PDA

View Full Version : Counterpunching and Recumbents

Gary Mc
July 23rd 03, 03:20 AM
My knees began to hurt all the time instead of most of the time, so I
switched from running to biking. My wrists and shoulders hurt, my
hands were numb and I was doing damage in unmentionable places so I
went to recumbents. I was not strong enough to climb mountain roads
fast enough to stay upright so I went to trikes. After 12 days above
100 degrees, my aging circulation system insists on less heat so I
ride at dawn and dusk.

Keeping fit as one ages is counterpunching. Age strikes you in one
place, you strike back in another. Recumbents certainly enable.

I know that young guys on recumbents get tired of geezers and
near-geezers talking about what a benefit recumbents are as they age.
I can only add that I would that I wish I had started recumbent riding
a decade or more before I did.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

Edward Dolan
July 23rd 03, 06:40 AM
(Gary Mc) wrote in message >...
> My knees began to hurt all the time instead of most of the time, so I
> switched from running to biking. My wrists and shoulders hurt, my
> hands were numb and I was doing damage in unmentionable places so I
> went to recumbents. I was not strong enough to climb mountain roads
> fast enough to stay upright so I went to trikes. After 12 days above
> 100 degrees, my aging circulation system insists on less heat so I
> ride at dawn and dusk.
>
> Keeping fit as one ages is counterpunching. Age strikes you in one
> place, you strike back in another. Recumbents certainly enable.
>
> I know that young guys on recumbents get tired of geezers and
> near-geezers talking about what a benefit recumbents are as they age.
> I can only add that I would that I wish I had started recumbent riding
> a decade or more before I did.
>
> Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

Recumbents will keep us going longer than we otherwise would. We will
be healthier and live longer. I would absolutely no longer be cycling
at all if it weren't for recumbents. And if and when your balance
begins to be effected, then recumbent trikes are the way to go. Brains
over brawn every time!

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
July 23rd 03, 06:40 AM
(Gary Mc) wrote in message >...
> My knees began to hurt all the time instead of most of the time, so I
> switched from running to biking. My wrists and shoulders hurt, my
> hands were numb and I was doing damage in unmentionable places so I
> went to recumbents. I was not strong enough to climb mountain roads
> fast enough to stay upright so I went to trikes. After 12 days above
> 100 degrees, my aging circulation system insists on less heat so I
> ride at dawn and dusk.
>
> Keeping fit as one ages is counterpunching. Age strikes you in one
> place, you strike back in another. Recumbents certainly enable.
>
> I know that young guys on recumbents get tired of geezers and
> near-geezers talking about what a benefit recumbents are as they age.
> I can only add that I would that I wish I had started recumbent riding
> a decade or more before I did.
>
> Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

Recumbents will keep us going longer than we otherwise would. We will
be healthier and live longer. I would absolutely no longer be cycling
at all if it weren't for recumbents. And if and when your balance
begins to be effected, then recumbent trikes are the way to go. Brains
over brawn every time!

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Doug
July 23rd 03, 07:39 PM
I'm no old fat guy by no stretch of the imagination - but - I would be
if I didn't keep active. I have found that settings goals for myself
has been the way to keep active. I ride a recumbent tricycle - a Trice
Micro and have completed the Seattle to Portland bicycle classic, one
day rider, twice. It's a great feeling to be able to do now, what I
thought might be an impossibility. I suppose that's the key, looking
at life and its obstacles and deciding that its possible when everyone
around you is saying otherwise.

I look at most of the bicycle community as having a similar spirit,
even the older generation riding and being active, completing a double
century in a day!

I have run into some upright riders who "look" down upon what I ride
at first glance (despite the obvious - I am quite low to the ground).
Once we ride together, they see that I'm just as able as they are in
staying with the group (18+ mph) and not appearing to work as hard as
they are. The respect shows. Going up hills, yes I'm slower, but on
the flats and downhill runs, I'm as fast, if not faster. Going down
Hwy 101 from Tillimook to Lincoln Beach in Oregon, I've ridden my
Micro at 50 mph - what a blast! Boy do I love long down hill runs!

[...]

Tom Sherman
July 24th 03, 01:31 AM
Edward Dolan wrote:

> Recumbents will keep us going longer than we otherwise would. We will
> be healthier and live longer. I would absolutely no longer be cycling
> at all if it weren't for recumbents. And if and when your balance
> begins to be effected, then recumbent trikes are the way to go....

There are plenty of good reasons for a person with normal balance to
ride a trike.

Tom Sherman
July 24th 03, 01:31 AM
Edward Dolan wrote:

> Recumbents will keep us going longer than we otherwise would. We will
> be healthier and live longer. I would absolutely no longer be cycling
> at all if it weren't for recumbents. And if and when your balance
> begins to be effected, then recumbent trikes are the way to go....

There are plenty of good reasons for a person with normal balance to
ride a trike.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home