PDA

View Full Version : Re: Wanted: fully suspended SWB 20/26

Ian
August 8th 03, 07:38 PM
Gene Cosloy must be edykated coz e writed:

> I would like to purchase a fully suspended SWB recumbent 20/26. I've
> read about HPvelotechnik, Challenge and M-5 shockproof. Since I
> haven't ridden any of them perhaps owners of each could give me some
> advice. I'm 5'10" 175lbs and commute and tour. I ride about 40 mi once
> a week on urban streets that give me some uncomfortable jolts on my
> Burley Taiko set up as a SWB. For better paved roads I love and cannot
> fault the Burley which I ride 60 mi per week on the other days. If
> someone has any of the above they would like to sell, I'm interested.
>
> Gene Cosloy
I have a Challenge Wizard which is a great machine, very comfy, nice to
ride, agile, very versatile, never had any problems, highly recommended.

Ian

Rodney Kuehl
August 8th 03, 11:15 PM
> I have a Challenge Wizard which is a great machine, very comfy, nice to
> ride, agile, very versatile, never had any problems, highly recommended.
>
> Ian

Hear, hear Ian. I owned a Wizard, too. Awesome ride. Sold it to a fellow
in Austin, TX so I can play Bacchetta. That need for speed thing. You can
always suspend the front. The stock fork is pretty beefy.

I think www.poweroncycling.com has a fire engine red frameset. Plus there's
pictures of the Wizards he built up. If that's the kind of bike you want,
I'd highly endorse it.

Rod Kuehl
RANS V2
Nude Strada
Riverview, FL

Edward Dolan
August 8th 03, 11:21 PM
(Gene Cosloy) wrote in message >...

> I would like to purchase a fully suspended SWB recumbent 20/26. I've
> read about HPvelotechnik, Challenge and M-5 shockproof. Since I
> haven't ridden any of them perhaps owners of each could give me some
> advice. I'm 5'10" 175lbs and commute and tour. I ride about 40 mi once
> a week on urban streets that give me some uncomfortable jolts on my
> Burley Taiko set up as a SWB. For better paved roads I love and cannot
> fault the Burley which I ride 60 mi per week on the other days. If
> someone has any of the above they would like to sell, I'm interested.
>
> Gene Cosloy

It is highly debatable if bicycles need any suspension at all (except
for off-road). After all the weights involved are not very high. I
think judiciously regulating the tire pressures could easily handle
any comfort issues that might arise from rough roads. Since you are
not doing any huge number of miles anyway, I would suggest you get the
kind of tires (dual pressure) where you can vary the tire pressure and
thereby get your suspension exactly right for the roads that you are
riding. Another way to handle rough roads of course is just to slow
down some. I have never seen any reason for suspension for bicycles
that are going to be ridden on roads.

Also, does your Taiko set up long wheelbase? This would be another way
of taking some of the jolts out of the road.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

BentHeadSWB
August 9th 03, 06:57 PM
Gene,
I run a fully suspended SWB and love it! However, I also ride on dirt
roads and take my bent to other countries with roads that are not as smooth.
If you want something to take the edge off, get Pantour suspension hubs for
your Burley. You can also get a suspension fork for your SWB and maybe put a
Pantour suspension hub on the back.

John H
N TX

DeVon
August 10th 03, 03:11 PM
(Gene Cosloy) wrote in message >...
> (Edward Dolan) wrote in message >...
> > (Gene Cosloy) wrote in message >...
> >
> > > I would like to purchase a fully suspended SWB recumbent 20/26. I've
> > > read about HPvelotechnik, Challenge and M-5 shockproof. Since I
> > > haven't ridden any of them perhaps owners of each could give me some
> > > advice. I'm 5'10" 175lbs and commute and tour. I ride about 40 mi once
> > > a week on urban streets that give me some uncomfortable jolts on my
> > > Burley Taiko set up as a SWB. For better paved roads I love and cannot
> > > fault the Burley which I ride 60 mi per week on the other days. If
> > > someone has any of the above they would like to sell, I'm interested.
> > >
> > > Gene Cosloy
> >
> > It is highly debatable if bicycles need any suspension at all (except
> > for off-road). After all the weights involved are not very high. I
> > think judiciously regulating the tire pressures could easily handle
> > any comfort issues that might arise from rough roads. Since you are
> > not doing any huge number of miles anyway, I would suggest you get the
> > kind of tires (dual pressure) where you can vary the tire pressure and
> > thereby get your suspension exactly right for the roads that you are
> > riding. Another way to handle rough roads of course is just to slow
> > down some. I have never seen any reason for suspension for bicycles
> > that are going to be ridden on roads.
> >
> > Also, does your Taiko set up long wheelbase? This would be another way
> > of taking some of the jolts out of the road.
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> Hi Ed,
> Thanks for the tips. I certainly agree with the comment about long
> wheel base on the Taiko which is possible.The ride is much more
> forgiving on bumpy surfaces and no apparent loss of speed. However,
> for the time being the majority of my riding is commuting and I need
> to get my bike standing upright into a small elevator at my shop which
> is easy and possible in the SWB mode and quite difficult in the LWB
> mode. I will definitly try lowering air pressure and see if that helps
> though.
>
> Gene

Don't rule out a Vision 50-54-55. Since the suspension geometry was
changed in 2000 these bikes perform very well. I just sold a 54 which
was set up with Pantour front hub (in place of Ballistic suspension
fork) that weighed in just under 30 lbs. I sold it because I wanted
to cut more weight with Pantours on both ends and got a very nice deal
on a low mileage Vision 44. At this point I have only replaced the
front hub and will likely stay with that setup. It is amazing how
much relief the suspension hub gives for road vibrations. If you want
even more cushion, you can go to wider, high-pressure tires. I
personally don't like to ride with lower pressure as it means more
work .. usually enough that I can feel the difference. The suspension
hub robs very little, if any, energy. In your position, I would
seriously consider picking up a Pantour hub .. see if that will meet
your needs. If not, you can get a bike with rear suspension and rigid
front fork and simply use your Pantour front hub to give you full
suspension. (The Pantour hub will not be adequate for off-road
suspension, but for road vibrations and even crushed stone trails it
works very well.)

Steve in SC
August 11th 03, 01:49 AM
(Gene Cosloy) wrote in message >...
> I would like to purchase a fully suspended SWB recumbent 20/26. I've
> read about HPvelotechnik, Challenge and M-5 shockproof. Since I
> haven't ridden any of them perhaps owners of each could give me some
> advice.

I ride the 451 iteration of the M5 Shock Proof. My bike has full
suspension, although the bike is available with rear suspension only.
Be aware that the Shock Proof is configered as a 451/451 or a 406/406
only. It is an extremely fast bike, although the fully reclined seat
and the high bottom bracket may make it less than ideal for congested
urban riding. The suspension is highly effective. I also own a VRex.
At one time I also held the opinion that suspension was of dubious
value on a road bike. The RANS seat and the 406/1.73 and 559/1.5 tires
do a very good job as "passive suspension" on the VRex. But higher
performance requires narrow, high pressure tires, a stiff frame, and a
hard shell seat. Such a bike requires suspension for comfort on less
than ideal roads.

Edward Dolan
August 11th 03, 09:05 PM
(Steve in SC) wrote in message >...

> But higher
> performance requires narrow, high pressure tires, a stiff frame, and a
> hard shell seat. Such a bike requires suspension for comfort on less
> than ideal roads.

Lower performance allows wide, low pressure tires, a flexible frame
and a mesh seat with lots of foam layered in. Such a bike does not
require suspension for comfort on any kind of roads whatsoever. I
sometimes think ARBR ought to be split into two divisions: high
performance and low performance.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan
August 11th 03, 09:22 PM
(DeVon) wrote in message >...

> If you want
> even more cushion, you can go to wider, high-pressure tires. I
> personally don't like to ride with lower pressure as it means more
> work .. usually enough that I can feel the difference.

Agreed. But it is one way of taking some of the jolts out of bad
roads. I will trade off a little extra work for a more forgiving ride.
What I hate above all else is to be constantly feeling every crack in
the road (I think we must have the worst roads in the world here in
southern Minnesota because of all the freezing and thawing that goes
on all winter). What a misery that is! Sometimes just taking a few
pounds pressure out of the tires will make all the difference in the
world. But it will slightly slow you down, but that also helps with
the bad roads. My solution is low tech; your solution is high tech. My
solution will not cost you anything; your solution will. Everyone has
to decided for themselves which way to go.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Michaeleye
August 12th 03, 02:10 AM
(Steve in SC) wrote in message >...
> (Gene Cosloy) wrote in message >...
> > I would like to purchase a fully suspended SWB recumbent 20/26. I've
> > read about HPvelotechnik, Challenge and M-5 shockproof. Since I
> > haven't ridden any of them perhaps owners of each could give me some
> > advice.
>
> I ride the 451 iteration of the M5 Shock Proof. My bike has full
> suspension, although the bike is available with rear suspension only.
> Be aware that the Shock Proof is configered as a 451/451 or a 406/406
> only. It is an extremely fast bike, although the fully reclined seat
> and the high bottom bracket may make it less than ideal for congested
> urban riding. The suspension is highly effective. I also own a VRex.
> At one time I also held the opinion that suspension was of dubious
> value on a road bike. The RANS seat and the 406/1.73 and 559/1.5 tires
> do a very good job as "passive suspension" on the VRex. But higher
> performance requires narrow, high pressure tires, a stiff frame, and a
> hard shell seat. Such a bike requires suspension for comfort on less

I have a Raduis Hornet which has what you are looking for for sale
retail is 2200, make me an offer
> than ideal roads.

Tony
August 12th 03, 01:28 PM
Hi Gene,

On 8 Aug 2003 11:34:47 -0700, (Gene Cosloy) wrote:

>I would like to purchase a fully suspended SWB recumbent 20/26.

There is one listed on the Hostelshoppe.com classifieds board, a
Vision R-50 with USS. It's listed at:

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.cgi?view=bikes

Good Luck,

Tony