PDA

View Full Version : Landis convicted of h4x0r1ng

Jason Spaceman[_2_]
November 10th 11, 05:05 PM
From the article:
A French court convicted American cyclist Floyd Landis in absentia on
Thursday for his role in hacking into the computers of a French doping
lab.

Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping,
was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence by the court in
Nanterre, west of Paris. That was six months less than a state
prosecutor had sought.

Read it at http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2011/11/10/sp-uci-landis.html

J. Spaceman

atriage[_6_]
November 10th 11, 05:11 PM
On 10/11/2011 17:05, Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> A French court convicted American cyclist Floyd Landis in absentia on
> Thursday for his role in hacking into the computers of a French doping
> lab.
>
> Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping,
> was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence by the court in
> Nanterre, west of Paris. That was six months less than a state
> prosecutor had sought.
>
> Read it at http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2011/11/10/sp-uci-landis.html

Hereafter known as l33t Landis.

RicodJour[_2_]
November 10th 11, 07:06 PM
On Nov 10, 12:11*pm, atriage > wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 17:05, Jason Spaceman wrote:
>

> > *From the article:
> > A French court convicted American cyclist Floyd Landis in absentia on
> > Thursday for his role in hacking into the computers of a French doping
> > lab.
>
> > Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping,
> > was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence by the court in
> > Nanterre, west of Paris. That was six months less than a state
> > prosecutor had sought.
>
> > Read it athttp://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2011/11/10/sp-uci-landis.html
>
> Hereafter known as l33t Landis.

aka the pwned pedaler

Steve Freides[_2_]
November 13th 11, 02:15 PM
Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> A French court convicted American cyclist Floyd Landis in absentia on
> Thursday for his role in hacking into the computers of a French doping
> lab.
>
> Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping,
> was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence by the court in
> Nanterre, west of Paris. That was six months less than a state
> prosecutor had sought.
>
> Read it at
> http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2011/11/10/sp-uci-landis.html
>

> J. Spaceman

What exactly is a "suspended sentence?" Does it mean that he doesn't
have to serve it as long as he behaves himself, or that he'd be arrested
and have to serve it as soon as he sets foot in France, or what? I
confess to never having understood what this means.

-S-

RicodJour[_2_]
November 13th 11, 04:11 PM
On Nov 13, 9:15 am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:

> What exactly is a "suspended sentence?" Does it mean that he doesn't
> have to serve it as long as he behaves himself, or that he'd be arrested
> and have to serve it as soon as he sets foot in France, or what? I
> confess to never having understood what this means.

Ummm, we're talking about France. They go biblical in their
punishments.
Example of a French suspended sentence:
http://pirates.hegewisch.net/chains.gif

atriage[_6_]
November 13th 11, 04:40 PM
On 13/11/2011 16:11, RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 13, 9:15 am, "Steve > wrote:
>>
>> What exactly is a "suspended sentence?" Does it mean that he doesn't
>> have to serve it as long as he behaves himself, or that he'd be arrested
>> and have to serve it as soon as he sets foot in France, or what? I
>> confess to never having understood what this means.
>
> Ummm, we're talking about France. They go biblical in their
> punishments.
> Example of a French suspended sentence:
> http://pirates.hegewisch.net/chains.gif

I bet Sicard wishes he hadn't stolen that traffic cone now.

--

Davey Crockett[_5_]
November 13th 11, 05:02 PM
atriage a écrit profondement:

| On 13/11/2011 16:11, RicodJour wrote:
| > On Nov 13, 9:15 am, "Steve > wrote:
| >>
| >> What exactly is a "suspended sentence?" Does it mean that he doesn't
| >> have to serve it as long as he behaves himself, or that he'd be arrested
| >> and have to serve it as soon as he sets foot in France, or what? I
| >> confess to never having understood what this means.
| >
| > Ummm, we're talking about France. They go biblical in their
| > punishments.
| > Example of a French suspended sentence:
| > http://pirates.hegewisch.net/chains.gif
| >

| I bet Sicard wishes he hadn't stolen that traffic cone now.

In France and many other both Common and Code Law countries, a
Suspended Sentence is a Judicial Prerogative which a judge has when
dealing with a felon convicted of a crime or offence.

An exception to this proceddure is when the Law provides a minimum
sentence for the crime.

The sentence is deferrred until a future time, possibly indefinitely,
dependant upon the convict's compliance with an interim
probation order.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying Lybia's flag in respect for the Murdered Gadaffi

atriage[_6_]
November 13th 11, 05:07 PM
On 13/11/2011 17:02, Davey Crockett wrote:
> atriage a écrit profondement:

> |> Ummm, we're talking about France. They go biblical in their
> |> punishments.
> |> Example of a French suspended sentence:
> |> http://pirates.hegewisch.net/chains.gif
> |>

> | I bet Sicard wishes he hadn't stolen that traffic cone now.
>
> In France and many other both Common and Code Law countries, a
> Suspended Sentence is a Judicial Prerogative which a judge has when
> dealing with a felon convicted of a crime or offence.
>
> An exception to this proceddure is when the Law provides a minimum
> sentence for the crime.
>
> The sentence is deferrred until a future time, possibly indefinitely,
> dependant upon the convict's compliance with an interim
> probation order.

The question that arises from this is 'Does Landis actually give a flying ****'
since the chances of him gracing la Belle France with his presence again are
somewhere between zero and none whatsoever.

--

Davey Crockett[_5_]
November 13th 11, 06:14 PM
atriage a écrit profondement:

| On 13/11/2011 17:02, Davey Crockett wrote:
| > atriage a écrit profondement:

| > | I bet Sicard wishes he hadn't stolen that traffic cone now.
| >
| > In France and many other both Common and Code Law countries, a
| > Suspended Sentence is a Judicial Prerogative which a judge has when
| > dealing with a felon convicted of a crime or offence.
| >
| > An exception to this proceddure is when the Law provides a minimum
| > sentence for the crime.
| >
| > The sentence is deferrred until a future time, possibly indefinitely,
| > dependant upon the convict's compliance with an interim
| > probation order.
| >

| The question that arises from this is 'Does Landis actually give a
| flying ****' since the chances of him gracing la Belle France with his
| presence again are somewhere between zero and none whatsoever.

Yes, he can go to France, I beleive, so long as he doesn't violate the
probation order, which could on the other hand state that he must not
visit France.

Again, I believe him to have been very poorly advised by his lawyers,
unless of course he ignored their advice. His best course of action
would have been to have stepped up front, admitted the pecadillo, taken
the 2 years vacation then carried on.

There's only one sure fire way to deal with bad news I have found in a
long life and that's to immediately step up fornt, deal with the matter,
mitigate it as much as possible, smile and carry on trucking.

He would be a much richer man today.

It never seriously hurt Vino who I saw regularly at UFOLEP/FSGT events
during his suspension since he lives not far down the road from me.

And in fact Landis was treated rather lightly. EDF (French Electrricity
Corp) got a Million and a Half Euro fine for the same offence.

Landis and his gang of co-crooks only have to anti up a total of 75,000
USD to AFLD.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

atriage[_6_]
November 13th 11, 06:36 PM
On 13/11/2011 18:14, Davey Crockett wrote:
> atriage a écrit profondement:

> |> In France and many other both Common and Code Law countries, a
> |> Suspended Sentence is a Judicial Prerogative which a judge has when
> |> dealing with a felon convicted of a crime or offence.
> |>
> |> An exception to this proceddure is when the Law provides a minimum
> |> sentence for the crime.
> |>
> |> The sentence is deferrred until a future time, possibly indefinitely,
> |> dependant upon the convict's compliance with an interim
> |> probation order.
> |>

> | The question that arises from this is 'Does Landis actually give a
> | flying ****' since the chances of him gracing la Belle France with his
> | presence again are somewhere between zero and none whatsoever.
>
> Yes, he can go to France, I believe...

Yeah but why would he want to? He won't be racing there ever again, he's a
native of a country that has all the nice scenery you can get in your boots and
a better winter climate if you go to the right places. There just isn't anything
for him in France now except possible problems with the la Loi. Plus I gather
he's about to become a fatty master.

Steve Freides[_2_]
November 13th 11, 09:23 PM
RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 13, 9:15 am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>>
>> What exactly is a "suspended sentence?" Does it mean that he doesn't
>> have to serve it as long as he behaves himself, or that he'd be
>> arrested and have to serve it as soon as he sets foot in France, or
>> what? I confess to never having understood what this means.
>
> Ummm, we're talking about France. They go biblical in their
> punishments.
> Example of a French suspended sentence:
> http://pirates.hegewisch.net/chains.gif

Now, now, you can't fool me - that's a suspended defendant.

No doubt someone will now take a picture of a sentence of printed
English (or other language), print it, tie the piece of paper on a
string, and hang it from the ceiling. Now _that_ would be a suspended
sentence.

-S-

Steve Freides[_2_]
November 13th 11, 09:26 PM
Davey Crockett wrote:
> atriage a écrit profondement:

>>> Ummm, we're talking about France. They go biblical in their
>>> punishments.
>>> Example of a French suspended sentence:
>>> http://pirates.hegewisch.net/chains.gif
>>>

>> I bet Sicard wishes he hadn't stolen that traffic cone now.
>
> In France and many other both Common and Code Law countries, a
> Suspended Sentence is a Judicial Prerogative which a judge has when
> dealing with a felon convicted of a crime or offence.
>
> An exception to this proceddure is when the Law provides a minimum
> sentence for the crime.
>
> The sentence is deferrred until a future time, possibly indefinitely,
> dependant upon the convict's compliance with an interim
> probation order.

An interim probation order, that all makes sense. He'll be on probation
for a while, and if he finishes that without incident, then he won't
have to serve the sentence; OTOH, if he violates his probation, then his
punishment will be to serve the no-longer-suspended sentence.

I am not a lawyer but I'm happy to have learned this little bit about
the way the law works today. Thanks very much.

-S-

Davey Crockett[_5_]
November 14th 11, 01:10 AM
"Steve Freides" a écrit profondement:

| Davey Crockett wrote:
| > In France and many other both Common and Code Law countries, a
| > Suspended Sentence is a Judicial Prerogative which a judge has when
| > dealing with a felon convicted of a crime or offence.
| >
| > An exception to this proceddure is when the Law provides a minimum
| > sentence for the crime.
| >
| > The sentence is deferrred until a future time, possibly indefinitely,
| > dependant upon the convict's compliance with an interim
| > probation order.

| An interim probation order, that all makes sense. He'll be on probation
| for a while, and if he finishes that without incident, then he won't
| have to serve the sentence; OTOH, if he violates his probation, then his
| punishment will be to serve the no-longer-suspended sentence.
>
| I am not a lawyer but I'm happy to have learned this little bit about
| the way the law works today. Thanks very much.

Well do be careful and consult the precise workings of Suspended
Sentences for your jurisdiction.

In some jurisdictions there are Suspended Execution Sentences
ie. The Miscreant is sentenced to 5 years Deferred

But some jurisdictions also have Deferred Imposition Sentences.
ie. No penalty/Jail time is stipulated at trial time, but if the Crook
violates the interim probation order, a judge can sentence the guy to
whatsoever range of penalties is called for in the act or law the felon
fell afoul of.

There's a difference insofar as a felon successfully completing the
probationary period under the Deferred Imposition Sentences. scheme will
not have a conviction recorded against him since non sentence was handed
down.

I've seen lots of these in many years practicing forensic accounting
which along with international taxation was my profession years ago.

Maybe Brian as a competent lawyer could elucidate a little more as I
really hadn't intended to get so involved.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English
The Flag of Hengest and Horsa
http://azurservers.com:7080/rbr/englishdragon.jpg

Simply Fred
November 14th 11, 09:16 AM
Davey Crockett wrote:
> In some jurisdictions there are Suspended Execution Sentences

Sounds like a euphemism for hanging.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home