PDA

View Full Version : this newsgroup's URL

Steve Fox
August 16th 03, 10:10 PM
If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

--
Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA

Cletus D. Lee
August 17th 03, 01:47 AM
In article <e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>, says...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.

The news:// hyperlink needs to point to the name of a news server not a
news group.
Like news://news.individual.net/ You still need to subscribe to the NG
on that server and you still need access right to the news server.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Cletus D. Lee
August 17th 03, 01:47 AM
In article <e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>, says...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.

The news:// hyperlink needs to point to the name of a news server not a
news group.
Like news://news.individual.net/ You still need to subscribe to the NG
on that server and you still need access right to the news server.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

john riley
August 17th 03, 02:17 AM
Steve Fox > wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks!

Try:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent&spell=1

or:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=48c6e56aa04c2b717856804a6494efc f&forumid=59

john riley
August 17th 03, 02:17 AM
Steve Fox > wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks!

Try:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent&spell=1

or:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=48c6e56aa04c2b717856804a6494efc f&forumid=59

Bill Anton
August 17th 03, 04:17 AM
Steve Fox > wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks!

Try this URL:

http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Bill Anton
August 17th 03, 04:17 AM
Steve Fox > wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks!

Try this URL:

http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Giolla Decair
August 19th 03, 08:42 PM
previously Steve Fox may have written article
<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04> saying:
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.

That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just
tried it with lynx and came straight here.

Alternatively you can specify an exact server using:
nntp://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

--
Giolla Decair
"Missed it

Giolla Decair
August 19th 03, 08:42 PM
previously Steve Fox may have written article
<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04> saying:
> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> that doesn't seem to work.

That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just
tried it with lynx and came straight here.

Alternatively you can specify an exact server using:
nntp://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

--
Giolla Decair
"Missed it
the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

Giolla Decair
August 19th 03, 08:43 PM
previously Bill Anton may have written article
> saying:
> Steve Fox > wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
>> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
>> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
>> that doesn't seem to work.
[snip]
> Try this URL:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup.
Just 'cos google provides a web interface to usenet doesn't make it
the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */
provide an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.

--
Giolla "I remember when it wasn't september" Decair
"Missed it
the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

Giolla Decair
August 19th 03, 08:43 PM
previously Bill Anton may have written article
> saying:
> Steve Fox > wrote in message news:<e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04>...
>> If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
>> written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
>> that doesn't seem to work.
[snip]
> Try this URL:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup.
Just 'cos google provides a web interface to usenet doesn't make it
the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */
provide an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.

--
Giolla "I remember when it wasn't september" Decair
"Missed it
the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

Steve Fox
August 20th 03, 04:14 AM
Giolla,

I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the group. So, I can't
specify a particular server, can I?

Steve

Giolla Decair wrote:

>previously Steve Fox may have written article
><e7x%a.660$n94.516@fed1read04> saying:
>

>>If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
>>written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
>>that doesn't seem to work.
>>

>That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just
>tried it with lynx and came straight here.
>
>Alternatively you can specify an exact server using:
>nntp://name_of_newsserver/alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

--
Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA
http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

Cletus Lee
August 20th 03, 01:25 PM
In article <mKB0b.3191$n94.1141@fed1read04>, says...
> Giolla,
>
> I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the group. So, I can't
> specify a particular server, can I?

> >>If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> >>written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> >>that doesn't seem to work.
> >>

> >That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just
> >tried it with lynx and came straight here.

Then you really do not understand how Newsgroups work do you?

A news message is just a special email. Instead of being sent to a mail server to be forwarded
on to the mail server of the recipient(s), It is sent to a News Server. That News server
passes that message along to the next news server up the line where it is eventually
distributed to all the other news servers in the known universe.

The news server that you use harvests all messages that it receives from all newsservers and
sorts those messages into news groups like ARBR and alt.rec.smut etc. Your news server will
hold the messages in a queue for a period of time (days or hours) After that time the messages
are deleted from that news server. While the messages are being held on that news server,
anyone on the newsserver's subscription list can log on to that news server and download any
messages

You can read news messages from a news server with a news client. That client can be a program
like Microplanet Gravity or Forte's Agent or Outlook. It can even be in a Browser like Opera
or Netscape or Lynx. IE uses Outlook by default as its newsreader. Some web sites like Google
manage their own news server and server up web pages as news clients so no news reader is
needed

So, Which news server do you subscribe to? Is it 'news.cox.net' (your ISP) or
News.Individual.NET or do you just use Google to browse news messages?

The 'folks from all over' need a news client to read news messages ant they need to subscribe
to a news server. Some news servers are free like News.Individual.NET or the one managed by
Google. Most cost, like the one you paid for with your ISP Subscription.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Cletus Lee
August 20th 03, 01:25 PM
In article <mKB0b.3191$n94.1141@fed1read04>, says...
> Giolla,
>
> I'm trying to direct folks from all over to the group. So, I can't
> specify a particular server, can I?

> >>If you want to provide this newsgroup as a hyperlink, how is that
> >>written? My though is that it's: news:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. But
> >>that doesn't seem to work.
> >>

> >That is correct. However you need to have a news server defined. Just
> >tried it with lynx and came straight here.

Then you really do not understand how Newsgroups work do you?

A news message is just a special email. Instead of being sent to a mail server to be forwarded
on to the mail server of the recipient(s), It is sent to a News Server. That News server
passes that message along to the next news server up the line where it is eventually
distributed to all the other news servers in the known universe.

The news server that you use harvests all messages that it receives from all newsservers and
sorts those messages into news groups like ARBR and alt.rec.smut etc. Your news server will
hold the messages in a queue for a period of time (days or hours) After that time the messages
are deleted from that news server. While the messages are being held on that news server,
anyone on the newsserver's subscription list can log on to that news server and download any
messages

You can read news messages from a news server with a news client. That client can be a program
like Microplanet Gravity or Forte's Agent or Outlook. It can even be in a Browser like Opera
or Netscape or Lynx. IE uses Outlook by default as its newsreader. Some web sites like Google
manage their own news server and server up web pages as news clients so no news reader is
needed

So, Which news server do you subscribe to? Is it 'news.cox.net' (your ISP) or
News.Individual.NET or do you just use Google to browse news messages?

The 'folks from all over' need a news client to read news messages ant they need to subscribe
to a news server. Some news servers are free like News.Individual.NET or the one managed by
Google. Most cost, like the one you paid for with your ISP Subscription.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Giolla Decair
August 20th 03, 01:44 PM
previously Bill Hamilton may have written article
> saying:
> Giolla Decair > wrote in
> :
[snip]
>>> Try this URL:
>>> http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
>> Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup.
>> Just 'cos google provides a web interface to usenet doesn't make it
>> the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */
>> provide an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.
> Umm, the only way to have a web link that goes to a usenet group is to
> have it go through a web server for that group. At least, that's the

Not true, same way as a mailto: url doesn't go to a web page but instead
invokes you mail client, an news: url should invoke your news reader.
/* ditto for telnet: */ Browsers with associated news readers will do
this, e.g. Netscape and lynx possibly also mozzila.

> only way _I_ know. If you know of another way, please, educate the rest
> of the class. Don't simply say "No, that's wrong" without giving us the
> right answer.

The thing about URL's is they are a standard way of specifying a resource
on the internet, most commonly this is a web page, but the URL
specification covers far more protocols than just http. In theory the
appropriate program will be called to deal with the URL being accessed.
E.g. you click on a http: url in your mail client your web browser start
you click on a mailto: url in your web browser your mail client starts,
telnet: url your telnet client starts
a news: url should start your news reader, sendingit directly to it's
local news server.

> What Steve appears to be asking for is a way to point a web user to the
> group. The only way to do that is to point that user to a web-based
> server.

That depends on thier browser, and as there is a proper way of specifying
a newsgroup within the URL specificationit's better practice to use that.
For people with browsers that can handle news: URLs it will provide far
faster and more convenient access as it will be going to a more local
resource.

> It's much like, you can give a person your email address, but it does
> them no good without a mail server to send it from. So, you also give
> them the address to Hotmail (or Yahoo, or some other web email service),
> so they can create an account and then send you email.

On the other hand why tell people they have to use a hotmail account to
send e-mail when there are many alternatives and they probably have an
e-mail address already?

See RFC 1738 for more details about what URLs are and what they can and
can't do.

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/doc/rfc/rfc1738.txt

--
Giolla Decair
"Missed it
the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

Giolla Decair
August 20th 03, 01:44 PM
previously Bill Hamilton may have written article
> saying:
> Giolla Decair > wrote in
> :
[snip]
>>> Try this URL:
>>> http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
>> Peh. That's a link to a web server not to a newsgroup.
>> Just 'cos google provides a web interface to usenet doesn't make it
>> the correct way to link to usenet. Just as you wouldn't /* I hope */
>> provide an e-mail link by linking to hotmail.
> Umm, the only way to have a web link that goes to a usenet group is to
> have it go through a web server for that group. At least, that's the

Not true, same way as a mailto: url doesn't go to a web page but instead
invokes you mail client, an news: url should invoke your news reader.
/* ditto for telnet: */ Browsers with associated news readers will do
this, e.g. Netscape and lynx possibly also mozzila.

> only way _I_ know. If you know of another way, please, educate the rest
> of the class. Don't simply say "No, that's wrong" without giving us the
> right answer.

The thing about URL's is they are a standard way of specifying a resource
on the internet, most commonly this is a web page, but the URL
specification covers far more protocols than just http. In theory the
appropriate program will be called to deal with the URL being accessed.
E.g. you click on a http: url in your mail client your web browser start
you click on a mailto: url in your web browser your mail client starts,
telnet: url your telnet client starts
a news: url should start your news reader, sendingit directly to it's
local news server.

> What Steve appears to be asking for is a way to point a web user to the
> group. The only way to do that is to point that user to a web-based
> server.

That depends on thier browser, and as there is a proper way of specifying
a newsgroup within the URL specificationit's better practice to use that.
For people with browsers that can handle news: URLs it will provide far
faster and more convenient access as it will be going to a more local
resource.

> It's much like, you can give a person your email address, but it does
> them no good without a mail server to send it from. So, you also give
> them the address to Hotmail (or Yahoo, or some other web email service),
> so they can create an account and then send you email.

On the other hand why tell people they have to use a hotmail account to
send e-mail when there are many alternatives and they probably have an
e-mail address already?

See RFC 1738 for more details about what URLs are and what they can and
can't do.

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/doc/rfc/rfc1738.txt

--
Giolla Decair
"Missed it
the moment to join in the laugh" - George Marsh

Chris Champion
August 20th 03, 11:37 PM
Respectfully to everyone,

Giolla is correct. As long as your browser can handle news URLs properly,
you should be able to click on a hypertext link specifying a news url and it
should fire up your default news reader. In my case, I clicked on Giolla's
message (quoted below), and it fired up my Outlook News client (Outlook
Express 6 for Windoze).

Try pasting this line of code in a HTML page:

If it doesn't fire up, you may have to configure your default newsreader.
(IE6 for Windoze: tools, options, programs)

--
o o Chris Champion
.\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB

> Nope you'll need to use the:
> format, but not every browser is capable of displaying news groups, so
> for some it might not work.

Chris Champion
August 20th 03, 11:37 PM
Respectfully to everyone,

Giolla is correct. As long as your browser can handle news URLs properly,
you should be able to click on a hypertext link specifying a news url and it
should fire up your default news reader. In my case, I clicked on Giolla's
message (quoted below), and it fired up my Outlook News client (Outlook
Express 6 for Windoze).

Try pasting this line of code in a HTML page:

If it doesn't fire up, you may have to configure your default newsreader.
(IE6 for Windoze: tools, options, programs)

--
o o Chris Champion
.\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB
( ) () Double Vision R85

> Nope you'll need to use the:
> format, but not every browser is capable of displaying news groups, so
> for some it might not work.

Steve Fox
August 21st 03, 03:34 AM
And Chris is right. His link brings you straight here. Many thanks
Giolla and Chris!

Steve

--

--