Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:31:58 -0000
From: "Mark Garner" >
Subject: Something I wanted to share

Doug Dobrozsi > wrote:

Perhaps some of you are passionate enough advocates
to help the folks up in Cleveland with an advocacy issue. There's a
radio
DJ there who has apparently declared war on cyclists and is stirring
the
pot, recommending drivers of cars to assault / harrass cyclists. See
below.

I'm especially sensitive right now since the VP of our club and his
wife on
tandem were in the 40 rider group mowed over by a Lincoln Continetnal
in
Tampa this passed Sunday. What they're doing up in Cleveland is
pathologic,
anti-social, criminal.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards,
Doug Dobrozsi
Queen City Wheels Bicycle Racing Club,
Cincinnati, OH

update.
To anyone new to this issue, please read, respond and forward this to
others:

> > On Wednesday, July 2nd, the morning radio show on WMJI-Majic 105
read an e-mail from a listener saying that bicycles should not be on
the roads
in the Cleveland Metroparks. At least one of the DJs told listeners
who
were in cars to do things like:

> > - speed past the bike, pull back into the lane and slam on your
brakes.
> > - speed past the bike, have your passenger open their door and
put on
the brakes.
> > - yell and/or honk at all cyclists as you pass in your car.
> > - throw things like cans or rolls of pennies out your window at
cyclists.

> > Apparently, there was a caller who said that what they were
telling
people to do was wrong. The caller tried to explain that bicycles are
allowed
on the roads and are vehicles just like cars. From what I understand,
the DJs made fun of the caller and didn't take her comments seriously.

> > I contacted one of the DJs, Jimmy Malone, about the content of
the program. He said that he would try to get "the other side of the
story" on Thursday's show and I agreed to be interviewed.

> > My interview started with me explaining that bicycles are allowed
on the roadways and why some cyclists don't use the multi-purpose
trails in the Metroparks. During the "interview", I was repeatedly
and relentlessly called a buffoon, idiot, clueless, pms-sufferer,
couldn't take a joke, didn't understand satire and stupid.

> > For the remaining three hours of their "show", they took calls
from listeners and further encouraged drivers to do whatever it takes
to get cyclists off the roads. Callers who agreed with their
viewpoints were awarded a gift certificate to a local restaurant.

> > They aired loads of people who called in to say that they agreed
that bicyclists are basically moving targets. I heard of only one
person that said they felt that their "jokes" were wrong. I was left
wonderring if they were just putting the ignorant people on the air
or (as they said) did no cyclists call in with their opinion?

> > On Monday, July 7, they were again making comments about bicycles
being on the roadways. The biggest offender, Chip Kullik, again said
he pulls
over and opens his doors into cyclists.

> > We need every single person who rides a bike to call or e-mail the
Federal Communications Commission, the station, Clear Channel
Communications and the Cleveland Metroparks to say that the program
during these two mornings is wrong. It is DEAD wrong if someone is
killed because the radio station spent over four hours "joking" about
swerving into cyclists, throwing things at riders, honking, yelling,
or passing and then slamming on your
brakes.

> > Please take a few moments to call, write or e-mail any or all of
the following:

> > Federal Communications Commission
> > Enforcement Bureau
> > 445 12th St SW
> > Washington, DC 20554
> > phone 202-418-7450
> > fax 202-418-2810
> >

> > go to www.wmji.com to e-mail the Program Manager
> > Dave Popovich and/or Jim Meltzer
> > WMJI
> > 6200 Oak Tree Blvd
> > Independence, OH 44131-6933
> >

> > Clear Channel Communications, head offices, San Antonio, Director
of
> > Public Relations -
> >
> > John Hogan, CEO
> > Clear Channel Radio
> > 200 East Basse Rd
> > San Antonio, TX 78209
> >

> > Bob Rotatori-PR Manager
> > Cleveland Metroparks
> > 4101 Fulton Parkway
> > Cleveland, Ohio 44144
> > 216-351-6300 ext. 3263
> >
> > Someone needs to stand up against this aggressive and selfish
behavior that some motorists feel against bicyclists in the
Metroparks and on the roadways. We need to educate the public, both
motorists and cyclists, about the correct rules of the road.

> > Please copy me on any e-mails or letters that you send. I can be
reached at:

> > phone 440-519-0006
> > fax 440-519-0079
> >
> > Lois Cowan
> > Co-owner
> > Century Cycles
> > 33351 Aurora Rd
> > Solon, OH 44139
> >
> > This email list is for rapid communication among Cincinnati area
bicycle racers; road, mtb, cx, tri... Includes those experienced
racers, those new to the sport, juniors and parents of young racers.
Most on the list are members of the Queen City Wheels Bicycle Racing
Club (www.qcw.org

bill marsh
July 13th 03, 02:20 AM
"John W" > wrote in message
> Below is a post I copied from the recumbent cyclists Yahoo group. When you
> read the post you can see where this is leading. This is against all
> cyclists whether we ride recumbents, tirkes, or DF's we all need to stick
> together and put a stop to this insanity.
>
> John
>
> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:31:58 -0000
> From: "Mark Garner" >
> Subject: Something I wanted to share
>
> Doug Dobrozsi > wrote:
>
> Perhaps some of you are passionate enough advocates
> to help the folks up in Cleveland with an advocacy issue. There's a
> radio
> DJ there who has apparently declared war on cyclists and is stirring
> the
> pot, recommending drivers of cars to assault / harrass cyclists. See
> below.
>
> I'm especially sensitive right now since the VP of our club and his
> wife on
> tandem were in the 40 rider group mowed over by a Lincoln Continetnal
> in
> Tampa this passed Sunday. What they're doing up in Cleveland is
> pathologic,
> anti-social, criminal.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Regards,
> Doug Dobrozsi
> Queen City Wheels Bicycle Racing Club,
> Cincinnati, OH

maybe the cyclists in the Cleaveland area need to start strapping on 357
magnums in full view. Give someone somthing to think about. Not to offend
any one, just an idea

Bill
Vrex>

bill marsh