PDA

View Full Version : Hilarity on the A13

Bertie Wooster[_2_]
July 25th 12, 10:46 PM
Today I met a peloton of 8 Chinese cyclists.

They had flown from Bejing to Rome, then cycled across Europe to
London ready for the Olympic Games.

The (or a) Deputy Mayor of London was there to greet them also.

After the official welcome in Trafalgar Square I led them, by bike, to
the Olympic Park.

We cycled down the A13.

The bus lane has been removed, and there is an outside Games Lane,
prohibited to all traffic except games traffic 06:00 to 00:00 daily
from 25 July.

We rode at about 8mph in the inside lane.

Several new looking cars and coaches passed us in the games lane, all
with the official 2012 logo. Ahead of us the road was clear all the
way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
beeping and fuming motor vehicles.

It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
the Games.

Judith[_4_]
July 25th 12, 11:15 PM
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:46:32 +0100, Bertie Wooster >
wrote:

<snip>

>Several new looking cars and coaches passed us in the games lane, all
>with the official 2012 logo. Ahead of us the road was clear all the
>way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
>beeping and fuming motor vehicles.
>
>It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
>the Games.

Very grown up and mature of you.

The parents of the kids at your school will be very impressed with such a
responsible attitude.

--

Bertie Wooster's real name is Tom Crispin.
He uses the name Bertie Wooster so that people involved with

roger merriman
July 26th 12, 02:14 PM
Bertie Wooster > wrote:

> Today I met a peloton of 8 Chinese cyclists.
>
> They had flown from Bejing to Rome, then cycled across Europe to
> London ready for the Olympic Games.
>
> The (or a) Deputy Mayor of London was there to greet them also.
>
> After the official welcome in Trafalgar Square I led them, by bike, to
> the Olympic Park.
>
> We cycled down the A13.
>
> The bus lane has been removed, and there is an outside Games Lane,
> prohibited to all traffic except games traffic 06:00 to 00:00 daily
> from 25 July.
>
> We rode at about 8mph in the inside lane.
>
> Several new looking cars and coaches passed us in the games lane, all
> with the official 2012 logo. Ahead of us the road was clear all the
> way to our turn off to Stratford. But behind us was a long line of
> beeping and fuming motor vehicles.
>
> It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
> the Games.

leave that poor jms alone what has she ever done to you!

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Bertie Wooster[_2_]
July 27th 12, 10:34 PM
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:28:49 +0100, "Zapp Brannigan" >
wrote:

>"Bertie Wooster" > wrote in message
>
>> It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
>> the Games.
>
>Yes, it really is very funny.
>
>"OurOlympics ?@OurOlympics
>We are kettled and arrests being made at Bow Road. Ppl dragged off bikes.
>Hit. Awful. #criticalmass"
>
>https://twitter.com/search/%23criticalmass

Jesus!

I nearly went on my third ever CM ride tonight. I'm pleased I stayed
away.

jnugent
July 27th 12, 10:49 PM
On 27/07/2012 22:34, Bertie Wooster wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:28:49 +0100, "Zapp Brannigan" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Bertie Wooster" > wrote in message
>>
>>> It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
>>> the Games.
>>
>> Yes, it really is very funny.
>>
>> "OurOlympics ?@OurOlympics
>> We are kettled and arrests being made at Bow Road. Ppl dragged off bikes.
>> Hit. Awful. #criticalmass"
>>
>> https://twitter.com/search/%23criticalmass
>
> Jesus!
>
> I nearly went on my third ever CM ride tonight. I'm pleased I stayed
> away.

It's excellent (at last), isn't it?

D'you reckon the offenders were heading for the towpath?

Bertie Wooster[_2_]
July 27th 12, 10:59 PM
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:49:01 +0100, JNugent >
wrote:

>On 27/07/2012 22:34, Bertie Wooster wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:28:49 +0100, "Zapp Brannigan" >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, it really is very funny.
>>>
>>> "OurOlympics ?@OurOlympics
>>> We are kettled and arrests being made at Bow Road. Ppl dragged off bikes.
>>> Hit. Awful. #criticalmass"
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/search/%23criticalmass
>>
>> Jesus!
>>
>> I nearly went on my third ever CM ride tonight. I'm pleased I stayed
>> away.
>
>It's excellent (at last), isn't it?
>
>D'you reckon the offenders were heading for the towpath?

No. The towpath won't concern the police. They'll be heading towards
the zil lanes being used for a customary procession.

jnugent
July 28th 12, 01:18 AM
On 27/07/2012 22:59, Bertie Wooster wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:49:01 +0100, JNugent >
> wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2012 22:34, Bertie Wooster wrote:

>>> Jesus!
>>>
>>> I nearly went on my third ever CM ride tonight. I'm pleased I stayed
>>> away.
>>
>> It's excellent (at last), isn't it?
>>
>> D'you reckon the offenders were heading for the towpath?
>
> No. The towpath won't concern the police. They'll be heading towards
> the zil lanes being used for a customary procession.

I'm glad that you didn't disagree with my "It's excellent" remark.

The rest of your post was just opinion.

Bertie Wooster[_2_]
July 28th 12, 08:13 AM
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:18:21 +0100, JNugent >
wrote:

>On 27/07/2012 22:59, Bertie Wooster wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:49:01 +0100, JNugent >
>> wrote:

>>> It's excellent (at last), isn't it?
>>>
>>> D'you reckon the offenders were heading for the towpath?
>>
>> No. The towpath won't concern the police. They'll be heading towards
>> the zil lanes being used for a customary procession.
>
>I'm glad that you didn't disagree with my "It's excellent" remark.

You'll also have noted that I didn't agree either.

Infact, if you looked really hard, you might have noted that I ignored
the comment.

>The rest of your post was just opinion.

As was your "excellent" remark.

jnugent
July 28th 12, 10:11 AM
On 28/07/2012 08:13, Bertie Wooster wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:18:21 +0100, JNugent >
> wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2012 22:59, Bertie Wooster wrote:

>>> No. The towpath won't concern the police. They'll be heading towards
>>> the zil lanes being used for a customary procession.
>>
>> I'm glad that you didn't disagree with my "It's excellent" remark.
>
> You'll also have noted that I didn't agree either.
>
> Infact, if you looked really hard, you might have noted that I ignored
> the comment.
>
>> The rest of your post was just opinion.
>
> As was your "excellent" remark.

Your response is very odd.

People who do their worst to deliberately annoy and disrupt and to damage the
interests of others *should* be subject to the force of the law, shouldn't they?

It is not good when offenders routinely get away with anti-social behaviour,
is it? And it *is* excellent when they are brought to nook - isn't it?

You surely wouldn't want it to be thought that you support anything a cyclist
does, however illegal, and are opposed to enforcement of the law against him
- would you?

Bertie Wooster[_2_]
July 28th 12, 10:31 AM
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:11:41 +0100, JNugent >
wrote:

>On 28/07/2012 08:13, Bertie Wooster wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:18:21 +0100, JNugent >
>> wrote:

>>> I'm glad that you didn't disagree with my "It's excellent" remark.
>>
>> You'll also have noted that I didn't agree either.
>>
>> Infact, if you looked really hard, you might have noted that I ignored
>> the comment.
>>
>>> The rest of your post was just opinion.
>>
>> As was your "excellent" remark.
>
>Your response is very odd.
>
>People who do their worst to deliberately annoy and disrupt and to damage the
>interests of others *should* be subject to the force of the law, shouldn't they?
>
>It is not good when offenders routinely get away with anti-social behaviour,
>is it? And it *is* excellent when they are brought to nook - isn't it?
>
>You surely wouldn't want it to be thought that you support anything a cyclist
>does, however illegal, and are opposed to enforcement of the law against him
>- would you?

http://bit.ly/McpZAG

jnugent
July 28th 12, 10:37 AM
On 28/07/2012 10:31, Bertie Wooster wrote:

> JNugent > wrote:
>> Bertie Wooster wrote:

>>> You'll also have noted that I didn't agree either.
>>> Infact, if you looked really hard, you might have noted that I ignored
>>> the comment.

>>> As was your "excellent" remark.
>
>> Your response is very odd.
>> People who do their worst to deliberately annoy and disrupt and to damage the
>> interests of others *should* be subject to the force of the law, shouldn't they?
>> It is not good when offenders routinely get away with anti-social behaviour,
>> is it? And it *is* excellent when they are brought to nook - isn't it?
>> You surely wouldn't want it to be thought that you support anything a cyclist
>> does, however illegal, and are opposed to enforcement of the law against him
>> - would you?
>
> http://bit.ly/McpZAG

As though I'm going to click on a link without some reliable indication of
where it leads.

You've made your position clear: you want law-breaking cyclists to be left to
do as they like, no matter what damage or injury they cause to innocent third
parties.

Ignoring the comment merely confirms your position.

M Wicks
July 28th 12, 02:14 PM
On Jul 27, 10:34*pm, Bertie Wooster > wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:28:49 +0100, "Zapp Brannigan" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Bertie Wooster" > wrote in message
>
> >> It is really very funny. I must get out on my bike more often during
> >> the Games.
>
> >Yes, it really is very funny.
>
> >"OurOlympics ?@OurOlympics
> >We are kettled and arrests being made at Bow Road. Ppl dragged off bikes..
> >Hit. Awful. #criticalmass"
>
> >https://twitter.com/search/%23criticalmass
>
> J***s!

Ahem!

M Wicks
July 28th 12, 02:29 PM
On Jul 28, 10:11*am, JNugent > wrote:
> On 28/07/2012 08:13, Bertie Wooster wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 01:18:21 +0100, JNugent >
> > wrote:

> >> I'm glad that you didn't disagree with my "It's excellent" remark.
>
> > You'll also have noted that I didn't agree either.
>
> > Infact, if you looked really hard, you might have noted that I ignored
> > the comment.
>
> >> The rest of your post was just opinion.
>
> > As was your "excellent" remark.
>
> Your response is very odd.

That sounds like something Judith would say. Are you perhaps one and
the same? Why would you bother with two posting names just to post
pretty much the same bullplop?

> People who do their worst to deliberately annoy and disrupt and to damage the
> interests of others *should* be subject to the force of the law, shouldn't they?

I quite agree, which is why I think that trolling should be illegal.
What you have said there EXACTLY describes the behaviour of you and
the other uk.rec.cycling trolls. Shame on you, JNugent! Shame on you,
Judith! Shame on you, Dave! Shame on you, John Benn/Rob Morley/fake
cyclist!

> It is not good when offenders routinely get away with anti-social behaviour,
> is it? And it *is* excellent when *they are brought to nook - isn't it?

As I have said elsewhere, I am not too impressed with the 'Critical
Mass' lot - their intentions may be good, but in the end they hurt our
cause by giving us a bad reputation. Deliberately disrupting society
is rarely the solution to anything, whether we're talking about
cyclists or unions. But the fact remains that you and most of the
others who are baying for blood are only doing it because you have it
in for cyclists. You're not being constructive.

And in any case, 'Critical Mass' would not be thought necessary if the
roads were fit for cyclists, and the fact that they are not is the
fault of petrolheads like you who want to drive as fast as you like
and who bitterly oppose any change to road layouts which in any way
benefits cyclists or takes anything away from drivers (because drivers
'pay for the roads' with 'road tax', don't they?)

> You surely wouldn't want it to be thought that you support anything a cyclist
> does, however illegal, and are opposed to enforcement of the law against him
> - would you?

That is a completely unwarranted accusation. There is not a single
poster on uk.rec.cycling or uk.rec.cycling.moderated who thinks that
way. Nor does anyone 'have it in for drivers' as you so often say -
it's only the lawbreaking, dangerous and inconsiderate drivers that
anyone has a problem with.

I bet you can't provide a SINGLE EXAMPLE of any poster condoning
lawbreaking by a cyclist just because they're a cyclist. And I bet you
can't provide a SINGLE EXAMPLE of any poster having a go at drivers
who obey the law and are safe and considerate, just because they're
drivers. The only posters who discriminate by mode of transport are
the anti-cyclists like YOU, 'Judith' and the psychopathic harassing
criminal 'Nuxx Barr' to name but a few.

jnugent
July 28th 12, 02:50 PM
On 28/07/2012 14:29, M Wicks wrote:

> On Jul 28, 10:11 am, JNugent > wrote:
>> On 28/07/2012 08:13, Bertie Wooster wrote:

>>> You'll also have noted that I didn't agree either.
>>> Infact, if you looked really hard, you might have noted that I ignored
>>> the comment.

>>> As was your "excellent" remark.

>> Your response is very odd.

> That sounds like something Judith would say.

Does it?

> Are you perhaps one and the same?

No.

> Why would you bother with two posting names just to post pretty much the same bullplop?

That's a silly question (of course) because you have based it on an incorrect
premise. [Look it up in a dictionary (here, I'll help you:
<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/premise>)]

>> People who do their worst to deliberately annoy and disrupt and to damage the
>> interests of others *should* be subject to the force of the law, shouldn't they?

> I quite agree, which is why I think that trolling should be illegal.
> What you have said there EXACTLY describes the behaviour of you and
> the other uk.rec.cycling trolls. Shame on you, JNugent! Shame on you,
> Judith! Shame on you, Dave! Shame on you, John Benn/Rob Morley/fake
> cyclist!

They don't irritate me. Well, not often and not much.

OTOH, there are quite a few posters here who seem to "think" that the
majority should be inconvenienced for the sake of a small unreprestantive
minority.

That should irritate everyone with a brain and the power to use logic correctly.

>> It is not good when offenders routinely get away with anti-social behaviour,
>> is it? And it *is* excellent when they are brought to nook - isn't it?

> As I have said elsewhere, I am not too impressed with the 'Critical
> Mass' lot - their intentions may be good, but in the end they hurt our
> cause by giving us a bad reputation. Deliberately disrupting society
> is rarely the solution to anything, whether we're talking about
> cyclists or unions. But the fact remains that you and most of the
> others who are baying for blood are only doing it because you have it
> in for cyclists. You're not being constructive.
>
> And in any case, 'Critical Mass' would not be thought necessary if the
> roads were fit for cyclists, and the fact that they are not is the
> fault of petrolheads like you who want to drive as fast as you like
> and who bitterly oppose any change to road layouts which in any way
> benefits cyclists or takes anything away from drivers (because drivers
> 'pay for the roads' with 'road tax', don't they?)

Have you finished ranting, or do you want to carry one for a bit? I don't
mind either way. After all, it's only your own time you're wasting.

>> You surely wouldn't want it to be thought that you support anything a cyclist
>> does, however illegal, and are opposed to enforcement of the law against him
>> - would you?

> That is a completely unwarranted accusation.

There you go - this time, you've exposed not only your inability to use logic
(yet again) but also, your inability to read and comprehend.

It was a *question* (easily identified by the question mark at the end) and
not an accusation.

But please, I'm forgetting my manners... you wanted to rant a bit more...
please carry on...

> There is not a single
> poster on uk.rec.cycling or uk.rec.cycling.moderated who thinks that
> way. Nor does anyone 'have it in for drivers' as you so often say -
> it's only the lawbreaking, dangerous and inconsiderate drivers that
> anyone has a problem with.
>
> I bet you can't provide a SINGLE EXAMPLE of any poster condoning
> lawbreaking by a cyclist just because they're a cyclist. And I bet you
> can't provide a SINGLE EXAMPLE of any poster having a go at drivers
> who obey the law and are safe and considerate, just because they're
> drivers. The only posters who discriminate by mode of transport are
> the anti-cyclists like YOU, 'Judith' and the psychopathic harassing
> criminal 'Nuxx Barr' to name but a few.

Finished now?

Dave - Cyclists VOR
July 29th 12, 10:58 AM
On 28/07/2012 14:14, M Wicks wrote:
> On Jul 27, 10:34 pm, Bertie Wooster > wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:28:49 +0100, "Zapp Brannigan" >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, it really is very funny.
>>
>>> "OurOlympics ?@OurOlympics
>>> We are kettled and arrests being made at Bow Road. Ppl dragged off bikes.
>>> Hit. Awful. #criticalmass"
>>
>>> https://twitter.com/search/%23criticalmass
>>
>> J***s!
>
> Ahem!