PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hoy

Uncle Dave
April 8th 12, 11:04 PM
My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. Can't find a
video except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
YouTube, but seek it out. You know how in cartoons characters can just
suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.

I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
years and I never saw anything like it...

UD

Simply Fred
April 9th 12, 11:45 AM
Uncle Dave wrote:
> My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
> that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. Can't find a video
> except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
> YouTube, but seek it out. You know how in cartoons characters can just
> suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
> Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.
>
> I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
> years and I never saw anything like it...

Fabian is renting out his Gruber while he's out of action.

Gregory Sutter
April 10th 12, 02:41 AM
On 2012-04-08, Uncle Dave > wrote:
> My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
> that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. Can't find a
> video except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
> YouTube, but seek it out. You know how in cartoons characters can just
> suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
> Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.
>
> I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
> years and I never saw anything like it...

That's a serious "never give up" attitude, and some amazing skillz.
Here's a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yJOGljilE

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/

atriage[_6_]
April 10th 12, 07:26 AM
On 10/04/2012 02:41, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> On 2012-04-08, Uncle > wrote:
>> My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
>> that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. Can't find a
>> video except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
>> YouTube, but seek it out. You know how in cartoons characters can just
>> suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
>> Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.
>>
>> I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
>> years and I never saw anything like it...
>
> That's a serious "never give up" attitude, and some amazing skillz.
> Here's a video of it.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yJOGljilE

Indeed, impressive 'space finding/creating' from Hoy. Thanks for the link.

--D-y
April 10th 12, 11:17 PM
On Apr 9, 8:41*pm, Gregory Sutter > wrote:
> On 2012-04-08, Uncle Dave > wrote:
>
> > My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
> > that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. *Can't find a
> > video except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
> > YouTube, but seek it out. *You know how in cartoons characters can just
> > suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
> > * Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.
>
> > I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
> > years and I never saw anything like it...
>
> That's a serious "never give up" attitude, and some amazing skillz.
> Here's a video of it.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yJOGljilE

Thank you for posting that link. Inspiring, to say the least.
--D-y

Ryan Cousineau
April 11th 12, 04:36 PM
On Apr 9, 11:26*pm, atriage > wrote:
> On 10/04/2012 02:41, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>

> > On 2012-04-08, Uncle > *wrote:
> >> My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
> >> that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. *Can't find a
> >> video except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
> >> YouTube, but seek it out. *You know how in cartoons characters can just
> >> suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
> >> * *Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.
>
> >> I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
> >> years and I never saw anything like it...
>
> > That's a serious "never give up" attitude, and some amazing skillz.
> > Here's a video of it.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yJOGljilE
>
> Indeed, impressive 'space finding/creating' from Hoy. Thanks for the link..

Still can't figure out how he made that much space between him and the
kiwi without getting relegated. Not saying he should have been
relegated: saying the kiwi really gave him a lot of room for no clear
reason.

Ryan Cousineau
April 11th 12, 04:42 PM
On Apr 10, 3:17*pm, --D-y > wrote:
> On Apr 9, 8:41*pm, Gregory Sutter > wrote:
>

> > On 2012-04-08, Uncle Dave > wrote:
>
> > > My big day of the sporting year - Paris-Roubaix - outshone for once by
> > > that astonishing move by Chris Hoy to win the Keirin. *Can't find a
> > > video except on the Beeb which won't work abroad, probably too early for
> > > YouTube, but seek it out. *You know how in cartoons characters can just
> > > suddenly move from one place to another, stop and accelerate off again?
> > > * Well you'd swear that what he did was physically impossible.
>
> > > I've been watching track live and on TV for, oh, ****, forty to fifty
> > > years and I never saw anything like it...
>
> > That's a serious "never give up" attitude, and some amazing skillz.
> > Here's a video of it.
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yJOGljilE
>
> Thank you for posting that link. Inspiring, to say the least.
> --D-y

Also, here's a really good HD video of the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5Y-huPAcU&feature=related

Trivia: the commissaire shown briefly at 5:52 is Wayne Pomario, who is
both the UCI's favourite track commissaire, and a local (still
remember being forced to remove knee warmers at his directions a few
years ago, as he was reffing a race in Stanley Park).

Subtle detail on the replay: Hoy giving the kiwi a gentle elbow-tap,
twice, to get some room. On the finishing stretch.

Fred Flintstein
April 11th 12, 05:06 PM
On 4/11/2012 10:36 AM, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> saying the kiwi really gave him a lot of room for no clear
> reason.

If Van Velthooven had held his position against Levy, Hoy
would have been SOL. And it appears that Hoy recognizes the
gift.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/championnats-du-monde-piste-uci-uci-world-track-championsh-2012/mens-keirin/results

-----------
"I'd given up - not physically, but I thought the chance of winning
had gone by the time I hit the back straight with half a lap to go,"
Hoy told BBC Sport.

"Normally I'd go around the outside and put my foot down but I'd lost
momentum. It was one last chance - I've never gone up the inside
before in my life, it's a real last-chance saloon - I couldn't
believe the door opened and I managed to get through. In some ways
I'm very lucky, but very grateful to have won."
-----------

Simply Fred
April 11th 12, 08:27 PM
atriage wrote:
> Hey this is Keirin, in Japan they're pushing for the riders to be
> allowed to carry sharp edged weapons.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana>

atriage[_6_]
April 11th 12, 08:32 PM
On 11/04/2012 16:42, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Subtle detail on the replay: Hoy giving the kiwi a gentle elbow-tap,
> twice, to get some room. On the finishing stretch.

Hey this is Keirin, in Japan they're pushing for the riders to be
allowed to carry sharp edged weapons.

atriage[_6_]
April 11th 12, 08:59 PM
On 11/04/2012 16:42, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Trivia: the commissaire shown briefly at 5:52 is Wayne Pomario, who is
> both the UCI's favourite track commissaire, and a local (still
> remember being forced to remove knee warmers at his directions a few
> years ago,

Interesting, did he give a reason?

thirty-six
April 28th 12, 04:01 PM
On Apr 11, 4:42*pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:17*pm, --D-y > wrote:

> > > That's a serious "never give up" attitude, and some amazing skillz.
> > > Here's a video of it.
>
> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_yJOGljilE
>
> > Thank you for posting that link. Inspiring, to say the least.
> > --D-y
>
> Also, here's a really good HD video of the whole thing:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5Y-huPAcU&feature=related
>
> Trivia: the commissaire shown briefly at 5:52 is Wayne Pomario, who is
> both the UCI's favourite track commissaire, and a local (still
> remember being forced to remove knee warmers at his directions a few
> years ago, as he was reffing a race in Stanley Park).
>
> Subtle detail on the replay: Hoy giving the kiwi a gentle elbow-tap,
> twice, to get some room. On the finishing stretch.

It's a classic move, Hoy leant on the Kiwi's forearm making him steer
left forcing his body right. Perfection on the track.

Ryan Cousineau
April 29th 12, 07:47 PM
On Apr 11, 12:59*pm, atriage > wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 16:42, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > Trivia: the commissaire shown briefly at 5:52 is Wayne Pomario, who is
> > both the UCI's favourite track commissaire, and a local (still
> > remember being forced to remove knee warmers at his directions a few
> > years ago,
>
> Interesting, did he give a reason?

Yes. The UCI rule (at the time, not sure if different today) is that
the normal uniform for cycling is shorts and short-sleeved jerseys.
full tights (NOT knee warmers, but maybe to full-length leg warmers)
were permissible if conditions warranted, and the rule of thumb was
something like <20C or raining.

This was a June or July race, though being Vancouver I believe the
heavens opened and it rained heavily mid-race.

In fairness to Pomario, he was ruling by the book. But it may amuse
you to think of the UCI's go-to track official making sure Cat 4s
didn't engage in illicit knee-warmer abuse.

Don't read this as a shot at Wayne, either: he's a stickler, but a
cordial guy and good at what he does. The local commissaires are a
pretty good group. "Wild" Bill Wild, a name some of the old fogeys
might know, is among their ranks. He does it because he loves the
sport.

A. Dumas[_2_]
April 29th 12, 10:04 PM
On 29/04/2012 20:47, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In fairness to Pomario, he was ruling by the book.

Jawohl, Obersturmbannführer!

atriage[_6_]
April 30th 12, 06:44 PM
On 29/04/2012 19:47, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> the UCI's go-to track official making sure Cat 4s
> didn't engage in illicit knee-warmer abuse.

UCI need to be looking hard at this, before you know it people will be
wearing shorts with gel pads in them...err...

thirty-six
April 30th 12, 07:14 PM
On Apr 28, 4:01*pm, thirty-six > wrote:
> On Apr 11, 4:42*pm, Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> > > Thank you for posting that link. Inspiring, to say the least.
> > > --D-y
>
> > Also, here's a really good HD video of the whole thing:
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5Y-huPAcU&feature=related
>
> > Trivia: the commissaire shown briefly at 5:52 is Wayne Pomario, who is
> > both the UCI's favourite track commissaire, and a local (still
> > remember being forced to remove knee warmers at his directions a few
> > years ago, as he was reffing a race in Stanley Park).
>
> > Subtle detail on the replay: Hoy giving the kiwi a gentle elbow-tap,
> > twice, to get some room. On the finishing stretch.
>
> It's a classic move, Hoy leant on the Kiwi's forearm making him steer
> left forcing his body right. *Perfection on the track.

and what if you are behind, aim for the upper arm and miss:
http://youtu.be/Y-z0Kh0pvNM

Simply Fred
May 1st 12, 08:14 PM

atriage wrote:
> UCI need to be looking hard at this, before you know it people will be
> wearing shorts with gel pads in them...err...

Just wait till Fredburger is a commissaire to see all non-black
bib-short users getting sentenced to a Bobbitt or a night of passion
with Tammy, whichever, ahem, comes first.

Fred Flintstein
May 1st 12, 10:16 PM
On 5/1/2012 2:14 PM, Simply Fred wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>> the UCI's go-to track official making sure Cat 4s
>>> didn't engage in illicit knee-warmer abuse.
>
> atriage wrote:
>> UCI need to be looking hard at this, before you know it people will be
>> wearing shorts with gel pads in them...err...
>
> Just wait till Fredburger is a commissaire to see all non-black
> bib-short users getting sentenced to a Bobbitt or a night of passion
> with Tammy, whichever, ahem, comes first.

That would be an appropriate action for all teams with light
colored shorts.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home