PDA

View Full Version : Giro 1 year report

Denny Voorhees
September 22nd 03, 02:17 AM
Well it's the first anniversary of my Giro. Here are some numbers.
3120 miles
231.8 hours road time
13.459 mph average.

[While 13.459 mph doesn't seem all that fast. . I seldom go out for a ride
and average less than 15mph. I'm really curious if anyone else has miles vs
accumilated riding time stats]

This Giro was one of the early ones. I've replaced the bottom bracket, that
died around the 1300 mile point. So far nearly 2k miles on a new FSA with no
problems. My original idler was badly grooved and replaced at 1900 miles
with an improved model freebee from Bacchetta. So far it looks really good
with over 1200 miles on it.

I replaced the chain and cassette at 2300 miles. I tried taking the chain
apart at a master link earlier in its life and not realizing it was not a
reusable link weakened it. It eventually failed. The chain was a KMC.
The new chain is a Sram pc-59 and the cassette is also a 9 speed Sram. They
work well together, and the shifting is nice and crisp.

I've had several tire combinations on the bike over the last year. The
original were the 65 pound Kenda Kwests. They worked ok, but I over inflated
the rear tire one too many times and it started to separate from the wire
bead. When Kenda says 65 pounds they mean it.
I also tried a Performance 1.25 inch kevlar city tire, with good results.
It was matched with a Primo comet kevlar and the durability and rolling
resistance seemed acceptable.
The current Tires are a set of Kenda Kwest 100 psi 1.25 inch wide units.
They roll nice and are quite durable. I've got about 1200 miles on them with
only one flat. I believe I hit a piece of jagged metal on a bridge
approach. There was a 1/4 inch cut on the front tire and a pinhole in the
tube. I replaced the tube and reinforced the tire on the inside of the cut
and have ridden it more than 1000 miles since.
One thing that impressed me about the Kenda Tire is the thickness of the
rubber on the center of the tire. It feels quite thick, much thicker than
any tire I have ever used. For my weight (250 pounds) 1200 miles is quite
good for a rear tire. I usually don't get much more than 1400 miles before
the rolling surface gets flat and the cords start to show. I think these
will last quite a while longer. The rolling surface is just starting to wear
flat.

The Giro is my third main recumbent. I've owned a BikeE, Rans Vrex (still
have it). I also own a EZ-1 that doesn't get much use.
The Giro compares very favorably with the Vrex. Speed wise they are quite
similar, my coast downs are just a tick faster with the Giro. I like the
handling of the Giro better. The seat on the Giro fits me perfectly, and I
prefer the superman posistion to the Hamster bars of the Vrex. The longer
wheel base has some nice passive suspension, yet it doesn't have power
robbing flex.

I am very pleased with the bike it has a nice combination of comfort,
handling and speed. It's my current ride of choice.

Denny in Sayre, Pa
"Bent but not Broken"
Current Bacchetta owners or prospective owners are invited to Join the
Bacchetta_Bikes egroup on Yahoo.com

Cletus D. Lee
September 22nd 03, 02:45 AM
In article >,
says...
> Well it's the first anniversary of my Giro. Here are some numbers.
> 3120 miles
> 231.8 hours road time
> 13.459 mph average.

Coincidently, this happens to be my 1 year anniversary on the Giro. My
mileage reads 3478. I have about an equal number of miles this year on
the P-38 Voyager

I have the numbers logged, you tempt me to go back and total the road
time.

> [While 13.459 mph doesn't seem all that fast. . I seldom go out for a ride
> and average less than 15mph. I'm really curious if anyone else has miles vs
> accumilated riding time stats]
>
> This Giro was one of the early ones.

Mine too.

> I've replaced the bottom bracket, that
> died around the 1300 mile point. So far nearly 2k miles on a new FSA with no
> problems.

I'm still running the original BB Probably needs to be lubed but it is
still sounding good.

> My original idler was badly grooved and replaced at 1900 miles
> with an improved model freebee from Bacchetta. So far it looks really good
> with over 1200 miles on it.

My original idler lasted ~400 miles. Bacchetta was nice and prompt on
the free replacement to correct the defect.

> I replaced the chain and cassette at 2300 miles. I tried taking the chain
> apart at a master link earlier in its life and not realizing it was not a
> reusable link weakened it. It eventually failed. The chain was a KMC.
> The new chain is a Sram pc-59 and the cassette is also a 9 speed Sram. They
> work well together, and the shifting is nice and crisp.

I have a new chain and SRAM 11-34 cassette Only because I got a new
wheel I too replaced the OEM rear deraillerur with a SRAM X.0 (Also
replaced the shifter to match the SRAM accuation.)

After a couple of thousand miles on the Giro, The rear wheel started to
creak. I first swapped it with a Velocity razor on a ChrisKing hub and
later I used the old XT/Sun wheel that was on the P-38. I do not know
what to do about the noisy OEM wheel that came with the Bacchetta. The
noise comes from the spokes when the wheel flexes each revolution. The
rim is probably OK and the Hub is too but does it need a rebuild?

> I've had several tire combinations on the bike over the last year. The
> original were the 65 pound Kenda Kwests. They worked ok, but I over inflated
> the rear tire one too many times and it started to separate from the wire
> bead. When Kenda says 65 pounds they mean it.

Over inflation must have been my problem too. My rear tires stared
separating alonge the bead too. Since the Kenda Kwest, I have had
(briefly) Schwalbe Stelvios and currently Vredestein S-Licks The S-
Licks work best for commuting.

> I also tried a Performance 1.25 inch kevlar city tire, with good results.
> It was matched with a Primo comet kevlar and the durability and rolling
> resistance seemed acceptable.
> The current Tires are a set of Kenda Kwest 100 psi 1.25 inch wide units.
> They roll nice and are quite durable. I've got about 1200 miles on them with
> only one flat. I believe I hit a piece of jagged metal on a bridge
> approach. There was a 1/4 inch cut on the front tire and a pinhole in the
> tube. I replaced the tube and reinforced the tire on the inside of the cut
> and have ridden it more than 1000 miles since.
> One thing that impressed me about the Kenda Tire is the thickness of the
> rubber on the center of the tire. It feels quite thick, much thicker than
> any tire I have ever used. For my weight (250 pounds) 1200 miles is quite
> good for a rear tire. I usually don't get much more than 1400 miles before
> the rolling surface gets flat and the cords start to show. I think these
> will last quite a while longer. The rolling surface is just starting to wear
> flat.

I found the Kendas heavy and therefore sluggish. IMO The Vreds do an
better job for a wide tire to carry the weight, road surfaces and
speed.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Alma Williams
September 22nd 03, 02:07 PM
4500 miles so far this year. average speed as kept by siesta software
program 16.2 on TiGRR with sock, in SC., age 58.
"Denny Voorhees" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
wear
> flat.
>
> The Giro is my third main recumbent. I've owned a BikeE, Rans Vrex (still
> have it). I also own a EZ-1 that doesn't get much use.
> The Giro compares very favorably with the Vrex. Speed wise they are quite
> similar, my coast downs are just a tick faster with the Giro. I like the
> handling of the Giro better. The seat on the Giro fits me perfectly, and I
> prefer the superman posistion to the Hamster bars of the Vrex. The longer
> wheel base has some nice passive suspension, yet it doesn't have power
> robbing flex.
>
> I am very pleased with the bike it has a nice combination of comfort,
> handling and speed. It's my current ride of choice.
>
> Denny in Sayre, Pa
> "Bent but not Broken"
> Current Bacchetta owners or prospective owners are invited to Join the

EZ Biker :-\)
September 22nd 03, 03:45 PM
VERY GOOD 1 year report Denny! Your overall health benefits are probably in
the Great range due to all those miles on the Giro too. Also your Bacchetta
Yahoo group is the BEST and a good source of knowledge and fun stuff,
concerning Bacchetta's.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Denny Voorhees" > wrote in message
.. .
> Well it's the first anniversary of my Giro. Here are some numbers.
> 3120 miles
> 231.8 hours road time
> 13.459 mph average.
>
> [While 13.459 mph doesn't seem all that fast. . I seldom go out for a
ride
> and average less than 15mph. I'm really curious if anyone else has miles
vs
> accumilated riding time stats]

Cletus Lee
September 22nd 03, 03:59 PM
In article >, says...

> In article >,
> says...
> > Well it's the first anniversary of my Giro. Here are some numbers.
> > 3120 miles
> > 231.8 hours road time
> > 13.459 mph average.
>
> Coincidently, this happens to be my 1 year anniversary on the Giro. My
> mileage reads 3478. I have about an equal number of miles this year on
> the P-38 Voyager
>
> I have the numbers logged, you tempt me to go back and total the road
> time.

As a confirmed 'anal retentive' I have to report an average of 14.89 or 233.65 hours total road
time.
--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Randy N.
September 22nd 03, 04:23 PM
Time wise you guys are neck and neck.
Good to see two well loved bikes.

I gave my Giro to my sweetheart and am riding
a vr40 right now.

I just do not like the Bacchetta steering set up, but
for my right arm, USS really works a lot better.

Some of the legfiets bikes seem to have a more usable
OSS geometry, but sadly, the thing everyone else seems to love about the
bike is the thing that causes me to charlie horse after 20 miles or so.
I also would drive my thumbnail into my numb thigh, cutting it without
noticing-- that was the kiss of death for the tweener bar.

In every other respect it is the far superior bike,
and as I told John S., when they make a USS bike, I will likely pawn my
shoes and go buy one.

By the way, Cat loves the new idler wheel set up that they sent to
replace the one that split in half one mile from the end of a one
hundred sixty five mile trip.

Randy

Denny Voorhees
September 22nd 03, 09:08 PM
Cletus, as a confirmed anal retentive, (I'm confirmed Episcopal myself),
what is your normal terrian like. I'm located at the gateway to the enless
mountains of Pennsylvania, to give you an Idea of the terrain here.
I know you commute daily, and overall you probably have twice the miles I do
this year (just a bit under 2800). I think we probably differ in size too.
If I were to loose say...oh 100 pounds maybe I could get my average up
1.3mph ya think?
Denny
"Cletus Lee" > wrote in message
T...
> In article >, > As a
confirmed 'anal retentive' I have to report an average of 14.89 or 233.65
hours total road
> time.
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee
> Bacchetta Giro
> Lightning Voyager
> http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee
September 22nd 03, 10:26 PM
In article >, says...

> Cletus, as a confirmed anal retentive, (I'm confirmed Episcopal myself),
> what is your normal terrian like. I'm located at the gateway to the enless
> mountains of Pennsylvania, to give you an Idea of the terrain here.
> I know you commute daily, and overall you probably have twice the miles I do
> this year (just a bit under 2800). I think we probably differ in size too.
> If I were to loose say...oh 100 pounds maybe I could get my average up
> 1.3mph ya think?

If your rides end up where you start, then I'd say your rides are just like mine... Essentially
flat. Since the up hills cancel the down hills. Right?

Nearly two years ago, I dropped nearly 20 lbs. when that happened, my average speed increased
about 1.5 mph (1.3???).
--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Robert Siegel
September 23rd 03, 12:36 AM
I'm a 7th Day Ecumenical. Also, an anal retentive. I ride a GRR Ti Rush.
"Denny Voorhees" > wrote in message
.. .
> Cletus, as a confirmed anal retentive, (I'm confirmed Episcopal myself),
> what is your normal terrian like. I'm located at the gateway to the enless
> mountains of Pennsylvania, to give you an Idea of the terrain here.
> I know you commute daily, and overall you probably have twice the miles I
do
> this year (just a bit under 2800). I think we probably differ in size too.
> If I were to loose say...oh 100 pounds maybe I could get my average up
> 1.3mph ya think?
> Denny
> "Cletus Lee" > wrote in message
> T...
> > In article >, > As a
> confirmed 'anal retentive' I have to report an average of 14.89 or 233.65
> hours total road
> > time.
> > --
> >
> > Cletus D. Lee