PDA

View Full Version : Pre race butterflies

Fredmaster of Brainerd
November 16th 11, 07:50 AM
Are harmless moths before a bike race but
DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triathlons-may-not-be-so-mysterious-panic-attacks-may-be-to-blame/2011/10/24/gIQA70NrKN_story.html?tid=pm_pop

or http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
---
"In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
a panic attack (or something like it): the excitement of the
moment, the chaos of swimming into and over other people,
the chest constriction of the wet suit, the darkness and
coldness of the water, competitiveness and the desire not
to quit when friends and family are watching. On rare occasions
this leads to drowning.

Discussion threads on blogs suggest that panic attacks are
common even among experienced athletes, although apparently
nobody in the triathlon industry has attempted to learn how
common they are. Some coaches mention them, but many
triathletes train without coaches. Race directors in general
don’t name panic attacks as potentially lethal but manageable
hazards, though they do warn about wet roads for cyclists and
high temperatures for runners.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that panic attacks leave no trace,
making it hard to make them a contributing cause of death."
---

Read the whole thing if you like. My impression is that
the governing bodies, riding a wave of popularity, have
not wanted to look real closely at what's going on.

Fredmaster Ben
is a lousy swimmer

Barry Taylor
November 16th 11, 12:05 PM
"Fredmaster of Brainerd" wrote in message

Are harmless moths before a bike race but
DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triathlons-may-not-be-so-mysterious-panic-attacks-may-be-to-blame/2011/10/24/gIQA70NrKN_story.html?tid=pm_pop

or http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
---
"In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
a panic attack (or something like it): the excitement of the
moment, the chaos of swimming into and over other people,
the chest constriction of the wet suit, the darkness and
coldness of the water, competitiveness and the desire not
to quit when friends and family are watching. On rare occasions
this leads to drowning.

Can't help but wonder how this compares with the apprehension/terror
of facing a Time Trial on a hilly/technical course in windy conditions...

-- ---

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

If you think you're too small to have
an impact, try going to bed with a
mosquito in the room. Johan Bruyneel.

Davey Crockett[_5_]
November 16th 11, 02:39 PM
Fredmaster of Brainerd a écrit profondement:

| Are harmless moths before a bike race but
| DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>
| http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triathlons-may-not-be-so-mysterious-panic-attacks-may-be-to-blame/2011/10/24/gIQA70NrKN_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Sounds like some columnist was short of something to write about.

So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
asshole masters.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

Fred Flintstein
November 16th 11, 04:07 PM
On 11/16/2011 8:39 AM, Davey Crockett wrote:
> Fredmaster of Brainerd a écrit profondement:
>
> | Are harmless moths before a bike race but
> | DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>>
> | http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triathlons-may-not-be-so-mysterious-panic-attacks-may-be-to-blame/2011/10/24/gIQA70NrKN_story.html?tid=pm_pop
>>

> Sounds like some columnist was short of something to write about.
>
> So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
> lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
> asshole masters.

I ****ing *knew* it was the triathletes that were responsible.
And they can't ride their damn bikes straight either.

atriage[_6_]
November 16th 11, 04:24 PM
On 16/11/2011 14:39, Davey Crockett wrote:

> So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
> lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
> asshole masters.

Is this a sekret cabal or is it some people you could tell us about?

--

atriage[_6_]
November 16th 11, 04:27 PM
On 16/11/2011 16:07, Fred Flintstein wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 8:39 AM, Davey Crockett wrote:
>> Fredmaster of Brainerd a écrit profondement:
>>
>> | Are harmless moths before a bike race but
>> | DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>>>

>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triathlons-may-not-be-so-mysterious-panic-attacks-may-be-to-blame/2011/10/24/gIQA70NrKN_story.html?tid=pm_pop
>>

>> Sounds like some columnist was short of something to write about.
>>
>> So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
>> lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
>> asshole masters.
>
> I ****ing *knew* it was the triathletes that were responsible.
> And they can't ride their damn bikes straight either.

It's cos they never have time to put proper cycling gloves on.

--

Fredmaster of Brainerd
November 16th 11, 05:26 PM
On Nov 16, 7:39*am, Davey Crockett > wrote:
> Fredmaster of Brainerd a écrit profondement:
>
> | Are harmless moths before a bike race but
> | DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>
> |http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triat...
>

> Sounds like some columnist was short of something to write about.
>
> So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
> lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
> asshole masters.

Dumbass,

I used to live in the Washington Post circulation area.
They even have restaurant reviews! And real estate
articles. All of which are distractions from the
REAL TRUTH.

Thanks,
Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory

Fredmaster of Brainerd
November 16th 11, 05:38 PM
On Nov 16, 5:05*am, "Barry Taylor" > wrote:
> "Fredmaster of Brainerd" *wrote in ...
>
> Are harmless moths before a bike race but
> DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triat...
>
> or *http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
> ---
> "In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
> a panic attack (or something like it): the excitement of the
> moment, the chaos of swimming into and over other people,
> the chest constriction of the wet suit, the darkness and
> coldness of the water, competitiveness and the desire not
> to quit when friends and family are watching. On rare occasions
> this leads to drowning."
> ---
>
> Can't help but wonder how this compares with the apprehension/terror
> of facing a Time Trial on a hilly/technical course in windy conditions...

I've had butterflies before a cyclocross race
in bad conditions (it should be noted that I was pretty
bad at technical riding, and am a wuss). Pre race
nerves are pretty normal IMO.

But if you get the jitters and fall on a CX course - much less
a TT where there isn't anyone around you - the course doesn't
feel like it's reaching up to suck you under the surface.
Unless it's in a Stephen King novel or similar.

Fredmaster Ben

RicodJour[_2_]
November 16th 11, 08:04 PM
On Nov 16, 12:38*pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd >
wrote:

> But if you get the jitters and fall on a CX course - much less
> a TT where there isn't anyone around you - the course doesn't
> feel like it's reaching up to suck you under the surface.
> Unless it's in a Stephen King novel or similar.

I don't know him - is he Ben King's brother?

Simply Fred
November 16th 11, 08:24 PM
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
>> or http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
>> "In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
>> a panic attack (or something like it)

> But if you get the jitters and fall on a CX course - much less
> a TT where there isn't anyone around you - the course doesn't
> feel like it's reaching up to suck you under the surface.
> Unless it's in a Stephen King novel or similar.

And you don't have Ryan dressed in a shark suit with a chainsaw (cue
Jaws music) lurking below the waves (anyway he'd look faintly ridiculous
at a cyclocross race outside the beer tent in a shark suit).

Frederick the Great
November 16th 11, 09:17 PM
In article
>,
Fredmaster of Brainerd > wrote:

> Are harmless moths before a bike race but
> DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triathlons-may-not-be-so-mysterious-panic-attacks-may-be-to-blame/2011/10/24/gIQA70NrKN_story.html?tid=pm_pop
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
> ---
> "In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
> a panic attack (or something like it): the excitement of the
> moment, the chaos of swimming into and over other people,
> the chest constriction of the wet suit, the darkness and
> coldness of the water, competitiveness and the desire not
> to quit when friends and family are watching. On rare occasions
> this leads to drowning.
>
> Discussion threads on blogs suggest that panic attacks are
> common even among experienced athletes, although apparently
> nobody in the triathlon industry has attempted to learn how
> common they are. Some coaches mention them, but many
> triathletes train without coaches. Race directors in general
> don’t name panic attacks as potentially lethal but manageable
> hazards, though they do warn about wet roads for cyclists and
> high temperatures for runners.
>
> Perhaps the biggest problem is that panic attacks leave no trace,
> making it hard to make them a contributing cause of death."
> ---
>
> Read the whole thing if you like. My impression is that
> the governing bodies, riding a wave of popularity, have
> not wanted to look real closely at what's going on.

I reckon race organizers looked closely,
and like what they see. Perhaps the
likelihood of a panic attack during the
swim leg can be ameliorated by
moving the swim phase to the last leg.

--
Old Fritz

Michael Press
November 16th 11, 09:19 PM
In article >,
atriage > wrote:

> On 16/11/2011 14:39, Davey Crockett wrote:
> >
> > So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
> > lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
> > asshole masters.
> >

> Is this a sekret cabal or is it some people you could tell us about?

If you do not already know, you do not want to know.

--
Michael Press

RicodJour[_2_]
November 16th 11, 10:02 PM
On Nov 16, 4:17*pm, Frederick the Great > wrote:

> I reckon race organizers looked closely,
> and like what they see. Perhaps the
> likelihood of a panic attack during the
> swim leg can be ameliorated by
> moving the swim phase to the last leg.

I'm all for that. Stick those weird mofos in the water when they're
truly exhausted and let the horseshoe crabs clean up the bottom.

William Fred
November 17th 11, 08:39 AM
Davey Crockett > wrote in
:

> Sounds like some columnist was short of something to write about.
>
> So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
> lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
> asshole masters.

This needs to have a reference to HAARP in it. You're nobody in the
conspiracy business unless you reference HAARP.

--
Bill "Chemtrails are so 90's" Fred

Frederick the Great
November 17th 11, 08:50 PM
In article >,
William Fred > wrote:

> Davey Crockett > wrote in
> :
>

> > Sounds like some columnist was short of something to write about.
> >
> > So they concocted that load of bull**** to compliment the rest of the
> > lies and half-truths they publish on behalf of their New World Order
> > asshole masters.
> >

> This needs to have a reference to HAARP in it. You're nobody in the
> conspiracy business unless you reference HAARP.

"...HAARP is fully operational and has the ability of
potentially triggering floods, droughts, hurricanes and
earthquakes."

"A super-powerful radiowave-beaming technology that
lifts areas of the ionosphere (upper layer of the
atmosphere) by focusing a beam and heating those areas.
Electromagnetic waves then bounce back onto earth and
penetrate everything-living and dead." (6)

It is all James Bond's enemies in one. Totally awesome.

"The use of HAARP-if it were to be applied-could have
potentially devastating impacts on the World's climate."

Nice capitalization of `World'.

"Responding to US economic and strategic interests, it
could be used to selectively modify climate in
different parts of the World resulting in the
destabilization of agricultural and ecological systems."

The people at Wilderness Publications say it has not
been used, but I am not so sure. China is in the midst
of a terrible drought. It looks like the 2009 drought
in the USA was just a warm up for HAARP.

--
Old Fritz

Ryan Cousineau
November 20th 11, 11:06 PM
On Nov 15, 11:50*pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd >
wrote:
> Are harmless moths before a bike race but
> DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triat...
>
> or *http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
> ---
> "In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
> a panic attack (or something like it): the excitement of the
> moment, the chaos of swimming into and over other people,
> the chest constriction of the wet suit, the darkness and
> coldness of the water, competitiveness and the desire not
> to quit when friends and family are watching. On rare occasions
> this leads to drowning.
>
> Discussion threads on blogs suggest that panic attacks are
> common even among experienced athletes, although apparently
> nobody in the triathlon industry has attempted to learn how
> common they are. Some coaches mention them, but many
> triathletes train without coaches. Race directors in general
> don’t name panic attacks as potentially lethal but manageable
> hazards, though they do warn about wet roads for cyclists and
> high temperatures for runners.
>
> Perhaps the biggest problem is that panic attacks leave no trace,
> making it hard to make them a contributing cause of death."
> ---
>
> Read the whole thing if you like. *My impression is that
> the governing bodies, riding a wave of popularity, have
> not wanted to look real closely at what's going on.

tl;dr.

The "revelation" that triathletes, who are so bad at riding bicycles
they routinely crash while attempting get on the bicycle, are also so
bad at swimming that they suffer the natural consequences of being bad
at swimming, should only be a surprise to the very easily surprised.

Running is slow, dry, and the thing most triathletes are actually semi-
competent at, which is the only reason we don't have funny or tragic
themes in the run leg.

Ryan Cousineau
November 20th 11, 11:07 PM
On Nov 16, 12:24*pm, Simply Fred > wrote:
> Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
>
> *>> or *http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
> *>> "In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
> *>> a panic attack (or something like it)
>
> > But if you get the jitters and fall on a CX course - much less
> > a TT where there isn't anyone around you - the course doesn't
> > feel like it's reaching up to suck you under the surface.
> > Unless it's in a Stephen King novel or similar.
>
> And you don't have Ryan dressed in a shark suit with a chainsaw (cue
> Jaws music) lurking below the waves (anyway he'd look faintly ridiculous
> at a cyclocross race outside the beer tent in a shark suit).

I have got to find a replacement for that shark hat. I lost it somehow.

atriage[_6_]
November 20th 11, 11:11 PM
On 20/11/2011 23:06, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> On Nov 15, 11:50 pm, Fredmaster of >
> wrote:
>> Are harmless moths before a bike race but
>> DEADLY INSECTS OF DOOM before a triathlon.
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/deaths-in-triat...
>>
>> or http://tinyurl.com/cs7w9rd
>> ---
>> "In the swim event, a combination of stresses can lead to
>> a panic attack (or something like it): the excitement of the
>> moment, the chaos of swimming into and over other people,
>> the chest constriction of the wet suit, the darkness and
>> coldness of the water, competitiveness and the desire not
>> to quit when friends and family are watching. On rare occasions
>> this leads to drowning.
>>
>> Discussion threads on blogs suggest that panic attacks are
>> common even among experienced athletes, although apparently
>> nobody in the triathlon industry has attempted to learn how
>> common they are. Some coaches mention them, but many
>> triathletes train without coaches. Race directors in general
>> don’t name panic attacks as potentially lethal but manageable
>> hazards, though they do warn about wet roads for cyclists and
>> high temperatures for runners.
>>
>> Perhaps the biggest problem is that panic attacks leave no trace,
>> making it hard to make them a contributing cause of death."
>> ---
>>
>> Read the whole thing if you like. My impression is that
>> the governing bodies, riding a wave of popularity, have
>> not wanted to look real closely at what's going on.
>
> tl;dr.
>
> The "revelation" that triathletes, who are so bad at riding bicycles
> they routinely crash while attempting get on the bicycle,

Have you tried getting on a bicycle when you've just swum half way round the
****ing world?

--

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home