PDA

View Full Version : Re: Volae Team Tire Fits

Dan Kluckhuhn
July 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
I've got a Strada with 650 wheels. I had a pair of Fortezza's on it and in
only 500 miles destroyed one with road debris and the other has a small
puncture in the tire from a piece of gravel. I won't be buying any more of
them. I bought a pair of Terry Tellus 650x28 tires and rode 'em a couple
times. They seem durable, more cushy than the Fortezza's and seem just as
fast. They definitely have more rubber on the road than the Fortezza's. I
plan on using them if I take any long trips or go somewhere with unknown
roads. I've used Conti Grand Prix wire bead tires on my lowracer for a
couple thousand miles and have had no problems with them. I don't understand
why 650x23 Stelvios wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry
tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm wide.
Dan Kluckhuhn

"Rick Moll" > wrote in message
> I finally got my new Volae Team. I love the bike
> -- haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot;
> but I was immediately impressed by how easy it is
> to get started and stopped. I find it more comfortable
> in start and stop riding than my V-Rex, I suspect
> because the high center of gravity makes it easier to
> balance, and also that they just did a great job with
> the design to get the low speed handing right.
>
> So I love riding it but I'm now looking for some
> different tires before I take it out of town on a
> cycling vacation.
>
> For some reason Hostel Shoppe specs Conti GP Supersonics
> on the Team, which aren't intended for the rigors of day
> to day riding. My impression is that I'll be lucking to
> get 1000 miles of life out of them.
>
> The Team is also speced with a True Temper Alpha Q Pro
> front fork, which looks like a great fork, but it doesn't
> allow for a lot of tire clearance. According to the
> Hostel Shoppe not all 650C x 23 (23-571) tires will fit
> the fork. In particular the Schwalbe Stelvio, and a
> Michelin tire they tried would not clear.
>
> The tires they say will work include:
>
> Conti GP Supersonic 23-571 Folding 145psi 145g
> Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23-571 Wire 145psi 250g
> Terry tellus ST 28-571 Wire 100psi 340g
>
> As I said I'm looking for something more durable than
> the Supersonic, and I'd like something lighter weight
> and lower rolling resistance than the other two. Both
> the Conti GP 3000, and the Vredestein Fortezza look
> interesting:
>
> Conti GP 3000 23-571 Folding 120psi 195g
> Vredestein Fortezza 23-571
>
> I'd be curious to hear from others whether they have
> tried fitting either of these, or any other light
> weight 23-571 tires to their Volae Teams.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Moll
> RANS V-Rex
> Volae Team

Rick Moll
July 23rd 03, 04:19 PM
Dan Kluckhuhn wrote:
> ... I don't understand
> why 650x23 Stelvios wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry
> tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm wide.

I don't think the fit concerns with the Alpha Q Pro
fork are just width, but also with outer diameter.
I think the Stelvio and the one Michelin tire they
tried may have been too big around to fit. From
what I understand some of the Michelin tires can have
a very high profile -- almost angular.

Thanks for tire recommendations/observations,

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Rick Moll
July 23rd 03, 04:19 PM
Dan Kluckhuhn wrote:
> ... I don't understand
> why 650x23 Stelvios wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry
> tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm wide.

I don't think the fit concerns with the Alpha Q Pro
fork are just width, but also with outer diameter.
I think the Stelvio and the one Michelin tire they
tried may have been too big around to fit. From
what I understand some of the Michelin tires can have
a very high profile -- almost angular.

Thanks for tire recommendations/observations,

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Rick Moll
July 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
Dave Harney wrote:
> ... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are
> none for the 650)...

If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider
the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I understand
it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.

Sheldon Brown has comments about it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html#571

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Rick Moll
July 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
Dave Harney wrote:
> ... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are
> none for the 650)...

If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider
the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I understand
it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.

Sheldon Brown has comments about it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html#571

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Dave Harney
July 23rd 03, 10:45 PM
I really don't want the Terry tire (too wide and not the same quality as the
Gatorskin). What I'd really like is 25c Gatorskin - until that is
available, the 23c is fine.

"Rick Moll" > wrote in message
> Dave Harney wrote:
> > ... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are
> > none for the 650)...
>
> If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider
> the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I understand
> it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.
>
> Sheldon Brown has comments about it:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html#571
>
> Rick Moll
> RANS V-Rex