PDA

View Full Version : New carbon fairing for GRR-type LWB

Nathan Congdon
August 7th 03, 09:55 PM
There have been several threads on the new Calfee carbon fairing for
GRR-type bikes (ultimately for Calfee's as-yet unavailable Stiletto).
The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black
will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as
we know it, etc. I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but
I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have a "double bubble"
model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke."
The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be
selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
of course, the cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:

www.ffmcycling.com

The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be
there on the final production version.

The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about
these. Also, he says he has used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs,
and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but of course
YMMV.

I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a
more durable and quieter fairing sounds appealing. I think it's $379
for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price differential, though
certainly not cheap.

Nathan

Joshua Goldberg
August 7th 03, 10:46 PM
I smell a Trap here with my name on it and Fast Freddy and the guy in
Minnesota just waiting for me to put my foot in it....soooo tempting.

IF anyone buys this fairing and uses it on a LWB or CLWB...I'd love to hear
about how it works out...in particular for seeing what is close and in front
of you...like a small dog or a kid running into your path from the right
side.....like from between parked cars.

Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making THAT
mistake again.
"Nathan Congdon" > wrote in message
om...
> There have been several threads on the new Calfee carbon fairing for
> GRR-type bikes (ultimately for Calfee's as-yet unavailable Stiletto).
> The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black
> will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as
> we know it, etc. I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but
> I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have a "double bubble"
> model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
> which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke."
> The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be
> selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
> weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
> that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
> extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
> eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
> of course, the cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:
>
> www.ffmcycling.com
>
> The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be
> there on the final production version.
>
> The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about
> these. Also, he says he has used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs,
> and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but of course
> YMMV.
>
> I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a
> more durable and quieter fairing sounds appealing. I think it's $379
> for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price differential, though
> certainly not cheap.
>
> Nathan

Mikael Seierup
August 7th 03, 10:48 PM
"Nathan Congdon" skrev

> The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black
> will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as
> we know it, etc.

Nah, it wont. As we tried to explain to Joshua you're supposed to look over it anyway.
I ride my TE-clone with a similar setup. As in not seethrough and with a clear windscreen.
For all I care the whole thing could be nontransparent cause I look over and never through it.
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (in "Recumbents"-folder)

> I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but
> I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have a "double bubble"
> model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
> which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke."
> The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be
> selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
> weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
> that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
> extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
> eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
> of course, the cool factor.

Its a beaut if you ask me.

Mikael

Gary Fritz
August 7th 03, 11:36 PM
"Joshua Goldberg" > wrote:
> Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making
> THAT mistake again.

Wow! He *IS* trainable!! :-)

Joshua Goldberg
August 7th 03, 11:45 PM
M.S.S.
It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB. Re:
to look down and see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a problem
to look over the top edge at what is ahead, but what if you need to look
down at a dog or kid...could you see it?
***********************************
"Mikael Seierup" > wrote in message

> "Nathan Congdon" skrev
>
> > The big concern seems to have been that having made the thing black
> > will lead to poor straight-ahead visibility, accidents, end of life as
> > we know it, etc.
>
> Nah, it wont. As we tried to explain to Joshua you're supposed to look
over it anyway.
> I ride my TE-clone with a similar setup. As in not seethrough and with a
clear windscreen.
> For all I care the whole thing could be nontransparent cause I look over
and never through it.
> http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (in "Recumbents"-folder)
>
> > I haven't followed the threads all the way thru, but
> > I'm not sure if it has been posted that they have a "double bubble"
> > model which is carbon with a smaller inset Lexan bit at the top thru
> > which you can see. Lexan part comes in red, blue,clear or "smoke."
> > The pure carbon is available now for $499, the double bubble will be
> > selling in a couple of weeks for $625. Advantages are meant to be
> > weight (pure carbon 15 oz versus 2.5 lb for the heavy super zzipper
> > that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
> > extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
> > eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
> > of course, the cool factor.
>
> Its a beaut if you ask me.
>
> Mikael

Tom Thompson
August 7th 03, 11:55 PM
"DrJoel" > wrote in message
> I can see where the solid color would be a dangerous thing. I know with my
> clear fairing there are times when the sun hits at a certain angle and it
is
> impossible to see in front of the bike. But I can see down to the area in
> front of the bike where the holes and other dangers lurk and prevent a
flat
> or worse. I would say the jury is out until we get some test riders out
> there.

There are hundreds of Easy Racer riders who routinely uise a bodysock. That
set-up precludes any visibility through the fairing. In my hundreds of
socked miles, I have yet to encounter a situation made dangerous because I
could not see through the fairing. A properly installed fairing on a LWB
bike will be set for visibility over the top, not through it.

Tom Thompson
Tour Easy
Tidal Wave.

Joshua Goldberg
August 8th 03, 12:51 AM
I would still prefer to hear from some buyers. I maybe in the market for a
fairing myself and a CF sounds kinda nice...cutting the weight with Carbon
Fiber will mean I won't have to keep saying no to all my favorite
pastries...nah who am I kidding here, there has never been a pastry I said
no to.
"Tom Thompson" > wrote in message

> "DrJoel" > wrote in message
> > I can see where the solid color would be a dangerous thing. I know with
my
> > clear fairing there are times when the sun hits at a certain angle and
it
> is
> > impossible to see in front of the bike. But I can see down to the area
in
> > front of the bike where the holes and other dangers lurk and prevent a
> flat
> > or worse. I would say the jury is out until we get some test riders out
> > there.
> >

> There are hundreds of Easy Racer riders who routinely uise a bodysock.
That
> set-up precludes any visibility through the fairing. In my hundreds of
> socked miles, I have yet to encounter a situation made dangerous because I
> could not see through the fairing. A properly installed fairing on a LWB
> bike will be set for visibility over the top, not through it.
>
> Tom Thompson
> Tour Easy
> Tidal Wave.

Gary Fritz
August 8th 03, 04:45 AM
"Tom Thompson" > wrote:
>> I am waiting for a fairing made from pure carbon with the atoms arranged
>> in a tetrahedral lattice.
>
> Buckyballs?

A Buckyball fairing would probably cost more than Tom's diamond fairing!

Joshua Goldberg
August 8th 03, 05:04 AM
Gabriel
Guess you and Fast Freddy ain't communicating too often. He and I kissed and
made up months ago. My periodic references to Fast Freddy are done in
jest...I figure he knows that to be the case.

As for the fairing...if it works I'll seriously consider buying one with the
$1,000. from you know who.

I have had a Windwrap fairing on a LWB and I coated it in Mylar Film. The
kind people use on Van windows re: they can see out/you can't see in. Looked
really cool having a Silver Mirror Fairing, blinded the crap out of car
drivers using their Hi-Beams and no I didn't do it for that reason. I did it
to prevent gravel dinging the Lexan...much more cost effective to peel off
$30.00 of Mylar, than to replace the fairing every 6 months.

Anyway one of the downsides to the Mirrored Mylar was it greatly reduced my
ability to see where the f**k I was going and I ride with prescirption
sunglasses on...making a bad situation worse. I was riding and my 20 inch
front wheel went into an open sewer grate...which I did not see fast enough
BECAUSE my lower section of the fairing was NOT Clear. I was okay but the
Stratus and Fairing was toast.

As I said, I want to read some ride reports from people who buy and ride
with the CF Fairing. I am NOT attacking the design and I still hope
everything works out well for Fast Freddy.

As for you.....well what can I say Gabriel beyond "Get over it", Freddy and
I did along time ago.

"Gabriel DeVault" > wrote in message
.com...
> [...]
> > > that you need for a body sock; double bubble about 1.5 lb due to
> > > extra hardware to accommodate the "bubble.") Also, both models
> > > eliminate the "growling" road noise that you get with the Lexan. And,
> > > of course, the cool factor. You can see both (sort of) at:
> > >
> > > www.ffmcycling.com
> > >
> > > The blue paint on the double bubble seen on the website will not be
> > > there on the final production version.
> > >
> > > The above info is from Fast Freddy, whom I spoke with just now about
> > > these. Also, he says he has used a carbon fairing for about 5 yrs,
> > > and estimates it will last 3X longer than the Lexan, but of course
> > > YMMV.
> > >
> > > I don't sell any of this stuff, work for Calfee, etc., etc. But a
> > > more durable and quieter fairing sounds appealing. I think it's $379
> > > for the heavy Super Zzipper, so not a huge price differential, though

Jeff Wills
August 8th 03, 06:03 AM
"Joshua Goldberg" > wrote in message >...
> M.S.S.
> It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB. Re:
> to look down and see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a problem
> to look over the top edge at what is ahead, but what if you need to look
> down at a dog or kid...could you see it?

Unless the dog or kid pops out of a manhole, you'll see it approaching
from the side long before it's 5 feet in front of you. If something
popped out from the side 5 feet in front of you, you wouldn't have
time to react, opaque fairing or not. Human reaction times are in the
range of 1 to 2 seconds- which means that you'd run over the
object/animal/person before you could react.

A good rider will be looking far enough ahead to allow himself time to
react- it's just plain silly to look at the road as it passes under
your wheels.

Jeff

Joshua Goldberg
August 8th 03, 06:26 AM
Good try, but I had just turned onto the street with the sewer grate
missing, not going fast and no way I could see the missing grate. IF I
looked over the top of the fairing I would not see the grate...I'd see it
looking down to see in front of my front wheel....as for reaction times (am
really fast...where and the way I ride I have to stay quick or die).
**********************************
"Jeff Wills" > wrote in message
om...
> "Joshua Goldberg" > wrote in message
> > M.S.S.
> > It is not the area on top that bothered me, it is the area near the BB.
Re:
> > to look down and see what is 5 feet ahead. I can see how it is not a
problem
> > to look over the top edge at what is ahead, but what if you need to look
> > down at a dog or kid...could you see it?
>
> Unless the dog or kid pops out of a manhole, you'll see it approaching
> from the side long before it's 5 feet in front of you. If something
> popped out from the side 5 feet in front of you, you wouldn't have
> time to react, opaque fairing or not. Human reaction times are in the
> range of 1 to 2 seconds- which means that you'd run over the
> object/animal/person before you could react.
>
> A good rider will be looking far enough ahead to allow himself time to
> react- it's just plain silly to look at the road as it passes under
> your wheels.
>
> Jeff

Dave Larrington
August 8th 03, 10:40 AM
What Mikael said. Opaque fairings have been in widespread use for donkey's
years and no-one seems to have had a problem with them. I used one for
years on my Kingcycle.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

skip
August 9th 03, 01:53 AM
Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of
course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.

skip

skip
August 9th 03, 11:05 AM
"Jeff Wills" > wrote in message
om...
> "skip" > wrote in message
> > Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless
of
> > course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.
> >
> > skip
>
> My Tour Easy's fairing is incredibly useful in my day-to-day riding.
> It allows me to cruise with motorized traffic, keeps my hands and
> torso warm on chilly days, keeps the rain off of my legs during winter
> commutes, and makes the bike far more visible to other travelers.
> What's not useful about that?

Jeff:
I'm thinking that urban or city riding is where the land is divided into
small parcels with lots of motorized vehicles, traffic lights, and stop
signs. I'm not sure what you mean when you say your fairing allows you to
cruise with motorized traffic. I'm thinking I would need one of Joshua's
O-45 mph in 6 seconds E-Motors for that. Speed wise the fairing on my ER
seems to kick in at 17 mph or so. Most of my city riding is less than 17 mph
and requires frequent stops and acceleration from those stops. I'm
presuming the fairing slows me down in these situations under the theory
that speed wise anything added to the bike that isn't helping it is dragging
it down rather than speeding it up.

I'm in the minority that gets an "ice cream" headache from all that cold air
being funneled to my forehead during really cold winter riding with the
fairing. I'd rather not use the fairing on those really cold days because
to me the benefits don't outweigh the headache.

When I ride in city traffic in the rain I seem to get wet with or with out
the fairing. The fairing helps just as fenders might, but in the end if I'm
wet I feel wet.

You say the fairing makes you far more visible in city traffic, but I say
you could get far more bang for your visibility buck from items actually
designed to make you more visible.

However, I do love the Zzipper fairing on my ER for the open road as it
does provide definite speed benefits. Also it has deflected some pretty
damn big bugs during summer evening rides in the country. They make a loud
reverberating pop when they hit the fairing and I'm always glad that
whatever it was hit the fairing and not me.

I wonder how much a bullet proof Kevlar fairing would weigh?

skip

Tom Sherman
August 9th 03, 03:12 PM
skip wrote:

> Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of
> course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.

Mine has deflected a convenience store cup full of ice and a partially
full soft drink can while riding in urban areas.

skip
August 9th 03, 03:52 PM
"Tom Sherman" > wrote in message

> skip wrote:
> >
> > Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless
of
> > course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.
>
> Mine has deflected a convenience store cup full of ice and a partially
> full soft drink can while riding in urban areas.

Sounds as if they thought it was Dr. Pepper time for you. As I recollect it
was Mr. Huffman who posted some suggestions for nipping this crap in the
bud.

skip

bentnut
August 9th 03, 08:01 PM
I'm glad that you two "made up" just be aware how your comments may sound to
the casual un-informed reader. I will make a herculean effort to keep my
foot out of my mouth in the future :)

> [...]
> > mountains out of mole-hills as far as I see it.
> >
> > What is your beef with Freddy anyways? Anytime his name is mentioned you
> > have to chime in with some negative comment.
> >
> > Get over it.
> >
> > "Joshua Goldberg" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > I smell a Trap here with my name on it and Fast Freddy and the guy in
> > > Minnesota just waiting for me to put my foot in it....soooo tempting.
> > >
> > > IF anyone buys this fairing and uses it on a LWB or CLWB...I'd love to
> > hear
> > > about how it works out...in particular for seeing what is close and in
> > front
> > > of you...like a small dog or a kid running into your path from the
right
> > > side.....like from between parked cars.
> > >
> > > Ain't going to attack the fairing till I see how it works...not making

Ken Kobayashi
August 10th 03, 01:12 PM
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:53:07 -0500, "skip" > wrote:

>Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of
>course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.

Bulletproof windows and bike fairings are actually made of the same
material, Lexan. There's a big difference in thickness, but a bike
fairing would probably stop an air gun pellet.

Lexan is wonderful stuff. In my last job I learned that a 0.6-micron
thick Lexan film can withstand the vibration from a Space Shuttle
launch. (I worked on calibrating an aluminized Lexan filter for an
orbital X-ray telescope.)

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Victor Kan
August 10th 03, 01:40 PM
Ken Kobayashi wrote:
> Lexan is wonderful stuff. In my last job I learned that a 0.6-micron
> thick Lexan film can withstand the vibration from a Space Shuttle
> launch. (I worked on calibrating an aluminized Lexan filter for an
> orbital X-ray telescope.)

Would that be the "transparent aluminum" of Star Trek IV fame? :-)

As for their usefulness in urban riding, I suppose a fairing could be
useful in rainy climates. Those potholes can make for might annoying
splashes.

--
I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Mikael Seierup
August 10th 03, 01:49 PM
"Victor Kan" skrev

> As for their usefulness in urban riding, I suppose a fairing could be
> useful in rainy climates. Those potholes can make for might annoying
> splashes.

Hmm. Dont think a fariring would help much actually.
Most I know are mounted so the rear of your frontwheel
is behind the fairing so you'd still get to enjoy the splash without fenders.
They keep your legs dry up to the knees if lucky when it rains. :-)

My fairing is nice in headwinds even though it just means getting
to the next red light faster and with less effort.

Regards
Mikael

Joao de Souza
August 10th 03, 02:55 PM
skip wrote:

> Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless of
> course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.

I ride with traffic. That means I must be able to maintain 30+ mph
speeds while surrounded by cars. Also, even when the traffic is light,
the speed of the green-wave is 30mph. So I still want to go that fast
in order to avoid red lights.

skip
August 10th 03, 03:28 PM
"Joao de Souza" > wrote in message

> skip wrote:
>
> > Whatever. Aren't fairing pretty much useless in urban riding? Unless
of
> > course they happened to be bulletproof which they aren't.
>
> I ride with traffic. That means I must be able to maintain 30+ mph
> speeds while surrounded by cars. Also, even when the traffic is light,
> the speed of the green-wave is 30mph. So I still want to go that fast
> in order to avoid red lights.

Pedal on Joao. Watch out for the cabbies.

skip

Dave Larrington
August 11th 03, 11:34 AM
What Jeff said. I used mine for a Several of years commuting into central
London. Which the extra mass made it a little more sluggish off the line,
and the extra length a little more difficult to weave around stationary tin
boxes, overall the trade-off was worth it.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

JoeG
August 12th 03, 04:58 AM
I agree - the only time the fairing on my GRR is not worth the weight is
when climbing mountain passes; and it's close, even then.

I would say it is most useful for urban riding; which is mostly all I do -
it keeps the rain off.

"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message
> What Jeff said. I used mine for a Several of years commuting into central
> London. Which the extra mass made it a little more sluggish off the line,
> and the extra length a little more difficult to weave around stationary
tin
> boxes, overall the trade-off was worth it.
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
> ================================================== =========
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
> ================================================== =========

chere
August 12th 03, 12:05 PM
I have the notion that the fairing on my GRR will
assist in the event of a head-on with another
rider. Sanibel bike paths (yes, I ride the path
as there are too many "blind", inconsiderate
drivers in our neck of FL) are loaded with
cyclists who think they're the only ones in
existence. I've had the misfortune of a run-in on
a d/f years ago and MANY close calls on my 'bent.
It's my belief the Kevlar between me and anything
"incoming" may prevent a puncture wound or at
least lessen the severity of injury in the event
of a crash; a sort of "shield" if you will.
Here's hoping I don't have to find out.

--
Chere ~ GRR
Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD