PDA

View Full Version : Rack and trailer to fit a Rans Vivo

john paul downey
July 28th 03, 07:02 PM
Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
appreciated.

John Downey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

home page: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jdowney/index.html

<\
\
\~@
\\\_ _/\_
(*) `- (*)

Cletus Lee
July 28th 03, 07:49 PM
In article >, says...
> Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
> groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
> appreciated.

If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with
an articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Cletus Lee
July 28th 03, 07:49 PM
In article >, says...
> Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
> groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
> appreciated.

If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with
an articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

daybiker
July 28th 03, 11:26 PM
Cletus Lee > wrote in message >...
> In article >, says...
> > Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
> > groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
> > appreciated.
>
> If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with
> an articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.
I use a underseat rack and Areotrunk combination from Angletech.
The Aerotrunk straps on the back of the seat and holds a bunch of
light tuoring stuff, and the underseat panniers carry the heavier
things. Try Kelvin at Angletech....800-793-3038. Xyed Rack is what
your wanting.

daybiker
July 28th 03, 11:26 PM
Cletus Lee > wrote in message >...
> In article >, says...
> > Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
> > groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
> > appreciated.
>
> If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with
> an articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.
I use a underseat rack and Areotrunk combination from Angletech.
The Aerotrunk straps on the back of the seat and holds a bunch of
light tuoring stuff, and the underseat panniers carry the heavier
things. Try Kelvin at Angletech....800-793-3038. Xyed Rack is what
your wanting.

Tom Sherman
July 29th 03, 04:43 AM
Cletus Lee wrote:

> In article >, says...
> > Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
> > groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
> > appreciated.
>
> If you can find a X-Eyed Midship Rack for RANS, this will be about your only viable choice with
> an articulated rear wheel. Suspended bikes aren't designed to carry loads like a mule.

Some do have rear pannier racks however. The HPVelotechnik Speedmachine
is one example and the Earth Cycles Dragonflyer [1] is another. The
Dragonflyer also has a post for mounting a seatpost trunk rack. [2]

[1] < http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df10.jpg >
[2] < http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg >

David Luecke
July 30th 03, 03:12 AM
I use the X-Eyed midship rack. You can see pics of it mounted on the Vivo
at http://community.webshots.com/user/david_luecke. It's availabe from The
Hub ( ) . The people there are very cool and deserve your
business.

My old roomie from college has a rear rack mounted.....I don't remember what
brand, but it is a pretty standard rack. He has some very long steel
attachment plates that extend down to where the lower seat post bolts are, I
think. I will see if I can get him to send you a pic.

--
David Luecke
Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!)

Nick Keenan
July 30th 03, 03:47 AM
john paul downey > wrote in message >...
> Does anyone what rack one can use with a Vivo. I'm looking to carry
> groceries. Second which trailer would fit best on the Vivo. Any help
> appreciated.

I have a Wike trailer that I use to haul the kids around. It attaches
to the rear wheel quick-release, so it could fit on the Vivo. I don't
put it on my Vivo, though. The problem is I have trouble getting up
some of the hills around here in the lowest gears on the Vivo, and I'd
never get up them with a trailer. However, my experience is that if
you are carrying serious cargo (i.e. 60 lbs of kids) the trailer is a
lot easier and safer than strapping stuff onto the frame of your bike,
so if your Vivo can't go where you need to go with a trailer, you
won't make it with panniers either.

I would think that on a suspended bike like the Vivo, you would want
to attach a trailer to the frame and not the axle. The problem is
figuring out what points on the frame are strong enough. My Wike
trailer will fit on the Vivo if I attach it to the bolt that holds the
seat post instead of the axle, but I have no idea if that bolt is
strong enough to take the loads of a trailer. There are trailers that
attach to the seat post, and the Vivo has a seat post, but it doesn't
look like it was meant for horizontal loads.

There are pictures of a RANS rack at
http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Touring_Racks.htm
but no info on buying them.
Nick Keenan