PDA

View Full Version : Six Day Racing in NYC...? Oh Boy!

RicodJour[_2_]
November 10th 11, 09:48 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racings-return-to-nyc

"Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."

Uncle Dave
November 10th 11, 10:36 PM
On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racings-return-to-nyc
>
> "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
> Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
> unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
> place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
> medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
> early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
> 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."

Please keep us posted on this one. I used to be a big fan of Sixes and
promised myself I would go to see the Whitney's Hopper collection before
I die so...

UD

atriage[_6_]
November 10th 11, 10:39 PM
On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racings-return-to-nyc
>
> "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
> Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
> unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
> place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
> medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
> early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
> 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."

If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
much you'd appreciate that.

--

RicodJour[_2_]
November 11th 11, 05:30 AM
On Nov 10, 5:39*pm, atriage > wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...
>
> > "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
> > Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
> > unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
> > place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
> > medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
> > early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
> > 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
>
> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
> much you'd appreciate that.

Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
Security and have them take you off the no-fly list. Then you could
come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
instead of that swill you're drinking now.

RicodJour[_2_]
November 11th 11, 05:32 AM
On Nov 10, 5:36*pm, Uncle Dave > wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...
>
> > "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
> > Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
> > unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
> > place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
> > medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
> > early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
> > 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
>
> Please keep us posted on this one. *I used to be a big fan of Sixes and
> promised myself I would go to see the Whitney's Hopper collection before
> I die so...

I've seen a number of Dennis' movies and I don't know why they're
keeping you alive. ;)

I will certainly be crowing if they do pull off the six days, so don't
worry about me not posting about it.

Simply Fred
November 11th 11, 08:42 AM
RicodJour wrote:
> Then you could come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> instead of that swill you're drinking now.

Warm beer is cool.

atriage[_6_]
November 11th 11, 08:43 AM
On 11/11/2011 05:30, RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 10, 5:39 pm, > wrote:
>> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...
>>
>>> "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
>>> Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
>>> unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
>>> place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
>>> medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
>>> early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
>>> 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
>>
>> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
>> much you'd appreciate that.
>
> Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
> minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
> Security and have them take you off the no-fly list.

Would the fact that I'm a multiple axe-murderer matter?

> Then you could
> come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> instead of that swill you're drinking now.

You've got the wrong guy, I hate English traditional beers, it's cold
continental lagers for me. The Armory looks like an interesting building, how
the **** can something like that have stood empty since 96?
--

Uncle Dave
November 11th 11, 11:08 AM
On 11/11/2011 05:32, RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 10, 5:36 pm, Uncle > wrote:
>> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...
>>
>>> "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
>>> Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
>>> unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
>>> place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
>>> medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
>>> early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
>>> 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
>>
>> Please keep us posted on this one. I used to be a big fan of Sixes and
>> promised myself I would go to see the Whitney's Hopper collection before
>> I die so...
>
> I've seen a number of Dennis' movies and I don't know why they're
> keeping you alive. ;)

Oh, I like his stuff too.

UD

Uncle Dave
November 11th 11, 11:11 AM
On 11/11/2011 05:30, RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 10, 5:39 pm, > wrote:
>> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...
>>
>>> "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
>>> Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
>>> unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
>>> place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
>>> medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
>>> early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
>>> 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
>>
>> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
>> much you'd appreciate that.
>
> Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
> minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
> Security and have them take you off the no-fly list. Then you could
> come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> instead of that swill you're drinking now.

Ah, I doubt that very much. Most Sixes have a brewer as their main
sponsor and I doubt a foreign beer would have either the inclination or
money to put into something like that. Crap beer and Sixes - it's
tradition so expect Budweiser or Coors or some other undrinkable ****e
to be the only one available. At London Sixes in the Sixties and
Seventies it was Skol who were the main sponsors. Unfortunately for
them, most people who went were active cyclists or discerning beer
drinkers. It couldn't last.

UD

RicodJour[_2_]
November 11th 11, 02:14 PM
On Nov 11, 6:11 am, Uncle Dave > wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 05:30, RicodJour wrote:
>

> > On Nov 10, 5:39 pm, > wrote:
> >> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>
> >>http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...

> >> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
> >> much you'd appreciate that.
>
> > Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
> > minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
> > Security and have them take you off the no-fly list. Then you could
> > come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> > instead of that swill you're drinking now.
>
> Ah, I doubt that very much. Most Sixes have a brewer as their main
> sponsor and I doubt a foreign beer would have either the inclination or
> money to put into something like that. Crap beer and Sixes - it's
> tradition so expect Budweiser or Coors or some other undrinkable ****e
> to be the only one available. At London Sixes in the Sixties and
> Seventies it was Skol who were the main sponsors. Unfortunately for
> them, most people who went were active cyclists or discerning beer
> drinkers. It couldn't last.

Dude, quit harshing my mellow. Think positive thoughts. Say it after
me.

Om
Om
Ommegang
Ommegang
Om
Om
Ommegang

Excellent beer and a cool company.
http://www.ommegang.com

They partner with cool people.
http://www.innatcooperstown.com/bed-and-brew-getaway-packages-upstateny.html

And they hold an annual cyclocross race at the brewery.
http://bicycling.com/blogs/fitchick/files/2009/10/ommegang2.jpg

RicodJour[_2_]
November 11th 11, 02:20 PM
On Nov 11, 3:43*am, atriage > wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 05:30, RicodJour wrote:
> > On Nov 10, 5:39 pm, > *wrote:
> >> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>
> >>http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin....

> >> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
> >> much you'd appreciate that.
>
> > Hey, the more the merrier. *If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
> > minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
> > Security and have them take you off the no-fly list.
>
> Would the fact that I'm a multiple axe-murderer matter?

Ummm...no...? Unless of course you're going to be needing to borrow
an axe. People get real tetchy about them's axes. So bring your
own. Tell the TSA guys and customs that it's for a Renaissance fair
reenactment.

> > Then you could
> > come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> > instead of that swill you're drinking now.
>
> You've got the wrong guy, I hate English traditional beers, it's cold
> continental lagers for me. The Armory looks like an interesting building, how
> the **** can something like that have stood empty since 96?

Ya got me, man. Forty years ago large parts of the worst area of the
Bronx stood vacant. They instituted a program to install painted
plywood in the window openings so it looked more "cheery".

Any property like that becomes a political football, and it takes a
while for it to get a goal.

atriage[_6_]
November 11th 11, 04:49 PM
On 11/11/2011 05:30, RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 10, 5:39 pm, > wrote:
>> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...
>>
>>> "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
>>> Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
>>> unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
>>> place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
>>> medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
>>> early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
>>> 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
>>
>> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I know how
>> much you'd appreciate that.
>
> Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
> minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
> Security and have them take you off the no-fly list. Then you could
> come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> instead of that swill you're drinking now.

Some people think English beer is ok.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8883575/Police-trick-19-criminals-into-coming-forward-with-free-beer.html

--

Uncle Dave
November 11th 11, 04:52 PM
On 11/11/2011 14:14, RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 11, 6:11 am, Uncle > wrote:

>>> Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
>>> minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
>>> Security and have them take you off the no-fly list. Then you could
>>> come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
>>> instead of that swill you're drinking now.
>>
>> Ah, I doubt that very much. Most Sixes have a brewer as their main
>> sponsor and I doubt a foreign beer would have either the inclination or
>> money to put into something like that. Crap beer and Sixes - it's
>> tradition so expect Budweiser or Coors or some other undrinkable ****e
>> to be the only one available. At London Sixes in the Sixties and
>> Seventies it was Skol who were the main sponsors. Unfortunately for
>> them, most people who went were active cyclists or discerning beer
>> drinkers. It couldn't last.
>
> Dude, quit harshing my mellow. Think positive thoughts. Say it after
> me.
>
> Om
> Om
> Ommegang
> Ommegang
> Om
> Om
> Ommegang
>
> Excellent beer and a cool company.
> http://www.ommegang.com
>
> They partner with cool people.
> http://www.innatcooperstown.com/bed-and-brew-getaway-packages-upstateny.html
>
> And they hold an annual cyclocross race at the brewery.
> http://bicycling.com/blogs/fitchick/files/2009/10/ommegang2.jpg

Oh I know there are good beers in America, but tradition and money
dictate that there be only one beer at these events and unless there's a
local brewery with pots of money I doubt it will be a good one you end
up with. They have to get all the sponsorship they can and one of the
traditional mainstays of Six Day Racing sponsorship is having a brewery
on board.

UD

Simply Fred
November 11th 11, 05:50 PM
atriage wrote:
> Some people think English beer is ok.
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8883575/Police-trick-19-criminals-into-coming-forward-with-free-beer.html

Or English criminals are stupid.

atriage[_6_]
November 11th 11, 06:29 PM
On 11/11/2011 17:50, Simply Fred wrote:
> atriage wrote:
>> Some people think English beer is ok.
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8883575/Police-trick-19-criminals-into-coming-forward-with-free-beer.html
>>

> Or English criminals are stupid.

Criminally stupid in this case.

--

Fredmaster of Brainerd
November 11th 11, 08:58 PM
On Nov 11, 4:08*am, Uncle Dave > wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 05:32, RicodJour wrote:

> >> Please keep us posted on this one. *I used to be a big fan of Sixes and
> >> promised myself I would go to see the Whitney's Hopper collection before
> >> I die so...
>
> > I've seen a number of Dennis' movies and I don't know why they're
> > keeping you alive. *;)
>
> Oh, I like his stuff too.
>
> UD

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/01070/facts.dennis_hopper_photographs_1961_1967.htm

Expensive book, but rather cool "leaf through" link lets you look
at it without going to the Whitney.

Movies? What's this about movies?

Fredmaster Ben

Uncle Dave
November 11th 11, 10:41 PM
On 11/11/2011 16:49, atriage wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 05:30, RicodJour wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 5:39 pm, > wrote:
>>> On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racin...

>>> If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I
>>> know how
>>> much you'd appreciate that.
>>
>> Hey, the more the merrier. If six day racing starts up in NYC, 30
>> minutes from me by bike, I'd be so damn happy I'd even call Homeland
>> Security and have them take you off the no-fly list. Then you could
>> come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
>> instead of that swill you're drinking now.
>>
> Some people think English beer is ok.

Most of it's just as crap as everybody's else's. Well, most of the best
selling stuff *is* somebody else's, but only the worst unfortunately.
Stella Artois FFS. In Belgium you only see Stella in plastic bottles in
supermarkets for the alkies to buy, and yet in the UK it's seen as a
premium beer. The power of marketing <sigh>

There are so many good beers in most countries you could never hope to
taste them all. I always think the best thing is to avoid anything that
is advertised on TV, you should be OK then...

UD

Michael Press
November 12th 11, 05:14 AM
In article >,
Uncle Dave > wrote:

> On 11/11/2011 05:32, RicodJour wrote:

> >> Please keep us posted on this one. I used to be a big fan of Sixes and
> >> promised myself I would go to see the Whitney's Hopper collection before
> >> I die so...
> >
> > I've seen a number of Dennis' movies and I don't know why they're
> > keeping you alive. ;)
>
> Oh, I like his stuff too.

Backtrack [1990]?

--
Michael Press

Davey Crockett[_5_]
November 12th 11, 08:39 AM
atriage a écrit profondement:

| On 10/11/2011 21:48, RicodJour wrote:
| > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simes-unveils-plans-for-six-day-racings-return-to-nyc
| >
| > "Test event planned for Kingsbridge Armory in May, 2012
| > Jack Simes, the CEO of the National Cycling Association, recently
| > unveiled his organisation's plans to bring Six Day racing back to its
| > place of origin - New York City. Simes, a world championship silver
| > medalist on the track and a veteran of European Six Day racing in the
| > early 1970s, has tentatively scheduled the New York 6 Day for May
| > 17-22 within the Bronx's Kingsbridge Armory."
| >
| If you're really lucky Cav and Wiggo will show up for the madison, I
| know how much you'd appreciate that.

Not only that.

If Carl Sundquist Fancies a whirl around a short track and is willing to
be the sprinter, Davey will join him as Stayer. as long as he can ride
the Derny events.

--
Davey Crockett
As one Scotsman said to another:
"Here's looking up yer Kilt Jock."

atriage[_6_]
November 12th 11, 07:50 PM
On 11/11/2011 17:50, Simply Fred wrote:
> atriage wrote:
>> Some people think English beer is ok.
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8883575/Police-trick-19-criminals-into-coming-forward-with-free-beer.html
>>

> Or English criminals are stupid.
Possibly the English in general.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/12/southampton_incident/

--

Uncle Dave
November 12th 11, 09:47 PM
On 12/11/2011 05:14, Michael Press wrote:
> In >,
> Uncle > wrote:

>>> I've seen a number of Dennis' movies and I don't know why they're
>>> keeping you alive. ;)
>>
>> Oh, I like his stuff too.
>
> Backtrack [1990]?

I have no idea - I have enough trouble remembering what film I watched
today. Oh yeah - Made in Dagenham :-)

UD

Michael Press
November 13th 11, 01:12 AM
In article >,
Uncle Dave > wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 05:14, Michael Press wrote:
> > In >,
> > Uncle > wrote:

> >> Oh, I like his stuff too.
> >
> > Backtrack [1990]?
>
> I have no idea - I have enough trouble remembering what film I watched
> today. Oh yeah - Made in Dagenham :-)

Milo, the hit man meets the lovely Jodie Foster.

--
Michael Press

Anton Berlin
November 15th 11, 10:02 PM
On Nov 11, 2:42*am, Simply Fred > wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > Then you could come over here, watch some bike racing and drink some good beer
> > instead of that swill you're drinking now.
>
> Warm beer is cool.

Had some Fischer Amber Reserve on a cold night in Strasbourg a few
weeks ago - damn good.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home