PDA

View Full Version : Re: all-terrain recumbent?

Kevin Skazalski
July 21st 03, 05:37 AM
This may not be at all what you are considering but it sure was
fun.... Check out the quadricycle at http://www.crank-it.com/
Go to "photo gallery" and to "features"
I had the pleasure of riding one this past May at the Michigan
recumbent Rally - East (see http://www.lmb.org/wolbents/ and scroll
down).

I just purchased my first recumbent, a Bacchetta Giro less than a week
ago, but had a lot of fun trying out both the Crank-it Quad and the
Wiz Wheelz Terra Trike 3.4. (Never considered anything but a two
wheeler until I saw these in person). If I had unlimited $$$ I think
one of them would be a second recumbent for me.

Regards,
skitz

Beware of strangers bearing used soda straws.

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:46:36 -0700 (PDT),
(Steve McDonald) wrote:

> If you want a truly all-terrain recumbent, look at the hand-cycle a
>paraplegic rider used to scale the summit of Mt. Denali. It had
>caterpillar tracks for rear wheels and a granny gear lower than anything
>you've even seen.
>
>Steve McDonald

Edward Wong
August 4th 03, 01:12 AM
My favorite LBS just got in some Giant Revives. I tested the DX model
a couple of weeks ago in another shop and was most impressed. Today I
tested the standard model which uses an 8 speed derailler drive
instead of the Nexus 7. It was a blast to say the least. When I took
it back to the shop, I got talking with the guys (shop employees)
about how this bike with the right modifications might make a great
off-roader. We discussed a wider (and lower!) gear ratio, front
suspension fork, off-road tires, etc.

The more I think about it, I am more convinced that this is the
configuration that may work best for off-roading with it's more
upright riding posture which allows more upper body involvement. The
bike is very comfortable and sitting closer to the ground than an
upright MTB makes it feel safe. The step thru frame is an asset
should you need to catch yourself should in case of side slippage and
will prevent "accidents" with your crotch area if you jump off the
seat for any reason. It's wheelbase is similiar to a regular bike and
will help to negociate tight switchbacks when you're out in the woods.

While no recumbent or even a "semi" like the Revive will out perform a
good upright MTB when the going really gets rough, in my humble
opinion, this breed of semi-recumbents is as good as it gets for this
type of riding if you intend to enjoy an ergonomically friendly bike
without resorting to an upright MTB.

Just my two cents.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL