PDA

View Full Version : First week with Revive...so far, so good;-)

Edward Wong
September 20th 03, 12:41 AM
Today marks my first full week with my new standard Revive. I am
still playing with different adjustments and am amazed how the bike's
feel changes with each adjustment.

I was experiencing a very low intensity back ache just over my lumbar
area on the right side. I tried different seat and backrest positions
to try to remedy it. I thought maybe it had to do with the fact that
I am so used to the more laid back position of my full recumbent and
perhaps my body wasn't used to this new seating arrangement.

Today I tried something different. I had the handlebar stem aligned
the same angle as the fork much like the promotional pictures show.
To a casual observer, they would think it's a straight non adjustable
stem. I stopped and opened the quick release and pushed the steering
assembly forward a couple of inches. The steering action felt strange
but I noticed that I was much more comfortable. My back feels great
now;-) My arms are now outstretched with a slight bend in my elbows
instead of the near 90 degrees that they were before. I think you all
will laugh at this but the Revive feels more "aero" now! Maybe it's
all in my mind;-)

Another side benefit is that I don't feel like I'm sliding forward as
much on the seat anymore. I may still try adding a couple of washers
on the front bolt under the seat to bring up the "nose" a bit.

My overall impressions are, I am very comfortable on the seat with no
issues with "recumbent or wedgie butt" of any kind. I am getting
faster on it as I get used to the very open pedaling position. I
actually chased after a road bike on the trail I was riding today.
The rider was on the drops and doing maybe 18-20 mph and started to
gain on him but I got tired as I was wearing my jeans from work which
caused a lot of friction against my sweaty legs and of course he was
wearing the full lycra outfit. The clothing does make a diffence to a
point. This ocurred after I had made that adjustment to the stem. I
guess that's what inspired me to make that comment about feeling more
aero. The bike is such a blast to ride. It feels more like a scooter
with pedals instead of a traditional bicycle. I am also so tempted to
get a set of Tioga Comp Pool tires and try them out as I'm curious if
there will be any improvement in rolling efficiency. It's also cool
the fact that both tires are the same size...for once;-)

Well that's it for now. Hopefully I'll be able to post any
impressions on longer rides on my Revive. As soon as the right club
ride comes along one of these weekends, I'll let you all know how it
went.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

ReviveRider
September 20th 03, 04:27 AM
Edward Wong wrote:
> The bike is such a blast to ride. It feels more like a scooter with
> pedals instead of a traditional bicycle. I am also so tempted to get a
> set of Tioga Comp Pool tires and try them out as I'm curious if there
> will be any improvement in rolling efficiency. It's also cool the fact
> that both tires are the same size...for once;-)
> Well that's it for now. Hopefully I'll be able to post any impressions
> on longer rides on my Revive. As soon as the right club ride comes along
> one of these weekends, I'll let you all know how it went.
> Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Yesterday, my son and I traded bikes. He borrowed my Revive while I took
my old 15 speed mountain bike... I've been riding the Revive since June
and, believe it or not, I almost *couldn't* ride the traditional bike!
Different center of gravity, different muscle set, different
positioning, the whole bike just seemed unnatural! Almost got vertigo
and I was most uncomfortable! I went out for just five minutes and told
my son he was on his own, I was heading back to the garage!

I've just gotten too used to the Revive.

Edward, I ride with about two or three friends who are roadies and I've
tried to race 'em once. Got blown away once they hit the higher gears
and tucked! I doesn't matter though, I really like the comfort of the
Revive and I felt a lot better than many of the other MS150 riders I met
at the finish line.

Glad to hear your bike is working out for you! (My 12 year son is now
borrowing my Revive regularly!)

David R. Springfield, Missouri

--
The good traveler is not intent on reaching his destination. -- Lao Tzu

Edward Wong
September 20th 03, 12:00 PM
> I've just gotten too used to the Revive.
>
> Edward, I ride with about two or three friends who are roadies and I've
> tried to race 'em once. Got blown away once they hit the higher gears
> and tucked! I doesn't matter though, I really like the comfort of the
> Revive and I felt a lot better than many of the other MS150 riders I met
> at the finish line.
>
> Glad to hear your bike is working out for you! (My 12 year son is now
> borrowing my Revive regularly!)
>
> David R. Springfield, Missouri

David (Reviverider),

Good to hear your input. These bikes are like an addiction;-) As to
my little episode with the road bike yesterday, I have to agree that
this bike is a "cruiser" and not a "racer". I know that my clothing
wasn't the only factor that slowed me down. I mean we're talking
about his high pressure 700c tires compared to my low/mid pressure 20
inchers. It was 20 lbs. compared to my 41 lbs. and his aero tuck
against my "sit up and notice" seating position. Still I am satisfied
with the performance level of the Revive for "what it is".

I'm certain that any high/low racer owner who read my post probably
chuckled when I made the comment about the perceived aerodynamic
improvement after I adjusted the stem forward. I can hear them say,
"Yea right Ed! How can you make a barn door more aerodynamic".

I had traded another Giant product towards the Revive and cash of
course. It was a 2003 Giant Simple Single cruiser. The thing was
quite light at 27 lbs. My Revive weighs right around 41 lbs. and
feels so much more efficient, faster and pedals very easy compared to
the lighter cruiser. Comfort level of the Simple doesn't even begin
to compare to the Revive's so I'd say it was definitely a big move
upwards;-)

It looks like your son is really taking a liking to the more laid back
cruising style. You may find yourself in the market for another
Revive in the near future;-)

Happy trails,
Edward Wong

DH
September 20th 03, 03:55 PM
I should clarify what I previously wrote - re the seat, I just meant the
'nose' adjustment you referred to.

dvderek
September 20th 03, 05:26 PM
Hey what's up.
Just got back from my 6 mile morning ride.

I moved my seat forward a bit also and found that helped alot.
I too found myself slipping a bit forward.
The weather is great here in St.Louis. I may just ride again later today.
This morning my wife called me OBR. Obsessive Bike Rider.
I just thought I was having fun!
Hope all is well in Florida Ed.

David,My wife loves to ride my Revive,
But she has her eye on the i3.
Maybe I can get one here in the US.

Maybe I'll work on the revive owners page this weekend.
I know there is more revive owners out there we just have to find them.

Stay in touch.
Derek

DH
September 20th 03, 05:27 PM
Edward,

Since you have a bike in your possession, that piece of flat metal above
the rear wheel and where a bike bag will be mounted, is that aluminum or
steel? I looked today in the store and couldn't tell. It looked like
steel but I have no idea why they would use a rather think piece of steel
there.

Edward Wong
September 20th 03, 08:09 PM
"DH" > wrote in message >...
> Edward, I've spoken with several dealers here in the Netherlands re the
> seat of the Revive and have rec'd two different stories. One says that
> Giant has rec'd complaints about the seat and the models leaving the
> factory now have a modification incorporated. Another dealer tells me
> that Giant is aware of the seat problem and might incorporate an
> adjustment in the 2005 models. At any rate, they are aware of the wishes
> of the riders.
>
> I've sent a fax to Giant here in the Netherlands and am waiting to hear
> back. A dealer close by gave me an excellent price for me to trade in my
> 7 month old Batavus for the 21 speed Revive. I'm waiting to hear back
> from Giant and their plans for the seat. One dealer here has already
> added two washers to the front past of the seat to slightly raise it.
> Some of what I've just written here was also in another post from you, I
> believe.

DH, you seem to be on top of things. I do believe the seat tilt issue
is something Giant should and probably is addressing as we speak. To
me, it's not an issue but I do think it would be better to have the
capability to change the tilt of the seat. In the meantime, the
adding of the washers to the front bolt should do the trick.

If you're getting a good trade for your Batavus and along with an
attractive price on the Revive, I'd say go for it. Since you're in
contact with Giant, could you please ask them if there are any plans
to introduce the Revive DD to the US market? Thanks.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

DH
September 20th 03, 08:27 PM
Edward, if you live in the US, you should ask the Giant distributor in the
US what their plans are ... or have your LBG call for you. I'm reasonably
sure each distributor caters to the local population. I've only been
directing my questions to Giant here in the Netherlands and I have no idea
what their connection is, if any, with Giant in the US.

(I'm still waiting the hear back from Giant. Batavus took quite a while
to respond to my e-mails and Gazelle was very prompt.)

dvderek
September 21st 03, 12:23 AM
"DH" > wrote in message >...
> Edward,
>
> Since you have a bike in your possession, that piece of flat metal above
> the rear wheel and where a bike bag will be mounted, is that aluminum or
> steel? I looked today in the store and couldn't tell. It looked like
> steel but I have no idea why they would use a rather think piece of steel
> there.

I think it is aluminum, I can't really tell just by looking at it.
I'll check into it.
Derek

Edward Wong
September 21st 03, 12:31 AM
"DH" > wrote in message >...
> Edward,
>
> Since you have a bike in your possession, that piece of flat metal above
> the rear wheel and where a bike bag will be mounted, is that aluminum or
> steel? I looked today in the store and couldn't tell. It looked like
> steel but I have no idea why they would use a rather think piece of steel
> there.

DH,

It is aluminum. The only steel part might be the fork.

Edward Wong

Edward Wong
September 21st 03, 03:10 AM
"DH" > wrote in message >...
> Edward, if you live in the US, you should ask the Giant distributor in the
> US what their plans are ... or have your LBG call for you. I'm reasonably
> sure each distributor caters to the local population. I've only been
> directing my questions to Giant here in the Netherlands and I have no idea
> what their connection is, if any, with Giant in the US.
>
> (I'm still waiting the hear back from Giant. Batavus took quite a while
> to respond to my e-mails and Gazelle was very prompt.)

Yea that makes a lot of sense. After I had posted my question, I
thought to myself that it is best if I ask my LBS. Duhhhh! From what
little I could gather from my last conversation with the owner of Bike
Works, it seems that Giant has some interesting plans for the Revive
in the USA but mostly in the form of creating assessories for it. I
also believe an electric version of the Revive using the technology
found in it's LaFree e-bikes is coming next year. It doesn't interest
me but now that I think about it, the Revive can be mistaken for a
moped from a distance.

But yes, I will talk with Bike Works to see if they can find out about
the Dual Drive version.

Cheers,
Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

Edward Wong
September 21st 03, 03:53 AM
Derek,

> David,My wife loves to ride my Revive,
> But she has her eye on the i3.
> Maybe I can get one here in the US.

I guess that makes two OBR;-) That i3 does look neat. I wonder why
the Japanese market always gets the cooler stuff.

> Maybe I'll work on the revive owners page this weekend.
> I know there is more revive owners out there we just have to find them.

Always looking forward to your updates. It seems that you're always
adding new pictures or links every couple of days or so.

Happy trails,
Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

bentbiker
September 21st 03, 02:00 PM
they are very cool looking bikes, how much do they weigh?

Edward Wong wrote:
> "DH" > wrote in message >...
>
>>Edward, I've spoken with several dealers here in the Netherlands re the
>>seat of the Revive and have rec'd two different stories. One says that
>>Giant has rec'd complaints about the seat and the models leaving the
>>factory now have a modification incorporated. Another dealer tells me
>>that Giant is aware of the seat problem and might incorporate an
>>adjustment in the 2005 models. At any rate, they are aware of the wishes
>>of the riders.
>>
>>I've sent a fax to Giant here in the Netherlands and am waiting to hear
>>back. A dealer close by gave me an excellent price for me to trade in my
>>7 month old Batavus for the 21 speed Revive. I'm waiting to hear back
>>from Giant and their plans for the seat. One dealer here has already
>>added two washers to the front past of the seat to slightly raise it.
>>Some of what I've just written here was also in another post from you, I
>>believe.
>

> DH, you seem to be on top of things. I do believe the seat tilt issue
> is something Giant should and probably is addressing as we speak. To
> me, it's not an issue but I do think it would be better to have the
> capability to change the tilt of the seat. In the meantime, the
> adding of the washers to the front bolt should do the trick.
>
> If you're getting a good trade for your Batavus and along with an
> attractive price on the Revive, I'd say go for it. Since you're in
> contact with Giant, could you please ask them if there are any plans
> to introduce the Revive DD to the US market? Thanks.
>
> Edward Wong
> Orlando, FL

Edward Wong
September 21st 03, 03:14 PM
> they are very cool looking bikes, how much do they weigh?

They're about 41 lbs.

Happy trails,
Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

bentbiker
September 21st 03, 05:10 PM
Ed, have you "revive guys" seen these:
http://www.aibq.com/belize/23186e.jpg I think they had these available
about the same time Giant did, plus they fold.

Edward Wong wrote:
>>they are very cool looking bikes, how much do they weigh?
>

> They're about 41 lbs.
>
> Happy trails,
> Edward Wong
> Orlando, FL

Edward Wong
September 21st 03, 11:54 PM
> Ed, have you "revive guys" seen these:
> http://www.aibq.com/belize/23186e.jpg I think they had these available
> about the same time Giant did, plus they fold.

Oh yeah! Well I've been aware of that bike for several months now. It
doesn't look as comfortable as the Revive or as well made but then again, I
haven't seen one close up or ridden it to make an informed judgement.

You want to hear (or read I should say) something funny? When I seen the
first pictures of the Revive on BROL's coverage of last year's
(2002)InterBike, I remember thinking to myself, "No way! What were they
thinking of?". Well...look who rides one today?;-)

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

MLB
September 22nd 03, 12:14 AM
"Edward Wong" > wrote in news:g_pbb.49945$NM1.42112
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> http://www.aibq.com/belize/23186e.jpg

Here's how cool OUR local Giant dealer is.
Don't stock them.
:(

ReviveRider
September 24th 03, 04:16 AM
Bentbiker wrote:
> they are very cool looking bikes, how much do they weigh?

Bentbiker, my 2002-03 model weighs in at 34 lbs. But I've taken off the
chainguard, wheel covers, and fenders. Edward convinced me to hold off
chopping off additional parts!

David R. Springfield, MO

--
The good traveler is not intent on reaching his destination. -- Lao Tzu

dvderek
September 24th 03, 02:00 PM
Hey, David I thought your Revive looked a little lighter than
normal,(by the photo you sent me). But I really did not think about
until now.
You keep taking stuff off, and I keep putting stuff on.
Derek
http://www.revivedx.com

Edward Wong
September 25th 03, 01:39 AM
> Bentbiker, my 2002-03 model weighs in at 34 lbs. But I've taken off the
> chainguard, wheel covers, and fenders. Edward convinced me to hold off
> chopping off additional parts!
>
> David R. Springfield, MO

David,

Your Revive must be the model that was stated to weigh 37 lbs. Since you've
removed some accessories you got it down to 34 lbs. I am going to weigh
mine again. I thought mine weighed 41 lbs. I think the difference is due
to your bike not having the "box" on the steering column and a much simplier
seat assembly.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

ReviveRider
September 25th 03, 06:53 AM
wrote:
> David,
> Your Revive must be the model that was stated to weigh 37 lbs. Since
> you've removed some accessories you got it down to 34 lbs. I am going to
> weigh mine again. I thought mine weighed 41 lbs. I think the difference
> is due to your bike not having the "box" on the steering column and a
> much simplier seat assembly.
> Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Yeah, mine is a early 2003 model (maybe 2002, anybody know when the
first Revive rolled off the assembly line?). I've seen later models at
my LBS and they're exactly as you describe. The cog and gear set looks a
little different and of better quality on the later models too.

David

--
The good traveler is not intent on reaching his destination. -- Lao Tzu

DH
October 18th 03, 03:45 PM
Edward, I picked up my 21 speed Revive and have made a slight
modification. I transferred my old bike bags to my new bike and the rear
light was now recessed about 4 or 5 inches. For safety reasons, I mounted
an old Cateye light blinker mount by drilling a hole in the rear seat
above that big knob. When I bike at night, I'll just slip the light on
the mount I installed. (For theft reasons, I'm not leaving it on the bike
when I'm not biking at night.)

It would have been nice if Giant had mounted the rear light as far the
rear as possible. I might still remove it and reposition it after we get
back from Paris.

I did get a look of looks today biking around. I've only seen two others
in my general area. Later, Dave

Edward Wong
October 18th 03, 07:08 PM
"DH" > wrote in message >...
> Edward, I picked up my 21 speed Revive and have made a slight
> modification. I transferred my old bike bags to my new bike and the rear
> light was now recessed about 4 or 5 inches. For safety reasons, I mounted
> an old Cateye light blinker mount by drilling a hole in the rear seat
> above that big knob. When I bike at night, I'll just slip the light on
> the mount I installed. (For theft reasons, I'm not leaving it on the bike
> when I'm not biking at night.)
>
> It would have been nice if Giant had mounted the rear light as far the
> rear as possible. I might still remove it and reposition it after we get
> back from Paris.
>
> I did get a look of looks today biking around. I've only seen two others
> in my general area. Later, Dave

That's cool Dave! I do agree that about the only "peeve" I have with
this bike is the situation on mounting a rack bag as it should be
instead of having to move it so far back.

So far, I haven't seen any other Revives in my area inspite of the
fact that the LBS has sold well over a dozen of them:-(

Maybe you can send Derek a picture or two for ReviveDX.Com when you
get a chance.

Regards,
Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

DH
October 18th 03, 08:06 PM
I'll have to borrow a digital camera for a photo. It might be a while
before I can send a photo.

BTW, I also made the modification and lifted the front end of the seat by
using three washers. Also, my very large bike bag intruded into the space
used by the smaller gears. I punched two small holes into the bike bag
and used those plastic ties to hold the bike to the frame. It's still
possible that a fully loaded bag (on the gear side) could touch the chain
when using the smaller gears, but I"ll have to discover that for myself.

There's a ring(?) addition to the frame on the left side of the rear frame
and I"ve threaded a cable through that for use with front AXA lock. Over
here most bikes come with an AXA lock and the newer model locks allow a
cable (specially made for the lock) to be inserted. Of course, a thief
can still steal a bike of he wants to, but this adds a slight bit extra
protection. I"ve also ordered a Abus Granit 54 U lock from my dealer
which I will have when I return from a week in Paris.

I may reposition that rear light, but I have to remove my bike bag to see
if I can do that easily. If the wires aren't long enough, I'll have to
splice in extensions. I'll also have to figure out an easy way to mount
it at the end of the bike. I hope Giant will improve these little flaws
on the models for next year. (I hope Giant reads these posts as well.)
I"ll be back in a week or so (after deleting hundreds of unwanted
e-mails). Later, Dave

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home