PDA

View Full Version : Re: ZZipper or Mueller for TE?

Dr. Duk
August 27th 03, 07:56 AM
Mike Rice wrote:
> My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a
> fairing ready and waiting and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super
> ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have read somewhere that the
> Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I
> wonder if there's any difference in performance.
> Anybody with experience care to compare the two?
> Thanks,
> Mike Rice

My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched
the Mueller and the ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being
that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight of the Mueller
and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I
have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have
a little noise than to create a non-performing TE.

Bruce Griffin
August 27th 03, 06:29 PM
There is a way to eliminate the road noise one gets with the Zipper
fairing on a TE, GRR of TIR. Replace the bottom fairing mount with a
piece of flexible 3/16" thick piece of rubber cut into a 1" strip and
folded into a 180 degree bend. Simply fasten each of the ends onto
the existing fairing mounts.
My brother devised this mount and it works exceptionally well and
takes the road noise away without undo flex. A sample has been sent
to Gardner. The flexible rubber strip is about 2 1/2" long before
folding into a 180 degree bend.

BG

Dr. Duk > wrote in message >...
> Mike Rice wrote:
> > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a
> > fairing ready and waiting and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super
> > ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have read somewhere that the
> > Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I
> > wonder if there's any difference in performance.
> > Anybody with experience care to compare the two?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike Rice
>

> My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched
> the Mueller and the ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being
> that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight of the Mueller
> and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I
> have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have
> a little noise than to create a non-performing TE.

B17 GUY
August 27th 03, 07:29 PM
I have a Zipper on my US made EZ-1 and a Mueller on my Stratus.

The Windwrap is quieter,more stable and gives better coverage.

I would go for the Mueller.

The weight difference is in ounces,not a big deal.

Guy

B17 GUY
August 27th 03, 07:29 PM
I have a Zipper on my US made EZ-1 and a Mueller on my Stratus.

The Windwrap is quieter,more stable and gives better coverage.

I would go for the Mueller.

The weight difference is in ounces,not a big deal.

Guy

Dave Clary
August 28th 03, 02:59 AM
On 27 Aug 2003 18:29:19 GMT, (B17 GUY) wrote:

>I have a Zipper on my US made EZ-1 and a Mueller on my Stratus.
>
>The Windwrap is quieter,more stable and gives better coverage.
>
>I would go for the Mueller.
>
>The weight difference is in ounces,not a big deal.
>
>Guy

Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I
don't believe I'm asking this). :-)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary

Dave Clary
August 28th 03, 02:59 AM
On 27 Aug 2003 18:29:19 GMT, (B17 GUY) wrote:

>I have a Zipper on my US made EZ-1 and a Mueller on my Stratus.
>
>The Windwrap is quieter,more stable and gives better coverage.
>
>I would go for the Mueller.
>
>The weight difference is in ounces,not a big deal.
>
>Guy

Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I
don't believe I'm asking this). :-)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary

Steve Fox
August 28th 03, 05:00 AM
What weight?

What handling characteristics?

Dr. Duk wrote:

>Mike Rice wrote:
> > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a
> > fairing ready and waiting and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super
> > ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have read somewhere that the
> > Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I
> > wonder if there's any difference in performance.
> > Anybody with experience care to compare the two?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike Rice
>

>My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched
>the Mueller and the ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being
>that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight of the Mueller
>and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I
>have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have
>a little noise than to create a non-performing TE.
>

>--

Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA
http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

Dr. Duk wrote:

>Mike Rice wrote:
> > My Tour Easy should be here in three weeks <grin>. I want to have a
> > fairing ready and waiting and was hoping for opinions. I know the Super
> > ZZipper is what Easy Racers offers, but have read somewhere that the
> > Mueller is quieter. The ZZipper looks to have a somewhat rounder nose, I
> > wonder if there's any difference in performance.
> > Anybody with experience care to compare the two?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike Rice
>

>My ZZipper should be in the bike shop this week for my TE. I researched
>the Mueller and the ZZipper b4 I purchased the later. The reason being
>that it was recommended for the TE because of the weight of the Mueller
>and the change in handling characteristicsthat the Mueller created. I
>have read about the noise of the ZZipper but I guess I would rather have
>a little noise than to create a non-performing TE.
>

>--

Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA
http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

B17 GUY
August 29th 03, 03:42 AM
When we ordered the EZ-1 from Tour Easy some years back the Zzipper fairing was
a factory installed accessory.

Perhaps a call (is Luke still there?) would get you the model number.

Guy

B17 GUY
August 29th 03, 03:42 AM
When we ordered the EZ-1 from Tour Easy some years back the Zzipper fairing was
a factory installed accessory.

Perhaps a call (is Luke still there?) would get you the model number.

Guy

Bill B
August 29th 03, 08:48 PM
Dave Clary > wrote in message

> Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I
> don't believe I'm asking this). :-)
Come on Dave!! Now that your back on a bent your just itching for
speed. Deep down or maybe just a millimeter down inside is a yearing
for another light weight performance bent[another P38 or maybe a Aero
or???]

Bill B
August 29th 03, 08:48 PM
Dave Clary > wrote in message

> Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I
> don't believe I'm asking this). :-)
Come on Dave!! Now that your back on a bent your just itching for
speed. Deep down or maybe just a millimeter down inside is a yearing
for another light weight performance bent[another P38 or maybe a Aero
or???]

Dave Clary
August 29th 03, 11:43 PM
On 29 Aug 2003 12:48:29 -0700, (Bill B) wrote:

>Dave Clary > wrote in message
>>
>> Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I
>> don't believe I'm asking this). :-)
>Come on Dave!! Now that your back on a bent your just itching for
>speed. Deep down or maybe just a millimeter down inside is a yearing
>for another light weight performance bent[another P38 or maybe a Aero
>or???]

You can't cure upgrade fever, you can only try to control the
symptoms!

Now excuse me--I have new shafts and heads waiting in the garage to
become my new set of golf clubs.

:-)

P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

Dave Clary
August 29th 03, 11:43 PM
On 29 Aug 2003 12:48:29 -0700, (Bill B) wrote:

>Dave Clary > wrote in message
>>
>> Is there a stock Zzipper made for the EZ-1? How about a Meuller? (I
>> don't believe I'm asking this). :-)
>Come on Dave!! Now that your back on a bent your just itching for
>speed. Deep down or maybe just a millimeter down inside is a yearing
>for another light weight performance bent[another P38 or maybe a Aero
>or???]

You can't cure upgrade fever, you can only try to control the
symptoms!

Now excuse me--I have new shafts and heads waiting in the garage to
become my new set of golf clubs.

:-)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

Randy Brown
August 30th 03, 02:31 AM
Could you guys describe in a little more detail the rubber mount
you've created for the ZZipper fairing on a TE? I don't quite get it
from the messages posted so far.

TIA

Randy Brown
August 30th 03, 02:31 AM
Could you guys describe in a little more detail the rubber mount
you've created for the ZZipper fairing on a TE? I don't quite get it
from the messages posted so far.

TIA

Randy Brown
August 30th 03, 02:32 AM
Regarding the ZZipper over the Mueller: I read an article in ERRC
newsletter about a test Gardner did comparing fairings. The test was
basically to roll down a hill and see what the speed was at the
bottom, and then see how far the bike rolled up the next hill. This
tests wind resistance, etc. The full ZZipper performed significantly
better than the Mueller.

I bought a fairing to help remove wind resistance.

Randy Brown
August 30th 03, 02:32 AM
Regarding the ZZipper over the Mueller: I read an article in ERRC
newsletter about a test Gardner did comparing fairings. The test was
basically to roll down a hill and see what the speed was at the
bottom, and then see how far the bike rolled up the next hill. This
tests wind resistance, etc. The full ZZipper performed significantly
better than the Mueller.

I bought a fairing to help remove wind resistance.

Dr. Duk
August 31st 03, 02:09 AM
[ Also, Dr. Duk mentioned ' the change in handling characteristicsthat
the Mueller created'. This is the first I've heard of this & would
greatlyu appreciate some elaboration.

Mike Rice

Mike:

When I was rsearching the difference between the Mueller and ZZipper I
read an article written by Bob Bryant of RCN Magazine. In this article
he tested both fairings and in his judgement the ZZipper (faired)
better then the Mueller. He said that he noticed that the Mueller
changed the handling characteristics of the TE he was testing. That is
the only record of my statement. My fairing has not arrived in the BS
ao hopefully in the very near future I can update my TE and by the way
I Jussssssssttttttt love my TE. It is a great bent and well deserved
of its reputation and following. Good Luck. Dr. Duk:cool:

[...]

REDBENT
August 31st 03, 06:22 AM
Hi Guy's!

What I got from Bruce Griffin's post is that you take a piece of 3/16"
thick rubber, cut it into a piece 1" wide X 2 1/2" long. Bend it in
half. Place it over the end of of the ZZipper mount that is on the front
fork and bolt the ZZipper back on.

What I did was use a piece of rubber that was 1/8" thick X 3/4" wide X 2
3/8" long because that's what I had in the garage. I bent it over the
fairing mount and drilled a 1/4" hole through both ends of the rubber.
Then mounted the fairing. From the front side of the fairing the order
is: the bolt, the nylon washer that comes with the bolt, the rubber
washer that comes with bolt, the fairing, one end of the piece of
rubber, the mount, the other end of the rubber, the nylon wing nut. I
did this on both sides.

I don't know if this is how Bruce did it but it did work for me. I did a
ride today of about 7 miles and no road noise form the fairing.

I used 1/8" thick rubber and think that if you used 3/16" thick rubber
that you would have a hard time getting the the wing nut back on without
using longer bolts. But I could be wrong.

Mike, my wife and I both have TE's and don't know how we ever survived
riding anything else. Good luck!!

:D :D :D

--
Wayne

[...]

August 31st 03, 01:51 PM
Wayne - Thanks for the followup posting. I'll give this mod a try.

Randy Brown
August 31st 03, 01:51 PM
Wayne - Thanks for the followup posting. I'll give this mod a try.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home