PDA

View Full Version : The Butt and Foot Connection

Dave Harney
July 26th 03, 04:29 AM
As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making some
progress, but still have a ways to go.

I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he mentioned
that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a couple
of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling wood
if don't take some remedial action.

Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and less
to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?

David DeKeyser
July 26th 03, 12:27 PM
I too have had numb and hot feet issues...am beginning to wonder if
this is not only annoying, but possibly not healthy. I am by no means
a doctor, but if there is not enough blood flow to your
feet/legs...while cycling, when you want blood flow in those areas
could you be in effect "starving" your muscles of blood/oxygen? Also,
is there a difference between cleat placement and spinning related
tingling and numbness and perhaps blood flow related numbness? Some
people respond well to changes in cleat position, stiffer soles,
concentration on spinning etc. while others continue to experience
"lumps of wood". As Dave below seems to go in a nerve related
direction, could this be a blood flow issue?(and if so-is it just
annoying or could it be damaging?)

"Dave Harney" > wrote in message >...
> As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
> my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making some
> progress, but still have a ways to go.
>
> I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he mentioned
> that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
> nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
> specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
> general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a couple
> of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling wood
> if don't take some remedial action.
>
> Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and less
> to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
> why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?

David DeKeyser
July 26th 03, 12:27 PM
I too have had numb and hot feet issues...am beginning to wonder if
this is not only annoying, but possibly not healthy. I am by no means
a doctor, but if there is not enough blood flow to your
feet/legs...while cycling, when you want blood flow in those areas
could you be in effect "starving" your muscles of blood/oxygen? Also,
is there a difference between cleat placement and spinning related
tingling and numbness and perhaps blood flow related numbness? Some
people respond well to changes in cleat position, stiffer soles,
concentration on spinning etc. while others continue to experience
"lumps of wood". As Dave below seems to go in a nerve related
direction, could this be a blood flow issue?(and if so-is it just
annoying or could it be damaging?)

"Dave Harney" > wrote in message >...
> As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
> my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making some
> progress, but still have a ways to go.
>
> I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he mentioned
> that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
> nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
> specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
> general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a couple
> of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling wood
> if don't take some remedial action.
>
> Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and less
> to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
> why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?

baronn1
July 26th 03, 04:00 PM
I have low back issues, and used to experience numb feet after standing for
an extended period of time. What cured it was prosthetics in my shoes. But
they are a back fix, not a foot fix. They change the way your foot carries
the weight, which effects the load on your low back. So yes, a foot
numbness (mine was general tingling) very well could be related to your low
back.

"Dave Harney" > wrote in message
> As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
> my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making
some
> progress, but still have a ways to go.
>
> I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he
mentioned
> that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
> nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
> specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
> general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a
couple
> of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling
wood
> if don't take some remedial action.
>
> Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and
less
> to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
> why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?

baronn1
July 26th 03, 04:00 PM
I have low back issues, and used to experience numb feet after standing for
an extended period of time. What cured it was prosthetics in my shoes. But
they are a back fix, not a foot fix. They change the way your foot carries
the weight, which effects the load on your low back. So yes, a foot
numbness (mine was general tingling) very well could be related to your low
back.

"Dave Harney" > wrote in message
> As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
> my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making
some
> progress, but still have a ways to go.
>
> I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he
mentioned
> that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
> nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
> specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
> general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a
couple
> of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling
wood
> if don't take some remedial action.
>
> Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and
less
> to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
> why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?

Freewheeling
July 27th 03, 02:43 PM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:29:50 -0500, "Dave Harney"
> wrote:

>I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he mentioned
>that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
>nerves in the butt or back.

To put it simply, I don't think this is accurate. From what my
podiatrist tells me 75% of foot numbness issues, in cycling, running
and other sports, are due to Sinus Tarsi Syndrome... which is
essentially a pinched or inflamed nerve in the foot. 15% are due to
neuromas, and the other 10% to other causes including sciatica and
diabetes. Of course, to be fair, I have to observe that this may be a
case of all problems looking like nails to someone with a hammer. I
know that in my case the cause of numbness is Sinus Tarsi.

--Scott

--Scott

Freewheeling
July 27th 03, 02:43 PM
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:29:50 -0500, "Dave Harney"
> wrote:

>I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he mentioned
>that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
>nerves in the butt or back.

To put it simply, I don't think this is accurate. From what my
podiatrist tells me 75% of foot numbness issues, in cycling, running
and other sports, are due to Sinus Tarsi Syndrome... which is
essentially a pinched or inflamed nerve in the foot. 15% are due to
neuromas, and the other 10% to other causes including sciatica and
diabetes. Of course, to be fair, I have to observe that this may be a
case of all problems looking like nails to someone with a hammer. I
know that in my case the cause of numbness is Sinus Tarsi.

--Scott

--Scott

July 29th 03, 06:06 AM
The problem is almost certainly located in or near your feet. "Butt" problems
would most likely be much worse on your DF, and would be noticeable during other
activities besides riding. I had the same problem pretty often until I
straightened out my shoe situation. I had Carnac touring shoes, which have a
relatively flexible sole, no laces, and only one strap. Once I got a decent
pair of shoes, Lake ATB in my case [because they make WIDE sizes], the problem
occurs less frequently. The problem with 'bent riding is that when you apply
the most power you tend to jam your foot further toward the toe end of the shoe,
which compresses the nerves. Sooooooo, when I put my shoes on, I make sure that
my foot is all the way back in the shoe. Then, I fasten the toe-end straps a
little loose and the shin-ward strap fairly tight. That keeps my foot from
jamming forward. It might seem weird to suggest tightening a strap in order to
prevent toe numbness, but that's what works for me. When I get it right, I can
ride pretty hard for hours with no problem. When I don't get it just right, my
feet get numb in about 30 minutes.

The guy who talked to the podiatrist has a good point as well. He's basically
talking about the stress on the tissue that supports the sole of the foot
["plantar fascia"] under heavy pedaling. A good-fitting shoe with a stiff sole
will help keep your foot from spreading out when you stomp the pedals. If you
think that's the case with you, try "pulling" on the pedals for about a minute
out of every half-hour to relieve the pressure on the soles of your feet.
That, plus the occasional toe wiggle, should liven up your feet a little. I'm
convinced that the toe wiggle actually serves to move the foot back a little in
the shoe - which is good.

Your problem is solvable. Just keep experimenting.

Peace,

Bobby

Dave Harney wrote:

> As some of you may know from previous posts, I'm battling foot numbness on
> my new Volae. I'm working with suggestions from this newsgroup, making some
> progress, but still have a ways to go.
>
> I was talking with a guy who works as a physical therapist and he mentioned
> that most of the foot numbness problems he has seen are caused by pinched
> nerves in the butt or back. He is not a cyclist, so we did not pursue my
> specifics very far, but he did say the usual clue to a pinched nerve is
> general numbness in the foot as opposed to an isolated spot between a couple
> of toes. Both of my feet will eventually turn to lumps of non-feeling wood
> if don't take some remedial action.
>
> Has anyone else concluded that the problem is more in the butt area and less
> to due with cleat position, spinning style, et? Does this theory explain
> why the problem (at least for me) is much worse on a bent than on a DF?

R2D2
July 30th 03, 02:01 PM
Here's something I discovered a long time ago. It may be only a partial
solution to your problem, but it will sure make your feet feel better.

Part of the problem could be right inside your shoes.

If you pull the insoles out of your shoes, you will see the cleat
attachment plate (you might have to remove the moisture barrier
sticker if you put it on over the attachment plate). Take note of the
shape of the top surface of the plate, screw holes, and of the
adjustment grooves in the shoe midsole.

Over the course of a ride, the bottom of your foot begins to conform
to the irregularities of this surface (as opposed to the nice smooth
midsole found in regular shoes). Turn your insole over and inspect the
markings on the bottom!

At the very least this becomes uncomfortable, can be downright
painful, and may even cause permanent disfigurement.

Clipless pedal users refer to this as "riding on walnuts,"
"numb feet," or "hot feet" (and often the blame is not on the
pedals or shoes)

The solution to this is to fill the gaps and low spots around the
plate with a material such as bathtub caulk. Don't use one with too
much silicone (as silicone gets quite hard, adheres very strongly, and
is very difficult to pry out of there if you need to). Smooth the
surface over very nicely (be careful not to build it up into a lump
either). Let it dry overnight, replace the moisture barrier sticker,
and voila! No more tingling toes!

Try this. You should notice a difference on your next ride.

Seth Jayson
July 31st 03, 03:12 PM
That is a nifty solution.

I get numb toes *sometimes* Usually, it's my right foot, which is
larger than my left. Almost always, it's in my touring shoes, not my
speedier, race-type roadie shoes. And most often, it's when I'm really
pedalling hard, versus taking a more recreational ride.

To judge by the wide variety of causes for this symptom, I'm pretty
sure that those who advocate experimenting with shoes fit, cleat
position, etc. are on the right track. If I had a pinched nerve or
something similar, I'd expect to see the symptoms more often, and
equally prevalent across different shoes, conditions, etc.

> The solution to this is to fill the gaps and low spots around the
> plate with a material such as bathtub caulk. Don't use one with too
> much silicone (as silicone gets quite hard, adheres very strongly, and
> is very difficult to pry out of there if you need to). ..

Sticker Jim
September 1st 03, 06:51 AM
I had, and occaisionally still have, the same hot foot and/or numbness
problem on my trike. I don't use anything but ordinary pedals and running
shoes because I like the calf pump I get while riding and I needed some calf
strengthening anyway. My solution involved slowly lowering the seat back
and moving the seat forward a little (to compensate for the increased seat
angle) til I was at a comfortable leg length again. It would appear that
with more weight on my back, the nerve/circulation issues with my feet are
sorting themselves out. For me, it seemed to be a butt problem and not feet
positioning or spinning.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home