:

> Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.

Do they collect the wrecks off the street?

And what about that hideous purple bike chained to a tree in front of
the Lord Wolsley? It was there for months. I was surprised it lasted
as long as it did. (Mental note: nobody steals purple bikes.)

-- Phil

tomasso
October 10th 11, 06:08 AM
Phil H wrote:
> On Oct 10, 9:31 am, "tomasso" > wrote:
>
>> Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.
>
> Do they collect the wrecks off the street?
>
> And what about that hideous purple bike chained to a tree in front of
> the Lord Wolsley? It was there for months. I was surprised it lasted
> as long as it did. (Mental note: nobody steals purple bikes.)

No, they collect bikes from the dump, if cleant them up not too bad, and put
a sign on it with a phone number (and a modest price), chained to a light post
outside the Council Depot on Bay St. That's a form of recycling. Someone
probably makes a few bucks a week.

Don't know if council remove hideous orphan frames (like outside out local).

I can find out if it happens in the country. Brother works at one of the councils
(surveying and designing cycle paths - somewhat better than CBD, me thinks).

Cheers, T.

Rob
October 10th 11, 09:12 AM
On 10/10/2011 9:52 AM, terryc wrote:
> Phil H wrote:
>> Than again, it could
>> just be the council hauling them off to the tip.
>
> Around here it is scrap metal collectors.

This was happening when the bi annual cleanup was on its since changed.
Scrappies came first for about 2 week prior pulled all the metal out
left a mess then council came to remove the remainder (only taking it if
correctly bundled.) There has been mess piles left which council will
not remove.

I tell the scrappies to either take the lot or leave it or I report them.

Krypsis
October 10th 11, 12:37 PM
On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Rob wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 9:52 AM, terryc wrote:
>> Phil H wrote:
>>> Than again, it could
>>> just be the council hauling them off to the tip.
>>
>> Around here it is scrap metal collectors.
>
> This was happening when the bi annual cleanup was on its since changed.
> Scrappies came first for about 2 week prior pulled all the metal out
> left a mess then council came to remove the remainder (only taking it if
> correctly bundled.) There has been mess piles left which council will
> not remove.
>
> I tell the scrappies to either take the lot or leave it or I report them.

I had a Volvo driving scrappie dismantling a monitor I had out on the
hard waste collection. He is well known for spreading bits all over,
then breaking off the neck of the tube to retrieve the copper wire in
the deflection yoke. I told him to either take the lot or leave it
alone. I didn't threaten to report him, the menace of the iron bar I was
holding was sufficient inducement for him to decide to take the whole
monitor.
He hasn't been seen around here since!

--

Krypsis

terryc
October 10th 11, 02:33 PM
Krypsis wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Rob wrote:
>>>
>>> Around here it is scrap metal collectors.
>>
>> This was happening when the bi annual cleanup was on its since changed.
>> Scrappies came first for about 2 week prior pulled all the metal out
>> left a mess then council came to remove the remainder (only taking it if
>> correctly bundled.) There has been mess piles left which council will
>> not remove.
>>
>> I tell the scrappies to either take the lot or leave it or I report them.
>
> I had a Volvo driving scrappie dismantling a monitor I had out on the
> hard waste collection. He is well known for spreading bits all over,
> then breaking off the neck of the tube to retrieve the copper wire in
> the deflection yoke. I told him to either take the lot or leave it
> alone. I didn't threaten to report him, the menace of the iron bar I was
> holding was sufficient inducement for him to decide to take the whole
> monitor.
> He hasn't been seen around here since!

One day I'm collecting some old hardware from a mate to do a little
re-use myself, when he asked me to give h a hand to shift about 25
monitors to the kerbsie(his council has (bi-)annual clean up days. I
asked if council would take them and he said " they will go before
council comes around". Sure enough we had no sooner dumpd the last one
and walked inside and a truck pulled up and collected the lot whole.

Different stlye in our area as you get four free pickups a year. uusally
he instruction is to put your stuff out Sunday evening for collection
that week. By monday morning most piles have been ratted for anything
with metal in it.

The local scrap yard has no dea how these guys make a living given the
amount of driving they must do. Born out by hardly seeing the same truck
& driver for long, except in one case where all members of the family
have mobile jobs and can spot stuff during their paid work.

tomasso
October 10th 11, 11:15 PM
tomasso wrote:
> Phil H wrote:
>> On Oct 10, 9:31 am, "tomasso" > wrote:
>>
>>> Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.
>>
>> Do they collect the wrecks off the street?
>>
>> And what about that hideous purple bike chained to a tree in front of
>> the Lord Wolsley? It was there for months. I was surprised it lasted
>> as long as it did. (Mental note: nobody steals purple bikes.)
>
> No, they collect bikes from the dump, if cleant them up not too bad, and put
> a sign on it with a phone number (and a modest price), chained to a light post
> outside the Council Depot on Bay St. That's a form of recycling. Someone
> probably makes a few bucks a week.
>
> Don't know if council remove hideous orphan frames (like outside out local).
>
> I can find out if it happens in the country. Brother works at one of the councils
> (surveying and designing cycle paths - somewhat better than CBD, me thinks).

His comment is that a council would probably not take a chained up bike unless
there was some sign of abandonment and that being chained up would
probably be taken as a sign of ownership.

Secondly unless it was brought to the council's attention they would probably
not do anything. Similar situation for abandoned cars.

But this may vary from council to council...

T.

Phil H[_2_]
October 11th 11, 02:47 AM
On Oct 11, 9:15*am, "tomasso" > wrote:

> His comment is that a council would probably not take a chained up bike unless
> there was some sign of abandonment and that being chained up would
> probably be taken as a sign of ownership.

That just makes me wonder what constitutes a "sign of abandonment".
I've seen bikes this bad:

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/05/2011527-Felder-11.jpg

> Secondly unless it was brought to the council's attention they would probably
> not do anything. Similar situation for abandoned cars.

Fair enough, I suppose, although I think if a car is parked illegally
they might move a bit faster. I know that when backpackers dump their
cars around Ultimo, they seem to acquire a "move this or get towed"
sticker fairly quickly. However, this is no doubt Sydney Council
looking to maintain its parking revenue.

-- Phil

TimC[_2_]
October 11th 11, 02:56 AM
On 2011-10-11, Phil H (aka Bruce)
> On Oct 11, 9:15Â*am, "tomasso" > wrote:
>
>> His comment is that a council would probably not take a chained up bike unless
>> there was some sign of abandonment and that being chained up would
>> probably be taken as a sign of ownership.
>
> That just makes me wonder what constitutes a "sign of abandonment".
> I've seen bikes this bad:
>
> http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/05/2011527-Felder-11.jpg

That rack still looks good. It's not dead yet, Jim!

--
TimC
Yay! I have found the last bug bug bug bug bug bug bug

tomasso
October 11th 11, 05:09 AM
Phil H wrote:
> On Oct 11, 9:15 am, "tomasso" > wrote:
>
>> His comment is that a council would probably not take a chained up bike unless
>> there was some sign of abandonment and that being chained up would
>> probably be taken as a sign of ownership.
>
> That just makes me wonder what constitutes a "sign of abandonment".
> I've seen bikes this bad:
>
> http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/05/2011527-Felder-11.jpg

I'd say that was abandoned, but the Kryptonite lock might be a challenge
for the council.

>> Secondly unless it was brought to the council's attention they would probably
>> not do anything. Similar situation for abandoned cars.
>
> Fair enough, I suppose, although I think if a car is parked illegally
> they might move a bit faster. I know that when backpackers dump their
> cars around Ultimo, they seem to acquire a "move this or get towed"
> sticker fairly quickly. However, this is no doubt Sydney Council
> looking to maintain its parking revenue.

I think it might be my next door neighbour ringing up council. Parking is
tight around here (and the neighbour has a garage)...

T.

TimC[_2_]
October 12th 11, 11:13 AM
On 2011-10-09, Phil H (aka Bruce)
> On Oct 7, 1:17Â*pm, F Murtz > wrote:
>
>> probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
>> for rusty chain.
>
> It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
> the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
> Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
> they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
> don't want them.

In related news, apparently it's mostly "mountain bikes" that aren't
properly lit at night:

http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/91803/

Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes" are
ridden by fools who don't want to part with their $30 for a set of
lights?

--
TimC
[T]he claim that brits drink warm beer because we have Lucas

Zebee Johnstone
October 13th 11, 02:24 AM
In aus.bicycle on Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:13:43 +1100
TimC > wrote:

> In related news, apparently it's mostly "mountain bikes" that aren't
> properly lit at night:
>
> http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/91803/

33% of those without lights and 17% of those with lights rode mountain
bikes.

so 67% of those without lights were not riding mountain bikes....

Can't tell a thing without total population really. Not to mention
"what is a mountain bike". Flat bar bike?

(Not that I disagree with the general idea that cheap bikes are ridden
by cheap people.)

Easy way to fix it is require bikes to be sold with lights, I believe
they do that in Germany.

(For more fun, mandate hub dynamos on road bikes.... watch the weight
weenies explode!)

Zebee

thefathippy
October 13th 11, 02:33 AM
On Oct 12, 9:13*pm, TimC -spam-accepted-
here.org> wrote:
> On 2011-10-09, Phil H (aka Bruce)
> * was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> > On Oct 7, 1:17*pm, F Murtz > wrote:
>
> >> probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
> >> for rusty chain.
>
> > It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
> > the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
> > Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
> > they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
> > don't want them.
>
> In related news, apparently it's mostly "mountain bikes" that aren't
> properly lit at night:
>
> http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/91803/
>
> Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes" are
> ridden by fools who don't want to part with their $30 for a set of
> lights?

Aren't mtbs the biggest sellers (here I include mtb *style* bikes, as
sold in supermarkets)? If so, I'd expect they'd also have the most
unlit riders. If roadies were the biggest sellers, I'd expect them to
have the largest numbers of unlit riders.

And as for hub dynamos - bah! ;^P Give me my battery powered Ayup LED
lights any day ...err. night... (much more than $30, though).

Tony F

Zebee Johnstone
October 13th 11, 03:07 AM
In aus.bicycle on Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:33:58 -0700 (PDT)
thefathippy > wrote:

> And as for hub dynamos - bah! ;^P Give me my battery powered Ayup LED
> lights any day ...err. night... (much more than $30, though).

My SON hub and IQ Fly give me the same as my friend's AYUP give him.
Except I don't have to remember to charge the battery....

The Shimamo on the Brom is powering a halogen light which is a bit
on the woeful side but is good enough for street commuting which is
what it does. I will eventually get an LED for it, but not till the
bulb blows.

I"m well over faffing about with batteries.

Zebee

Moike
October 14th 11, 01:07 AM
On 13/10/2011 12:24 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> (Not that I disagree with the general idea that cheap bikes are ridden
> by cheap people.)

Oi! I resemble that remark.

I hold to the belief that an inexpensive bike, properly serviced and
maintained can give away very little to something costing hundreds more,
in terms of ridability and longevity.

Setting up a new cycle computer this morning ($17 Aldi special) I
noticed that the odometer on the old computer on my $80 GVBR blue bike
is showing 6321 ks. OK, I've added a $50 seat, and $80 tyres and a $50
set of levers, but it's still going strong, and will take me through the
Great Vic ride again this year.

I might take the orange ex-Aust-Post panniers off first....

BTW Since I don't ride at night much, I didn't bother with the $30
superbright rechargable LED headlight (with helmet and handlebar
fittings) on offer at Aldi.

Moike

Zebee Johnstone
October 14th 11, 02:24 AM
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:07:24 +1100
Moike > wrote:

> BTW Since I don't ride at night much, I didn't bother with the $30
^^^^^
> superbright rechargable LED headlight (with helmet and handlebar
> fittings) on offer at Aldi.

People with cheap bikes don't use lights.... Wow, the study is right!

Zebee

Dave Hughes
October 14th 11, 09:39 AM
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:13:43 +1100, TimC wrote:

> Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes" are
> ridden by fools who don't want to part with their $30 for a set of
> lights?

Tell them about DX and they won't want to part with $3 for a set of
lights. My commuter has homebrew lights, but they're cheap and light
enough to leave on the bike for those times when I get caught out, and
bright enough to not particularly care. Li-Ion batteries are cheap and
easy enough to not worry too much as well.

<insert reply from Zebee praising dyno lights here>

--
Dave Hughes -
I still can't see a wasp without thinking "400K 1W"

Zebee Johnstone
October 14th 11, 08:03 PM
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:39:45 +1100
Dave Hughes > wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:13:43 +1100, TimC wrote:
>
>> Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes" are
>> ridden by fools who don't want to part with their $30 for a set of
>> lights?
>
> Tell them about DX and they won't want to part with $3 for a set of
> lights. My commuter has homebrew lights, but they're cheap and light
> enough to leave on the bike for those times when I get caught out, and
> bright enough to not particularly care. Li-Ion batteries are cheap and
> easy enough to not worry too much as well.
>
><insert reply from Zebee praising dyno lights here>

I don't need to, you just did!

Zebee

thefathippy
October 24th 11, 02:20 AM
On Oct 13, 1:07*pm, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:33:58 -0700 (PDT)
>
> thefathippy > wrote:
>
> > And as for hub dynamos - bah! ;^P Give me my battery powered Ayup LED
> > lights any day ...err. night... (much more than $30, though).
>
> My SON hub and IQ Fly give me the same as my friend's AYUP give him.
> Except I don't have to remember to charge the battery.... *
>
> The Shimamo on the Brom is powering a halogen light which is a bit
> on the woeful side but is good enough for street commuting which is
> what it does. *I will eventually get an LED for it, but not till the
> bulb blows. *
>
> I"m well over faffing about with batteries.
>
> Zebee

hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
done faffing about with dynamos!

To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills, and
blowing bulbs going downhills. I would have brilliant light for a
poofteenth of a second, then blackness. ;^)

Tony F

Zebee Johnstone
October 24th 11, 02:48 AM
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:20:33 -0700 (PDT)
thefathippy > wrote:

> hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
> done faffing about with dynamos!

Bottle dynamos suck as far as I can tell, but modern hub dynos and LED
lights are brilliant.

I'm just way too lazy to bother with batteries. My lights are bolted
to the bike and Just Work.

I do have a secondary flasher and forgot to remove it the other day,
meaning it got nicked. Was most annoyed about that.

Zebee

terryc
October 24th 11, 02:49 AM
thefathippy wrote:

> hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
> done faffing about with dynamos!
>
> To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
> but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills,
BTDT

> and blowing bulbs going downhills.

Zener diodes.
Some of the better lights actually had them built in.

Zebee Johnstone
October 24th 11, 03:00 AM
In aus.bicycle on Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:49:45 +1100
terryc > wrote:
> thefathippy wrote:
>
>> hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
>> done faffing about with dynamos!
>>
>> To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
>> but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills,
> BTDT
>
>> and blowing bulbs going downhills.
>
> Zener diodes.
> Some of the better lights actually had them built in.

Nowadays the dynamos have appropriate protection I believe. at least
the hub ones.

The SON on the 'bent gets full brightness at about walking speed and
showed no sign of blowing anything at 60kmh. I only got that fast
once with a halogen in, the LEDs of course don't care at all.

The Shimano on the Brom hasn't had to do more than about 20kmh, it's a
shopping trolley and station bike, who needs speed?

I pondered battery lights for it, and was using cheap ones, but got
sick of faffing about with them when folding. As a wheel with hub
dynamo built in, and a light seti (although halogen not LED), was
a bit over A$120 landed, I went for it. Still much more expensive
than AA/AAA battery lights, but in the realm of similarly bright
rechargeable packs.

Zebee

TimC[_2_]
October 24th 11, 12:42 PM
On 2011-10-24, terryc (aka Bruce)
> thefathippy wrote:
>
>> hehe - I went with batteries (and making my own lightsets) after being
>> done faffing about with dynamos!
>>
>> To be fair, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they're better now,
>> but I was getting less light than a burnt match going uphills,
> BTDT
>
>> and blowing bulbs going downhills.
>
> Zener diodes.
> Some of the better lights actually had them built in.

Which was what partly sucked about older dynamos. The reason they
sucked so much kinetic energy out of the system was because the faster
you went, the more the zener had to sink. Mind you, it eventually
blows too.

I'm sure the new ones would be switchmode current supplies.

--
TimC
Some of us here are sysadmins, and network admins, and even Windows

November 3rd 11, 08:26 AM
TimC wrote:
> Hands up those who are surprised that cheap kmart "mountain bikes"

Bike snob!

BTH

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home