PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical breakdown and walk home

j browe
July 3rd 03, 05:26 PM
Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
yards from my house.
Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
conditions have you had to walk back? jb

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 3rd 03, 05:45 PM
"j browe" > wrote in messagecom...
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? jb

That's because you have one of those contraptions, the
only person who could possibly help you would have to
be driving a flat deck truck with a hiab crane.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
July 3rd 03, 05:45 PM
"j browe" > wrote in messagecom...
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? jb

That's because you have one of those contraptions, the
only person who could possibly help you would have to
be driving a flat deck truck with a hiab crane.

speedracer
July 3rd 03, 06:56 PM
I've had 2 times where I couldn't fix the bike and had to trek it
home. The first time I blew a tire and had to walk the bike home
about 8 miles.

The second time, the tiller linkage (or whatever the rod that ties the
handlebars to the front wheel is called) bolt broke and caused me to
wreck. I was about 4 miles from home that time. This one was very
frustrating because I couldn't roll the bike gripping the handlebars
since the front wheel would spin like crazy. I had to carry the bike
(around 35 pounds) until I found an old metal coathanger on the road. I
tied the linkage to the wheel and was able to roll the bike the rest of
the way home.

So, I feel your pain :)

Dennis

speedracer
July 3rd 03, 06:56 PM
I've had 2 times where I couldn't fix the bike and had to trek it
home. The first time I blew a tire and had to walk the bike home
about 8 miles.

The second time, the tiller linkage (or whatever the rod that ties the
handlebars to the front wheel is called) bolt broke and caused me to
wreck. I was about 4 miles from home that time. This one was very
frustrating because I couldn't roll the bike gripping the handlebars
since the front wheel would spin like crazy. I had to carry the bike
(around 35 pounds) until I found an old metal coathanger on the road. I
tied the linkage to the wheel and was able to roll the bike the rest of
the way home.

So, I feel your pain :)

Dennis

Steve Christensen
July 3rd 03, 07:35 PM
In article >,
says...

>Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
>my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
>uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
>to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
>failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
>The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
>yards from my house.
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
>conditions have you had to walk back? jb

Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood....).

Not to make light of your ordeal, but I do enjoy hearing about incidents like
this, because it helps me justify the weight of the few emergency tools
(including chain tool) that I keep loaded on each and every bike I own.

Steve Christensen
Midland, MI

Steve Christensen
July 3rd 03, 07:35 PM
In article >,
says...

>Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
>my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
>uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
>to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
>failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
>The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
>yards from my house.
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
>conditions have you had to walk back? jb

Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood....).

Not to make light of your ordeal, but I do enjoy hearing about incidents like
this, because it helps me justify the weight of the few emergency tools
(including chain tool) that I keep loaded on each and every bike I own.

Steve Christensen
Midland, MI

Cletus D. Lee
July 3rd 03, 07:59 PM
In article >, mriguy66
@yahoo.com says...
> Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
> my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
> uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
> to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
> failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
> The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
> yards from my house.
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? jb

One. I once dropped into a crack in the pavement popped a front wheel
and trashed my fork. My most essential tool is the cell-phone. Don't
leave home without it.

On my one time (7 miles from home), I called a Yellow Cab.

BTW I have the Pheonix heat and the Gulf Coast Humidity. I plan not to
have to walk ever.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Cletus D. Lee
July 3rd 03, 07:59 PM
In article >, mriguy66
@yahoo.com says...
> Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
> my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
> uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
> to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
> failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
> The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
> yards from my house.
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? jb

One. I once dropped into a crack in the pavement popped a front wheel
and trashed my fork. My most essential tool is the cell-phone. Don't
leave home without it.

On my one time (7 miles from home), I called a Yellow Cab.

BTW I have the Pheonix heat and the Gulf Coast Humidity. I plan not to
have to walk ever.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 3rd 03, 10:07 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:45:02 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>That's because you have one of those contraptions, the
>only person who could possibly help you would have to
>be driving a flat deck truck with a hiab crane.

Hey, everyone! Flabs rides a *Brompton*!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
Advance notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP.
Obviously there will be a week of downtime between the engineer
removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to
the new ISP.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 3rd 03, 10:07 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:45:02 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>That's because you have one of those contraptions, the
>only person who could possibly help you would have to
>be driving a flat deck truck with a hiab crane.

Hey, everyone! Flabs rides a *Brompton*!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
Advance notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP.
Obviously there will be a week of downtime between the engineer
removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to
the new ISP.

Lewis Campbell
July 3rd 03, 11:15 PM
Several years ago I was road testing a fixed gear bike that I had just
built up and I got a flat about 8 miles from the house.

The rear wheel had a nutted axle so, even if I had brought a wrench
with me, I wouldn't have been able to repair it, since I had no spare
tube or patch kit.

There was nobody around to help although, since I was in a park, on a
road around the lake, I did think I had a pretty good chance of seeing
another cyclist.

As I began walking I realized that the bike was pretty light and easy
to push. Also it was a BEAUTIFUL day. A brilliant blue sky, the
temp. pleasantly warm and a light breeze, so I began to focus on how
lucky I was.

The flat had come at the bottom of a steep hill, just before a corner
and I had not wrecked and here I was, embarking on an 8 mile walk
(something I NEVER do because I am a runner) on a perfect day with no
time schedule to meet.

About 2 miles down the road I found 2 dollar bills, just folded up and
lying in the road and that just made the smile on my face even bigger.

Lewis.

****************************

(j browe) wrote in message >...
> Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
> my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
> uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
> to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
> failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
> The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
> yards from my house.
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? jb

patrick mitchel
July 3rd 03, 11:26 PM
Lewis Campbell > wrote in message
om...
> Several years ago I was road testing a fixed gear bike that I had just
> built up and I got a flat about 8 miles from the house.
>
> The rear wheel had a nutted axle so, even if I had brought a wrench
> with me, I wouldn't have been able to repair it, since I had no spare
> tube or patch kit.
>
> There was nobody around to help although, since I was in a park, on a
> road around the lake, I did think I had a pretty good chance of seeing
> another cyclist.
>
> As I began walking I realized that the bike was pretty light and easy
> to push. Also it was a BEAUTIFUL day. A brilliant blue sky, the
> temp. pleasantly warm and a light breeze, so I began to focus on how
> lucky I was.
>
> The flat had come at the bottom of a steep hill, just before a corner
> and I had not wrecked and here I was, embarking on an 8 mile walk
> (something I NEVER do because I am a runner) on a perfect day with no
> time schedule to meet.
>
> About 2 miles down the road I found 2 dollar bills, just folded up and
> lying in the road and that just made the smile on my face even bigger.
>
> Lewis.
You ever seen "the life of Brian" the monty python movie? Where all the
crucified ones are tapping their toes to the little ditty "always look on
the bright side of life" Sounds like you have it down pat.
I walked back about 3 miles in the dark (bout 430am) after the rear
derraileur decided it wanted to take a break- literally and made love to the
rear wheel taking the chain along for a menage a trois. Can't understand why
anyone didn't stop- specially the df I'd just passed! Pat

patrick mitchel
July 3rd 03, 11:26 PM
Lewis Campbell > wrote in message
om...
> Several years ago I was road testing a fixed gear bike that I had just
> built up and I got a flat about 8 miles from the house.
>
> The rear wheel had a nutted axle so, even if I had brought a wrench
> with me, I wouldn't have been able to repair it, since I had no spare
> tube or patch kit.
>
> There was nobody around to help although, since I was in a park, on a
> road around the lake, I did think I had a pretty good chance of seeing
> another cyclist.
>
> As I began walking I realized that the bike was pretty light and easy
> to push. Also it was a BEAUTIFUL day. A brilliant blue sky, the
> temp. pleasantly warm and a light breeze, so I began to focus on how
> lucky I was.
>
> The flat had come at the bottom of a steep hill, just before a corner
> and I had not wrecked and here I was, embarking on an 8 mile walk
> (something I NEVER do because I am a runner) on a perfect day with no
> time schedule to meet.
>
> About 2 miles down the road I found 2 dollar bills, just folded up and
> lying in the road and that just made the smile on my face even bigger.
>
> Lewis.
You ever seen "the life of Brian" the monty python movie? Where all the
crucified ones are tapping their toes to the little ditty "always look on
the bright side of life" Sounds like you have it down pat.
I walked back about 3 miles in the dark (bout 430am) after the rear
derraileur decided it wanted to take a break- literally and made love to the
rear wheel taking the chain along for a menage a trois. Can't understand why
anyone didn't stop- specially the df I'd just passed! Pat

Shwackman
July 4th 03, 01:16 AM
>Which brings up this question to all- how >far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? >jb

The VERY first time I rode my brand new Tour Easy (January '99), I got a
rear flat going for donuts for the family. Luckily, we were only 1 mile from
home on the way back. I felt weird enough on a faired bike, and here I was
pushing it. We've had over 11,000 great miles since though. Mostly with Avocet
Cross K's on the rear (bulletproof).

Shwackman
July 4th 03, 01:16 AM
>Which brings up this question to all- how >far and under what
> conditions have you had to walk back? >jb

The VERY first time I rode my brand new Tour Easy (January '99), I got a
rear flat going for donuts for the family. Luckily, we were only 1 mile from
home on the way back. I felt weird enough on a faired bike, and here I was
pushing it. We've had over 11,000 great miles since though. Mostly with Avocet
Cross K's on the rear (bulletproof).

Ken Kobayashi
July 4th 03, 03:03 AM
On 3 Jul 2003 09:26:12 -0700, (j browe) wrote:
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
>conditions have you had to walk back? jb

One time I needed to ride to a conference 20 miles away to make a
presentation. Naturally I stayed up late preparing the presentation
and overslept, and realized that I was cutting it pretty close. So I
decided to ride my new Aero rather than the slower trike. Only one
problem - the only luggage capacity of my Aero was a tiny Radical Solo
seatbag, and I needed my laptop for the presentation. I jammed the
laptop halfway into the bag, tied it with bungee cord and set off.

Exactly halfway into the 10 mile trip the seat bag ripped apart.
spilling my tools and my laptop. And I mean completely ripped open -
it didn't look remotely bag-like, and no amount of duct tape and zip
ties would fix it. I tried to see if I could clutch all my stuff in
one hand and ride with the other - nope. I called a cab but the bike
wouldn't fit into the compact Toyotas they use here for cabs.
I ended up locking the bike at a nearby shop and asking the owners to
keep an eye out if possible. Got to the conference (late and barely in
time for my own presentation because, as I predicted, the traffic jam
made the taxi much slower than a bike), took the train home and drove
to pick up the bike.

To be fair, the Radical bag is very well made. Also my bag was a used
and rather old one that came with my used Thys and was already
starting to rip. And it obviously wasn't designed to carry a 5-lb
laptop along with a full set of emergency tools.

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Ken Kobayashi
July 4th 03, 03:03 AM
On 3 Jul 2003 09:26:12 -0700, (j browe) wrote:
> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
>conditions have you had to walk back? jb

One time I needed to ride to a conference 20 miles away to make a
presentation. Naturally I stayed up late preparing the presentation
and overslept, and realized that I was cutting it pretty close. So I
decided to ride my new Aero rather than the slower trike. Only one
problem - the only luggage capacity of my Aero was a tiny Radical Solo
seatbag, and I needed my laptop for the presentation. I jammed the
laptop halfway into the bag, tied it with bungee cord and set off.

Exactly halfway into the 10 mile trip the seat bag ripped apart.
spilling my tools and my laptop. And I mean completely ripped open -
it didn't look remotely bag-like, and no amount of duct tape and zip
ties would fix it. I tried to see if I could clutch all my stuff in
one hand and ride with the other - nope. I called a cab but the bike
wouldn't fit into the compact Toyotas they use here for cabs.
I ended up locking the bike at a nearby shop and asking the owners to
keep an eye out if possible. Got to the conference (late and barely in
time for my own presentation because, as I predicted, the traffic jam
made the taxi much slower than a bike), took the train home and drove
to pick up the bike.

To be fair, the Radical bag is very well made. Also my bag was a used
and rather old one that came with my used Thys and was already
starting to rip. And it obviously wasn't designed to carry a 5-lb
laptop along with a full set of emergency tools.

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Morton D Hoffman
July 4th 03, 04:43 AM
speedracer wrote:
> I've had 2 times where I couldn't fix the bike and had to trek it
> home. The first time I blew a tire and had to walk the bike home
> about 8 miles.
>
> The second time, the tiller linkage (or whatever the rod that ties the
> handlebars to the front wheel is called) bolt broke and caused me to
> wreck. I was about 4 miles from home that time. This one was very
> frustrating because I couldn't roll the bike gripping the handlebars
> since the front wheel would spin like crazy. I had to carry the bike
> (around 35 pounds) until I found an old metal coathanger on the road. I
> tied the linkage to the wheel and was able to roll the bike the rest of
> the way home.
>
> So, I feel your pain :)
>
> Dennis
>

> --

Had a similar problem with my R44, which lost steering and rollability.
My solution was to lock the bike up, continue on foot and return with
my car later.

Morton D Hoffman
July 4th 03, 04:43 AM
speedracer wrote:
> I've had 2 times where I couldn't fix the bike and had to trek it
> home. The first time I blew a tire and had to walk the bike home
> about 8 miles.
>
> The second time, the tiller linkage (or whatever the rod that ties the
> handlebars to the front wheel is called) bolt broke and caused me to
> wreck. I was about 4 miles from home that time. This one was very
> frustrating because I couldn't roll the bike gripping the handlebars
> since the front wheel would spin like crazy. I had to carry the bike
> (around 35 pounds) until I found an old metal coathanger on the road. I
> tied the linkage to the wheel and was able to roll the bike the rest of
> the way home.
>
> So, I feel your pain :)
>
> Dennis
>

> --

Had a similar problem with my R44, which lost steering and rollability.
My solution was to lock the bike up, continue on foot and return with
my car later.

Zippy the Pinhead
July 4th 03, 05:02 AM
On 3 Jul 2003 09:26:12 -0700, (j browe) wrote:

> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
>conditions have you had to walk back?

I had a brand new mountain bike once. What could go wrong, right?
Yep.. Flat tire. Four miles back to the campground where my family
was. I hadn't broght tools, tube, pump -- just a little spin in the
country.

One other time I had a blowout and had to walk into town to buy a
tire. Headed back, rode until sundown, then hoofed it fifteen miles
home along a US highway because it got so dark I didn't want to be
riding on the shoulder even with my lights, so I became a pedestrian
and walked facing traffic on that shoulder so I could at least see
them coming and duck if necessary. That was back in the day when I
used to ride the Air-Dyne all winter, so I made it a point of pride to
always take my first long ride (30 mi each way) when there were still
icicles on the cliffs along the road. So it got plenty cold after
dark. Thank God for wool shorts and leg-warmers and the windbreaker I
always pack along. But my total hike pushing the bike according to my
Cateye was three miles to get the tire then fifteen after it got dark.
I shoulda left the damn bike at home and taken a "hike" instead of a
"ride"...

Zippy the Pinhead
July 4th 03, 05:02 AM
On 3 Jul 2003 09:26:12 -0700, (j browe) wrote:

> Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
>conditions have you had to walk back?

I had a brand new mountain bike once. What could go wrong, right?
Yep.. Flat tire. Four miles back to the campground where my family
was. I hadn't broght tools, tube, pump -- just a little spin in the
country.

One other time I had a blowout and had to walk into town to buy a
tire. Headed back, rode until sundown, then hoofed it fifteen miles
home along a US highway because it got so dark I didn't want to be
riding on the shoulder even with my lights, so I became a pedestrian
and walked facing traffic on that shoulder so I could at least see
them coming and duck if necessary. That was back in the day when I
used to ride the Air-Dyne all winter, so I made it a point of pride to
always take my first long ride (30 mi each way) when there were still
icicles on the cliffs along the road. So it got plenty cold after
dark. Thank God for wool shorts and leg-warmers and the windbreaker I
always pack along. But my total hike pushing the bike according to my
Cateye was three miles to get the tire then fifteen after it got dark.
I shoulda left the damn bike at home and taken a "hike" instead of a
"ride"...

Ken Kobayashi
July 4th 03, 05:54 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:03:54 +0900, Ken Kobayashi
> wrote:
>One time I needed to ride to a conference 20 miles away to make a
>Exactly halfway into the 10 mile trip the seat bag ripped apart.

I meant 10 miles into a 20-mile trip...
(Just in case the technically minded people here are frustrated with
inconsistencies!)

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Ken Kobayashi
July 4th 03, 05:54 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:03:54 +0900, Ken Kobayashi
> wrote:
>One time I needed to ride to a conference 20 miles away to make a
>Exactly halfway into the 10 mile trip the seat bag ripped apart.

I meant 10 miles into a 20-mile trip...
(Just in case the technically minded people here are frustrated with
inconsistencies!)

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Torben Scheel
July 4th 03, 10:55 AM
11 km last year - a chainguidebolt snapped. Fortunately I could cost home.
Sitting on the rack and kicking the ground - I felt just a little
stupid-looking..

4 km this monday, I went from work about 7km out to pick up some fancy heat-
and glycole friendly silicone (Dow Corning 732) for my cars radiator
(snapped a plastichose, duh!). I didn't bring patch kit or pump offcourse.
On the way back - pheeeeoouu, flump, flump, flump. 25 celcius, jeans and hot
from riding.

This started my "Advice for touring tyre"-thread this tuesday. Both the car
and the bike is fine again. Bike got a nice Specialized FatBoy slick, and
the radiator a bronzetube inserted, soaked in the silicone. Yes it seems to
hold up pretty well, tanks for asking. And yes, i keep an eye on the
thermometer.

[...]

Robert L. Bass
July 4th 03, 05:09 PM
> Not to make light of your ordeal, but I do enjoy hearing about incidents
like
> this, because it helps me justify the weight of the few emergency tools
> (including chain tool) that I keep loaded on each and every bike I own.

I keep three tools in my bag. One is a multi-function bike tool with all
the usual doodads on it. The second is a Leatherman which has come in handy
more than once while riding alone. The third is my cell phone. On the only
occasion when I broke something that I couldn't fix or patch I called a
friend who owns a big van. :^)

The rest of my supplies include two replacement tubes, a tire patch kit, a
small squirt bottle of chain oil, a zip lock bag with a few "wet ones"
towlettes and a small first aid kit with an emphasis on road rash stuff
(Bacitracin, large gauze patches and such). Because the RANS Vivo uses a
high pressure rear suspension I carry a very small pump that can give me 150
psi in addition to the regular, frame mounted pump.

I could forgo the small pump and save a pound or so but if I was really that
worried about weight I'd lose a few pounds myself. :^)

Robert L. Bass
July 4th 03, 05:09 PM
> Not to make light of your ordeal, but I do enjoy hearing about incidents
like
> this, because it helps me justify the weight of the few emergency tools
> (including chain tool) that I keep loaded on each and every bike I own.

I keep three tools in my bag. One is a multi-function bike tool with all
the usual doodads on it. The second is a Leatherman which has come in handy
more than once while riding alone. The third is my cell phone. On the only
occasion when I broke something that I couldn't fix or patch I called a
friend who owns a big van. :^)

The rest of my supplies include two replacement tubes, a tire patch kit, a
small squirt bottle of chain oil, a zip lock bag with a few "wet ones"
towlettes and a small first aid kit with an emphasis on road rash stuff
(Bacitracin, large gauze patches and such). Because the RANS Vivo uses a
high pressure rear suspension I carry a very small pump that can give me 150
psi in addition to the regular, frame mounted pump.

I could forgo the small pump and save a pound or so but if I was really that
worried about weight I'd lose a few pounds myself. :^)

skip
July 4th 03, 10:25 PM
"S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent"" > wrote in message
<snip>

> That would be the time I hit a rock in the Santa Paula river bed at 100
> mph on a Maico 400 motorcycle.

Count your blessings Speedy. It's a good thing you were able to walk.

skip

skip
July 4th 03, 10:25 PM
"S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent"" > wrote in message
<snip>

> That would be the time I hit a rock in the Santa Paula river bed at 100
> mph on a Maico 400 motorcycle.

Count your blessings Speedy. It's a good thing you were able to walk.

skip

john riley
July 5th 03, 10:43 AM
Here is a "roadside assistance" service for bikes:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1927042

John Riley

john riley
July 5th 03, 10:43 AM
Here is a "roadside assistance" service for bikes:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1927042

John Riley

ST
July 7th 03, 07:12 PM
Great ideal. I have a GRR, a very looong bike, and often wondered how I
would get home in case of a rare emergency that I can't fix myself (I
shouldn't even be typing/posting this-I feel that I'm bringing a curse
upon myself-ah, who cares, I'm not superstitious, er, well, not 'til now)

I spoke to them. Up to 30 miles total/year. Total of 2 calls/year. I
asked about carrying a LWB, about 89 inches. She is going to get back to
me, but it seems that they (the local garage contracted) will send out a
truck if necessary, ?flatbed.

http://www.betterworldclub.com/bicycle/bike_home.htm

Thanks for the lead.

Sonny

> Here is a "roadside assistance" service for bikes:
>
> http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?v
> nu_content_id=1927042
>
> John Riley

ST
July 7th 03, 07:12 PM
Great ideal. I have a GRR, a very looong bike, and often wondered how I
would get home in case of a rare emergency that I can't fix myself (I
shouldn't even be typing/posting this-I feel that I'm bringing a curse
upon myself-ah, who cares, I'm not superstitious, er, well, not 'til now)

I spoke to them. Up to 30 miles total/year. Total of 2 calls/year. I
asked about carrying a LWB, about 89 inches. She is going to get back to
me, but it seems that they (the local garage contracted) will send out a
truck if necessary, ?flatbed.

http://www.betterworldclub.com/bicycle/bike_home.htm

Thanks for the lead.

Sonny

> Here is a "roadside assistance" service for bikes:
>
> http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?v
> nu_content_id=1927042
>
> John Riley

Google