PDA

View Full Version : the fuility of a 1/2" DIA U-lock

thirty-six
July 17th 12, 08:35 PM
On Jul 17, 8:36*am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
> Loony cyclist attacked woman because he thought she had drifted into *a
> cycle lane.
>
> Nearest lamp post and a rope would cure him.
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/7294967/Woman-bashed-by-raging-...

"He abused her and then used a plastic-coated D-lock from his bicycle
to bash her on the back of the head four or five times."

"She got away and collapsed on a nearby front lawn, and Carter-Brown
used the lock to smash the car's windows. "

A 3/4" DIA shackle would have saved him much bother. 1/2" shackles
just don't offer an adequate amount of security.

Mrcheerful[_3_]
July 18th 12, 08:56 AM
Phil W Lee wrote:
> thirty-six > considered Tue, 17 Jul 2012
> 12:35:22 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
>
>> On Jul 17, 8:36 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>>> Loony cyclist attacked woman because he thought she had drifted
>>> into a cycle lane.
>>>
>>> Nearest lamp post and a rope would cure him.
>>>
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/7294967/Woman-bashed-by-raging-...
>>
>> "He abused her and then used a plastic-coated D-lock from his bicycle
>> to bash her on the back of the head four or five times."
>>
>> "She got away and collapsed on a nearby front lawn, and Carter-Brown
>> used the lock to smash the car's windows. "
>>
>> A 3/4" DIA shackle would have saved him much bother. 1/2" shackles
>> just don't offer an adequate amount of security.
>
> It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
> dangerous driving. Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
> would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
> to perform their duty.
>
> The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
> road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
> of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
> now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
> period following the Tony Martin case.
>
> The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
> likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
> tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
> D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).

So would this be the way forward for dissuading pavement cyclists? There is
no doubt they deliberately impinge upon pavement that is rightly the domain
of the pedestrian and many peds. feel threatened by that presence. So a
battering with a D'lock/walking stick or whatever is perfectly acceptable
according to your trained mind.

In the case of Tony Martin two of three prolific burglars had been shot, so
it was to be expected that crime would reduce. Any policeman will tell you
that in any given area most of the crime is committed by a small number of
felons, and they can see just by spikes and dips in the crime rate which
ones are out and which are in custody.

Partac[_10_]
July 18th 12, 09:02 AM
"Phil W Lee" wrote in message

thirty-six > considered Tue, 17 Jul 2012
12:35:22 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

>On Jul 17, 8:36 am, "Mrcheerful" > wrote:
>> Loony cyclist attacked woman because he thought she had drifted into a
>> cycle lane.
>>
>> Nearest lamp post and a rope would cure him.
>>
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/7294967/Woman-bashed-by-raging-...
>
>"He abused her and then used a plastic-coated D-lock from his bicycle
>to bash her on the back of the head four or five times."
>
>"She got away and collapsed on a nearby front lawn, and Carter-Brown
>used the lock to smash the car's windows. "
>
> A 3/4" DIA shackle would have saved him much bother. 1/2" shackles
>just don't offer an adequate amount of security.

It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
dangerous driving. Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
to perform their duty.

The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
period following the Tony Martin case.

The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).

You really are not doing anything for the credibility of yourself or your
fellow cyclists.
What you have just written just confirms all the criticism that has been
said about you and your ilk in the past.

I would love to see M Wicks attempt to defend your position.( As a good
Christian, of course.)

Dave - Cyclists VOR
July 18th 12, 09:42 PM
On 18/07/2012 08:04, Phil W Lee wrote:

In case you missed it - another one for the archive.

> It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
> dangerous driving. Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
> would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
> to perform their duty.
>
> The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
> road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
> of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
> now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
> period following the Tony Martin case.
>
> The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
> likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
> tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
> D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).

University

Judith[_4_]
July 18th 12, 10:18 PM
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:42:56 +0100, Dave - Cyclists VOR
> wrote:

>On 18/07/2012 08:04, Phil W Lee wrote:
>
>In case you missed it - another one for the archive.
>>
>> It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
>> dangerous driving. Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
>> would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
>> to perform their duty.
>>
>> The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
>> road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
>> of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
>> now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
>> period following the Tony Martin case.
>>
>> The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
>> likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
>> tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
>> D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).

Awesome - I had spotted and saved - what a tosser he really is.

thirty-six
July 22nd 12, 10:20 AM
On Jul 22, 3:08*am, "Zapp Brannigan" > wrote:
> "Phil W Lee" > wrote in messagenews:ljnc08t93d1jht04s86pirabh5g8r07q0n@4ax .com...
>
> > It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
> > dangerous driving. *Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
> > would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
> > to perform their duty.
>
> > The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
> > road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
> > of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
> > now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
> > period following the Tony Martin case.
>
> > The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
> > likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
> > tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
> > D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).
>
> An astonishingly stupid remark.

please elaborate.

jnugent
July 22nd 12, 10:31 AM
On 22/07/2012 03:08, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

> "Phil W Lee" > wrote:

[ref: an assault with a deadly weapon by a male cyclist upon a female driver:]

>> It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
>> dangerous driving. Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
>> would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
>> to perform their duty.

>> The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
>> road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
>> of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
>> now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
>> period following the Tony Martin case.

>> The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
>> likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
>> tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
>> D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).

> An astonishingly stupid remark.

It's one of his cleverer and more reasonable utterances.

Dave - Cyclists VOR
July 22nd 12, 11:29 AM
On 22/07/2012 03:08, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

> "Phil W Lee" > wrote in message
>
>> It's the natural consequence of police not bothering to deal with
>> dangerous driving. Sooner of later, it was inevitable that cyclists
>> would start defending themselves, since the police can't be bothered
>> to perform their duty.
>>
>> The government should be praising him - he has probably done more for
>> road safety than any number of official campaigns - a motorist in fear
>> of a similar incident will be more careful around cyclist in that area
>> now, in much the same way as burglary was almost eliminated in the
>> period following the Tony Martin case.
>>
>> The injuries she received were no worse that those she would have very
>> likely have inflicted on the cyclist (she threatened him with over a
>> tonne of motor vehicle, by comparison with which a couple of pounds of
>> D lock is a restrained and proportionate response).
>
> An astonishingly stupid remark.

Not by M'Luds standards.

University

Google