PDA

View Full Version : Re: Giant Revive

john riley
July 1st 03, 12:22 PM
FWIW Mark Langton from Giant wrote a letter to RCN (July issue) to say
that the Revive has been well received at bike expos, and that it is
selling well. He also says it is aimed at people who are currently not
cycling.

John Riley

wrote in message >...
> I generally admire Giant products, but one short ride left me
> convinced that the Rivive is a failed attempt. After an even shorter
> ride, my spouse, who thought is was cute, shared the same negative
> opinions about riding position, gearing, comfort, efficiency and
> handling.
>
> That said, there are likely those who love riding a Rivive.
>
> George
>
> >I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant
> >Revive. Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? Thanks

Niteynite1
July 1st 03, 03:09 PM

wrote in message
>> I generally admire Giant products, but one short ride left me
>> convinced that the Rivive is a failed attempt. After an even shorter
>> ride, my spouse, who thought is was cute, shared the same negative
>> opinions about riding position, gearing, comfort, efficiency and
>> handling.
>>
>> That said, there are likely those who love riding a Rivive.
>>
>> George

Sounds like a way to DIScourage new cyclists.

Will
I drive a Kia. My cell phone is a NOkia. I am so confused.

Niteynite1
July 1st 03, 03:09 PM

wrote in message
>> I generally admire Giant products, but one short ride left me
>> convinced that the Rivive is a failed attempt. After an even shorter
>> ride, my spouse, who thought is was cute, shared the same negative
>> opinions about riding position, gearing, comfort, efficiency and
>> handling.
>>
>> That said, there are likely those who love riding a Rivive.
>>
>> George

Sounds like a way to DIScourage new cyclists.

Will
I drive a Kia. My cell phone is a NOkia. I am so confused.

ReviveRider
August 25th 03, 05:32 AM
Joe wrote:
> I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive.
> Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? Thanks

This thread is probably dead, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I took a
chance on the Revive after test riding it in June. I've had the bike now
all season, so here's my observations...

A. The bike is comfortable. After years of commuting to work my neck and
shoulders were giving out. I wanted something comfortable that would
allow me to enjoy riding again... The Revive seems to work for me.
Darn near everything is adjustable: seat post, lumbar support,
headset, and hinged frame. And I love the view the head-up seating
position provides on rural/rail trail rides.

B. Handling is OK. The longer I ride it (had it since late June) the
better I've become with tight turns on urban bike paths and
obstacles. Now toward the end of August, I feel as though standard
bikes handle awkwardly... go figure.

C. It's heavy. Lots of aluminum on this bike. Even before I left the
LBS, I had the techs remove the wheel covers, fenders, and
chainguard. Maybe four or so pounds were shed from just that. I have
other ideas such as sawing off extra seat tubing (I'm only 5' 9") and
lopping off the back part of the frame with the integrated rack.

D. For long rides the small 20" wheels make you work a little harder,
but the semi-bent position is so comfortable for me that I don't seem
to mind... However, the single chain ring, 8-speed combined with the
bent position is killing me on some of the small, steep, nasty hills
here in the Ozarks. I'm taking this machine out for the MS 150 in
Sept. and that's my main worry. The bike is loads of fun on level,
rolling roads with shallow grades, but a bear on the hills. Max speed
is certainly less, but I'm not *that* much slower than the roadies.

E. It's goofy looking and cool looking at the same time... colleagues
call it the two-wheeled hospital bed, while younger folks and kids
always call out "cool bike!"

In sum, it's working out pretty well for me. I've had some problems
with the chain jumping off during shifting on downhills and
straightaways, but so far this bike has gotten me back into biking
again. Before the Revive I rode only 6-8 miles every other day. Now I
enjoy 10, 20, and 30 mile rides. I had my first 56 mile training ride
last weekend, and she did OK. I have to say "OK" because it's not meant
to be a performance bike.

I’ll be happy to entertain any questions concerning this odd, semi-bent
mule. I’d love to hear from other Revive riders too.

DR

ReviveRider

--
The good traveler is not intent on reaching his destination. -- Lao Tzu

ReviveRider
August 25th 03, 05:32 AM
Joe wrote:
> I've never owned a recumbent and I am considering buying a Giant Revive.
> Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? Thanks

This thread is probably dead, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I took a
chance on the Revive after test riding it in June. I've had the bike now
all season, so here's my observations...

A. The bike is comfortable. After years of commuting to work my neck and
shoulders were giving out. I wanted something comfortable that would
allow me to enjoy riding again... The Revive seems to work for me.
Darn near everything is adjustable: seat post, lumbar support,
headset, and hinged frame. And I love the view the head-up seating
position provides on rural/rail trail rides.

B. Handling is OK. The longer I ride it (had it since late June) the
better I've become with tight turns on urban bike paths and
obstacles. Now toward the end of August, I feel as though standard
bikes handle awkwardly... go figure.

C. It's heavy. Lots of aluminum on this bike. Even before I left the
LBS, I had the techs remove the wheel covers, fenders, and
chainguard. Maybe four or so pounds were shed from just that. I have
other ideas such as sawing off extra seat tubing (I'm only 5' 9") and
lopping off the back part of the frame with the integrated rack.

D. For long rides the small 20" wheels make you work a little harder,
but the semi-bent position is so comfortable for me that I don't seem
to mind... However, the single chain ring, 8-speed combined with the
bent position is killing me on some of the small, steep, nasty hills
here in the Ozarks. I'm taking this machine out for the MS 150 in
Sept. and that's my main worry. The bike is loads of fun on level,
rolling roads with shallow grades, but a bear on the hills. Max speed
is certainly less, but I'm not *that* much slower than the roadies.

E. It's goofy looking and cool looking at the same time... colleagues
call it the two-wheeled hospital bed, while younger folks and kids
always call out "cool bike!"

In sum, it's working out pretty well for me. I've had some problems
with the chain jumping off during shifting on downhills and
straightaways, but so far this bike has gotten me back into biking
again. Before the Revive I rode only 6-8 miles every other day. Now I
enjoy 10, 20, and 30 mile rides. I had my first 56 mile training ride
last weekend, and she did OK. I have to say "OK" because it's not meant
to be a performance bike.

I’ll be happy to entertain any questions concerning this odd, semi-bent
mule. I’d love to hear from other Revive riders too.

DR

ReviveRider

--
The good traveler is not intent on reaching his destination. -- Lao Tzu

Edward Wong
August 29th 03, 08:25 AM
(dvderek) wrote in message >...
> Just wanted to say hello to follow Revive users.
> I purchased my Revive DX about two weeks ago, and have rode it
> everyday .
> It is a bit heavy, and a little akward to get on my bike rack
> sometimes, but well worth the ride.
> I put a water bottle holder on the back above the seat on the left
> side and a flashing tail light on the right.
> Also a head light on the handle bars.
> Steep hills can be a work out, but so far so good.
> Well, I'm off to ride, take care all.
> dvderek
> St.Louis

Hi, congrats on the DX! How did you mount the water bottle cage? I
have a standard Revive on order and currently commute on a
ScooterBike. On the ScooterBike, the seat frame is exposed the last
6-7 inches towards the bottom before it bends forward into the
assembly that supports the seat. It is there that I've clamped two
Minoura adapters designed for use where there are no braze ons, one on
each side to bolt my water bottle cages to. Looks good too;-) I was
thinking of using the same arrangement on the Revive when I get it.
Seems like it will work just as well.

Keep us posted...welcome to our newsgroup;-)

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

Edward Wong
August 29th 03, 08:25 AM
(dvderek) wrote in message >...
> Just wanted to say hello to follow Revive users.
> I purchased my Revive DX about two weeks ago, and have rode it
> everyday .
> It is a bit heavy, and a little akward to get on my bike rack
> sometimes, but well worth the ride.
> I put a water bottle holder on the back above the seat on the left
> side and a flashing tail light on the right.
> Also a head light on the handle bars.
> Steep hills can be a work out, but so far so good.
> Well, I'm off to ride, take care all.
> dvderek
> St.Louis

Hi, congrats on the DX! How did you mount the water bottle cage? I
have a standard Revive on order and currently commute on a
ScooterBike. On the ScooterBike, the seat frame is exposed the last
6-7 inches towards the bottom before it bends forward into the
assembly that supports the seat. It is there that I've clamped two
Minoura adapters designed for use where there are no braze ons, one on
each side to bolt my water bottle cages to. Looks good too;-) I was
thinking of using the same arrangement on the Revive when I get it.
Seems like it will work just as well.

Keep us posted...welcome to our newsgroup;-)

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

dvderek
August 29th 03, 07:23 PM
How did you mount the water bottle cage?

I used two hose clamps.
Mounted the cage from the center colum on the left side of the seat
bar just under the backrest.
I'm thinking about setting up a Revive web page with photo's and links
this weekend if I have some time.

derek

dvderek
August 29th 03, 07:23 PM
How did you mount the water bottle cage?

I used two hose clamps.
Mounted the cage from the center colum on the left side of the seat
bar just under the backrest.
I'm thinking about setting up a Revive web page with photo's and links
this weekend if I have some time.

derek

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home