PDA

View Full Version : Who also reads BROL forums?

Rob Rudeski
September 12th 03, 11:13 PM
Hi All,

In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at
BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me
that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting to
both places.

So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

--
Rob Rudeski
Trenton, GA

MLB
September 12th 03, 11:46 PM
"Rob Rudeski" > wrote in
:

> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the
> forums at BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the
> thought occurred to me that the majority of us read both, so there
> isn't much gained in posting to both places.
>
> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

Read em back to back.

Bob Stan
September 12th 03, 11:51 PM
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:13:33 -0400, Rob Rudeski wrote:
>So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

I read

Hellbent Rick
September 13th 03, 12:54 AM
Yep, I try to read all venues.

Rmh
"Rob Rudeski" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
at
> BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
me
> that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
> both places.
>
> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
>
> --
> Rob Rudeski
> Trenton, GA
> RANS V2

EZ Biker :-\)
September 13th 03, 03:55 AM
Me too, I read and enjoy them both, along with my local SFRR and Bacchetta
Yahoo talk group sites.
Ken aka EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Aero & GRR Ti Pilot)

"Rob Rudeski" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
at
> BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
me
> that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
> both places.
>
> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
>
> --
> Rob Rudeski
> Trenton, GA
> RANS V2

Eddie H
September 13th 03, 05:11 AM
Yes, BROL lurker here. Also sometimes post under the "Recumbent"
topic at http://www.bikeforums.net/

Eddie
"Rob Rudeski" > wrote in message >...
> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at
> BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me
> that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting to
> both places.
>
> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

ai4i
September 13th 03, 11:03 AM
I do and I got myself into trouble for reposting something over there that I
got from over here.
I like the way this thread is going soooo vertically in lieu of diagonally.

--

Joel Wilson
Fort Lauderdale
"Rob Rudeski" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
at
> BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
me
> that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
> both places.
>
> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
>
> --
> Rob Rudeski
> Trenton, GA
> RANS V2

Randy Brown
September 13th 03, 12:42 PM
> Yes, BROL lurker here. Also sometimes post under the "Recumbent"
> topic at http://www.bikeforums.net/

I glance at BROL and this newsgroup, but do most reading/posting at
the above. Find BROL forums a little too "SWB rah-rah" for me. Find
this newsgroup a little too off-topic to be very useful.

BikeForums posters seem more focused and answer questions more
directly than other (IMO). I also visit the commute, bike mechanics,
and safety sections of BikeForums. Very helpful.

George MacKenzie
September 15th 03, 01:16 AM
I read this usenet newsgroup, but I currently don't read any www
forums inculding BROL.

Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader
over a brain dead www interface that I have no control over?

ai4i
September 15th 03, 01:31 AM
Yes you must be the only one, because the web based forums have some
twenty-first century niceties that newsgroup boards lack, like better
organization, Email notification, being able to edit typos after the fact,
and some of the smilies transfer over to my face. I read newsgroups, but I
feel that for better or worse, most are being replaced by web based boards

--

"George MacKenzie" > wrote in message

> I read this usenet newsgroup, but I currently don't read any www
> forums inculding BROL.
>
> Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader
> over a brain dead www interface that I have no control over?

Tom Sherman
September 15th 03, 01:33 AM
George MacKenzie wrote:

> I read this usenet newsgroup, but I currently don't read any www
> forums inculding BROL.
>
> Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader
> over a brain dead www interface that I have no control over?

In my experience, all of the web forums are annoyingly slow to use with
a dial-up connection.

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

George MacKenzie
September 15th 03, 01:55 AM
"ai4i" > writes:

> Yes you must be the only one, because the web based forums have some
> twenty-first century niceties that newsgroup boards lack, like better
> organization, Email notification, being able to edit typos after the fact,
> and some of the smilies transfer over to my face. I read newsgroups, but I
> feel that for better or worse, most are being replaced by web based boards

Perhaps you've never encountered an effective news reader that'll
allow you to do things that are unimaginable on the www forum
interfaces I've seen. For what it is worth, I use Gnus in Emacs on a
FreeBSD workstation, but it is also available for Windows.

Dave Clary
September 15th 03, 01:56 AM
On 14 Sep 2003 17:16:26 -0700, George MacKenzie >
wrote:

>Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader

Nope. I can't stand using web based forums. I might Google from work once in a
while because our firewall won't let my connect to my news server.

During the Tour de France, some guy from cyclingforums.com gave me grief because
I started a thread that duplicated his. Of course, he was clueless to the fact
that it took several hours for his post to make it to usenet. Sheeesh.

I, however, have no problem with people using them who are comfortable with it.
To each his own.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary
RSG Roll Call http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

ai4i
September 15th 03, 11:15 AM
Really, the teen in the house downloads his porn with something called
NewsGrabber, and I use Outlook Express to view some technical discussion
groups. I have never used anything other than MSOE.

--

Joel Wilson
Fort Lauderdale
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subscriber
AI4I is always on the trailing edge of technology

George MacKenzie
September 15th 03, 07:51 PM
"Rob Rudeski" > writes:

> Hi George,
>
> Could you give some examples of things that your newsreader can do?

Do not bother reading the following if you are happy with your
newsreader. If all you want to do is read, post, and manage groups
with as simple an interface as possible then don't waste your time
reading the following.

To make a very long story as short as possible: I use gnus to read
Usenet newsgroups for multiple reasons but foremostly because it
integrates seamlessly with my favorite editor, emacs. Gnus has over
2200 built in functions and variables, and if it can't by default do
something I want, it can be user programmed to do whatever necessary.
Additionally, all the commonly desired functionality is bound to
simple keystrokes, so one can make very quick work of reading news.

If you've never considered customizing your editor, don't program,
don't know what editing macros are or why you'd want to use regular
expressions, then you'd have no use for either gnus or emacs, and
would find it very arcane. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without
it.

Reading WWW forums like yahoo groups is for me an extremely painful
experience compared to reading Usenet newsgroups with my tool of
choice. On typical WWW forums all you can do is read, and post, being
forced to use a brain dead pager, and an even worse editor, and you
have no control over how the messages are displayed - including not
being able to hide messages you've already dealt with. However, WWW
forums do enable one to participate in Internet discussions with a
minimal start up cost, and if that is all you want and need then that
is fine.

I won't take up any more bandwidth here describing what my newsreader
can do, and certainly most folks would not want to use a fully
functional newsreader like gnus. If you want to learn more about gnus
and emacs visit www.gnus.org and www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html.
Note that emacs is available for MS windows users. The windows
version is called ntemacs.

Gnus and emacs are free-ware, and I have nothing to gain by others
using these programs except the benefits of a larger user community.

Note also that gnus isn't the only game in town. I used a threaded
news reader called trn extensively before trying gnus.

---

George MacKenzie
Uprights and various homebuilt recumbents

Dean Arthur
October 7th 03, 10:59 AM
Rob Rudeski wrote:

> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
>
> --
> Rob Rudeski
> Trenton, GA
> RANS V2

BROL? What's BROL?

How about Mother's Trike at:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=081/081-162-01&ID=2613&Num=4

Doug Huffman
October 7th 03, 12:57 PM
Do the 'authors' of BROL try to milk the 'bent market?

"Dean Arthur" > wrote in message

> BROL? What's BROL?

Willy McDuff
October 7th 03, 04:02 PM
BROL is a site that caters to the advertisers and it is very byassed.

A.R.B.R has more information from people that ride and if a recumbent
has any problems it is better to get the scoop on the A.R.B.R.
news group where it will not get censored.

Willy McDuff

Do the 'authors' of BROL try to milk the 'bent market?

escapevelocity
October 8th 03, 04:35 PM
"Rob Rudeski" > wrote in message >...
> Hi All,
>
> In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at
> BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me
> that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting to
> both places.
>
> So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

I also read the BROL forum for what it offers. I ignore the OT stuff
here for the most part ;), but read the few pertinent topics that do
come up occasionally.

e-v

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home