PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Central Illinois Bent Riders

harryo
August 12th 03, 07:29 PM
I am planning an informal ride starting from LeRoy, IL, which is 20
miles southeast of Bloomington-Normal, this Saturday, Aug. 16th. The
start time is negotiatable, whatever works for the most riders. Route
and distance is also negotiatable. If anyone in the Central Illinois
area just wants to get together for a ride and some enjoyable
fellowship, email me and we will get something set up. My wife and I
will be riding Saturday anyway and it would be great to meet some new
friends and to get some old ones together again. All riders, of all
skill levels, are welcome. This is an unsupported ride for the pure
fun of riding.

Harry Jiles

Tom Sherman
August 13th 03, 04:22 AM
harryo wrote:

> I am planning an informal ride starting from LeRoy, IL, which is 20
> miles southeast of Bloomington-Normal, this Saturday, Aug. 16th. The
> start time is negotiatable, whatever works for the most riders. Route
> and distance is also negotiatable. If anyone in the Central Illinois
> area just wants to get together for a ride and some enjoyable
> fellowship, email me and we will get something set up. My wife and I
> will be riding Saturday anyway and it would be great to meet some new
> friends and to get some old ones together again. All riders, of all
> skill levels, are welcome. This is an unsupported ride for the pure
> fun of riding.

There are roads in this area that actually have hills, curves and trees
along them, despite being in the middle of "The Great Illinois Corn
Desert". [1] One of the more attractive areas in East Central Illinois
to ride, if I may immodestly say so.

[1] So called by Mike Stern in an article in RCN.

harryo
August 13th 03, 05:14 AM
(harryo) wrote in message >...
> I am planning an informal ride starting from LeRoy, IL, which is 20
> miles southeast of Bloomington-Normal, this Saturday, Aug. 16th. The
> start time is negotiatable, whatever works for the most riders. Route
> and distance is also negotiatable. If anyone in the Central Illinois
> area just wants to get together for a ride and some enjoyable
> fellowship, email me and we will get something set up. My wife and I
> will be riding Saturday anyway and it would be great to meet some new
> friends and to get some old ones together again. All riders, of all
> skill levels, are welcome. This is an unsupported ride for the pure
> fun of riding.
>
> Harry Jiles

I had a response from someone who might not be able to ride Saturday,
so if anyone can ride Sunday afternoon, let me know. I picked
Saturday because the weather forecast for Sunday has a chance of
showers but that could change. I will ride both days, if there is
interest, and if there aren't thunderstorms or torrential downpours.
I don't mind a little rain but drenching rain and lightning aren't my
favorites!

Harry Jiles

Tom Sherman
August 13th 03, 06:10 AM
harryo wrote:

> I had a response from someone who might not be able to ride Saturday,
> so if anyone can ride Sunday afternoon, let me know. I picked
> Saturday because the weather forecast for Sunday has a chance of
> showers but that could change. I will ride both days, if there is
> interest, and if there aren't thunderstorms or torrential downpours.
> I don't mind a little rain but drenching rain and lightning aren't my
> favorites!

Harry,

It only rains when I plan the ride.

BikerTriker
August 13th 03, 08:27 PM
Harry
Thanks for the invite but we are going over to Keosauqua Ia this
weekend and ride in Van Buren Co on both Saturday and sunday.
Dave
(harryo) wrote in message >...
> I am planning an informal ride starting from LeRoy, IL, which is 20
> miles southeast of Bloomington-Normal, this Saturday, Aug. 16th. The
> start time is negotiatable, whatever works for the most riders. Route
> and distance is also negotiatable. If anyone in the Central Illinois
> area just wants to get together for a ride and some enjoyable
> fellowship, email me and we will get something set up. My wife and I
> will be riding Saturday anyway and it would be great to meet some new
> friends and to get some old ones together again. All riders, of all
> skill levels, are welcome. This is an unsupported ride for the pure
> fun of riding.
>
> Harry Jiles

harryo
August 14th 03, 02:28 AM
Tom Sherman > wrote in message >...
> harryo wrote:
> >
> > I had a response from someone who might not be able to ride Saturday,
> > so if anyone can ride Sunday afternoon, let me know. I picked
> > Saturday because the weather forecast for Sunday has a chance of
> > showers but that could change. I will ride both days, if there is
> > interest, and if there aren't thunderstorms or torrential downpours.
> > I don't mind a little rain but drenching rain and lightning aren't my
> > favorites!
>
> Harry,
>
> It only rains when I plan the ride.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Right, Tom! How could I forget?

Harry

harryo
August 14th 03, 02:42 AM
Tom Sherman > wrote in message >...

> There are roads in this area that actually have hills, curves and trees
> along them, despite being in the middle of "The Great Illinois Corn
> Desert". [1] One of the more attractive areas in East Central Illinois
> to ride, if I may immodestly say so.
>
> [1] So called by Mike Stern in an article in RCN.

I just did one of my favorite routes this evening. It is a loop along
the top of the glacial moraine which runs from just north of LeRoy to
several miles east of Saybrook. It has all that Tom mentions.
Another such route is one Tom, himself, put together and follows the
North Fork of the Salt Creek, from LeRoy to the North Fork boat access
at Clinton Lake, and back. This one is always great but is really
nice in the fall, when the leaves are showing color. We can do either
of these, or both, this weekend.

Harry

harryo
August 14th 03, 03:16 AM
(BikerTriker) wrote in message >...
> Harry
> Thanks for the invite but we are going over to Keosauqua Ia this
> weekend and ride in Van Buren Co on both Saturday and sunday.
> Dave

Maybe another time, Dave. What I would like to do is get the
CIRC(Central Illinois Recumbent Community) active again. I didn't get
involved with CIRC until the summer of 2000, when I started riding a
bike again, after almost 20 years of not riding, and got my 1st bent.
The group was fairly active that year and had been very active in
previous years, but it has since become almost defunct. I think this
is mainly because several members, who were very active in planning
rides, moved from the area.

I, myself, seem to have had less personal time to ride with a group
during the last couple of summers but I am going to make an effort to
try and plan more group rides in the future and hopefully, others will
respond, both to ride and plan other rides. There is a group set up
on Yahoo Groups, where interested parties can join an email list for
communicating with each other. Right now there are only 14 members.
Hopefully we can grow that number and get the group active again.

For anyone interested, you can join the email list, or just view past
and present messages at:

Harry

harryo
August 16th 03, 03:20 AM
Mike Haggerty and myself are meeting at tomorrow morning, 8/16, at
Woody's truck stop in LeRoy, to do a ride. There might be a couple of
ohers show up. also. We will either ride Tom Sherman's loop to
Clinton Lake NFA and back or north to Moraine View State Park and then
east, along the moraine, and back. We can get lunch at Woody's after
the ride. If anyone else wants to show up, they are certainly
welcome. The plan is to start by 9:00 am.

Harry

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home