PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mountain Bike

Pat
July 28th 03, 04:06 PM
x-no-archive:yes

> I have a relatively inexpensive Mountain Bike I bought several years ago
for
> pleasure riding.
> Question is, could a cheap mountain bike handle real mountains and tough
> terrain? The last thing I want to do is be stuck carrying my bike home
when
> I'm far from it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Remo Rosati, author

I think you answered your own question. Consider that cheap bikes have
cheap components and those components are likely to fail much faster than
more expensive components. The thing to do is examine your bike parts
critically with an eye to durability and quality. ..and take plenty of tools
with you.

And stop all the cross-posting.

Pat in TX

archer
July 28th 03, 04:18 PM
In article >,
says...
> I have a relatively inexpensive Mountain Bike I bought several years ago for
> pleasure riding.
> Question is, could a cheap mountain bike handle real mountains and tough
> terrain? The last thing I want to do is be stuck carrying my bike home when
> I'm far from it.

How cheap is cheap? I doubt you'll find much difference in reliability
between an $800 to $1000 and a $3000 bike, though you will probably see a
difference between either of those price ranges and a $300 bike.

David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good
Lord, it's morning".

Paul Bielec
July 28th 03, 04:34 PM
I have a Giant Rincon which I paid around 600$ CAN and I do Cross Country
mountain biking with it.
You can check on Giant website to see what it looks like and compare with
yours.
I wouldn't go where I go without a a good reinforced frame and a front
suspension.
I wouldn't take this bike for downhill neither, I would rent one instead.

"Pat" > wrote in message
> x-no-archive:yes
>

> > I have a relatively inexpensive Mountain Bike I bought several years ago
> for
> > pleasure riding.
> > Question is, could a cheap mountain bike handle real mountains and tough
> > terrain? The last thing I want to do is be stuck carrying my bike home
> when
> > I'm far from it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Remo Rosati, author
>

> I think you answered your own question. Consider that cheap bikes have
> cheap components and those components are likely to fail much faster than
> more expensive components. The thing to do is examine your bike parts
> critically with an eye to durability and quality. ..and take plenty of
tools
> with you.
>
> And stop all the cross-posting.
>
> Pat in TX

Pete
July 28th 03, 04:50 PM
"R R" > wrote
> I have a relatively inexpensive Mountain Bike I bought several years ago
for
> pleasure riding.
> Question is, could a cheap mountain bike handle real mountains and tough
> terrain? The last thing I want to do is be stuck carrying my bike home
when
> I'm far from it.

Define cheap.

Dept store cheap, or bike shop cheap?

I have a '99 Specialized HardRock, $350(?), that has served well for many
thousand miles, on and off road.

Pete

James Messick
August 2nd 03, 03:00 AM
"Pete" > wrote in message

> Dept store cheap, or bike shop cheap?
>
> I have a '99 Specialized HardRock, $350(?), that has served well for many
> thousand miles, on and off road.

Really. My theory is that cheap bike-store bikes are actually more durable
than the more expensive ones. That's because the cheaper gruppos are heavier
so should be pretty strong, right?

Rick Onanian
August 2nd 03, 03:35 PM
On 2 Aug 2003 02:00:22 GMT, James Messick > wrote:
> Really. My theory is that cheap bike-store bikes are actually more
> durable
> than the more expensive ones. That's because the cheaper gruppos are
> heavier so should be pretty strong, right?

No such luck. When you get that cheap, they're made out of very
cheap alloys that break easier.

--
Rick Onanian

Dennis P. Harris
August 2nd 03, 06:52 PM
On 2 Aug 2003 02:00:22 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "James Messick"
> wrote:

> Really. My theory is that cheap bike-store bikes are actually more durable
> than the more expensive ones. That's because the cheaper gruppos are heavier
> so should be pretty strong, right?

uh, no. cheap gruppos are not as well finished, require more
lubrication, and wear out faster.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home