PDA

View Full Version : speed, wheels, and inline skaters

skott
September 10th 03, 07:23 PM
I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
(mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
psi the faster. Any thoughts?

Skott

Mike
September 10th 03, 08:13 PM
I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller blader
moving that fast.

"skott" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
> think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
> can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
> are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
> lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
> stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
> rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
> psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
> Skott

Mike
September 10th 03, 08:13 PM
I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller blader
moving that fast.

"skott" > wrote in message
om...
> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
> think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
> can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
> are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
> lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
> stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
> rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
> psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
> Skott

Cletus Lee
September 10th 03, 09:11 PM
In article >, says...

> I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller blader
> moving that fast.

Then come on out and ride my Saturday AM ride. Part of our ride passes through Houston's
Memorial Park. There, you can find the "picnic loop" a 1.2 mile meandering loop. Mostly closed
to vehicular traffic on Saturday mornings, it is frequented by the speed types both on bike and
blade. While waiting for the others in my group to catch up, I do loops with the other
cyclists. I try to maintain 20-24 mph. The roller blade pace lines often match my speed. Last
Fall there was a little 12-14 y.o. girl that would leave almost anyone (bike or blade)
struggling to keep up. You can easily identify the serious bladers. They are the ones in full
tuck, arms behind the back They are about as aero as a serious DF and without the extra 19 lb
of metal.
--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Cletus Lee
September 10th 03, 09:11 PM
In article >, says...

> I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller blader
> moving that fast.

Then come on out and ride my Saturday AM ride. Part of our ride passes through Houston's
Memorial Park. There, you can find the "picnic loop" a 1.2 mile meandering loop. Mostly closed
to vehicular traffic on Saturday mornings, it is frequented by the speed types both on bike and
blade. While waiting for the others in my group to catch up, I do loops with the other
cyclists. I try to maintain 20-24 mph. The roller blade pace lines often match my speed. Last
Fall there was a little 12-14 y.o. girl that would leave almost anyone (bike or blade)
struggling to keep up. You can easily identify the serious bladers. They are the ones in full
tuck, arms behind the back They are about as aero as a serious DF and without the extra 19 lb
of metal.
--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Lightning Voyager
http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

speedracer
September 10th 03, 09:53 PM
I believe that the record for 1 hr inline is about 23 miles/hr, and
the 6 hour inline is about 17.5 miles/hour. I would guess that they
can get up to sprint speeds of what most of us can do on our bikes.
I've seen some pretty impressive speeds of skaters, but didn't have a
radar gun handy. :p

speedracer
September 10th 03, 09:53 PM
I believe that the record for 1 hr inline is about 23 miles/hr, and
the 6 hour inline is about 17.5 miles/hour. I would guess that they
can get up to sprint speeds of what most of us can do on our bikes.
I've seen some pretty impressive speeds of skaters, but didn't have a
radar gun handy. :p

Tom Blum
September 10th 03, 10:33 PM
I see skaters on the Van Fleet trail, in central florida, who easily cruise
at 15.

One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"

Believe it, my friend.
--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum
Winter Haven, Florida
Homebuilts: SWB
Tour Easy Clone
Speed Machine Clone
High Racer Clone
www.gate.net/~teblum

Tom Blum
September 10th 03, 10:33 PM
I see skaters on the Van Fleet trail, in central florida, who easily cruise
at 15.

One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"

Believe it, my friend.
--
Miles of Smiles,

Tom Blum
Winter Haven, Florida
Homebuilts: SWB
Tour Easy Clone
Speed Machine Clone
High Racer Clone
www.gate.net/~teblum

Alan Weiss
September 10th 03, 11:13 PM
I believe it has more to do with "impedance matching" than wheel size.
The concept is this. Your body has speeds with which it is naturally
able to move. You can't really extract power from biking at a cadence
above 150 rpm, for example, and you aren't going to extract much at 15
rpm either. Your muscles and bones and such have natural speeds with
which they can effectively expend power. This is one reason you can bike
much faster than you can walk or run, too: you just can't move your legs
all that fast when running, even if you were suspended in the air by a
rope, for example, how fast could you move your legs back and forth
pushing on nothing? Bicycles "gear up", giving you something to push
against even when you are already moving fast, without having your legs
move faster than their natural power region.

Similarly, skaters "gear up," but in a way that may not be so obvious.
They mostly push sideways, angling their skates out a bit so that a
sideways thrust becomes forward motion. Now if they have their skates at
a large angle, they accelerate quickly but don't go very far (low gear).
If their skates are nearly parallel to the direction of motion then they
go a long way on one thrust, but don't accelerate much (high gear). So
until losses set in from the air, rolling resistance, etc., skaters and
cyclists have the same sort of force/acceleration abilities. Wheel size
changes rolling resistance, but it's not a huge factor at lower speeds.
Of course, different muscles are used, and skaters probably do have much
higher rolling resistance from those small wheels, but they sure can go
fast on smooth pavement, same as you.

Alan Weiss
NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider
and ex-physics major

skott wrote:

> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
> think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
> can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
> are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
> lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
> stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
> rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
> psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
> Skott

MLB
September 10th 03, 11:16 PM
"Tom Blum" > wrote in
ink.net:

> I see skaters on the Van Fleet trail, in central florida, who easily
> cruise at 15.
>
> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 (
> Hey!! I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught
> us, skated alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
>
> Believe it, my friend.
> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum
> Winter Haven, Florida
> Homebuilts: SWB
> Tour Easy Clone
> Speed Machine Clone
> High Racer Clone
> www.gate.net/~teblum

There is a skater guy on my regular ride. I have a hard time reeling him
in, he's usually around 17-18mph, for most of the 12 mile trail.
Believe it is right!

MLB
September 10th 03, 11:16 PM
"Tom Blum" > wrote in
ink.net:

> I see skaters on the Van Fleet trail, in central florida, who easily
> cruise at 15.
>
> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 (
> Hey!! I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught
> us, skated alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
>
> Believe it, my friend.
> --
> Miles of Smiles,
>
> Tom Blum
> Winter Haven, Florida
> Homebuilts: SWB
> Tour Easy Clone
> Speed Machine Clone
> High Racer Clone
> www.gate.net/~teblum

There is a skater guy on my regular ride. I have a hard time reeling him
in, he's usually around 17-18mph, for most of the 12 mile trail.
Believe it is right!

Mark Leuck
September 11th 03, 01:17 AM
I was doing 19 in my low racer last week and was scared half to death when a
girl rollerblading was a foot behind me.

I don't know how they can do that either but they can

"Mike" > wrote in message
> I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller
blader
> moving that fast.
>
> "skott" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> > mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> > trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> > (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> > racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
> > think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
> > can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
> > are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
> > lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
> > stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
> > rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
> > psi the faster. Any thoughts?
> >
> > Skott

Andrea Garrett
September 11th 03, 01:27 AM
They have bigger balls

skott wrote:

> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
> think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
> can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
> are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
> lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
> stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
> rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
> psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
> Skott

Andrea Garrett
September 11th 03, 01:27 AM
They have bigger balls

skott wrote:

> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
> think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
> can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
> are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
> lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
> stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
> rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
> psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
> Skott

Tom Sherman
September 11th 03, 01:39 AM
Tom Blum wrote:

> I see skaters on the Van Fleet trail, in central florida, who easily cruise
> at 15.
>
> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
> I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
> alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
>
> Believe it, my friend.

Just find some good chip seal or freshly milled asphalt concrete [1],
and the inline skaters will be out of luck.

[1] I need to check all the fasteners on my Sunset after riding on a lot
of both this past weekend.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom Sherman
September 11th 03, 01:39 AM
Tom Blum wrote:

> I see skaters on the Van Fleet trail, in central florida, who easily cruise
> at 15.
>
> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
> I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
> alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
>
> Believe it, my friend.

Just find some good chip seal or freshly milled asphalt concrete [1],
and the inline skaters will be out of luck.

[1] I need to check all the fasteners on my Sunset after riding on a lot
of both this past weekend.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Tom Sherman
September 11th 03, 01:42 AM
wrote:

> Tom Sherman > wrote:
>
> : Tom Blum wrote:
>
> :> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
> :> I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
> :> alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
> :>
> :> Believe it, my friend.
>
> : Just find some good chip seal or freshly milled asphalt concrete [1],
> : and the inline skaters will be out of luck.
>
> Isn't it unsporting to attack on the chipseal sections?

As always, ask yourself, WWFD? [1]

On a more serious note, when passing through a small East-Central
Illinois town on a club ride, a group of teenaged inline skaters decided
to give chase to our group. A girl in the group went flat on her face
trying to traverse a rough spot in the pavement. Fortunately, her
injuries were minor enough to not require medical attention.

[1] What Would Fabrizio Do?

wrote:

> Tom Sherman > wrote:
>
> : Tom Blum wrote:
>
> :> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
> :> I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
> :> alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
> :>
> :> Believe it, my friend.
>
> : Just find some good chip seal or freshly milled asphalt concrete [1],
> : and the inline skaters will be out of luck.
>
> Isn't it unsporting to attack on the chipseal sections?

As always, ask yourself, WWFD? [1]

On a more serious note, when passing through a small East-Central
Illinois town on a club ride, a group of teenaged inline skaters decided
to give chase to our group. A girl in the group went flat on her face
trying to traverse a rough spot in the pavement. Fortunately, her
injuries were minor enough to not require medical attention.

[1] What Would Fabrizio Do?

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

September 11th 03, 01:45 AM
Tom Sherman > wrote:

: Tom Blum wrote:

:> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
:> I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
:> alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
:>
:> Believe it, my friend.

: Just find some good chip seal or freshly milled asphalt concrete [1],
: and the inline skaters will be out of luck.

Isn't it unsporting to attack on the chipseal sections?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

September 11th 03, 01:45 AM
Tom Sherman > wrote:

: Tom Blum wrote:

:> One racer, when my friend and I passed him with malice, at about 20 ( Hey!!
:> I didn't say WE were faster!!) , accellerated, quickly caught us, skated
:> alongside and said "Trying a breakaway, huh?"
:>
:> Believe it, my friend.

: Just find some good chip seal or freshly milled asphalt concrete [1],
: and the inline skaters will be out of luck.

Isn't it unsporting to attack on the chipseal sections?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Gary
September 11th 03, 02:46 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message >...
> I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller blader
> moving that fast.

Check out the movie "Airborne" sometime. The last 20 minutes in
particular. Of course, they're racing downhill but they're still
haulin boody. I'm a fat old fart and I can still cruise along pretty
good on the flats and being heavy I can smoke my son on the downhills.
The problem with that is not only stopping but also KEEPING from
stopping. I hit a small piece of white rock once while zingin down a
hill and I was like a Heywood Banks tune: YEAH TOAST!!!

Gary
September 11th 03, 02:46 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message >...
> I think you should check your speedometer, I have never seen a roller blader
> moving that fast.

Check out the movie "Airborne" sometime. The last 20 minutes in
particular. Of course, they're racing downhill but they're still
haulin boody. I'm a fat old fart and I can still cruise along pretty
good on the flats and being heavy I can smoke my son on the downhills.
The problem with that is not only stopping but also KEEPING from
stopping. I hit a small piece of white rock once while zingin down a
hill and I was like a Heywood Banks tune: YEAH TOAST!!!

RCPINTO
September 11th 03, 04:12 AM
>I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
>mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
>trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
>(mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
>racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
>think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
>can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
>are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
>lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
>stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
>rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
>psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
>Skott

Hi Skott

Glad you are enjoying your Corsa, it is a great bike!

Big wheels are most definitely lower rolling resistance than small wheels
if all else is equal (width, construction, pressure) with research going back
well over 100 years in train, car, and bike wheels. Rolling resistance is
inversely proportional to diameter on smooth surfaces, but can get
proportionally worse as the wheels get smaller on rougher surfaces. Bicycling
Science, High Tech Cycling, and Bicycle Design are a few books that cover that
research in bicycle tire rolling resistance.

Can very fast bikes be made that use small wheels? Absolutely! Its more
complicated than just rolling resistance, with aerodynamics being the majority
of the drag over about 10 or 11 MPH on most fast upright racing bicycles.

I could only find the inline ~~ hour record at about 24 MPH for a little
over an hour (without drafting) by Derek Parra (did'nt he win a Olympic medal
in ice speed skating?)

A very fast time by a world class skater and athlete, but just not in the
same speed class as can be acheived by much lower capacity athletes on
non-faired fast bicycles.

How much is due to the skaters aerodynamics, higher rolling resistance, or
ability to deliver power to the ground efficiently I just don't know.

Enjoy your bike, and it sounds like chasing the fast bladers will be good
training in your area!

Tailwinds
Rich Pinto
Bacchetta Bicycles

RCPINTO
September 11th 03, 04:12 AM
>I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
>mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
>trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
>(mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
>racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that? Many people on this forum
>think bigger wheels are faster but these guys are on micro wheels. I
>can't believe their bearings are that much better and they certainly
>are not more aerodynamic in their body position. So, does the answer
>lie in hard wheels or is their some incredible power in their leg
>stroke? I wonder how fast a fully suspended recumbent would be if it
>rode on hard,ie.,noncompliant, wheels?. Perhaps that is why the more
>psi the faster. Any thoughts?
>
>Skott

Hi Skott

Glad you are enjoying your Corsa, it is a great bike!

Big wheels are most definitely lower rolling resistance than small wheels
if all else is equal (width, construction, pressure) with research going back
well over 100 years in train, car, and bike wheels. Rolling resistance is
inversely proportional to diameter on smooth surfaces, but can get
proportionally worse as the wheels get smaller on rougher surfaces. Bicycling
Science, High Tech Cycling, and Bicycle Design are a few books that cover that
research in bicycle tire rolling resistance.

Can very fast bikes be made that use small wheels? Absolutely! Its more
complicated than just rolling resistance, with aerodynamics being the majority
of the drag over about 10 or 11 MPH on most fast upright racing bicycles.

I could only find the inline ~~ hour record at about 24 MPH for a little
over an hour (without drafting) by Derek Parra (did'nt he win a Olympic medal
in ice speed skating?)

A very fast time by a world class skater and athlete, but just not in the
same speed class as can be acheived by much lower capacity athletes on
non-faired fast bicycles.

How much is due to the skaters aerodynamics, higher rolling resistance, or
ability to deliver power to the ground efficiently I just don't know.

Enjoy your bike, and it sounds like chasing the fast bladers will be good
training in your area!

Tailwinds
Rich Pinto
Bacchetta Bicycles

Steve McDonald
September 11th 03, 05:51 AM
There's an older type of racing roller skate that has one-way
rachets on the wheels, like the freewheel gear clusters on a bike. You
don't have to draw them back sideways to catch some forward thrust, but
you can pull straight back. The wheels are in a 2X2 configuration
rather than inline. They are often used with ski poles and I've seen a
few expert skaters going faster with them than any inline skater could
do.

They are only rarely used in the U.S. and are more expensive than
most inline models. All the people with who I've talked at inline skate
shops, knew nothing about them. They got blank looks on their faces
when I tried to describe them and how fast they could allow a person to
skate. Nothing could possibly be faster than their inline skates,
according to them.

A couple of guys used them on our bikepaths to commute the 10 miles
from their residence to the university in past years. They could outrun
all but the fastest bicyclists. The one-way ratchets are especially
effective when skating uphill, compared to the inline two-way wheels.
The ski poles would be handy instruments to wield against harrassing
motorists or attack dogs, ne c'est-pas?

Steve McDonald

[...]

Bill Anton
September 11th 03, 05:29 PM
(skott) wrote in message >...
> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that?

Well, I guess there's skaters, and then there's SKATERS. I seem to
remember when Eric Heiden was skating in the olympics he had 29-inch
thighs. How many cyclists do you know with that much muscle mass?
Heiden skated the 10,000m in a world record time of 14:28.13 back in
1980. That's 41.468 km/h or 25.676 MPH average over a 6.25 mile
course. Not bad. Of course, ice is a lot slicker than chip-seal, but
he also had to negotiate a lot of turns. No doubt he could go even
faster on a straight course.

Bill Anton
September 11th 03, 05:29 PM
(skott) wrote in message >...
> I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that?

Well, I guess there's skaters, and then there's SKATERS. I seem to
remember when Eric Heiden was skating in the olympics he had 29-inch
thighs. How many cyclists do you know with that much muscle mass?
Heiden skated the 10,000m in a world record time of 14:28.13 back in
1980. That's 41.468 km/h or 25.676 MPH average over a 6.25 mile
course. Not bad. Of course, ice is a lot slicker than chip-seal, but
he also had to negotiate a lot of turns. No doubt he could go even
faster on a straight course.

MortDubois
September 12th 03, 04:01 AM
(Bill Anton) wrote in message >...
> (skott) wrote in message >...
> > I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> > mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> > trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> > (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> > racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that?
>
> Well, I guess there's skaters, and then there's SKATERS. I seem to
> remember when Eric Heiden was skating in the olympics he had 29-inch
> thighs. How many cyclists do you know with that much muscle mass?
> Heiden skated the 10,000m in a world record time of 14:28.13 back in
> 1980. That's 41.468 km/h or 25.676 MPH average over a 6.25 mile
> course. Not bad. Of course, ice is a lot slicker than chip-seal, but
> he also had to negotiate a lot of turns. No doubt he could go even
> faster on a straight course.

5 years later, in 1985, Heiden won the inaugural USPro cycling
championships in Philadelphia - which was a ride of 156 miles,
including 10 laps up the manayunk wall (.6 miles @18% gradient) He
weighed a little less, but still won the sprint easily. Superior
aerobic capacity quickly rises to the top of any sport.

MortDubois
September 12th 03, 04:01 AM
(Bill Anton) wrote in message >...
> (skott) wrote in message >...
> > I have been enjoying my new Corsa and am able to cruise in the low to
> > mid 20's but I am always amazed when I encounter inline skaters on the
> > trails. They can move right along in the hi teens and low twenty's
> > (mph) without the mechanical advantage of a gear system. The top
> > racers run at 27 mph. How do they do that?
>
> Well, I guess there's skaters, and then there's SKATERS. I seem to
> remember when Eric Heiden was skating in the olympics he had 29-inch
> thighs. How many cyclists do you know with that much muscle mass?
> Heiden skated the 10,000m in a world record time of 14:28.13 back in
> 1980. That's 41.468 km/h or 25.676 MPH average over a 6.25 mile
> course. Not bad. Of course, ice is a lot slicker than chip-seal, but
> he also had to negotiate a lot of turns. No doubt he could go even
> faster on a straight course.

5 years later, in 1985, Heiden won the inaugural USPro cycling
championships in Philadelphia - which was a ride of 156 miles,
including 10 laps up the manayunk wall (.6 miles @18% gradient) He
weighed a little less, but still won the sprint easily. Superior
aerobic capacity quickly rises to the top of any sport.

JoanD'arcRoast
September 12th 03, 06:44 AM
In article >,
Steve McDonald > wrote:

> There's an older type of racing roller skate that has one-way
> rachets on the wheels, like the freewheel gear clusters on a bike.

That is so cool! Any name brands to google?

Steve McDonald
September 12th 03, 01:06 PM
Joan D'arc Roast,

I don't know any brand names for the rachet-wheeled skates. It's
been several years since anyone around here has had them. I believe
they are mainly used in Europe, so websites on skating from there might
have some information. They are probably being pushed into obscurity by
the inline skate craze, but there might be some surviving aficinados of
them, somewhere. I might consider getting a pair, if I knew of a good
source.
They'd make a good, low-impact substitute for running and with the
poles, would be more fun for off-season cross-country skiers, than those
cumbersome roller skies. Nice thing about them, is that with the
straight-back pull, you don't go waltzing all over the bikepath, as you
do with the angled pull of inline skates.

Steve McDonald

rorschandt
September 12th 03, 02:51 PM
JoanD'arcRoast > wrote in
s.com:

> In article >,
> Steve McDonald > wrote:
>
>> There's an older type of racing roller skate that has one-way
>> rachets on the wheels, like the freewheel gear clusters on a bike.
>
> That is so cool! Any name brands to google?

This place sells them http://www.velotique.com/rski.htm I don't know
anything about the company, just did a quick look up.

Steve McDonald
September 13th 03, 08:07 AM
The equipment sold by Velotique seems to be all roller skies, not
ratcheted roller skates. The roller skies are purposely built to be
harder to push, so they will duplicate the resistence of cross-country
skies on snow. I have a lot of respect for the people I've seen having
hardcore workouts on them.

Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald
September 13th 03, 11:28 AM
No need to tell me-----I know-----the plural of ski is skis.
"Skies" is a verb. I have written "skis" 100 times on my blackboard in
penance.

Steve McDonald

September 17th 03, 01:15 PM
Steve McDonald > wrote:

: No need to tell me-----I know-----the plural of ski is skis.
: "Skies" is a verb. I have written "skis" 100 times on my blackboard in
: penance.

Skies is not a plural of sky?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Steve McDonald
September 18th 03, 04:27 AM
Risto Varanka wrote:

>Skies is not a plural of sky?

Yes, eventually I'll get it straight. I'm beginning to understand
how confusing English can be to beginners, if native speakers can't
avoid mistakes with such words.

Steve McDonald

September 18th 03, 10:06 AM
Steve McDonald > wrote:

: Risto Varanka wrote:

:>Skies is not a plural of sky?
: ---------------------------------------------------------------

: Yes, eventually I'll get it straight. I'm beginning to understand
: how confusing English can be to beginners, if native speakers can't
: avoid mistakes with such words.

Maybe beginners who learn in the classroom are lucky indeed...

But don't worry. As the beginners over the years get more and more
fluent and used to using English, they'll start making the same
kind of mistakes as the natives, so you are not alone in setting a
bad example! :-)

It's these languages that lack the isomorphism between
pronounciation and writing... fortunately in Finnish writing is
still so fresh we don't have this problem... not yet that is...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Google