PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Beijing

RicodJour[_2_]
October 8th 11, 10:45 PM
The smog is mind boggling. I'm wheezing just watching it on the
tube. Then Phil says, "The bit of mist you see is misleading - it's
really a very nice day." Hoo boy.

How can the UCI require the riders to ride in such abysmal conditions
that are quite clearly injurious to health? What about all of that
vaunted EU worker's rights stuff?

On another note - there's a Chinese rider, Wang (hope that clears THAT
up), #186, who has an absolutely beautiful pedal stroke. He won most
aggressive. Reminded me of videos I've seen of Anquetil.

--D-y
October 8th 11, 11:26 PM
On Oct 8, 4:45*pm, RicodJour > wrote:

> How can the UCI require the riders to ride in such abysmal conditions [smog]
> that are quite clearly injurious to health?

The same way they've been requiring riders to ride doped to the gills
with EPO, HGH, Clenbuterol, etc. etc. etc. all these years?
--D-y

Peter Howard[_3_]
October 9th 11, 12:35 AM
RicodJour wrote:
> The smog is mind boggling. I'm wheezing just watching it on the
> tube. Then Phil says, "The bit of mist you see is misleading - it's
> really a very nice day." Hoo boy.
>
> How can the UCI require the riders to ride in such abysmal conditions
> that are quite clearly injurious to health? What about all of that
> vaunted EU worker's rights stuff?
>
> On another note - there's a Chinese rider, Wang (hope that clears THAT
> up), #186, who has an absolutely beautiful pedal stroke. He won most
> aggressive. Reminded me of videos I've seen of Anquetil.

On yet another note, I find the absence of spectators quite spooky. On a Stage
Three mountain summit I saw hundreds of metres of roadside barriers and the
inflatable arch over the road at the top just like we see at the European tours.
But there were no people apart from what looked like three policeman and two
race officials at the top. Where there are a few people they are lined up at
attention in single ranks behind a strand of bunting and they clap politely.
Don't know what the riders think. Do they miss the roar of the crowds or are
they grateful for the absence of drunken young men running all over the road? I
guess that (a) recreational cycling isn't big in China (b) not many people have
cars to drive up to a windswept mountain top and watch a bike race go by.
ph

RicodJour[_2_]
October 9th 11, 12:58 AM
On Oct 8, 7:35*pm, "Peter Howard" > wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > The smog is mind boggling. *I'm wheezing just watching it on the
> > tube. *Then Phil says, "The bit of mist you see is misleading - it's
> > really a very nice day." *Hoo boy.
>
> > How can the UCI require the riders to ride in such abysmal conditions
> > that are quite clearly injurious to health? *What about all of that
> > vaunted EU worker's rights stuff?
>
> > On another note - there's a Chinese rider, Wang (hope that clears THAT
> > up), #186, who has an absolutely beautiful pedal stroke. *He won most
> > aggressive. *Reminded me of videos I've seen of Anquetil.

> On yet another note, I find the absence of spectators quite spooky. On a Stage
> Three mountain summit I saw hundreds of metres of roadside barriers and the
> inflatable arch over the road at the top just like we see at the European tours.
> But there were no people apart from what looked like three policeman and two
> race officials at the top. Where there are a few people they are lined up at
> attention in single ranks behind a strand of bunting and they clap politely.
> Don't know what the riders think. Do they miss the roar of the crowds or are
> they grateful for the absence of drunken young men running all over the road? I
> guess that (a) recreational cycling isn't big in China (b) not many people have
> cars to drive up to a windswept mountain top and watch a bike race go by.

Today's stage was fairly well attended. McQuaid said that the roads
are closed 4 hours before the race rolls through...maybe they were
just waiting to get to the other side. ;)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home