PDA

View Full Version : Re: Anyone put disc brakes on a V-Rex?

John Foltz
July 27th 03, 03:32 PM
Dave Miller wrote:
> My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
> the stopping power of my brakes.
>
> Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex

I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
a brake booster.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Jeff Wills
July 27th 03, 10:51 PM
> Dave Miller wrote:
> > My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
> > the stopping power of my brakes.
> >
> > Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex

Like John said, it's a very involved conversion. You'll need a
frambuilder to fabricate tabs for the caliper mounts, a paint job to
follow, and new hubs and rebuilt wheels over and above the purchasing
the disk brake hardware. I can't see getting away from the shop for
less than $500. Five hundred bucks buys some darn good caliper
brakes.

In addition to John's suggestion of a brake booster, I'd try replacing
the brake shoes with Kool-Stop salmon colored units:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR1226 .
The salmon-colored shoes are the choice of bike couriers here in
Portland. They've worked fine for my commuter bike, too.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
July 27th 03, 10:51 PM
> Dave Miller wrote:
> > My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
> > the stopping power of my brakes.
> >
> > Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex

Like John said, it's a very involved conversion. You'll need a
frambuilder to fabricate tabs for the caliper mounts, a paint job to
follow, and new hubs and rebuilt wheels over and above the purchasing
the disk brake hardware. I can't see getting away from the shop for
less than $500. Five hundred bucks buys some darn good caliper
brakes.

In addition to John's suggestion of a brake booster, I'd try replacing
the brake shoes with Kool-Stop salmon colored units:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR1226 .
The salmon-colored shoes are the choice of bike couriers here in
Portland. They've worked fine for my commuter bike, too.

Jeff

William Higley, Sr.
July 27th 03, 11:55 PM
I just had a ceramic rim and pads put on the rear of my Vision R-50. My LBS
did the all the assembly. This cost me about $165. This was probably about
$30 - $40 more than a standard rim.

My experience on my road bike has been very good. They give better stopping
power in both wet and dry conditions. They don't seem to fade in wet
weather. They seem to hold up well in long downhill descents. If you are
about ready to switch out rims for any reason you might inquire with your
LBS and see what they have to say.

I was going through rims about every 4000 miles on my road bike and mountain
bike. Even with cleaning the rims every night when I got home. (Riding year
round I pick up a lot of grit and the brakes have to work a little harder to
stop 225 + lb.s of me and gear.) I put 2000 miles on my road bike after
installing the ceramic rims and pads. They show very little wear at this
time. They showed me a set of rims that had about 10,000 on them and they
still looked very good.

"John Foltz" > wrote in message
> Dave Miller wrote:
> > My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
> > the stopping power of my brakes.
> >
> > Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex
>
> I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
> much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
> a brake booster.
>
> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _
> Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)
> _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

Bobinator
July 28th 03, 02:57 AM
> I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
> much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
> a brake booster.

Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

Bobinator
July 28th 03, 02:57 AM
> I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
> much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
> a brake booster.

Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

harv
July 28th 03, 03:12 AM
It is a metal or composite arched plate that mounts to the brake studs via
a longer set of screws through the brakes' pivots. It will resist flexing of
the chain stays or fork legs as the brake pads apply force to the rim and
cause a torque moment about the mounts. The booster improves braking by
making the frame/brake mount stiffer. I use a booster on the rear brake of
my V-REX.
"Bobinator" > wrote in message
om...
> > I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
> > much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
> > a brake booster.
>
> Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

harv
July 28th 03, 03:12 AM
It is a metal or composite arched plate that mounts to the brake studs via
a longer set of screws through the brakes' pivots. It will resist flexing of
the chain stays or fork legs as the brake pads apply force to the rim and
cause a torque moment about the mounts. The booster improves braking by
making the frame/brake mount stiffer. I use a booster on the rear brake of
my V-REX.
"Bobinator" > wrote in message
om...
> > I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
> > much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
> > a brake booster.
>
> Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

John Foltz
July 28th 03, 04:12 AM
Bobinator wrote:
>>I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
>>much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
>>a brake booster.
>

> Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

A brake booster is a horseshoe-shaped device which attaches to the
canti posts. Its purpose is to prevent the stays from bowing out
when the brakes are applied. This is especially useful on RANS
bikes, which use relatively small diameter tubing for the stays.
Preventing the stays from deflecting makes more pressure available
on the rim, with obvious benefit to braking power.

Brake boosters can cost as much as $50USD, but if you watch for
deals they can be had for $5.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

John Foltz
July 28th 03, 04:12 AM
Bobinator wrote:
>>I put a rear disc on mine. It still fades in the wet, but not as
>>much. Before trying something as involved as a disc conversion, try
>>a brake booster.
>

> Tell me more. What is a brake booster?

A brake booster is a horseshoe-shaped device which attaches to the
canti posts. Its purpose is to prevent the stays from bowing out
when the brakes are applied. This is especially useful on RANS
bikes, which use relatively small diameter tubing for the stays.
Preventing the stays from deflecting makes more pressure available
on the rim, with obvious benefit to braking power.

Brake boosters can cost as much as $50USD, but if you watch for
deals they can be had for $5.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Dave Miller
July 29th 03, 12:30 AM
On 27 Jul 2003 14:51:26 -0700, (Jeff Wills) wrote:

>> Dave Miller wrote:
>> > My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
>> > the stopping power of my brakes.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex
>
>Like John said, it's a very involved conversion. You'll need a
>frambuilder to fabricate tabs for the caliper mounts, a paint job to
>follow, and new hubs and rebuilt wheels over and above the purchasing
>the disk brake hardware. I can't see getting away from the shop for
>less than $500. Five hundred bucks buys some darn good caliper
>brakes.
>
>In addition to John's suggestion of a brake booster, I'd try replacing
>the brake shoes with Kool-Stop salmon colored units:
>http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR1226 .
>The salmon-colored shoes are the choice of bike couriers here in
>Portland. They've worked fine for my commuter bike, too.
>
>Jeff

A recommendation from a Portland'er on stopping in the rain.....what
kind of fool would ignore that !!!!!

Thanks.

Dave Miller
July 29th 03, 12:30 AM
On 27 Jul 2003 14:51:26 -0700, (Jeff Wills) wrote:

>> Dave Miller wrote:
>> > My V-Rex was almost in a V-Wreck today after a sudden downpour altered
>> > the stopping power of my brakes.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any advise or experience adding disc brakes to a V-Rex
>
>Like John said, it's a very involved conversion. You'll need a
>frambuilder to fabricate tabs for the caliper mounts, a paint job to
>follow, and new hubs and rebuilt wheels over and above the purchasing
>the disk brake hardware. I can't see getting away from the shop for
>less than $500. Five hundred bucks buys some darn good caliper
>brakes.
>
>In addition to John's suggestion of a brake booster, I'd try replacing
>the brake shoes with Kool-Stop salmon colored units:
>http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR1226 .
>The salmon-colored shoes are the choice of bike couriers here in
>Portland. They've worked fine for my commuter bike, too.
>
>Jeff

A recommendation from a Portland'er on stopping in the rain.....what
kind of fool would ignore that !!!!!

Thanks.

Jeff Wills
July 29th 03, 07:29 PM
Mike Vore > wrote in message >...
> >>The salmon-colored shoes are the choice of bike couriers here in
> >>Portland. They've worked fine for my commuter bike, too.
>
> I had 'red' KoolStops on a Bike-E - the frame was Red.
>
> I've replaced the pads on my Limbo with black Kool Stops - the only
> color that were in stock at the time. They squeel lots.
>
> My question - Is there a difference betweek the Red and Black - and
> for that matter other colors.
>
> mike

There's *lots* of difference between the colors. Here's their chart:
http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#chart . (Wait for the page to load-
it's got lots of graphics.) My experience with the Kool Stops is that
they tend to squeal if the pad or the rim is contaminated. I usually
have to clean the rim and the pad with alcohol after oiling my chain-
the slightest splatter makes them noisy.

Jeff

John Foltz
July 30th 03, 04:56 AM
(Bill Anton) wrote in message >...

> John, could you say more about your "V-Rex 24"? Did you convert your
> 26/20 to a dual 24? I'm thinking about a similar mod for my R-40, and
> I'd like to hear about your experiences. Thanks

My V-Rex came from the factory with an ISO 451 (20 inch) front wheel
and an ISO 520 (24 inch) rear wheel. It was, I believe, the very last
V-Rex24 to go out of the RANS factory in Hayes, in '97.

I have since converted the rear to the 507 version of 24 inch wheel,
but the front remains a 451. Both are uncommon sizes. At a quick
glance, the wheels look *almost* the same size, which I have always
found to be more aesthetic than having a large disparity in sizes.
I've considered converting the front to 507, but have never been able
to find a fork in that size that I like.

It's problematic getting tires for 24" wheels. The 520 version has two
tires available. The 507 version has many more, but only one good road
tire - the rest being cheap low pressure knobbies. Luckily, I like
that one choice. I don't plan on converting from the 24" anytime soon,
but I would not recommend anyone converting *to* a 24" wheel. Better
to convert to a size that has more tire choices.

Jeff Wills
July 30th 03, 07:13 PM
(John Foltz) wrote in message >...
<snip>

> It's problematic getting tires for 24" wheels. The 520 version has two
> tires available. The 507 version has many more, but only one good road
> tire - the rest being cheap low pressure knobbies. Luckily, I like
> that one choice. I don't plan on converting from the 24" anytime soon,
> but I would not recommend anyone converting *to* a 24" wheel. Better
> to convert to a size that has more tire choices.

FWIW: the 24" (ISO 520mm) tire selection is five (at least):
http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/2400000.lasso
Panaracer Tecnova 24" x 1" black sidewall (25-520) - $17
Panaracer 24" x 1-1/8" tan sidewall (28-520) - $17
New! Panaracer 24" x 1-1/8" black sidewall (28-520) - $17
New! Terry Tellus TT 24" x 1-1/4" (32-520) - $40
Primo V-Trak Knobby 24" x 1-1/8" (28-519) - $17

Jeff

Robert Stevahn
July 30th 03, 07:38 PM
On 30 Jul 2003 11:13:18 -0700, (Jeff Wills) wrote:

>FWIW: the 24" (ISO 520mm) tire selection is five (at least):
>http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/2400000.lasso
>Panaracer Tecnova 24" x 1" black sidewall (25-520) - $17
>Panaracer 24" x 1-1/8" tan sidewall (28-520) - $17
>New! Panaracer 24" x 1-1/8" black sidewall (28-520) - $17
>New! Terry Tellus TT 24" x 1-1/4" (32-520) - $40
>Primo V-Trak Knobby 24" x 1-1/8" (28-519) - $17

And when I ordered the 25-520, I was told it comes in kevlar or steel
bead. The box just arrived, to I should be able to say something soon
about the kevlar 25-520!

I bought a set of the knobbies last fall, but it never snowed enough
for me to give them a try.

-- Robert

Robert Stevahn
July 30th 03, 08:49 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:38:18 -0600, I wrote:

>And when I ordered the 25-520, I was told it comes in kevlar or steel
>bead. The box just arrived, to I should be able to say something soon
*so*
>about the kevlar 25-520!
>
>I bought a set of the knobbies last fall, but it never snowed enough
>for me to give them a try.
>
>-- Robert

Tom Blum
July 30th 03, 09:55 PM
Plus, IRC has a 520/28 also 24x 1 1/8.

Tom

John Foltz
July 31st 03, 02:58 AM
Jeff Wills wrote:
> (John Foltz) wrote:
>
>> ... The 520 version has two tires available.
>

> FWIW: the 24" (ISO 520mm) tire selection is five (at least):
> http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/2400000.lasso
>
> Panaracer Tecnova 24" x 1" black sidewall (25-520) - $17
> Panaracer 24" x 1-1/8" tan sidewall (28-520) - $17 New!
> Panaracer 24" x 1-1/8" black sidewall (28-520) - $17 New!
> Terry Tellus TT 24" x 1-1/4" (32-520) - $40
> Primo V-Trak Knobby 24" x 1-1/8" (28-519) - $17

I guess I should beg forgiveness. The two Panaracer 28x520 are
essentially the same tire with a choice of sidewalls. The knobby -
well, I don't consider knobbies road tires. I forgot about the
Tellus, though; it's pretty new and I haven't seen one yet. So if
I'd said two *road* tires available, I would have been off by one.
Still a pretty sparse set of choices.

Thanks for the updated availability list!
--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Jeff Wills
July 31st 03, 05:31 AM
"Tom Blum" > wrote in message >...
> Plus, IRC has a 520/28 also 24x 1 1/8.
>
> Tom

You sure? I found this on bikepartsusa.com :
01-135583 IRC, Triathlon, 24x1, Wire, 220g, 125psi, 127tpi, Skin $16.99/ea
and this on the IRC site:
http://www.irctire.com/pages/tri.html
but nothing in the 1 1/8 (28mm) width.

Jeff

Tom Blum
July 31st 03, 10:19 AM
"Tom Blum" > wrote in message
> Plus, IRC has a 520/28 also 24x 1 1/8.
>
> Tom

You sure? I found this on bikepartsusa.com :
01-135583 IRC, Triathlon, 24x1, Wire, 220g, 125psi, 127tpi, Skin $16.99/ea
and this on the IRC site:
http://www.irctire.com/pages/tri.html
but nothing in the 1 1/8 (28mm) width.

Jeff

I'm wrong on the size. 24x 1 is what it is labeled.

Tom

Dave Larrington
July 31st 03, 10:19 AM
Airnimal list the following:

Panaracer Technova II 25-520 kevlar (115psi)
Panaracer Technova 28-520 Kevlar (100psi)
IRC Roadlite 25-520 (100psi)
Primo C-739 25-520 Kevlar (100psi)
Primo C-740 25-520 Kevlar (100psi)
Primo V-Track 1-1/8" semi-slick (90psi)
Kenda K191 Koncept 520-28
Specialized Spanky 24 x 1-1/4"

The Specialized is a knobbly, the rest are variations on the theme of "road"

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home