PDA

View Full Version : Re: Help on Building a TailBox/Trunk

Mike
September 1st 03, 09:43 PM
Try this link http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/fairings.htm
"stratrider" > wrote in message
m...
> I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I
> have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my Stratus. I'd like to build a
> weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
> commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a
> finished product that doesn't look like a grammar school kid's first
> attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
> Jim Reilly

Dave Clary
September 2nd 03, 02:16 AM
On 1 Sep 2003 11:30:51 -0700, (stratrider) wrote:

>I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I
>have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my Stratus. I'd like to build a
>weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
>commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a
>finished product that doesn't look like a grammar school kid's first
>attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
>Jim Reilly

You can do some pretty nice work with coroplast. This link below is
what I ended up with after I started stripping down my fully faired
P38. This tailbox is sturdy, has good capacity, and looks pretty
decent IMHO (although you might want to forgo the decal <g>). If you
go to my main page, you can see a view of the inside.

http://www.geocities.com/texasp38/p38fc.html

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

Dave Clary
September 2nd 03, 02:16 AM
On 1 Sep 2003 11:30:51 -0700, (stratrider) wrote:

>I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I
>have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my Stratus. I'd like to build a
>weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
>commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a
>finished product that doesn't look like a grammar school kid's first
>attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
>Jim Reilly

You can do some pretty nice work with coroplast. This link below is
what I ended up with after I started stripping down my fully faired
P38. This tailbox is sturdy, has good capacity, and looks pretty
decent IMHO (although you might want to forgo the decal <g>). If you
go to my main page, you can see a view of the inside.

http://www.geocities.com/texasp38/p38fc.html

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
EZ-1SC Pilot (Texas P-38 Squadron Retired)
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
P-38 Stuff: http://www.geocities.com/TexasP38/TexasP38.html

Jeff Wills
September 2nd 03, 04:25 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message >...
> Try this link http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/fairings.htm

My instructions for building a Coroplast tailbox are at
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/tailbox/index.htm
and the results are at
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/tailbox2/index.html

I can build a Coroplast tailbox in about 4 hours. If you want to make
one fancier, it would probably take a little longer, but I can't see
more than 3 evenings worth of work.

Jeff

Jeff Wills
September 2nd 03, 04:25 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message >...
> Try this link http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/fairings.htm

My instructions for building a Coroplast tailbox are at
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/tailbox/index.htm
and the results are at
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/tailbox2/index.html

I can build a Coroplast tailbox in about 4 hours. If you want to make
one fancier, it would probably take a little longer, but I can't see
more than 3 evenings worth of work.

Jeff

stratrider
September 2nd 03, 08:27 PM
Nice work....

stratrider
September 2nd 03, 08:27 PM
Nice work....

Robert Haston
September 3rd 03, 09:38 PM
Make it out of cardboard and duct tape first, as a model.

"stratrider" > wrote in message
m...
> I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I
> have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my Stratus. I'd like to build a
> weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
> commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a
> finished product that doesn't look like a grammar school kid's first
> attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
> Jim Reilly

Robert Haston
September 3rd 03, 09:38 PM
Make it out of cardboard and duct tape first, as a model.

"stratrider" > wrote in message
m...
> I love the Angletech TailBox but it's way to much money for me. I
> have a Blackburn Mtn Rack on my Stratus. I'd like to build a
> weatherproof trunk/tailbox large enough to receive my day bag (as I
> commute). I'd like to use a lightweight material and create a
> finished product that doesn't look like a grammar school kid's first
> attempt at building a kite! Any thoughts.
>
> Jim Reilly

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home