PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Clothing

John Dell
September 17th 03, 02:45 AM
Have enjoyed riding this year and want it to last into the winter
months that are soon approaching. Any ideas what to buy? I would
like some good ideas to keep my feet warm.

Cletus D. Lee
September 17th 03, 02:51 AM
In article >,
says...
> Have enjoyed riding this year and want it to last into the winter
> months that are soon approaching. Any ideas what to buy? I would
> like some good ideas to keep my feet warm.

Depends on where you live.
Except for a few days in January and February, I usually wear shorts.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

harv
September 17th 03, 03:59 AM
Cletus, if he lived where you live he wouldn't be asking that question..
Besides, don't you have a fully faired bike to hide in when it gets cold or
when you want to go wickedly fast?

The right answer has to depend on your tolerance for cold. I wear Lake
winter shoes with a couple pairs of socks and my feet go numb in 40 minutes
at 35°f and in about an hour at 40°. Some people can wear a couple pairs of
sox and sandals all winter. It always seems colder when you ride on an
empty trail after dark with a couple of good bike lights, than on an equally
cold daylight ride.

"Cletus D. Lee" > wrote in message
T...
> In article >,
> says...
> > Have enjoyed riding this year and want it to last into the winter
> > months that are soon approaching. Any ideas what to buy? I would
> > like some good ideas to keep my feet warm.
> >
> Depends on where you live.
> Except for a few days in January and February, I usually wear shorts.
>
> --
> Cletus D. Lee
> Bacchetta Giro
> Lightning Voyager
> http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

September 17th 03, 08:06 AM
harv > wrote:
: Cletus, if he lived where you live he wouldn't be asking that question..

It's kinda funny how often posters fail to reveal where they live,
especially on threads where it's somewhat critical.

One can buy booties to keep the feet warm. Low-cost option would
be just wearing a wool or neopropene sock on top of the shoes. Or
maybe a wool sock and then the booties.

: at 35°f and in about an hour at 40°. Some people can wear a couple pairs of
: sox and sandals all winter.

3 pairs of socks + booties with sandals could be actually the
warmest and most comfortable option. Sandals can be quite
versatile as riding shoes, too bad Shimano ones cost so much...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Mikael Seierup
September 17th 03, 08:24 AM
> skrev

> One can buy booties to keep the feet warm. Low-cost option would
> be just wearing a wool or neopropene sock on top of the shoes. Or
> maybe a wool sock and then the booties.

I use my bikeshoes with a wool sock and neoprene shoecovers/boots.
It doesn't keep my tootsies warm much more than an hour though
so I recommend short rides or those chemical heat whatchamagoozits.
Or I can just use my regular boots since I have Shimano pedals with regular platform
on one side on the TE-clone.

This is in Denmark. -10C or so in winter but can get lower plus theres windchill.

Mikael

Cletus D. Lee
September 17th 03, 02:27 PM
In article >,
says...
> Cletus, if he lived where you live he wouldn't be asking that question..
> Besides, don't you have a fully faired bike to hide in when it gets cold or
> when you want to go wickedly fast?

No, My F-40 is not at the moment able to be fully faired. I think that
is an impractical way to try to stay warm.

Though I often see temps in the low twenties (F), my biggest problem is
staying dry from the inside. I can stand cold, and I can stand wet,
just not together.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

iLiad
September 17th 03, 11:30 PM
I have a solution, it lies in the old proverb that goes something like this:

Light a man a fire, you've warmed him for a day.
Light a man on fire, you've warmed him for a lifetime.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"John Dell" > wrote in message
om...
> Have enjoyed riding this year and want it to last into the winter
> months that are soon approaching. Any ideas what to buy? I would
> like some good ideas to keep my feet warm.

Dave Harney
September 19th 03, 02:55 AM
We ride down to about 25F and have a variety of strategies for about each 15
degree drop in temperature.

Head: Head Sweat -> Skull Cap (soft wool type) -> Balaclava (soft wool
type)

Body: Fleece vest -> heavier fleece vest + arm warmer -> fleece jacket ->
add windbreaker

Legs: Knee warmer -> add full leg warmer -> full warm tights

Hands: pull over gloves -> winter bike gloves

Feet: Best ski socks you can buy -> wind/rain cover -> bootie (make sure
they are easy on/off)

Plus strategically placed coffee shops -> stay home, drink wine by fireplace
and read about biking.

"John Dell" > wrote in message
om...
> Have enjoyed riding this year and want it to last into the winter
> months that are soon approaching. Any ideas what to buy? I would
> like some good ideas to keep my feet warm.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home