PDA

View Full Version : Best Chain for Haluzak Horizon?

Tom Pawlik
September 20th 03, 04:45 PM
I want to replace my chain on my recumbent. I have a KMC super narrow
model which originally came on my bike. I have a Shimano Deore 9sp
derailluer with Bar Con shifters. I called my local bike shop for a
replacement and was told to get a Sram PC58. I was a little nervous
about this as this chain is made for 8 sp clusters. When I got home,
I measured out the demensions of the inner link and outer one.
I got .255 " for the outer one and .160 inner link widths on my OLD
chain. On the new chain, .255" Outer link width and .165" Inner link
width. Also on both chains, the inside surface is curved the same of
the outer links. I figure the chain sould work. Am I correct?

rorschandt
September 20th 03, 06:53 PM
Tom Pawlik > wrote in
:

> local bike shop for a
> replacement and was told to get a Sram PC58. I was a little nervous
> about this as this chain is made for 8 sp clusters. When I got home,
> I measured out the demensions of the inner link and outer one.
> I got .255 " for the outer one and .160 inner link widths on my OLD
> chain. On the new chain, .255" Outer link width and .165" Inner link
> width. Also on both chains, the inside surface is curved the same of
> the outer links. I figure the chain sould work. Am I correct?

Perhaps they meant to sell you the SRAM PC59, for 9 speed cogs. That is
what I use.

--

May all beings be happy.
May they be joyous and live in safety.

Tom Pawlik
September 20th 03, 11:32 PM
Today I went on a 35 mile ride. My 'bent seem to shift ok on most of
the gears except on my 11tooth gog. Maybe all I have to do is to
readjust my derailuer stop for my high gear.
I when I called the bike shop, I made it a point to mention that
I did have a 9sp setup, but he still said that it would work. I trust
this guy as he was pretty good with other problems I had in the past.
BTW, how does your PC59 work on your 'bent? I noticed that the
shifts seem a little snappier than with the KMC chain in my low gears.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:53:11 -0500, rorschandt

:

>> local bike shop for a
>> replacement and was told to get a Sram PC58. I was a little nervous
>> about this as this chain is made for 8 sp clusters. When I got home,
>> I measured out the demensions of the inner link and outer one.
>> I got .255 " for the outer one and .160 inner link widths on my OLD
>> chain. On the new chain, .255" Outer link width and .165" Inner link
>> width. Also on both chains, the inside surface is curved the same of
>> the outer links. I figure the chain sould work. Am I correct?
>>

>Perhaps they meant to sell you the SRAM PC59, for 9 speed cogs. That is
>what I use.

Don
September 20th 03, 11:33 PM
My Leprechaun HR came with a PC-51 chain and a 9sp Shimano HG-70
cogset. I bought the bike directly from Haluzak since they are only
about 1.5 hours away. When I asked someone from Haluzak about an 8sp
chain on a 9sp cogset they said the dimension differences were not
sifnificant. Maybe that was for a recumbent and it is more important
for a DF, I do not remember the specifics. I do remember that had a
bulk reel of the chain.

Anyway, I am still riding the same chain and cogset 4800 miles later.
Shifts great and runs very quietly. Don

rorschandt
September 20th 03, 11:38 PM
Tom Pawlik > wrote in
:

> Today I went on a 35 mile ride. My 'bent seem to shift ok on most of
> the gears except on my 11tooth gog. Maybe all I have to do is to
> readjust my derailuer stop for my high gear.
> I when I called the bike shop, I made it a point to mention that
> I did have a 9sp setup, but he still said that it would work. I trust
> this guy as he was pretty good with other problems I had in the past.
> BTW, how does your PC59 work on your 'bent? I noticed that the
> shifts seem a little snappier than with the KMC chain in my low gears.

I have no real fair comparison. I've another bike with a Shimano chain,
really don't notice any difference. The SRAM may be a bit quieter.

rorschandt

--
May all beings be happy.
May they be joyous and live in safety.
All living beings, whether weak or strong,
in high or middle or low realms of existence,
small or great, visible or invisible,
near or far, born or to be born,
Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state;
Let none by anger or hatred wish harm to another.
Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over
and protects her only child,
so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home